• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really don't know what companions I should be bringing. They all look interesting(well, Peebee a little less), and considering that this game looks like a 100 hours adventure, replays aren't going to be as easy or simple as past games, so lots of stuff are going to need to be youtubed.

prag16

Banned
I really don't know what companions I should be bringing. They all look interesting(well, Peebee a little less), and considering that this game looks like a 100 hours adventure, replays aren't going to be as easy or simple as past games, so lots of stuff are going to need to be youtubed.

Yeah that's quite a leap. ME3 was MAYBE 50 hours if you did EVERYTHING including DLCs. And that may be stretching it.

We're talking double that as the minimum here. Damn son. I'll still do replays. I'll just focus more on critical path stuff and maybe side stuff I overlooked with previous playthroughs. Played through ME3 five times and ME2 probably 7 or 8. The increased scope here wont' stop me.

X-Frame

For me it looks like Vetra and Drack mostly but may use Cora for detonations.

Sou Da

Honestly it's gonna be whichever aliens have a proper helmet at this point for me. Or at least when I'm going in hazardous parts of the worlds.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I haven't followed much on Andromeda, but I have heard little snip-its here and there.

One of the things that I recall reading, but is that the story will be much much smaller in scope than the previous trilogy and that they will be focusing much more on exploration and character development.

I really really hope this is true, because I feel that trying to create a threat bigger than the Reapers was destined to fail.

Am I remembering correctly?

Pheace

Was there any news on the pathfinder elite weapon set and whether they're actual unique weapons or just unique skins?

I haven't followed much on Andromeda, but I have heard little snip-its here and there.

One of the things that I recall reading, but is that the story will be much much smaller in scope than the previous trilogy and that they will be focusing much more on exploration and character development.

I really really hope this is true, because I feel that trying to create a threat bigger than the Reapers was destined to fail.

You are remembering correctly for the most part. There will still be bad guys who are dicks just to be dicks and there will still be ancient technologies to unearth but there really cant be a bigger threat than the reapers were.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You are remembering correctly for the most part. There will still be bad guys who are dicks just to be dicks and there will still be ancient technologies to unearth but there really cant be a bigger threat than the reapers were.

Yeah, if that is true then Bioware deserves props for that as there is always this desire to try and find a bigger and badder threat.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

They're marketing this game as being big on exploration, and the only threat we saw so far is another alien race. Nothing comparable to the Reapers or the war surrounding them. So I don't think you have to worry too much.

Xando

The journey begins on March 21 in North America and March 23 in Europe. EA Access and Origin Access members can begin their Play First Trial starting March 16 in North America and March 18 in Europe. You are invited to join the mission, Pathfinder.

Wait. Europe only gets the trial on saturday?

Sou Da

Wait. Europe only gets the trial on saturday?

No?

9df32394a5.png

prag16

Banned
Any word on when the download becomes available for the Origin Access trial? 3am eastern time on the 16th? Or something else?

So deluxe and super deluxe owners are getting some new extra stuff (after launch?) according to Mike Gamble, nice.

I'm curious what these two new Nomad skins and new casual outfit look like.

Some more feedback:

-Feels good to have squadmates early, they're all going to be around for all the adventure, so you get as much time with them as possible
-Drack is your typical Krogan badass, but a bit more senior. Peebee may divide people, somewhat like Sera
-Side quests had dialogue and always for a narrative reason, which is great
-Story is "strong"; want to explore more

Small complaint

-Galaxy map feels a little slow to load when you're moving around; preferred the old style but parking outside of a planet in real time is pretty. Physical travel speed can be a bit annoying (seems likely for loading the big 3D planet models and other space things)

Some more feedback:

-Feels good to have squadmates early, they're all going to be around for all the adventure, so you get as much time with them as possible
-Drack is your typical Krogan badass, but a bit more senior. Peebee may divide people, somewhat like Sera

Small complaint

-Galaxy map feels a little slow to load when you're moving around; preferred the old style but parking outside of a planet in real time is pretty. Physical travel speed can be a bit annoying (seems likely for loading the big 3D planet models and other space things)

JavikAirlock-00.jpg

Pheace

I wasn't sure if I should go with the standard or deluxe version since the only thing that interest me are the guns(that i might skip if they're not that interesting) and the pyjak. But if there is more goodies coming in a few months, i might as well spend the extra 10$.

Are the guns confirmed to be unique weapons rather than unique skins? That's also my main draw there.

Kind of hoping people get/run into them in the early access.

Buckle

Good to hear the crew comes together early.

Going to make a beeline for whatever gets path me to Drack as soon as possible.

I need my krobro.

Bubble

Neo Member
Some more feedback:

Small complaint

Squadmates appearing early is great. I always remember how they introduced Legion right before the Suicide Mission in ME2, and you couldn't use him if you wanted to save your crew (Kelly, Chakwas, etc). That always bummed me out.

Please have good side quests, please have good side quests, please have good side quests...

Buckle

Shinobi, are they still doing that thing from DAI where the close up and personal conversations are saved only for major scenes and most NPC interactions are with the screen slightly zoomed in?

Nekrono

Some PC performance information from a journalist with a review copy, he can't go much into detail because of the embargo but so far it's looking good:

I don't have an i5 (my laptop has an i7 desktop processor in it -- it's an OriginPC) and a 980M which is approximately the GTX 970 in power, so I should be able to cover that. I can tell you that I'm playing on High and a few Ultras without a hitch. I'm sure there will be a driver update that probably adds even better support. If you've got an i5 and a 970, you won't need to play on Medium.
I've got good news... This is my laptop, for comparison's sake: http://www.gamingtrend.com/reviews/origin-eon15-x-review-an-incredible-desktop-replacement/
I decided to pump up to the Ultra default (no tweaks) and measured with MSI Afterburner. With that and Nvidia's capture stuff (used to be Shadowplay? I don't know what they are calling it these days) running in the background, I was hitting between 45 and 60fps. For the vast majority of people, that's probably going to be fine. I'll be tweaking the settings moving forward to see what it takes to get the framerate to lock at 60, but even before NVidia's inevitable day-0 driver update, this is already well optimized from what I've seen so far. And to answer your question, that's at Temporal AA settings.
For clarity - this is at 1080p at 60hz.

Taken from reddit.

Madness

I just hope they plan for the critical story being done but not making it feel like a dead game. You know what I mean. Going to the Citadel, Normandy, Ilium or Omega once you had beaten the game meant no more new interactions, nothing new etc. Just made it seem dead. Hopefully the DLC is comprehensive.

I just hope they plan for the critical story being done but not making it feel like a dead game. You know what I mean. Going to the Citadel, Normandy, Ilium or Omega once you had beaten the game meant no more new interactions, nothing new etc. Just made it seem dead. Hopefully the DLC is comprehensive.

From what I've gathered, their intention was to give every planet a self-contained story. My guess is that in terms of post-game, whether or not the game will feel dead post-completion of the critical path will depend on how many planets you've skipped. Obviously pure speculation though.

dr_rus

Bioware is releasing too many trailers.

I'm just getting hammered with content. Too much everywhere

I went dark after the "launch" trailer. They keep showing the same gameplay stuff basically and just spoil the story with each new trailer. Just waiting for reviews at this point.

Vamphuntr

How could anyone hate Sera?

She suggested fighting a war with a jar of bees. Thats good stuff.

I loved the fact she disappeared of my game on PC. One you get the final hideout she never spawned where she was supposed to be on the map. I would still get the +/- approval anyway but could never see her.

For a quick second there I glanced at the picture and thought Ryder was wearing a green Snuggie. I feel like wearing anything but darker colours would just be too jarring and immersion breaking in dialogue.

Yes playable Salarian. What are Andromeda points?

I suppose Drell aren't in this one since they can't leave the Hanar Homeworld?
They can leave the hanar homeworld just fine. In fact, Kepral's Syndrome makes it better for them not to stay on Kahje, since their lungs can't handle the humidity.

There might be some drell that traveled along, like there might be some quarians. I doubt we'll get to see them this game, though.

DOWN

Banned
They could easily just slip a line in this game that an ark or two's location is still unverified and boom, they can show up in the next game to complete the races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom