• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltros

Banned
Like that?
mecompletetriloboxxeuh8.png
Even though I already have it for the PC and 360 I would buy that in a heartbeat as long as DLC is included. I really hope Bioware releases a trilogy.

I used to think that we are going to get the British sniper in the teaser trailer as our new squadmate, an all-serious-no-bullshit kind of guy, instead we got Vega.

Patryn

ME2 has the coolest setting, story and characters.
ME3 has the best gameplay and a lot of epic moments.

One could argue that ME2 had, at best, the mere skeleton of a story.

For instance, for me:

ME1 probably takes the story, setting and epic moments trophies. (And yes, I'm aware of the massive plot hole, but I choose to let it wash over me).

ME2 probably takes the characters trophy.

ME3 takes the gameplay trophy.

Harlock

I am more excited about the new Mass Effect multiplayer than the single player. The history from ME3 was pretty much conclusive, while the multiplayer has a lot to evolve to what was a very fun horde mode, with giant loading times between the screens of the lobby system.

One could argue that ME2 had, at best, the mere skeleton of a story.

For instance, for me:

ME1 probably takes the story, setting and epic moments trophies. (And yes, I'm aware of the massive plot hole, but I choose to let it wash over me).

ME2 probably takes the characters trophy.

ME3 takes the gameplay trophy.

What was the plot hole in ME1? I've never noticed myself. (I do tend to accept things at face value though lol)

Jintor

You know overall I wasn't super hot on where it ended up but man ME was a hell of a ride.

I love the jokes they snuck in. I wish their world didn't often feel so sterile though; there were only a few environments I truly thought were detailed and interesting enough that they felt like... places.

tumblr_n3p0srGH9R1r5kl4fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3p0srGH9R1r5kl4fo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n3p0srGH9R1r5kl4fo3_500.jpg

tumblr_n3p0srGH9R1r5kl4fo4_500.jpg

tumblr_n3p0srGH9R1r5kl4fo5_500.jpg

Saren is pursuing the conduit in order to get access to the Citadel.... but he only lost access to the Citadel because he was pursuing the conduit.

Saren should not have been on Eden Prime messing up his Spectre status when he could have just flown Sovereign right into the Citadel using his special clearance.

Another in a long line of Bioware villains doing nonsensical things with a dash of circular logic (see also: Loghain, Meredith, Illusive Man, Udina, Star Child).

televator

Saren should not have been on Eden Prime messing up his Spectre status when he could have just flown Sovereign right into the Citadel using his special clearance.

Another in a long line of Bioware villains doing nonsensical things with a dash of circular logic (see also: Loghain, Meredith, Illusive Man, Udina, Star Child).

You start to wonder if they're writing them that way on purpose...

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Even though I already have it for the PC and 360 I would buy that in a heartbeat as long as DLC is included. I really hope Bioware releases a trilogy.

I own it on X360 and PC as well, and I too would buy it in a heartbeat.....ONLY if the DLC was included in full though.

If they nudged on some added extras... well, I would step over my own Aunty in line to get it.

Blinck

So is there any mod or anything that lets me play ME on PC with an Xbox 360 controller ?

I want to replay these games so much but the thought of having to do it on my desk instead of the comfy couch just kills it for me :(

So is there any mod or anything that lets me play ME on PC with an Xbox 360 controller ?

I want to replay these games so much but the thought of having to do it on my desk instead of the comfy couch just kills it for me :(
You can use Pinnacle profiler to handle mapping the controls to a controller, but it might be as natural as the console version because the PC UI is totally different.

Taker34

Banned

There is a mod which uses some of the Xbox 360 ME .ini file which means that you get the correct buttons and overall ~90% compatibility... and trust me, even 98% isn't enough to enjoy the game with a controller. It works almost perfect in ME2 but even there you have to deal with an invisible power wheel. It is a real mess. 1080p and 60 fps on pc beats a comfy couch any day. Just get a chair where you can lean back and experience the experience.

Patryn

There is a mod which uses some of the Xbox 360 ME .ini file which means that you get the correct buttons and overall ~90% compatibility... and trust me, even 98% isn't enough to enjoy the game with a controller. It works almost perfect in ME2 but even there you have to deal with an invisible power wheel. It is a real mess. 1080p and 60 fps on pc beats a comfy couch any day. Just get a chair where you can lean back and experience the experience.

Personally, I loathe controlling ME with a keyboard and mouse, so I'll always take the console over the PC.

TheHall

I'd buy a solid Multiplayer Game for Mass Effect that sets a bit of context for the story of the next ME.

For example, by using a certain character a lot in MP they will be commanding an army in the full SP game.

Don't bet on it. They likely want to get Dragon Age out first, and then they'll start talking about ME4.

I'm also not rushing for details, given that I expect this to be a 2016 title.

Sounds reasonable, but it wouldn't hurt to show a 30 sec teaser clip ala Halo 5 or Star Wars Battlefront at E3...just hoping for something.

Patryn

Sounds reasonable, but it wouldn't hurt to show a 30 sec teaser clip ala Halo 5 or Star Wars Battlefront at E3...just hoping for something.

It could hurt, because it muddies the water, and suddenly press events for Dragon Age will include questions about Mass Effect. Especially if it's still nowhere near to being able to be shown off beyond CG trailers that may or may not represent the final product.

Easier to get the existing product out, and then move forward and show something when you have something to show.

prag16

Banned
Personally, I loathe controlling ME with a keyboard and mouse, so I'll always take the console over the PC.

Ugh. In my opinion any shooter is severely damaged by dual analog. Wireless keyboard and mouse with my HTPC allows for 98% of the couch comfort of a controller. Obviously not an option for everyone, but best of both worlds if it is. Unfortunately my HTPC is old and weak and only beefy enough to run ME3 at around 40fps at 1366x768. Might be upgrade time soon.

The 2016 is just my guess, for the record. Officially we have no estimate of when it'll be released.

Yeah, I'm hoping for 2nd half 2015, but I really doubt that. Early 2016 is more likely; hopefully it won't be any later than that. :(

Just give me the Mass Effect trilogy on PS4 and they can release the next one whenever they damn well please.

I won't have a PS4 for another couple years; if they DO do a "definitive edition" I'm hoping the upgraded versions make it to PC. I'll triple dip. (Assuming the upgrades are more than just resolution/framerate... would need some nice texture and lighting improvements and maybe even geometry if we're really lucky).

funkypie

Banned
So just finished the trilogy on pc and I kept messing up the ending.

I thought selecting I will not choose was the renegade option (as i'm full renegade) turns out it was some shite DLC ending where the cycle continues. So I try again and unfortunately it wouldn't let me skip the final cut scenes so it took forever. I end up shooting the Kid AI when I go to make the final choice, ends up giving me the crappy cycle continues ending again.

Will try again tomorrow.

If they do release a ps4 version, I will rebuy and go full hero.

Mindlog

What was the plot hole in ME1? I've never noticed myself. (I do tend to accept things at face value though lol)
Not a single guddamn bathroom in the whole galaxy.
I mean it. Take a look. There's something that may pass for a bathroom on Noveria, but that's it. Used it once. I was the only one to walk out of there alive.

Speaking of guddamn I never knew this was a thing.
Cooking With Zaeed, Ep. 1: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Damnit.

spekkeh

Banned
So just finished the trilogy on pc and I kept messing up the ending.

I thought selecting I will not choose was the renegade option (as i'm full renegade) turns out it was some shite DLC ending where the cycle continues. So I try again and unfortunately it wouldn't let me skip the final cut scenes so it took forever. I end up shooting the Kid AI when I go to make the final choice, ends up giving me the crappy cycle continues ending again.

Will try again tomorrow.

If they do release a ps4 version, I will rebuy and go full hero.
Imo renegade is getting the job done and the ends justify the means. Not being a badass in and of itself.

Well that's what Renegade is in theory. In practice is often just involves being a jerk for no reason, including to your crew members. And the paragon decision never comes back to bite you in the ass and is rarely if ever "harder". So this idea that you're getting things done despite the cost is not really applicable unless you're doing a Role Play run where you're pretending you don't have any meta-knowledge. Even then, in game, there aren't a huge number of decisions that actually do come down to "the mission comes first and must get done". Some notable ones are like the Battle of the Citadel where Shepard at that time has no way of knowing that they totally can save the Destiny Ascension and still take down Sovereign, but in so many other cases it's like "Hey Shepard, you can wipe all these civilians out, or you can throw gas grenades at them to achieve the same effect without killing them. YOUR CHOICE BRO."

funkypie

Banned
Imo renegade is getting the job done and the ends justify the means. Not being a badass in and of itself.

Because I never played the multiplayer my readiness was 50% and
my shepherd died when I destroyed the reapers :(

I was abit disappointed that the game still lets you choose either ending regardless if you've been renegade or paragon. I thought it would force you or something.

also why does everyone hate the ending? it seems fine to me.

You can use Pinnacle profiler to handle mapping the controls to a controller, but it might be as natural as the console version because the PC UI is totally different.

I set up a JoyToKey profile for ME3 Multiplayer and it works really well. Only problem is that if I'm trying to run forward but I'm not perfectly at 12:00 on the analog stick, I run at an angle. Really makes sprinting and dodging difficult. I can't figure out a way to make it only accept left and right input at like 45 degrees or something. Does Pinnacle offer anything like that?

Talon

I was abit disappointed that the game still lets you choose either ending regardless if you've been renegade or paragon. I thought it would force you or something.

Read your second paragraph.

prag16

Banned
I set up a JoyToKey profile for ME3 Multiplayer and it works really well. Only problem is that if I'm trying to run forward but I'm not perfectly at 12:00 on the analog stick, I run at an angle. Really makes sprinting and dodging difficult. I can't figure out a way to make it only accept left and right input at like 45 degrees or something. Does Pinnacle offer anything like that?

The people hell bent on using controllers for the PC version, are you playing at a computer desk, or are you sitting on a couch? Because in the former case I'll never understand why the inferior control scheme in terms of accuracy precision (and key bindings/options etc) would be preferable. In the latter case comfort is a valid reason for many people at least.

Patryn

The people hell bent on using controllers for the PC version, are you playing at a computer desk, or are you sitting on a couch? Because in the former case I'll never understand why the inferior control scheme in terms of accuracy precision (and key bindings/options etc) would be preferable. In the latter case comfort is a valid reason for many people at least.

Comfort. I find a controller in my hands far more comfortable than a keyboard and mouse. That applies equally to sitting at a desk as on a comfy couch.

prag16

Banned
Comfort. I find a controller in my hands far more comfortable than a keyboard and mouse. That applies equally to sitting at a desk as on a comfy couch.
Well to each his own I guess. Personally with my setup I'm absolutely 100% as comfortable in my computer chair whether I'm using M/KB or controller.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well to each his own I guess. Personally with my setup I'm absolutely 100% as comfortable in my computer chair whether I'm using M/KB or controller.

Yeah, same thing for me, i can play for hours with a keyboard and mouse comfortably.

But I can understand how uncomfortable gaming with a keyboard/mouse can be if you got a cheap chair or really basic computer setup not meant for playing for hours.

royox

Saren is pursuing the conduit in order to get access to the Citadel.... but he only lost access to the Citadel because he was pursuing the conduit.

But it's not 100% true.

Yes. He lost acces to the Citadel but what he needed wasn't a normal acces. He wanted to reach the citadel from the inside with an army of Geth using the conduit.

The Citadel control Room is in the Council room...the most protected zone of the citadel. Imagine him walking across the room...with everybody watching him "Hey Jake, hey Ralph how's your kid doing?" and suddently the Citadel Control Panel pops up in front of the Council "eeerm...I will close the citadel arms...with my massive ship inside ...just for a...eeehm....moment.....can I?"

No. His plan was perfect. The only thing he did wrong was not killing Shepard on Virmire. There is no plot hole.

I did not play multiplayer on my 1st run and my Shep survived. You skipped lot of sidequests.

For your last question....

me35.juegos.es_.png

Patryn

But it's not 100% true.

Yes. He lost acces to the Citadel but what he needed wasn't a normal acces. He wanted to reach the citadel from the inside with an army of Geth using the conduit.

The Citadel control Room is in the Council room...the most protected zone of the citadel. Imagine him walking across the room...with everybody watching him "Hey Jake, hey Ralph how's your kid doing?" and suddently the Citadel Control Panel pops up in front of the Council "eeerm...I will close the citadel arms...with my massive ship inside ...just for a...eeehm....moment.....can I?"

No. His plan was perfect. The only thing he did wrong was not killing Shepard on Virmire. There is no plot hole.

He only needed the Geth to reach the Council Room.

Remember that Shepard could walk right on up to where he needed to be.

All Saren had to do was fabricate a reason to meet with the Council and BOOM, he's right where he wants to be. At that point, he has full control over the Citadel.

Hell, as someone else said, he could have brought Sovereign right in. Then, once you have control of the Citadel, he could open the Mass Relay in the system and the Geth would flood in while Sovereign inside the Citadel rips apart everything around him.

royox

He only needed the Geth to reach the Council Room.

Remember that Shepard could walk right on up to where he needed to be.

All Saren had to do was fabricate a reason to meet with the Council and BOOM, he's right where he wants to be. At that point, he has full control over the Citadel.

Hell, as someone else said, he could have brought Sovereign right in. Then, once you have control of the Citadel, he could open the Mass Relay in the system and the Geth would flood in while Sovereign inside the Citadel rips apart everything around him.

The problem is....and the Sovereign? Saren can't land with the Sovereign on the Citadel...not withouth being asked 100000 questions before landing and after landing. Remember Shepard required permission every time he wanted to land the Normandy...a well known ship.

The problem is....and the Sovereign? Saren can't land with the Sovereign on the Citadel...not withouth being asked 100000 questions before landing and after landing. Remember Shepard required permission every time he wanted to land the Normandy...a well known ship.
Did Sovereign need permission to land at the end of the game?

Patryn

Remember that Saren was a Spectre. Special permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom