• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

Phobophile said:
Ragnarok sucked. They have a terribly inconsistent discography. Their first album was terrible, Eric the Red was amazing, and Ragnarok's pretty forgettable.

That video of yours was from Eric the Red, though, wasn't it? If that's representative of the album, it's not much more than Ragnarok

Falch

Been listening to Katatonia's Brave Murder Day. Fantastic death metal. I love their later albums, but this is even better. Katatonia and Anathema started out as quite similar bands (compare Brave Murder Day with The Silent Enigma and you'll see what I mean) and the way they both evolved is throughout the '90 and '00 is incredible.

BraveMurderDay.jpg

And (imo even better):

s20345.jpg

The Silent Enigma might just be the most underappreciated metal album of the '90.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Ecrofirt said:
That video of yours was from Eric the Red, though, wasn't it? If that's representative of the album, it's not much more than Ragnarok

Meh, to each his own. I can't remember anything this epic and catchy on Ragnarok. The Edge and Rainbow Warrior are also notable tracks from Eric the Red.

Spwn

I bought Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance (LTD edition) yesterday and geez - what a fantastic album! After Viva Emptiness I thought Katatonia wouldn't be able to put out such an amazing piece, but the album proved I was wrong.

Phobophile

So I'm kinda surprised that no one mentioned that At the Gates is touring this summer with Municipal Waste.

March 07 2008
US tour confirmed.
(Support: Darkest Hour & Municipal Waste)

July 10 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza
July 11 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
July 12 - Montreal, QC - Le Medley
July 13 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
July 14 - Chicago, IL - House of Blues
July 15 - Sauget, IL Pop's
July 17 - Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
July 18 - San Antonio, TX - White Rabbit
July 21 - Denver, CO - Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom
July 23 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon
July 24 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre
July 25 - San Francisco, CA- The Fillmore (With REPULSION)
July 26 - Pomona, CA - Glasshouse (With REPULSION)
July 27 - Hollywood, CA - Henry Fonda Theatre (With REPULSION)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
HitokiriNate85 said:
I came in the thread to post this:

Origin - Antithesis
7002CD_216.jpg

EDIT: My apologies, I meant to include a link for anyone who is unfamiliar with them. You can hear some tracks on their MySpace page.

I've been anticipating this a lot, and just got it yesterday. I'm on my third or fourth listen of the day, and it's just awesome. Seriously, anyone who's a fan of their past work needs to make sure to check it out. Definitely an awesome follow up to Echoes of Decimation.

Listening to this right and it's kicking my ass! The last track is an all out epic assault (for that matter, the whole album is. Highly recommended.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
So I'm kinda surprised that no one mentioned that At the Gates is touring this summer with Municipal Waste.

March 07 2008
US tour confirmed.
(Support: Darkest Hour & Municipal Waste)

July 10 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza
July 11 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
July 12 - Montreal, QC - Le Medley
July 13 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
July 14 - Chicago, IL - House of Blues
July 15 - Sauget, IL Pop's
July 17 - Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
July 18 - San Antonio, TX - White Rabbit
July 21 - Denver, CO - Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom
July 23 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon
July 24 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre

I mentioned it a few pages back. Im definately going.

Phobophile said:

I'm actually way more excited to see REPULSION play. Without them we wouldn't have had about %99.99 of the "extreme" music genre out there.

Phobophile

Giant Robot said:
I'm actually way more excited to see REPULSION play. Without them we wouldn't have had about %99.99 of the "extreme" music genre out there.

Are they old-school deathgrind/goregrind like Impetigo?

Phobophile said:
Are they old-school deathgrind/goregrind like Impetigo?
pretty similar vein.
Repulsion brought a lot to the "extreme" side of things. super low distorted bass, sick vocals, sick/gory lyrics, grinding riffs, and of course non-stop blast beats. Most of what they did was during their demo days where they got infamous in the tape trading era days. Then finally Jeff Walker and Bill Steer (Carcass) started their own label, Necrosis, just to release Repulsion material.

I have listened to this bullet valentine band and i don't know what to make of it. In a way it's aggressive, fast and skilled, but in another way it isn't aggressive or interesting. It's like metal elevator music.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
PrinceAdam said:
I have listened to this bullet valentine band and i don't know what to make of it. In a way it's aggressive, fast and skilled, but in another way it isn't aggressive or interesting. It's like metal elevator music.
I love their new album, saw them in concert too, they were great.

I love it so much in "Waking the Demon" right before the solo they all just shout "SHRED!", gets me every time.

Phobophile

PrinceAdam said:

It's watered-down, trite metalcore. You pretty much nailed it. Fourteen year old scene girls love it.

Phobophile

SaggyMonkey said:
Check out this bill! I'm so there...

http://www.losangelesmurderfest.com/

OH MAN Mictlantecuhtli! They need to put out another album...

Friday April 18th

GENGHIS TRON 8:15 - 8:45
BARONESS 9:15 - 9:45
THE RED CHORD 10:15 - 10:45
CONVERGE 11:00 - ??:??

Considering I'm seeing this exact line up on Saturday in Chicago, I'm disappointed Baroness is only playing 30 minutes. Fuck.

REPULSION 10:05 - 10:45
MASSACRE 11:25 - 12:05
ENTOMBED 12:30 - 1:30

WOW

and

SCARECROW 7:50 - 8:15
GHOUL 8:30 - 8:55
EXTREMENOISETERROR 10:45 - 11:25
NAPALM DEATH 11:50 - 12:50

WOW

Kam Lee back with Massacre:lol
would be interesting to see what kind of playlist Entombed comes up with. If its material off their first two albums, my mind would explode.
Scarecrow and Ghoul would be fucking hilarious. Them damn rivalries between the two.
E.N.T. would be fucking godly to see.....again with dual vocalist, right before Napalm Death.

what an old school death metal/grindcore extravaganza this is gonna be.

but never again do i want to sit through a metal festival. Last time i went to something godly was Thrash Of The Titans. 14 fucking hours of solid thrash and i fell asleep on the floor during someone's set.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I'm highly doubtful that the new stereo-mix sounds better than the original one. I'm guessing it's like most Heavy metal "remasters" that are designed to sound great on an iPod and end up sounding absolutely shit on a decent Hi-Fi. Strapping Young Lad's remaster of City is a prime example.

Sonki.

Banned
HitokiriNate85 said:
Origin - Antithesis
7002CD_216.jpg

EDIT: My apologies, I meant to include a link for anyone who is unfamiliar with them. You can hear some tracks on their MySpace page.

I've been anticipating this a lot, and just got it yesterday. I'm on my third or fourth listen of the day, and it's just awesome. Seriously, anyone who's a fan of their past work needs to make sure to check it out. Definitely an awesome follow up to Echoes of Decimation.

Just got this! So far Soooooooo good.

Phobophile

So is the entirety of Still Life remixed in 5.1 or just Face of Melinda? I'd pick it up if the entire album were in 5.1.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Phobophile said:
So is the entirety of Still Life remixed in 5.1 or just Face of Melinda? I'd pick it up if the entire album were in 5.1.
Remastered stereo mix, complete 5.1 mix and the video of face of melinda from roundhouse taps.

Ill be getting it since i dont have still life yet. But i want to compare how it sounds versus the original version and if i happen to find the album on vinyl. Amazon actually has several opeth albums on vinyl.

Giant Robot said:
but never again do i want to sit through a metal festival. Last time i went to something godly was Thrash Of The Titans. 14 fucking hours of solid thrash and i fell asleep on the floor during someone's set.

Do you tend to SHAVE or WAX your vagina? ;)

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
well it was through the Anthrax set, so thats excusable :D

I slept through a Fishbone show once. And The Mars Volta, now that I think about it (I woke up to see Iggy and The Stooges).

Arhal_Katarn

Most of you have probably heard these but they are my fav albums of all time and as it's my first post in this thread.........

And Justice For All
Metallica
200px-Metallica_and_justice_for_all.jpg
[/IMG]

Train of Thought
Dream Theater
Trainofthought.jpg
[/IMG]

Ascendancy
Trivium
Ascendancy.jpg
[/IMG]

Xater

I was just listening to The Funeral Album and damn it I miss Sentenced. Should I give Poisonblack a try? (At least the second album because Ville started sing on that one)

Or has Metal GAF some other good recommendations for me?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
pix said:
Opeth's reissue of Still Life hits store shelves today.

opeth_still_life_01.jpg

opeth_still_life_05.jpg

http://www.peaceville.com/opeth/stilllife/

Just listen to the sound clip of The Moor. Such sex.

I can't wait for their new album Watershed in June. Going to see them live in Toronto May 24th.
Did this actually hit store shelves? I saw an article that said march 31st, however i went to a wherehouse music and best buy, neither of them had it. Best buy had it listed as coming out April 15th and so does Amazon.com.

BTW, I highly suggest to any metal fan to get their hands on Kalmah's new album "For the Revolution," as well as Bloodbath's "Unblessing the Purity." The new Bloodbath album is sung by Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. You will not be disappointed, these album kicks so much ass

l_6ecc954e3c2c9ae564cde0a3c5d9ee7c.jpg

unblessingthepurity.jpg

Phobophile said:
Ragnarok sucked. They have a terribly inconsistent discography. Their first album was terrible, Eric the Red was amazing, and Ragnarok's pretty forgettable.
Yeah Eric the Red was amazing, it's such a great album. I couldn't say how many times I've listened to "The Wild Rover," simply because that is such a fun and great song.

Also, is anyone going to the At the Gates show in Chicago? I'll be there :D

Outlaw

Banned
metalmania4evr said:
BTW, I highly suggest to any metal fan to get their hands on Kalmah's new album "For the Revolution,"

l_6ecc954e3c2c9ae564cde0a3c5d9ee7c.jpg

I just got this one and while at first I thought it was really good after another listen I changed my mind. They seem to suffer of the Dragonforce syndrome. All the songs sound the same and are very similar to older ones. It turned me right off. blah. Even on previous albums I always thought their songs sounded the same.

I also support checking out the new Kalmah album. I've been listening to it a lot this past week, and I'm really liking it. Who knows where it'll sit with me at the end of the year, but some of the riffing is just awesome!

Also, I have to throw my two cents in about Tyr since they're one of my favorite bands. Ragnarok is an absolutely amazing album, and really fits well alongside Eric The Red. I actually hadn't talked to anyone before who liked one and disliked the other. Ragnarok barely edges out ETR for my favorite Tyr album, with How Far To Asgaard coming after that.

Also, I saw mention of Paganfest. I'll be going to the Cleveland, OH date this month. I can't wait!!! I'll also be going to see Dimmu Borgir/Behemoth/Keep Of Kalessin a few days before in Pittsburgh, PA(where I live) and Opeth in May. It's going to be an incredibly awesome few weeks!:D

Foster

Just listening to Alestorm and i really want to become a Pirate now :(

The album is so good, the lyrics are just awesome

A gentleman by the name of Peter Beste has a book on Norwegian Black Metal coming out in May but he already has some images up on his site. Here is one of my favorites:

2406798084_91d4e93063_o.jpg

Abbath cracks me up... I've seen so many great photos with him in it.

Anyways, thought I'd pass the word along.

eudaemonic said:
A gentleman by the name of Peter Beste has a book on Norwegian Black Metal coming out in May but he already has some images up on his site. Here is one of my favorites:

2406798084_91d4e93063_o.jpg

Abbath cracks me up... I've seen so many great photos with him in it.

Anyways, thought I'd pass the word along.

hes awesome. I have his Artkip book with his early photos of the Black Metal photos. His Houston project pitctures are pretty awesome too. But i am waiting for his own book to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom