• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Nikus

I wouldn't fret about them canceling a glorified stress test. If they were truly worried, there wouldn't be a 5 day early preview on Origin Access and there wouldn't be a public hands on showing at PAX on the 10th.

Yeah, I mean, I think I remember reading that if there was a beta for the multiplayer, it would be really close to the release of the game. The 5 days preview on Origin Access kinda fills this role. There woudln't be an early access like that if they were so worried. At least, that's what I hope.

And the new thread is already a clusterfuck, I'm staying away from it or I'm gonna get mad and feel the banhammer :(

Reddaye

Banned
Yeah, since early access seems to cover multiplayer, there really isn't much need for a "beta" that serves the exact same function as far as I can tell.

Thats why I was wondering.

prag16

Banned
Shit I feel like a broken record complaining about ME threads in Gaming but goddamn don't people have anything of substance to say. Pathetic circle jerk full of drive by shitposts.

Maledict

I don't think it's cancelled because of bugs or whatever. I think it's cancelled because it's giving away something that they can make people pay for through EA Access.

Sai

;_____;

Please let the multiplayer be awesome.

I don't think it's cancelled because of bugs or whatever. I think it's cancelled because it's giving away something that they can make people pay for through EA Access.
Yup.

This has pretty much made my decision to sign up for EA Access concrete. I was just thinking about it because there were some titles I wanted to try out, this tipped me over the edge.

Big Nikus

Shit I feel like a broken record complaining about ME threads in Gaming but goddamn don't people have anything of substance to say. Pathetic circle jerk full of drive by shitposts.

I'm gonna turn the ME threads into drinking games, using Bisnic's bingo card.
It'll make the wait easier, I'll pass out quickly and wake up for the release.

Killzig

I got a chuckle about the test being cancelled because it was being voiced by PeeBee. It's not all bad in general. Nirolak is right, these beta weekends have been a huge marketing boon for games that have good mp and it's weird to just quietly cancel it in a post about pax.

Yeah... b-b-but what about this!
tumblr_olycxgTChG1qzm8mpo1_540.gif

Oh my god, I'm kidding. Don't hurt me!

Big Nikus

Isn't neogaf supposed to be carefully moderated so this doesn't happen?

Some guy straight up insulted the devs.
I quote : "Get fucked you bunch of asshole"
When I think that Aaryn Flynn and other devs are reading these threads... ugh.
People have the right to be disappointed by the news but fuck, these comments are shameful.

prag16

Banned
People have the right to be disappointed by the news but fuck, these comments are shameful.
I've heard the term "red flag(s)" enough to last a lifetime.

And then best part is that confirmation bias will dictate that most of these people will say the game sucks regardless of the reality after launch (most of which will not even bother to play it). Many in fact seem to have become quite invested in the expectation that the game will be bad.

Feel like a broken record saying "Bioware derangement syndrome" but it's extremely real.

Buckle

Thats the part that bums me out.

Devs that want to be a part of the community, poke their head in and interact with people but then you get some that just seem to straight up want to spit in their face.

As the one who posted that, my apologies. I admit that was uncalled for on my part. To be perfectly honest I'm just super frustrated. As I mentioned later on in that thread I signed up with the Andromeda Initiative back on N7 day last November and filled out that survey specifically to play the MP Beta and I just think it's a really shady/dick move on their part to completely cancel the Beta without even the slightest explanation and to do it basically at the last minute and announce it in one sentence at the tail end of a blog post detailing how they'll be at PAX specifically to show off the MP Beta. Again, it doesn't excuse what I said but I can't be the only one that thinks this was very poorly handled?

While that's definitely over the line, I can understand how frustrating people might feel at this news. Also, that guy apologized a few posts later.
Sorry, I'm just really disappointed. ME3 MP was fantastic and I was really legitimately excited for this Beta and now it's not happening and they don't even have the common courtesy to say why.

I personally really don't care about MP so it's whatever. I'm just enjoying some of the responses and gifs in that thread cause a few of them are legit funny lol

Edit: Ah, I just saw his post above mine.

Yeul

While I was looking forward to the beta test, we are so close to the Origin Access/actual release that I'm not even disappointed. Sure, I guess they can go on and "explain", but stuff happens. Everyone had to fill out that survey and it was completely optional and does not entitle anyone to anything. Besides, the BioWare Beacon will be used for future tests and the like, so I'm sure time spent filling out the form won't be put to waste.

Anyway, the Gaming side Mass Effect/BioWare threads make me want to sleep for 5,000 years. I hope the devs get some well deserved rest after the game comes out.

prag16

Banned
While I was looking forward to the beta test, we are so close to the Origin Access/actual release that I'm not even disappointed. Sure, I guess they can go on and "explain", but stuff happens. Everyone had to fill out that survey and it was completely optional and does not entitle anyone to anything. Besides, the BioWare Beacon will be used for future tests and the like, so I'm sure time spent filling out the form won't be put to waste.

Anyway, the Gaming side Mass Effect/BioWare threads make me want to sleep for 5,000 years. I hope the devs get some well deserved rest after the game comes out.
Yep. Agreed an all counts. And I have Horizon to keep me occupied for the time being. Life is good.

That's the part that really bothers me.

I remember fondly the times around ME2/3 In the old BioWare social network when devs used to have conversations with users. Some straight up said they took notes and suggestions for tweaking and enhancing the games, nowadays that's not possible anymore and much less with people showing such behavior.

Big Nikus

As the one who posted that, my apologies. I admit that was uncalled for on my part. To be perfectly honest I'm just super frustrated. As I mentioned later on in that thread I signed up with the Andromeda Initiative back on N7 day last November and filled out that survey specifically to play the MP Beta and I just think it's a really shady/dick move on their part to completely cancel the Beta without even the slightest explanation and to do it basically at the last minute and announce it in one sentence at the tail end of a blog post detailing how they'll be at PAX specifically to show off the MP Beta. Again, it doesn't excuse what I said but I can't be the only one that thinks this was very poorly handled?

Yeah, it's cool if you feel sorry for it.
But we didn't pay anything for the beta, it was just a survey, that's disappointing but ultimately it was just a few minutes lost. People are quick to get angry but perhaps they'll give an explanation later ?
I don't know, I've never felt rage against game developers and especially not for something I didn't pay for. I think you and other people on gaming side should get some perspective, getting so worked up for videogames marketing stuff is not healthy. Not for you, and not for the devs who read these comments.

Someone remember? I feel proud! I think...?

It's more useful than ever :p
Someone asked for a bingo card in the other thread so I posted it.

I'm sick of reading bioware threads on the gaming side.

People will do anything to blow every negative point out of proportion. It's infuriating, EVERY FUCKING THREAD.

Slow mo punch gif

Disarm gif

and the derail begins.

Buckle

I do think it was poorly handled and they probably should have just went ahead and had like a two day test over a weekend and got it over with.

I'm guessing they figure EA/Origin Access can fulfill the same purpose but outright cancelling the beta just looks bad.

I'm sick of reading bioware threads on the gaming side.

People will do anything to blow every negative point out of proportion. It's infuriating, EVERY FUCKING THREAD.

Slow mo punch gif

Disarm gif

and the derail begins.
To be fair, the disarm gif had a funny comment accompanying it and the slow mo punch one gave us Big show's fake punch lol

But yeah, if you guys don't want to see the same old, same old arguments then it's probably better to just stick to this thread until OT arrives. Though we'll definitely see a few animation gifs in the first pages of OT as well.

Big Nikus

That's the part that really bothers me.

I remember fondly the times around ME2/3 In the old BioWare social network when devs used to have conversations with users. Some straight up said they took notes and suggestions for tweaking and enhancing the games, nowadays that's not possible anymore and much less with people showing such behavior.

Yeah, BioWare devs loved to interact with fans on forums. It still happens a lot on Twitter, but I prefer forums personnally. Ray Muzyka (one of the founders) used to spend a lot of time talking with fans on Usenet and on the official forums later but people like him slowly disappeared with the rising negativity.

One of my best friends works at Quantic Dream so I'm always a bit upset when I read driveby shitposts in related threads (even though I'm not a fan of their games myself...). Another friend works at Eidos and both of them really don't mind reading negative comments, they find it as interesting as the good ones, as long as it's not gratuitous brutality like we see most of the time in BioWare threads here.

And an old colleague has end up in the FFVII Remake team, one of the few europeans working on it. Don't tell anyone on GAF lol, but it's especially hard for him.

While some of the animation does look kinda wonky at times (like in that infamous disarm gif), I find it a bit weird that people are saying that even the combat animation looks bad. Maybe it's just me, but I really can't see what they mean, because IMO it looks pretty decent. While it's no uncharted 4, it's still pretty decent and light years ahead of the trilogy.

diaspora

I'd never thought I'd say this but thank god for Origin. You can cancel digital pre-orders.

I think I just puked in my mouth a bit.
Why? Origin has always been better than Steam at this. Cancelled preorders, first with a refund system for ages, actual customer support.

Retrofluxed

Why? Origin has always been better than Steam at this. Cancelled preorders, first with a refund system for ages, actual customer support.

I liked it at first, but the new interface is horrible. It looks like it was made for touch devices exclusively. I scaled down the interface but it still looks like I'm on a 800x600 monitor.

Yeah, BioWare devs loved to interact with fans on forums. It still happens a lot on Twitter, but I prefer forums personnally. Ray Muzyka (one of the founders) used to spend a lot of time talking with fans on Usenet and on the official forums later but people like him slowly disappeared with the rising negativity.

One of my best friends works at Quantic Dream so I'm always a bit upset when I read driveby shitposts in related threads (even though I'm not a fan of their games myself...). Another friend works at Eidos and both of them really don't mind reading negative comments, they find it as interesting as the good ones, as long as it's not gratuitous brutality like we see most of the time in BioWare threads here.

And an old colleague has end up in the FFVII Remake team, one of the few europeans working on it. Don't tell anyone on GAF lol, but it's especially hard for him.
Yeah, no kidding. Some devs need granite-thick skin these days, I feel for them. Constructive criticism and author-audience dialogue are invaluable for any project but people these days just don't bother.

amoebae

For those interested. (What appears to be multiplayer character selection screen)

Looking at the human characters, if they're at all indicative of what the single player character creator will be like, it looks like we'll be able to make non-white Ryders who actually don't look caucasian with different skin for once. I heartily welcome this. DAI was okay for this, actually.

*shudders at the memory of DA2*

I find it interesting that her armour is designated C8 instead of the usual N7. I wonder what that signifies in the Human Alliance military, or maybe that is just a thing you can customize like a player ID.

I find it interesting that her armour is designated C8 instead of the usual N7. I wonder what that signifies in the Human Alliance military, or maybe that is just a thing you can customize like a player ID.
There's a whole Systems Alliance vocational code thing where the letter equals your branch/specialization and the number is what level of proficiency you've reached, with N7 being the really high end special ops guys.

There's a whole Systems Alliance vocational code thing where the letter equals your branch/specialization and the number is what level of proficiency you've reached, with N7 being the really high end special ops guys.

I know, I was just curious as to what the C branch in particular represents. Engineer Corps, marines, high command, that sort of thing.

amoebae

8 doesn't exist - 7 is as high as it goes in any branch. But we're not strictly Alliance Military this time around, so perhaps it's a designation the Andromeda Initiative created - broadly following the pattern of the AM but expanding beyond it?

Another One.

C54ReYWXEAEJwqV.jpg

Huh, it seems that when the objective wave starts now, all three devices spawn at once rather than one by one. Also the maps look quite a bit larger than the ME3 ones, with a lot more verticality. It'll be interesting to see how they play, especially on Gold and Platinum.

Also it seems as if you level up characters individually now rather than the classes themselves. On one hand this means that there's less downside to promoting the characters you don't use, but on the other hand it's gonna be slow leveling every character to 20 again.

I'm not usually one to be a stickler about UI stuff but I think it would be nice if we could have an option to have the health and shields portion of the screen fade away after not taking damage for so long. It seems even larger than Mass Effect 3's multiplayer health bar (on consoles anyway) which was huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom