• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very much looking forward to EA Access for this game, mainly to see how it plays on my computer, but getting a small taste of the game will be delightful in just a few days~

It'll be nice to play a new Mass Effect again!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
awww yisss

C6waeFzU8AEofal.jpg:large

Fruitster

I hope the Turian Sentinel makes it to Andromedas multiplayer. For all the great characters that were added to ME3's multi, nothing ever quite replaced the Turian sentinel in my affections. Just a great all round Mr Dependable, no flash, just got the job done.

Renekton

I hope the Turian Sentinel makes it to Andromedas multiplayer. For all the great characters that were added to ME3's multi, nothing ever quite replaced the Turian sentinel in my affections. Just a great all round Mr Dependable, no flash, just got the job done.
The original had not enough upgrade points to go around though, too many bread and butter skills.

Fruitster

The original had not enough upgrade points to go around though, too many bread and butter skills.

He was really a team player, it's rare you would ever top the scoreboard using the Turian Sentinel - but he worked with pretty much any team set up. All biotics, he could prime with warp - All tech, he could strip the shields with overload. And as purely gun based, he had the Turian stability passive. Really he had just about enough health where you could skip the health upgrade tree entirely and focus only on the powers and passives.

Certainly a bread and butter character, but he really did feel the most solid all rounder to me. His major downside was the lack of mobility. Tricky against Phantoms and Banshees especially.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I suspect at launch the multiplayer will be very bread and butter: classes derived from single player ability loadouts and generally not all that adventurous. I don't mean that as a criticism either, so much as naturally what to expect from an entirely new game. It'll take a few packs before they catch up to Mass Effect 3's breadth of unique character loadouts.

Maledict

I suspect at launch the multiplayer will be very bread and butter: classes derived from single player ability loadouts and generally not all that adventurous. I don't mean that as a criticism either, so much as naturally what to expect from an entirely new game. It'll take a few packs before they catch up to Mass Effect 3's breadth of unique character loadouts.

My real worry is the passive stat boost system that's in the game for promoting characters. That was absolutely awful in DA:I, and I see no signs of it being any better here. It makes balancing very difficult and adds a massive grinding wall to hard content, that really isn't very fun.

Renekton

My real worry is the passive stat boost system that's in the game for promoting characters. That was absolutely awful in DA:I, and I see no signs of it being any better here. It makes balancing very difficult and adds a massive grinding wall to hard content, that really isn't very fun.
Well it worked really great for Diablo 3, because people don't want to play repeatedly with nothing to show for it due to loot luck.

edit: actually, yeah repeatedly starting back at level 1 with no skills isn't very fun
edit2: you don't start back at one? GREAT!

Maledict

Well it worked really great for Diablo 3, because people don't want to play repeatedly with nothing to show for it due to loot luck.

If Diablo required you to start a character at level 1 every time you gained a paragon point it would be a very different thing.

I know some aren't into the Archon's look that much, but he's grown on me. Gives me Saren vibes. Also think he's going to be a neat villain given Saren was actually an inspiration in his design and complexity as a character.

5KoTRDd.jpg

X-Frame

He really was, especially when he was detonating his Tech Armor. Hah!

Xanathus

It's already been confirmed that there's a small limit on those stats, up to 10% for some of them. It's a non-issue.

ObsidianG

In the latest 2 streams, I noticed that although you get access to powers from all abilities trees, there seems to be a restriction based on your chosen initial skills/background for Ryder (so if you started as a soldier, you may need to invest more points into the biotic tree to access singularity etc...).

Not quite sure what the mechanic is, but it's a really neat touch to have the Ryder twins' background be reflected in the initial gameplay.

Maledict

It's good thing that Andromeda doesn't do that then

Yes it does - you have to promote the hero and start levelling them from level 1 again. That isn't fun for me, and I don't enjoy getting a hero to max level only to then have to promote and start all over again for a tiny stat boost.

So the game is a week out now and we still do not have a video of multiplayer, correct? I have found one off-camera video from PAX that was shut down quickly, one 10 fps video from a dev interview, and one two second clip from a trailer.

It sounds like ME3 multiplayer with some improvements, which is great, so why won't they show it?

Edit: Get out of my mind, X-Frame

X-Frame

I don't understand how we're 1 week away from release and we still haven't seen any uncut MP gameplay. I know there was that behind closed door video with BioWare guys talking throughout, but nothing else?

So the game is a week out now and we still do not have a video of multiplayer, correct? I have found one off-camera video from PAX that was shut down quickly, one 10 fps video from a dev interview, and one two second clip from a trailer.

It sounds like ME3 multiplayer with some improvements, which is great, so why won't they show it?
Tomorrow you'll get footage of the first mission and the planet Eos.

Multiplayer captures and livestreams are coming Wednesday.

Lt-47

Yes it does - you have to promote the hero and start levelling them from level 1 again. That isn't fun for me, and I don't enjoy getting a hero to max level only to then have to promote and start all over again for a tiny stat boost.

There's no promotion in Andromeda. You get bonus stat xp just by playing the game normally

Maledict

There's no promotion in Andromeda. You get bonus stat xp just by playing the game normally

You seem to know something they haven't spoken about before that contradicts what we thought we knew. From the preview I'd seen, you have to promote to get the bonus star boost?

If there's no promotion, are you able to reallocate stats at will between matches?

Xanathus

No it doesn't, they specifically said that you don't need to promote/prestige the hero to get progress into that stat. In fact you HAVE to be at max level in order to progress in a stat that belongs to a hero.

You seem to be terribly misinformed about ME:A.

Maledict

Maybe if we'd had the multiplayer test we signed up for I wouldn't still have misunderstandings about the system. The last thing I saw some time ago mentioned promotions, so glad that isn't happening,

Lt-47

You seem to know something they haven't spoken about before that contradicts what we thought we knew. From the preview I'd seen, you have to promote to get the bonus star boost?

If there's no promotion, are you able to reallocate stats at will between matches?

It's basically Diablo 3 paragon system but instead of choosing where you put your bonus stat point it's determined by which character you play.

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/838169001230491648
https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/838175098561523712
https://twitter.com/DiscoBabaloo/status/838521253325602816

DevilDog

I know some aren't into the Archon's look that much, but he's grown on me. Gives me Saren vibes. Also think he's going to be a neat villain given Saren was actually an inspiration in his design and complexity as a character.

5KoTRDd.jpg

All i'm thinking about is if I can play basketball with his head ring crown thing.

Killzig

5KoTRDd.jpg

His design is a little busy for me (like a lot of the character designs), and the line in the trailer didn't endear me, but I hope you're right and he's got more complexity in the full context of the story. I just hope that Saren vibe isn't
because he's being controlled by Andromereapers.

Is it just me or do the Kett look like cyborg Protheans?

Please don't be Protheans.

I think they just look like they've been hit with the Goop Gun from Prey. Better get a wrench as a melee weapon.

prag16

Banned

Cool, sounds good.

For the Access trial, the assumption is intro and first major story planet, right? The planet they're about to land on in the IGN first 13 video seems like still part of the prologue, yeah? And we'll get one MORE planet in addition to that during the trial?

Good stuff, though I think I'll skip the single player content from here on in. The multiplayer streams are much appreciated.

As for The Archon, I don't mind his design so much, I just hope he's a more rounded and threatening villain than some of the recent additions to BioWare canon like Corypheus.
Yeah I know about Solas but the main game burned me out too much to get through Trespasser
(DA:I spoiler.)

Having a good antagonist really elevates the story.

Cool, sounds good.

For the Access trial, the assumption is intro and first major story planet, right? The planet they're about to land on in the IGN first 13 video seems like still part of the prologue, yeah? And we'll get one MORE planet in addition to that during the trial?
The first 'explorable' planet you land on is Eos, I don't believe it's part of the prologue. The prologue mission happens before that.

I'm not 100% sure but I was told through a journalist that it's the "first prologue mission and first mission/world after, Eos". So, prologue+Eos.

Xando

5KoTRDd.jpg

Dunno why but he kinda reminds me of a Batman villain

The first 'explorable' planet you land on is Eos, I don't believe it's part of the prologue. The prologue mission happens before that.

I'm not 100% sure but I was told through a journalist that it's the "first prologue mission and first mission/world after, Eos". So, prologue+Eos.

Well there seems to be the waking up sequence on the human ark and then there is some kind of mission on habitat 7. Unless Eos is habitat 7 there is definitely something in between

AlStrong

I'd almost prefer it if we never saw his face. Because I'm not a belie-

Like, maybe a helmet. A dark helmet even. I'm just not a fan of the Kett head/faces so far though. He looks like the One Ring got fused into Frodo's head. :p

Ryder better have a bone to pick by the end of it for ultimate cheese factor (dialogue choice, of course).

Killzig

Well there seems to be the waking up sequence on the human ark and then there is some kind of mission on habitat 7. Unless Eos is habitat 7 there is definitely something in between
It seems from the first stream at PAX with Mac and Mike,
immediately after the events of Habitat 7 you head to the Nexus to get to get the lay of the land. You see the Nexus out the window of the Tempest before they head of to Eos to continue the PAX demo.

Van Bur3n

There better be a hilarious interruption that allows us to kill him with his silly ring head. Like it gets caught in something nasty that comes with a pun from Ryder.

Xando

It seems from the first stream at PAX with Mac and Mike,
immediately after the events of Habitat 7 you head to the Nexus to get to get the lay of the land. You see the Nexus out the window of the Tempest before they head of to Eos to continue the PAX demo.

Yup.
Im expecting that your father dies on habitat 7 (or whatever happens to him) and then you go to the nexus and become the pathfinder. During the 13 starting minutes ryder isn't pathfinder yet while on Eos he is.

Just posted this in the discord, but there's a preview of the first few chapters of the book out.

https://toronto.overdrive.com/media/3064602

Some light spoilers about the Initiative's launch and arrival, including which species exactly are on the Nexus.

The book definitely confuses me a bit, mainly the condition of the Nexus in the book is in very stark contrast to the condition of the Nexus we've seen so far in the game trailers.

How many years is there in between the Nexus Arrival and the Hyperion Arrival? Because the stuff in the book isn't solved to the level we've seen in trailers in a quick fashion.

prag16

Banned
The book definitely confuses me a bit, mainly the condition of the Nexus in the book is in very stark contrast to the condition of the Nexus we've seen so far in the game trailers.

How many years is there in between the Nexus Arrival and the Hyperion Arrival? Because the stuff in the book isn't solved to the level we've seen in trailers in a quick fashion.

Yeah that aspect was kind of surprising to me as well. The intro sequence makes it seem like the ship is damn near crippled with potentially many thousands dead. But the preview cuts off before you really find out entirely what's going on.

I have the book coming launch day. I'll probably plow through it during lunches at work; not like I'll read it at home when I could be playing the game!

There are things that happen surrounding the Nexus before the arks arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom