• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

Nova, Shockwave, Concussive Shot, Grenades, Throw, Energy Drain and Incinerate are all unseen so far.
We've seen all of those, except for the last two(I think).

The others, by default anyways, seem to be used much the same way they were represented in ME3.

Like hell we have. Unless I've missed it, Nova, Shockwave, Concussive Shot, Grenades, Throw, Energy Drain and Incinerate are all unseen so far. That's a whole discipline's worth of skills old skills that haven't been touched yet. And though you hate it, Flamethrower looks to operate just like the ME3 multi one, Pull has a mode that works just like the old version, and Turret looks like the same damn skill. Exactly how many of the old powers do you want carried over?

HGlu38a8QCr8k.gif

I was being semi-literal when I said almost everything. Yes there are a few select skills that haven't been shown, and none of them are particularly demanding of attention, ie concussive shot.

Sai

Concussive Shot was spotted briefly in last week's video, I think. Works the same.

Not understanding the complaint about projectile powers though. It's not like Flamethrower has replaced Incinerate, and even the "Cloud Beam" seems to have an upgrade that makes it operate similarly to ME3's Snap Freeze...

These powers seem to have alternate uses, but that's not what you're complaining about, is it?

Maledict

Hmm, I just realize - they said no Time dilation powers in single player anymore right? That's goodbye to my infiltrator play through then at least, I can't snipe for toffee using a console controller... ;-)

Mindlog

Hmm, I just realize - they said no Time dilation powers in single player anymore right? That's goodbye to my infiltrator play through then at least, I can't snipe for toffee using a console controller... ;-)
The cloak damage bonus was basically as good as any soldier ability for single shot or slow firing weapons. Time to shotgun everything! Hopefully a Punisher equivalent is in the game as well.

I was being semi-literal when I said almost everything. Yes there are a few select skills that haven't been shown, and none of them are particularly demanding of attention, ie concussive shot.

You're right that I missed those, but on the flip side, they do look basically exactly like what you were asking for.

X-Frame

I'm still surprised that it seems like Warp is gone. Unless it is an Adept Profile bonus power or something? I can't see why they'd just remove it.

I'm still surprised that it seems like Warp is gone. Unless it is an Adept Profile bonus power or something? I can't see why they'd just remove it.

Warp seems to have been reworked into Annihilation, which is potentially the same thing in an AoE after you put 10 skill points into it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't understand the issue with the tech/biotic/combat powers? A majority of them appear directly lifted from ME1/ME2/ME3 with marginal changes, at most merged with an existing power or drawing from ME3's multiplayer power pool that some people won't be familiar with. Numerous staples are still there even with concerns they'd be replaced by a somewhat similar power (eg: flamethrower hasn't replaced incinerate). Some are just renamed; assault turret is obviously sentry turret. Others draw parallels to originals with changes; turbocharge seems to be kinda like adrenaline rush, twisted more towards increasing damage and reducing reloads at the cost of time dilation (which may be part of the upgrade tree for all we know).

I mean I guess it'd be nice if they went clean slate and for more original powers. Honestly flamethrower seems a bit of a dud but maybe it's more effective in play. That's about it?

Yeul

I can't but chuckle at this thinking of:

"We won't release list. We want people to discover their romances. Or... You know..."
*He says as slides PRIMA Guide, $29.99, across the table*

A lot of those guide sales will be for this reason alone lol.

prag16

Banned
:(

In 2149 we discovered the Charon Relay and 27 years later we want to explore another galaxy? Please tell me there's a good reason for it, tell me Jien Garson touched a prothean beacon and created the Andromeda Initiative to get the hell out of the galaxy before the reapers arrive, or something... :(

Please don't tell me "Lol let's explore another galaxy" is the only reason behind the initiative...

FkNmj2g.gif
Yeah. I've said that from as soon as Shinobi or somebody from Bioware, can't remember who, indicated that the Reapers had nothing to do with it. "Lol let's explore another galaxy" seems likely until proven otherwise..

Yeah. I've said that from as soon as Shinobi or somebody from Bioware, can't remember who, indicated that the Reapers had nothing to do with it. "Lol let's explore another galaxy" seems likely until proven otherwise..
Eh, not commenting on the Initiative's purpose but taken at face value, I don't see why it's so inconceivable. We're sending probes and shit to Pluto and beyond when we've mapped maybe 5% of our own ocean. The hunt for knowledge and "what's out there" isn't gated.

DOWN

Banned
I don't understand the issue with the tech/biotic/combat powers? A majority of them appear directly lifted from ME1/ME2/ME3 with marginal changes, at most merged with an existing power or drawing from ME3's multiplayer power pool that some people won't be familiar with. Numerous staples are still there even with concerns they'd be replaced by a somewhat similar power (eg: flamethrower hasn't replaced incinerate). Some are just renamed; assault turret is obviously sentry turret. Others draw parallels to originals with changes; turbocharge seems to be kinda like adrenaline rush, twisted more towards increasing damage and reducing reloads at the cost of time dilation (which may be part of the upgrade tree for all we know).

I mean I guess it'd be nice if they went clean slate and for more original powers. Honestly flamethrower seems a bit of a dud but maybe it's more effective in play. That's about it?
People are negative

Thank god the previews were good or it would be even worse in here

Can't believe people are suggesting it is concerning that some powers were renamed

Whew what a subject BioWare games are

People are negative

Thank god the previews were good or it would be even worse in here

Can't believe people are suggesting it is concerning that some powers were renamed

Whew what a subject BioWare games are

It has nothing to do with being negative. I (and others) want to the game to be good, that is not a negative or bad thing.

Big Nikus

are they grabbin each other's butts ��

That's why he's making this face.

I still don't know if I'll keep the default faces or not... I don't dislike them, Sara is cute but Scott... eh, he's rather bland imo. It doesn't help that I associate him with his stupid model now. Usually I create custom characters, but these days I'd prefer to play the ones that are used for the marketing. I mean, I love my custom Shep, I find him better than Sheploo, but I've always been frustrated to not see "my" character on the artworks. I've never used a wallpaper with default Shep because of this.
I'll spend the 5 days trial debating this with myself lol

When do those prima guides get sent out? The day those hit warehouses is probably when you should eject off the internet.

In theory it should be worth the money though, the hardcover one for Inquisition was nice and made collecting all that dumb shit easier. It had lots of spelling mistakes and visual errors though.

Rodhull

Relieved to see Mike Gamble confirm it's an actual Scottish actress doing the voice of Suvi. I feared another abomination like Engineer Donnelly. It's Katy Townsend who did the voice of Cait in Fallout 4. In all honesty I found that Irish accent to be a bit off but hopefully as it's presumably her own accent being used it should be a bit more natural.

The absence of classes harms replayability (I'm going to beeline cool stuff straight away) and is effectively guaranteed to cause balance problems. When I can switch between any profile on the fly and I'm a tech god one minute and biotic god the next, it doesn't really feel like I'm playing any specific character. I'm not deciding whether I want an ability, I'm just deciding whether I want the ability now or later. And I can swap and change character skills on the fly like it's a change of pants, which feels really fucking weird.

My faith in Bioware's ability to deliver an engaging RPG system is at an all time low.
Then choose not too. Use the one Profile you want and that is your class. Don't learn skills you don't want. Playing through once doesn't unlock everything. Choose your direction and leave it at that.
If RPG's are dependant on locked types and limited options then this game is absolutely not an RPG.

Then choose not too. Use the one Profile you want and that is your class. Don't learn skills you don't want. Playing through once doesn't unlock everything. Choose your direction and leave it at that.
If RPG's are dependant on locked types and limited options then this game is absolutely not an RPG.

Agreed. I'm definitely gonna play through the game multiple times with a different build and profile each time. I might not even use the favourites change feature.

Eh, not commenting on the Initiative's purpose but taken at face value, I don't see why it's so inconceivable. We're sending probes and shit to Pluto and beyond when we've mapped maybe 5% of our own ocean. The hunt for knowledge and "what's out there" isn't gated.

There has been some speculation on YouTube and the unofficial BioWare forums that there is more to the Andromeda Initiative than just 'let's explore for the heck of it' so who knows?

To be honest, it feels like another Indoctrination Theroy of passionate fans trying to pave over poor narrative choices with elaborate secret stuff.

In any event, I'm not going to let the leap to another galaxy get in the way of my enjoyment... because, real talk, I want more Mass Effect but despise the universe-breaking ending of ME3 so this was the only way they could have gone to please someone like me.

In the original trilogy, my suspension of disbelief could handle the ridiculously fast rise of humans in galactic civilization without issue, so I'm fine with this comparatively small leap.

There has been some speculation on YouTube and the unofficial BioWare forums that there is more to the Andromeda Initiative than just 'let's explore for the heck of it' so who knows?

To be honest, it feels like another Indoctrination Theroy of passionate fans trying to pave over poor narrative choices with elaborate secret stuff.

In any event, I'm not going to let the leap to another galaxy get in the way of my enjoyment... because, real talk, I want more Mass Effect but despise the universe-breaking ending of ME3 so this was the only way they could have gone to please someone like me.

In the original trilogy, my suspension of disbelief could handle the ridiculously fast rise of humans in galactic civilization without issue, so I'm fine with this comparatively small leap.
I think that the suspicion is somewhat warranted, there's going to be a five issue comic series named Mass Effect Discovery about a Turian recruit
infiltrating the Andromeda Initiative to retrieve a scientist which has made a potentially 'devastating' discovery.

That seems to me like an indicative of something somewhat shady going on.

X-Frame

So, Annihilation is just renamed Warp, no relation to Annihilation Field from ME3 MP?

It's not the same. The Annihilation skill seems to basically be the same as Annihilation Field from ME3 MP, except with some changes made to the evolution choices now (more options) but it reduces your power cool-downs now -- so detonation spam like the N7 Fury will be less likely here. Seems more like a combat Adept power for CQC crowd-control.

Warp seems to have been broken apart into various other powers. Maybe they felt it was too OP? Warp was a direct damage dealing projectile, a debuff, a biotic primer AND a power combo detonator.

Now it seems like the debuff was introduced in the Tech skill Invasion, but Invasion does not seem to prime or detonate Tech explosions. The damage dealing biotic property seems to now be Lance or simply Throw. And of course the only biotic debuff is now Annihilation but that is AoE around the player, not something you can throw.

DevilDog

The correct equivalent would be: We have only discovered England and we want to go to the next solar system.

99% of our Galaxy is unexplored. Seeing the sensationalism that Bioware is trying to push in the Andromeda initiative makes me cringe.

I'm willing to give them a chance to prove me wrong, but saying that going to the next galaxy right now isn't ridiculous, is ridiculous.

Woorloog

Banned
It's not the same. The Annihilation skill seems to basically be the same as Annihilation Field from ME3 MP, except with some changes made to the evolution choices now (more options) but it reduces your power cool-downs now -- so detonation spam like the N7 Fury will be less likely here. Seems more like a combat Adept power for CQC crowd-control.

Warp seems to have been broken apart into various other powers. Maybe they felt it was too OP? Warp was a direct damage dealing projectile, a debuff, a biotic primer AND a power combo detonator.

Now it seems like the debuff was introduced in the Tech skill Invasion, but Invasion does not seem to prime or detonate Tech explosions. The damage dealing biotic property seems to now be Lance or simply Throw. And of course the only biotic debuff is now Annihilation but that is AoE around the player, not something you can throw.

Fucking BioWare... The one time we get (well, are forced to) choose our own stuff, i can't do the one combination i cannot? (Pull, Warp, Tech Armor, combine with an assault rifle and disruptor ammo for an all purpose class.)
I detested Annihilation Field in ME3 MP, it was no fun at all (very powerful, admittedly, but no fun).

I mean, Warp is THE biotic power for me. Not Singularity or anything else, but Warp. I mean, i'm firing goddamn warp torpedos with my mind, what's not to like?
If it was too good, nerf it (and yes, it was too good, probably).
Besides, i played biotics as ranged classes, i'm not a fan of Vanguard for this reason.

So, what else do i have? I take it i can actually have Tech Armor (hopefully it is more like its ME2 version and not the somewhat lackluster ME3 version) and Pull? But what to use with those...
Not keen on mixing tech and biotics for offensive purposes.

The correct equivalent would be: We have only discovered England and we want to go to the next solar system.

99% of our Galaxy is unexplored. Seeing the sensationalism that Bioware is trying to push in the Andromeda initiative makes me cringe.

I'm willing to give them a chance to prove me wrong, but saying that going to the next galaxy right now isn't ridiculous, is ridiculous.
I'm not sure I buy your equivalent at all, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

prag16

Banned

This. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now, and even if it ends up being just "lol let's go to another galaxy" that won't ruin the game for me. But it would definitely be a ridiculous premise at face value. I don't see how that can be denied.

I'm not sure I buy your equivalent at all, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

You defending this position is probably good, in that now I won't go in with high or unrealistic expectations for that particular plot point. And like I said it won't ruin anything for me so, eh, it's whatever.

Retrofluxed

Without defending what I haven't seen yet, moving to Andromeda does make a bit of sense from a "chart the uncharted" viewpoint since the council won't let the races activate dormant relays. It almost seems like a middle finger to them.

prag16

Banned
Without defending what I haven't seen yet, moving to Andromeda does make a bit of sense from a "chart the uncharted" viewpoint since the council won't let the races activate dormant relays. It almost seems like a middle finger to them.
Such a well organized and massive multispecies undertaking wouldn't seen to fit well with that, but who knows. We'll see how it all plays out soon.

zerosum

Yeah, this is my line of thought. It's not like exploration of the Milky Way would just stop. More of a "why not both" type situation. Of course for narrative reasons, our view for now will be contained in Andromeda, but I still assume it's business as usual back home.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, this is my line of thought. It's not like exploration of the Milky Way would just stop. More of a "why not both" type situation. Of course for narrative reasons, our view for now will be contained in Andromeda, but I still assume it's business as usual back home.
Let's boil it down to what it is. An excuse to cut ties with the baggage created by the trilogy and the endings. And that's the right move on Bioware's part. It had to be done.

From an in-universe standpoint though, I was hoping they'd come up with something more compelling than "because we can."

You defending this position is probably good, in that now I won't go in with high or unrealistic expectations for that particular plot point. And like I said it won't ruin anything for me so, eh, it's whatever.
I'm not trying to 'defend' it. I just don't personally see it as such a ridiculous notion. That's just my personal viewpoint.

From an in-universe standpoint though, I was hoping they'd come up with something more compelling than "because we can."
You're still jumping to conclusions :)

X-Frame

Fucking BioWare... The one time we get (well, are forced to) choose our own stuff, i can't do the one combination i cannot? (Pull, Warp, Tech Armor, combine with an assault rifle and disruptor ammo for an all purpose class.)
I detested Annihilation Field in ME3 MP, it was no fun at all (very powerful, admittedly, but no fun).

I mean, Warp is THE biotic power for me. Not Singularity or anything else, but Warp. I mean, i'm firing goddamn warp torpedos with my mind, what's not to like?
If it was too good, nerf it (and yes, it was too good, probably).
Besides, i played biotics as ranged classes, i'm not a fan of Vanguard for this reason.

So, what else do i have? I take it i can actually have Tech Armor (hopefully it is more like its ME2 version and not the somewhat lackluster ME3 version) and Pull? But what to use with those...
Not keen on mixing tech and biotics for offensive purposes.

Have you watched the first two Gameplay videos yet? Just curious.

The first video shows us the potential of a biotic in ME:A, even without Warp, such as the inclusion of the biotic Asari swords for melee attacks, Throw being able to split into 2 projectiles that go in opposite directions, being able to Pull on enemies and explosive objects and Hold them in place while you move and throw them at other enemies (straight Jedi powers), plus the introduction of the power Lance which is a quick and precise projectile that can headshot enemies for extreme damage. An interview with a Dev said Lance can be upgraded to be fueled by your shields (like Nova) so you can spam that as long as you have shields and chain headshots quickly.

Tech Armor is no longer an active power, but seems to be more of a passive ability inherent to the Sentinel profile. The functions of the new Tech Armor aren't completely known yet as we haven't gotten a chance to look into the Sentinel profile and it's abilities yet though.

Still, there seems to be a lot of potential and a lot of new opportunities for fun builds I can't wait to try.

DevilDog

We travelled to the moon because it was our dream, not because it was a necessity.
Break out of our shell, explore the stars, go where no man has gone before and exceed ourselves and shatter our limitations. All powerful stuff.

Nothing like this was felt when playing Mass Effect. We have barely even grown inside of our shell, we haven't even explored 1% of the stars, and the organisms/civilizations that are hiding within. Surpassing our limitations isn't a theme since science itself is something that BioWare has been incredibly lazy as time went on.
You won't see a room full of scientists working their asses off to invent technology and what not, you won't see people neglecting their lives to work more and more on the project, you also won't see the trials and errors, the sacrifices that were made to achieve this monumental tast.

And when you go to Andromeda, you will just explore more stars that you could've been exploring in the Milky Way.

So yeah, it's completely "lol let's go to Andromeda" and at best it will feature people that just wanted to get away from it all, like that movie "Into the Wild".

And that's all without touching businesses and economics.

It's a ridiculous premise, but one that I can forgive in order to get more Mass Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom