• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NameGenerated said:
Alright so I have had Behemoth's Demigod for quite awhile now and I love it. But I really need a new album by them, which one would any of you suggest I get?

You could go with their newest album, "The Apostasy". I'd suggest looking into Nile, Vesania, Vital Remains, Akercocke, and Belphegor too. Bolt Thrower is pretty fun also, just to throw that in there.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Giant Robot said:
dude, you are leaving out the CARCASS re-union! FUCK!
Carcass confirmed for Metal Camp AND Wacken. This is fucking insane.
yeah, i know, but i am a bit short with money. And program for Friday is not so appealing, if i rule out Carcass and Wintersun.

Ravager61

pix said:
2 songs from Opeths CD Watershed just got leaked. The Porcelain Heart and The Lotus Eater.

Lotus Eater was good but I was kinda indifferent about Porcelain Heart. I need to listen to them again.

Maggot9

Banned
doogles said:
Would any Bodom n00bs like to be introduced to the awesome that is Children of Bodom? The Blooddrunk 2-disc comes with a code to be used on http://www.cobhc.com/sampler that I have really no reason to use. First person to ask gets a PM with the code.

Sampler contains "If You Want Peace...Prepare for War", "Bodom After Midnight/Bodom Beach Terror", "Follow the Reaper", "Hatebreeder", and "D(r)eadnight Warrior". Follow the Reaper has an amazing instrumental part and Bodom Beach Terror has some of the best drum work I've ever heard.
It just comes with those songs?

Maggot9 said:
It just comes with those songs?
It's a free sampler code included with the Blooddrunk 2-pack. Blooddrunk 2-pack has the album, "Ghost Riders in the Sky" cover, and the DVD with the 5.1 mix and the Blooddrunk video. I don't need the code so I'm giving it away to anyone who's never heard the band before.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So went to Gigantour last night.
Children of Bodom > In Flames.

Megadeth was fucking awesome. But the sound needs to be worked on, I have been to the Verizon wireless theater several times in Houston and never had any problems with the sound for shows. But pretty much every band except in flames had their shit turned up so loud that it was bad for the vocals and lead guitars.
Dave's voice came out distorted for a good portion of the show. Just seemed like they could turn everything down a schosh and the audio would be perfect.

what was Megadeth's setlist?
i went last year on a whim for free and was actually blown away by Megadeth's setlist. A LOT of old and technical material.

Set The World Afire
Take No Prisoners
Lucretia
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18
Tornado Of Souls
The Mechanix
In My Darkest Hour
and a few post Countdown stuff.....

captive

Giant Robot said:
i went last year on a whim for free and was actually blown away by Megadeth's setlist. A LOT of old and technical material.
Pretty much in this order

Sleepwalker
Wake Up Dead
Take No Prisoners
Skin O’ My Teeth
Washington Is Next
Kick The Chair
In My Darkest Hour
Hangar 18
Gears Of War
A Tout Le Monde - Chris' Solo
Tornado Of Souls
Ashes In Your Mouth
Burnt Ice
Symphony Of Destruction
Trust
Peace Sells
Holy Wars

COB played Sixpounder, Angels dont kill, blooddrunk, hellhound on my trail, and downfall, i forgot the one or two other songs they played.

For the Opeth fans, 40 dollars, Watershed CD/DVD AND Vinyl, autographed booklet, poster. http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.19985/.f?sc=13&category=90643

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
NameGenerated said:
Alright so I have had Behemoth's Demigod for quite awhile now and I love it. But I really need a new album by them, which one would any of you suggest I get?

Listen to Zos Kia Cultus, from back when they were still awesome.

Dina

captive said:
Pretty much in this order

Sleepwalker
Wake Up Dead
Take No Prisoners
Skin O’ My Teeth
Washington Is Next
Kick The Chair
In My Darkest Hour
Hangar 18
Gears Of War
A Tout Le Monde - Chris' Solo
Tornado Of Souls
Ashes In Your Mouth
Burnt Ice
Symphony Of Destruction
Trust
Peace Sells
Holy Wars

Wow massive list. I saw them last year in holland but they only had one hour. How long did they play?

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
I think The Apostasy is definitely better than Demigod and at least on par with Zos Kia Cultus.

It's hard to come by a good blackened death metal band. I think the last thing we need is another Nile clone.

That said, the new Belphegor is kicking my ass. \m/

captive

doogles said:
Is Sixpounder awesome live?
Hell yea, they opened up their set with it.

Dina said:
Wow massive list. I saw them last year in holland but they only had one hour. How long did they play?
About an hour and a half on the dot. Dave doesnt talk much, if at all during the sets. Gigantour 1 he barely said anything all night. Last night he gave several props to the opening bands, gave his spiel on why he doesnt like to talk during the sets, and pretty much jammed through the songs.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
It's hard to come by a good blackened death metal band. I think the last thing we need is another Nile clone.

There really arent many black metal elements left in Behemoth, but as a death metal band I enjoy them a lot. They have similarities with Nile I guess but I prefer Behemoth a lot more (I actually really dislike Nile).

As for the new Blephegor, I have yet to hear it but I plan on getting it soon.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Phobophile said:

Although I have heard of Nile, I haven't really heard any of their songs. What'd be the best place to start?

Ravager61

NameGenerated said:
Although I have heard of Nile, I haven't really heard any of their songs. What'd be the best place to start?

Honestly, none of them. I find Nile to be incredibly boring. Check out Behemoth instead.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
This is what has been on my playlist recently.

Adversary - Singularity
Circle II Circle - Delusions of Grandeur
Leprechaun - The Ultimate Dance

Outlaw

Banned
captive said:
COB played Sixpounder, Angels dont kill, blooddrunk, hellhound on my trail, and downfall, i forgot the one or two other songs they played.

[/url]

They also played Hate Me.

Phobophile

NameGenerated said:

I'd say avoid them altogether, but the only album of theirs I find to be actually redeeming and hell, even good, would have to be Annihilations of the Wicked.

Nile's In Their Darkened Shrines is my favorite from them. Especially Unas Slayer of the Gods. Love that whole section with the war horns.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:

Set The World Afire
Take No Prisoners
Lucretia
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18
Tornado Of Souls
The Mechanix
In My Darkest Hour
and a few post Countdown stuff.....

The last time I saw Megadeth was on the Clash of the Titans tour. The set list wasn't that different.

finally finally finally scored a copy of Floor's S/T album.
holy crap this album is a MUST. Bone crushing guitar tones, hooky riffs, bass drums that pummels, anthem-like singing and super simple yet catchy songwriting. Oh yea, and that infamous "bomb out string". Members later went on to form the ultra Stoner/Rock/Pop band TORCHE

http://www.noidearecords.com/m...r.mp3

24224915_l.jpg

Hooker

Dina said:
I saw them couple of months ago in Paradiso and the setlist looks the same. Almost played 2 hours, and they played 'STRAK'!!

Holy Wars is a gift from the gods :D

Ceres

Banned
Went to Pagan Fest in Montreal last night. What an awesome show. Ensiferum actually was the low point of it for me and we left before their encore because we had a 3 hr drive back to NY. I can't wait until Turisas comes back for their own headline tour though.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Oh man, I'm trying so hard to convince some people at work to go to the Boris/Torche/Wolves In the Throne Room show in Montreal in July. I want this so so bad.

FFChris

Maggot9 said:
the new Opeth is gonna take some time getting used to. I rather like Coil.

I'm glad somone is discussing the new Opeth.

In my opinion, it's the worst CD they have ever done. Vocals are as good as always, but the riffs are simpler, song structure has got a lot worse, new guitarists parts don't really fit, and Akerfeldt has seemed to change his singing style to fit the drummers style.

That and this being a much lighter album (I adore the heavy stuff) has really put me off this.

Ceres said:
Went to Pagan Fest in Montreal last night. What an awesome show. Ensiferum actually was the low point of it for me and we left before their encore because we had a 3 hr drive back to NY. I can't wait until Turisas comes back for their own headline tour though.

That doesn't surprise me. Ensiferum with their new singer is garbage.

Ceres

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
That doesn't surprise me. Ensiferum with their new singer is garbage.

I'm not a fan of the new vocals either but the real deterrent was the god awful mix. You couldn't even hear him or any of the other vocals. I was right behind the sound board and the rest of the night had perfect sound. Ensiferum's guy comes in and it became horrible.

Phobophile

Giant Robot said:
finally finally finally scored a copy of Floor's S/T album.
holy crap this album is a MUST. Bone crushing guitar tones, hooky riffs, bass drums that pummels, anthem-like singing and super simple yet catchy songwriting. Oh yea, and that infamous "bomb out string". Members later went on to form the ultra Stoner/Rock/Pop band TORCHE

http://www.noidearecords.com/m...r.mp3

24224915_l.jpg

photo4a2443.jpg

Cosmic Bus said:
Oh man, I'm trying so hard to convince some people at work to go to the Boris/Torche/Wolves In the Throne Room show in Montreal in July. I want this so so bad.

I can't believe this show isn't coming to Chicago. This is fucking bullshit.

fallout

Maggot9 said:
the new Opeth is gonna take some time getting used to. I rather like Coil.
New Opeth always takes some time to get used to. I remember the backlash after Ghost Reveries and I remember someone telling me there was quite a bit after Still Life.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Phobophile said:
I can't believe this show isn't coming to Chicago. This is fucking bullshit.

Sorry, but boo-hoooo. Chicago gets thousands of shows every year; nobody ever plays up in this neck of the woods. For once, we get to have a good time.

Outlaw

Banned
Ceres said:

How was Eluveitie? i like both of their CDs a lot.

Sonki.

Banned
This is somewhat metal... (I don't know where else to put this, but I want to show GAF!) This is my band, and we released an EP just an hour ago. Free download. Or check out the myspace to hear the songs.

coversmall538.jpg

Tracklisting:

1. Follow the Flock
2. Dig the War
3. adagium
4. God and Demerit Man
5. Modern Warfare
6. bru[
7. Commander Black

Free Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?waydt932vzt

Check out the myspace for lyrics which will be updated pretty soon.
http://www.myspace.com/invacuoband

FFChris

fallout said:
New Opeth always takes some time to get used to. I remember the backlash after Ghost Reveries and I remember someone telling me there was quite a bit after Still Life.

When I heard Ghost Reveries and Still Life, initially I didn't love both the albums, bit I could see quite a bit of depth in them both. Those are excellent albums as far as I'm concerned, but this new one.. I can't hear any of that classic Opeth quality which will make it more enjoyable after a few listens.

Phobophile

Cosmic Bus said:
Sorry, but boo-hoooo. Chicago gets thousands of shows every year; nobody ever plays up in this neck of the woods. For once, we get to have a good time.

With all that Quebecois BM out there? I doubt it.

Ceres

Banned
Outlaw said:
How was Eluveitie? i like both of their CDs a lot.

They didn't play in Canada. They couldn't get into the country so a band named Gwynbleidd out of Brooklyn subbed in.

Eric P

Ceres said:

i'm going to paganfest tonight.

i'm all about turisas.

Eric P

Turisas was awesome, Tyr was sloppy at the start but by the end of the set they were on point.

didn't catch enough of the first band to form an opinion and we left before Ens came on because I have to get up in a handful of hours

Did anybody go to the new england metal fest? pics?

Lineup:

Friday
Megadeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Job for a Cowboy and High on Fire
Saturday
Dimmu Borgir, Shadows Fall, and Behemoth.
Sunday: Ministry, Meshuggah, and Nevermore

Plus
A Life Once Lost, The Acacia Strain, After the Burial, Animosity, As Blood Runs Black, Belay My Last, Born of Osiris, Braindrill, Classic Struggle, Cockpunch!, Cold World, Dead to Fall, Demiricous, Dillinger Escape Plan, Disfear, Eluveitie, Elysia, Embrace the End, Emmure, The End, Ensiferum, First Blood, From a Second Story Window, Full Blown Chaos, The Ghost Inside, God Forbid, Hate Eternal, Hemlock, High on Fire, Impending Doom, Job for a Cowboy, Keep Of Kalessin, Kid Deposit Triumph, Ligeia, Mensrea, Monstrosity, Municipal Waste, On Broken Wings, Overkill, Recon, Red I Flight, Rhinoceros, Shai Halud, Shipwreck a.d., Since the Blood, Skeletonwitch, Sleeping Giant, Soilent Green, Sons of Azrael, Stick to Your Guns, Stray from the Path, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganze, Trap Them, Turisas, Tyr, Unexpect, Unholy, Vanna, Veil of Maya, Vital Remains, Waking the Cadaver, Winds of Plague, Withered, and Xtyr!

Also, is this thread too cool for the Rockstar Mayhem tour?

Main Stage

* Slipknot
* Disturbed
* DragonForce
* Mastodon

Jagermeister Stage

* Machine Head
* Airbourne
* Five Finger Death Punch
* Walls of Jericho
* Jagermeister Battle of the Bands Winner

Hot Topic Stage

* Underoath
* Black Tide
* Suicide Silence
* 36 Crazyfists
* The Red Chord

Ill be at 07/15 Fresno, CA at Save Mart Center

Ceres

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Did anybody go to the new england metal fest? pics?

I can never bring myself to attend this show. There usually are only a few good bands with a lot of crap thrown in and I'm simply left annoyed that they grab awesome tours where the bands don't get more than 30 minutes each so that I'm forced to travel to NYC or out of the country to get a full set. On top of this, I can't stand being near teenage hardcore fans who are disrespectful as all fuck. Yeah, turn your back on a band you don't like and talk throughout their entire set. You're really showing them. Sadly Dragonforce's wide appeal has caused this behavior to start infesting the power shows.

I_D

D3RANG3D said:
51N-5s94LGL._SS500_.jpg

So I got the new testament cd in the mail today.

I downlo-- err... bought it the other day.

It's their best album in quite some time, IMO. It's bruuuuuuuutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom