• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taker34

Banned
Saw this today browsing google images and thought it would make a great box art if they re-released the trilogy on PS4/Xb1.

Like that?
mecompletetriloboxxeuh8.png

nel e nel

I actually don't have a problem with the concept they went with. Tech singulariity is a very real theory.

And no, getting along with the Geth and EDI does NOT prove it can't happen (this is the excuse trotted out most often to justify the xzibit argument).

Not that the concept was great, but in a vacuum I don't agree with its out of hand dismissal as dumb or illogical.

The execution on the other hand. THAT I have numerous problems with, obviously.

Yeah, that was my take too. Even the weird logic behind the Reapers themselves is a very common 'flawed AI logic' trope that is in a lot of sci-fi stuff. But I definitely agree on the execution. I was mostly disappointed that they didn't show the Grissom Cadet Biotic Death Squad, or the Geth-Quarian Alliance Infantry or Aralakh Company. It would have been super cool too if they had somehow managed to show your promoted N7 squads from the multiplayer.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not that the concept was great, but in a vacuum I don't agree with its out of hand dismissal as dumb or illogical.

That's what I meant. The whole organic vs synthetics argument was just thrown out as the Reapers main motivation was piss poor execution.

That wouldn't really work for me. I play as a mostly Paragon Shepard and I still can't stand that kid/the catalyst. It felt far too forced and I couldn't understand why my Shep cared so much about him that she was having nightmares.

Really of all things...

The kid represented all the people Shep had to save and the fear of failing. That would effect any Shepard because the psychological stress of being the savior of the galaxy is real shit.

Really of all things...

The kid represented all the people Shep had to save and the fear of failing. That would effect any Shepard because the psychological stress of being the savior of the galaxy is real shit.

Yes, of all things. I understand what the kid is supposed to represent, but I don't think they executed it well at all. Definitely not enough to make me care, which is kind of the point. Although, tbf, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much if he wasn't also the catalyst. Having it be the person who died on Virmire would have been a much better option imo.

televator

I actually don't have a problem with the concept they went with. Tech singulariity is a very real theory.

And no, getting along with the Geth and EDI does NOT prove it can't happen (this is the excuse trotted out most often to justify the xzibit argument).

I think you missunderstand the point of that argument. It isn't to say it can't happen absolutely, but that the absolute convition in the other direction that it MUST happen - as reaper logic insists - is flawed.

Infact the reapers went so far as to having to instigate this outcome themselves which in itself is an admittal to the fact that organics and synths were gettin along this cycle left to their own devices. That's why I say reaper logic was even worse than saying that it WILL happen. Because they were in the bissines of fulfilling the idea that it MUST happen.

prag16

Banned
I think you missunderstand the point of that argument. It isn't to say it can't happen absolutely, but that the absolute convition in the other direction that it MUST happen - as reaper logic insists - is flawed.

Infact the reapers went so far as to having to instigate this outcome themselves which in itself is an admittal to the fact that organics and synths were gettin along this cycle left to their own devices. That's why I say reaper logic was even worse than saying that it WILL happen. Because they were in the bissines of fulfilling the idea that it MUST happen.

This isn't the time or place for a pissing contest on this (I've been involved in many on other sites). But the only proof you have that synthetics won't eventually destroy all organics is that... it hasn't happened yet, and some synthetics right now are playing nice with organics... That's essentially what you just said.

Which was the same thing I was saying. So yes, I fully understand the "argument". And yes, you just basically made my point for me.

The game only shows a brief slice of one cycle. The reapers and their creators have been around for a hell of a lot longer, and have seen a hell of a lot more (which we don't see). Could they be wrong? Sure. Do we have sufficient information to lol at them and say their logic is dumb? No. Was the way this was all executed weak as fuck? Yes.

But I digress: The common ground we can find here is that we both think the ending overall was a diarrhea mess, yes? I haven't let it ruin the trilogy for me, and Mass Effect Next is far and away my most anticipated future game as of right now. The wait continues to cause me actual physical pain.

televator

This isn't the time or place for a pissing contest on this (I've been involved in many on other sites). But the only proof you have that synthetics won't eventually destroy all organics is that... it hasn't happened yet, and some synthetics right now are playing nice with organics... That's essentially what you just said.

Which was the same thing I was saying. So yes, I fully understand the "argument". And yes, you just basically made my point for me.

The game only shows a brief slice of one cycle. The reapers and their creators have been around for a hell of a lot longer, and have seen a hell of a lot more (which we don't see). Could they be wrong? Sure. Do we have sufficient information to lol at them and say their logic is dumb? No. Was the way this was all executed weak as fuck? Yes.

But I digress: The common ground we can find here is that we both think the ending overall was a diarrhea mess, yes? I haven't let it ruin the trilogy for me, and Mass Effect Next is far and away my most anticipated future game as of right now. The wait continues to cause me actual physical pain.

The mess of an ending I can agree on and I wasn't looking for a pissing contest. I also wasn't looking to convince you one way or the other about the whole franchise. I still find huge problems with your reasoning about the reapers. The reapers don't have proof in their case either and the very events of the games themselves shows that they didn't have a way to accurately tell the future down the finest details... let alone have enough foresight to avoid big problems.

The games themselves pretty much show that reaper logic was flawed.

Anyway, I f we must drag on about, maybe we should do it somewhere else.

prag16

Banned
The mess of an ending I can agree on and I wasn't looking for a pissing contest. I also wasn't looking to convince you one way or the other about the whole franchise. I still find huge problems with your reasoning about the reapers. The reapers don't have proof in their case either and the very events of the games themselves shows that they didn't have a way to accurately tell the future down the finest details... let alone have enough foresight to avoid big problems.

The games themselves pretty much show that reaper logic was flawed.

Anyway, I f we must drag on about, maybe we should do it somewhere else.

The events of the game show a tiny instant of time in the scope of the history of the galaxy. It'd be nice if there was more backing provided for their justification but my opinion is that simply saying "lulz bad logic" and pointing to the tiny shreds of contrary evidence doesn't hold water.

We can leave it at that and agree to disagree. Regarding the trilogy do you disagree? Did the ending badly taint the whole trilogy for you? For me it did for a little while, but that only lasted for a month or so, and after that I was over it and back in the saddle doing a fresh run through all three games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The ending did sour the whole trilogy for me. But the Citadel DLC did ease that anger somewhat. So whenever I play ME3 I always play the citadel after Priority Earth and just use that as my ending.

prag16

Banned
The ending did sour the whole trilogy for me. But the Citadel DLC did ease that anger somewhat. So whenever I play ME3 I always play the citadel after Priority Earth and just use that as my ending.

That's how I play now too. Citadel was the perfect send-off for the series for me.

Yep, that's what I did on my most recent run. I'm almost inclined to triple dip and get the trilogy on PS3 just to have an excuse to play through all three games again. If it included all the ME3 DLC I'd probably do it. But alas..

Jarmel

Banned
I think so yes, but I don't hold Drew up on a pedestal either, nor feel Walters is totally useless. As far as I'm aware he wrote both Garrus and Wrex in Mass Effect, along with Garrus' story arc in Mass Effect 2. I don't think he's a bad writer so much as maybe a weak lead writer, as both ME2 and ME3 have the most fragmented main narratives (ME2 especially). But it's really impossible to tell without knowing who exactly wrote what. People kept attributing Cerberus rise into a super group in ME2 to Walters, but then I heard that was Drew's doing, so *shrug*.

Well my understanding for ME2 is that Weekes did Garrus's stuff outside of the missions while Walters did the actual mission stuff.

televator

The events of the game show a tiny instant of time in the scope of the history of the galaxy. It'd be nice if there was more backing provided for their justification but my opinion is that simply saying "lulz bad logic" and pointing to the tiny shreds of contrary evidence doesn't hold water.

We can leave it at that and agree to disagree. Regarding the trilogy do you disagree? Did the ending badly taint the whole trilogy for you? For me it did for a little while, but that only lasted for a month or so, and after that I was over it and back in the saddle doing a fresh run through all three games.

It may be a tiny instance of time but I can go at length about how much it contradicts the supposed superiority of the reapers. Its kinda like the bible funily enough... right down to vicarious atonement.

Anyway, did the ending ruin everything for me? With respect to the whole reason for the countless hours I spent in building my perfect shepard... only for it to culmunate into one of the worst endings in gamming history... yes it absolutely ruined things for me. However, since then, I've been able to take a step back and put each game into perspective. I've been able to better compartmentalise the circumstaces in which it seems ME3 was developed in. I honestly don't think it ended up being the game that many people at BW wanted to make. Now that ME4 is sorta back under the radar, I'm open to the possibility that the team behind it won't be hindered by the kind of money grab expectations that were placed on ME3.

Dany

Banned
I certainly feel the same way that so much of the faults of ME3 was an attempt to compromise so many items in 2 year development cycle.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I certainly feel the same way that so much of the faults of ME3 was an attempt to compromise so many items in 2 year development cycle.

I agree. ME3 never felt totally complete. I bet the crucible was decided long after.

The only part of the game that IMO had strong writing was Tuchanka. I felt like they knew what they wanted to do with that section long before they had an overall plot. Rannoch was a good section IF it was following the Paragon. If you were playing it as someone who never activated Legion from ME2 then it was very awkward.

Ileum onwards was just garbage.

Yes, of all things. I understand what the kid is supposed to represent, but I don't think they executed it well at all. Definitely not enough to make me care, which is kind of the point. Although, tbf, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much if he wasn't also the catalyst. Having it be the person who died on Virmire would have been a much better option imo.

That wouldn't make sense seeing as how they aren't related to the reaper invasion as a whole. That kid died because of the reapers attacking earth and Shep's failure. The person who dies on Virmire is completely removed from that. If that was the case you could replace the kid with any person who died at the hand of the reapers.

And I think that was one of the problems with Mass Effect 3 for some people. Not me but some. The psychological stress of saving the galaxy and failing to save a child will have heavy effects on a person. The player however doesn't feel those effects and it creates a rift between the player and their Shepard probably more so than anything else in the series.

Patryn

That wouldn't make sense seeing as how they aren't related to the reaper invasion as a whole. That kid died because of the reapers attacking earth and Shep's failure. The person who dies on Virmire is completely removed from that. If that was the case you could replace the kid with any person who died at the hand of the reapers.

And I think that was one of the problems with Mass Effect 3 for some people. Not me but some. The psychological stress of saving the galaxy and failing to save a child will have heavy effects on a person. The player however doesn't feel those effects and it creates a rift between the player and their Shepard probably more so than anything else in the series.
The Virmire Victim represents loss and making an impossible decision for the greater good. In this case it was leaving Earth while millions die to save it. It actually thematically fits.

Plus, I can see Shepard being haunted by the death of a comrade, a death they caused in a way, way more than a kid they interacted with all of 90 seconds.

And on a purely cost basis, they already had the VAs for Ashley and Kaiden, it would have been easy to record more lines. But the reason it couldn't be them was likely because EA really wanted to attract new players, and a reference like that could confuse people. So we got star kid.

Sam Hulick needs to return, I was listening to the Mass Effect 3 and The Extended Cut soundtracks and damn that guy is talented. Clint Mansell did a great job too.

Asbear

Banned
Sam Hulick needs to return, I was listening to the Mass Effect 3 and The Extended Cut soundtracks and damn that guy is talented. Clint Mansell did a great job too.

I think Clint's music was too detached from the rest of the ME vibe, not to mention I think Bioware's heads are getting too big with all their recruitment of big-name talents and hollywood actors. Nah, I might be too nitpicky.

I think Jack Wall needs to return though. He's not god, but because he was absent from ME3 there weren't any proper homages to the "Mass Effect Theme" at all -- you know, the little 6-note melody that plays at every intro-text screen in the game and which had plenty of subtle appearances in other musical pieces in each game as well... except for ME3 >_>

Not to mention, Jack is the genius who made Suicide Mission <3

rashbeep

Banned
I think Clint's music was too detached from the rest of the ME vibe, not to mention I think Bioware's heads are getting too big with all their recruitment of big-name talents and hollywood actors. Nah, I might be too nitpicky.

I think Jack Wall needs to return though. He's not god, but because he was absent from ME3 there weren't any proper homages to the "Mass Effect Theme" at all -- you know, the little 6-note melody that plays at every intro-text screen in the game and which had plenty of subtle appearances in other musical pieces in each game as well... except for ME3 >_>

Not to mention, Jack is the genius who made Suicide Mission <3

I agree, ME music >>>>>>>>>> ME3.

Dany

Banned
ME2 also had some memerable themes. Suicide Mission is great but so is the one when collectors attack. I get chills every time i hear it.

RedSwirl

The Virmire Victim represents loss and making an impossible decision for the greater good. In this case it was leaving Earth while millions die to save it. It actually thematically fits.

Plus, I can see Shepard being haunted by the death of a comrade, a death they caused in a way, way more than a kid they interacted with all of 90 seconds.

And on a purely cost basis, they already had the VAs for Ashley and Kaiden, it would have been easy to record more lines. But the reason it couldn't be them was likely because EA really wanted to attract new players, and a reference like that could confuse people. So we got star kid.

Well that's part of the problem with ME3 right there. They want to cap off a trilogy where player choices are supposed to carry through games, but at the same time they don't want to alienate people who didn't play the first two games. Kind of a catch-22.

I like Ashley and Kaidan as characters (Hell, my main Shepard romanced Ashley throughout the series), but I don't think I would have wanted them as the catalyst.

I've said this before, but if they really wanted to have dream sequences, then they should have been based on the history you choose for Shepard. For example, if your Shepard had the soul survivor background, it would show the thresher maw attack.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I felt ME3 had a better soundtrack than ME2 overall, but the best themes from ME2 (Illusive Man and Suicide Mission) were the best. I also felt the club music from ME2 was also significantly better. Darkstar mix was too good.

televator

Just finished up the third game. That fixed ending went a long way though the premise of a lot of things are still nonsensical. At least the ending doesn't add too much to the nonsense.

JayEH

Watching that Dragon Age 3 trailer has got me excited for a Bioware game again and even more pumped for Mass Effect 4. Bioware is still in my top 5 favorite devs even with the blunder of their last two games.

I don't think I had ever been more excited for a launch of a game when ME3 came out and yeah it wasn't perfect and a let down in a lot of ways, but I still enjoyed it.

While I'm really looking forward to ME4, I really wonder if it can't capture the same magic as the original trilogy. I'm not sure they can top it but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I really should go and buy all the DLC for ME3 but it just never felt right for me to go back to that game once the story finished. I've played ME1 and 2 multiple times but have still yet to play 3 again. I think that might be one of the goals I have for the summer though.

Carbonox

Like that?
mecompletetriloboxxeuh8.png

mmmmmmmmm

say, if you get the platinums in the original trilogy, would re-buying them on PS4 mean you can re-obtain the platinums (as it would be recognized as a PS4 title and not a PS3 title this time)? Or would it still recognize the platinums from the PS3 version and basically mean that you've already got the platinum upon start-up of the PS4 versions?

Cos that would sure as shit get me to re-purchase them along with any other tinkerings done just cos 100%-ing these games was a blast.

I guess this is more a general question for re-buying games you've already got trophies in on a different platform.

monome

Going from the Dragon Age trailer, the next ME is gonna look wicked however uninspired its story is gonna be (betting on a Blade Runner redux kinda story).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
mmmmmmmmm

say, if you get the platinums in the original trilogy, would re-buying them on PS4 mean you can re-obtain the platinums (as it would be recognized as a PS4 title and not a PS3 title this time)? Or would it still recognize the platinums from the PS3 version and basically mean that you've already got the platinum upon start-up of the PS4 versions?

Cos that would sure as shit get me to re-purchase them along with any other tinkerings done just cos 100%-ing these games was a blast.

I guess this is more a general question for re-buying games you've already got trophies in on a different platform.

Its unlikely that the platinum would carry over, but we wouldn't know until they came out.

I would hope that they remove some of the tedious requirements for part 1.

Carbonox

Its unlikely that the platinum would carry over, but we wouldn't know until they came out.

I would hope that they remove some of the tedious requirements for part 1.

The first is the only one I didn't get Platinum on. In-fact I didn't really get very far at all in it. Didn't enjoy it one bit (story was the most interesting factor) but then I played it for the first time back when the Trilogy was released on PS3, having played ME2 and ME3 from their respective launches.

Things would have been different had I entered the series with ME1 though I reckon. Ah well.

prag16

Banned
I (foolishly) get excited every time this topic gets bumped.

Yeah, the DragonAge 3 trailer definitely pumped me up not for that game, but for Mass Effect 4. Can't wait for DA3 to be "out of the way" so that everyone can focus on Mass Effect next.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The first is the only one I didn't get Platinum on. In-fact I didn't really get very far at all in it. Didn't enjoy it one bit (story was the most interesting factor) but then I played it for the first time back when the Trilogy was released on PS3, having played ME2 and ME3 from their respective launches.

Things would have been different had I entered the series with ME1 though I reckon. Ah well.
ME1 is very hard to get into if it wasn't the first one you played. No doubt about that!

Pryce

mmmmmmmmm

I would probably buy them anyway, but giving me the chance to re-ern all the platinum's again for PS4 would be icing on the cake.

Just get rid of any MP trophies. I hated those in ME3.

Warewolf

That's a hell of a Thread there man. Bravo. I devoured ME1 in a matter of days. Utterly entranced. I've never played 2 or 3. Even though I have somehow ended up with both of them on PC. I started playing through 1 again last year but never got through it.

One of my biggest Backlog regrets/itches and this will be the year to scratch it.

Musolf815

That's a hell of a Thread there man. Bravo. I devoured ME1 in a matter of days. Utterly entranced. I've never played 2 or 3. Even though I have somehow ended up with both of them on PC. I started playing through 1 again last year but never got through it.

One of my biggest Backlog regrets/itches and this will be the year to scratch it.

I hope you enjoy it, it's quite the ride. I think they all have something to offer. It's one of my favorite series I've played. Be careful of spoilers too!

Prologue

mmmmmmmmm

As much as I want it to happen, I doubt it will. Doesn't ME2 still lack control support on pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom