• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listening to Iced Earths single for their new album that's due out in the Fall.
It's got one song from the new album and two from their last one.

And Matt Barlow is singing on all of them!

As a huge Iced Earth fan, having Barlow back is like a love letter shot directly into my heart.

The new song I Walk Alone is pretty decent. Matt still sounds great. Song sounds better than a lot of stuff they've done with Owens.

Setian Massacre is first rerecorded song. Problem is that they manipulate Barlow's voice to sound pretty much exactly like Owens did, so it's a just like listening to the original.

The Clouding is so so so much improved over the original. Being a ballad, the song didn't really work with Owens singing. His voice had no power. Having Barlow here is fucking money. Now I love the song.

Ceres

Banned
I'll be seeing Iced Earth at PP USA. Fucking pissed that Volbeat won't be playing the fest but I'll deal. Helloween, Gamma Ray & Manticora Thursday night too.

Now Kamelot needs to book a show in Montreal Saturday October 11th so I can go. I'll accept Toronto though Edguy is playing so they'd likely play together (they are touring together in the US). Sunday should work too since Monday is Columbas Day. I'll also accept any other northeast location. Getting married in November so don't have any vacation days available to attend weekday shows.

Ænima

fistfulofmetal said:
I'm listening to Iced Earths single for their new album that's due out in the Fall.
It's got one song from the new album and two from their last one.

And Matt Barlow is singing on all of them!

As a huge Iced Earth fan, having Barlow back is like a love letter shot directly into my heart.

The new song I Walk Alone is pretty decent. Matt still sounds great. Song sounds better than a lot of stuff they've done with Owens.

Setian Massacre is first rerecorded song. Problem is that they manipulate Barlow's voice to sound pretty much exactly like Owens did, so it's a just like listening to the original.

The Clouding is so so so much improved over the original. Being a ballad, the song didn't really work with Owens singing. His voice had no power. Having Barlow here is fucking money. Now I love the song.
I'm glad you mentioned this. I had heard the samples, but I didn't think that the whole single would be leaked for a while. Downloading now.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Ceres said:
I'll be seeing Iced Earth at PP USA. Fucking pissed that Volbeat won't be playing the fest but I'll deal. Helloween, Gamma Ray & Manticora Thursday night too.

Now Kamelot needs to book a show in Montreal Saturday October 11th so I can go. I'll accept Toronto though Edguy is playing so they'd likely play together (they are touring together in the US). Sunday should work too since Monday is Columbas Day. I'll also accept any other northeast location. Getting married in November so don't have any vacation days available to attend weekday shows.

Yeah it's pathetic Volbeat dropped out of the tour that they signed up for that got their ProgPower appearance canceled.

fucking hell.

Torche is going on tour with Boris!

Boris is also playing a small private show to about 150 people at Amoeba Records in Berkeley, CA. just got my wristband for that show as well!

just picked up Death Breath- "Let It Stink"
awesome old school swedish death metal the way it should be. None of that Gothenburg pussy In Flames/At The Gates/Soilwork shit. Members of Entombed AND Repulsion. Fucking insta-classic.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I know they're touring at the moment (Come to Australia you bastards!) but reports on a new album have stalled to the point where it seems it may never happen.

Ravager61

Witchfinder General said:
I know they're touring at the moment (Come to Australia you bastards!) but reports on a new album have stalled to the point where it seems it may never happen.

I was actually wondering the same thing the other day. I cant wait to hear what they come up with now that David Vincent is back in the band.

edit: from wikipedia
Morbid Angel's appearance on some of the mid-summer 2008 European festivals is announced as a "short break from writing and pre-production of their new" 8th Studio album

They havent even recorded anything :(

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Giant Robot said:
just picked up Death Breath- "Let It Stink"
awesome old school swedish death metal the way it should be. None of that Gothenburg pussy In Flames/At The Gates/Soilwork shit. Members of Entombed AND Repulsion. Fucking insta-classic.

Too much lame punk influence. Listen to Necrovation and Deathevokation for new old-school DM.

Phobophile said:
Too much lame punk influence. Listen to Necrovation and Deathevokation for new old-school DM.

ah yes, both good bands. But im very partial to early Entombed and especially Repulsion. The punk influences is what made early Entombed what it is. And a nod to Deathevokation from stealing their name from a Carnage/Dismember song :p

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Saw Symphony X last night.

Best show I have ever been to. Words just cannot describe how awesome and amazing it was. They played for about 2 hours, Michael Romeo just doesn't even try anymore, it's just ridiculous.

Outlaw

Banned
NameGenerated said:

Best show I have ever been to. Words just cannot describe how awesome and amazing it was. They played for about 2 hours, Michael Romeo just doesn't even try anymore, it's just ridiculous.

They are amazing. I went to see them when they played here in Houston. Well, actually I went only because of Epica. I had already made up my mind to leave right after Epica but decided to stay for just one song of Symphony. Well....i was blown away. I stayed all the way through. They rocked hard. Best I have seen since Kamelot back last year. That with me just barely seen Bodom, In Flames and Megadeth the week before. I had seen Amon Amarth, Nightwish and other good bands Since Kameot too. Symphony X was fucking bad ass.

NameGenerated said:

I saw them last month.

Here are some videos Ive taken

Apocalyptica
Helden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeBXiz-vJeM
I dont Care
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-afQyJ6Ss

Symphony X
Set the world on fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmLZE62qOqA
Domination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrVivYBvrDI

Epica
Consign to Oblivion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIr1NgDWSGY

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
NameGenerated said:

Saw them last week, i wasnt that impressed to be honest. Romeo's guitar was so bassy it just ruined the sound.

New Shai Hulud album 'Misanthropy Pure' has leaked.

They are pretty much the only metalcore band I like. This sounds almost exactly like their last album 'That Within Blood Ill-Tempered', but not quite as catchy.

Ps. Thanks to the person who recommended Isen Torr!

Aske

Baker said:
I am finally listening to the new Deicide album and my day just got much brighter.

'Till Death Do Us Part' is pretty good, but it's not as strong as 'Stench of Redemption' in my opinion. 'Stench' had a punchier sound, the guitars had a lot more bite, and the song writing was more consistent. But 'Till Death' has some great tracks. 'Hate of All Hatreds' and 'Horror in the Halls of Stone' are fantastic.

I miss Glen's old vocal style. I liked being able to hear his lyrics back in the day. New Deicide is a great band, and since the old line up released nothing but trash after 'Serpents of the Light' I welcome the change, but I'd have loved one last album in the vein of the first four. Glad I got to see them live before they went off the rails, and with the new lineup I'd love to see them again.

Baker

Banned
Aske said:
'Till Death Do Us Part' is pretty good, but it's not as strong as 'Stench of Redemption' in my opinion. 'Stench' had a punchier sound, the guitars had a lot more bite, and the song writing was more consistent. But 'Till Death' has some great tracks. 'Hate of All Hatreds' and 'Horror in the Halls of Stone' are fantastic.

I miss Glen's old vocal style. I liked being able to hear his lyrics back in the day. New Deicide is a great band, and since the old line up released nothing but trash after 'Serpents of the Light' I welcome the change, but I'd have loved one last album in the vein of the first four. Glad I got to see them live before they went off the rails, and with the new lineup I'd love to see them again.

Agreed. I wrote that pretty much the second I pushed play.

The first three songs (included the title track) are pretty damn week. They have generic vocal rhythms and the mixing seems off.

However, once Hate of All Hatreds started, whoo boy. That's what I was looking for.

All in all, though yeah. I've only listened to it once, and I've been known to greatly change my opinion after a week of listening, but I would say this is their least memorable album yet.

The lyrics seem pretty uninspired too, which I don't usually expect from Mr. Benton. He seemed to try a lot of "through the subject's eyes" stuff and it doesn't really come out right.

778153a6.jpg

Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters

American Black Metal (the only good bm band to come from the us)

What are everyonne highlights concerning 2008 albums at the moment? I'd like to see what I'm missing out on. I'm listen mainly to black/death/prog/doom, but I don't mind something else (although those high pitched clean vocals found in power metal tend to creep me out)

I've already listened/plan to listen to the following:

The Monolith Deathcult - Triumvirate
Love this one. It's pretty brutal death metal at times (they used to be somewhat of a Nile clone) and sometimes more atmospheric. What makes them so special imo are the electronic influences. If you are intrigued, go listen to the song Kindertodeslied (and more songs) http://www.myspace.com/themonolithdeathcult
Septic Flesh - Communion
Death metal with symphonic overtones, sort of the death metal version of current Rotting Christ. I like it http://www.myspace.com/septicfleshband
Deathspell Omega - Manifestations 2000-2001 (compliation of split material) and Manisfestations 2002 (compilation Inquisitors of Satan-era unreleased material)
New Testament
Havoc Unit - HIV+
Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against Life

Also, I always open for more proggish/melancholic/atmospheric black metal, such as Enslaved, DSO, Shining, Silencer, Xasthur, Wolves in the Throne Room to name a few.

Phobophile

OmegaDragon said:
What are everyonne highlights concerning 2008 albums at the moment? I'd like to see what I'm missing out on. I'm listen mainly to black/death/prog/doom, but I don't mind something else (although those high pitched clean vocals found in power metal tend to creep me out)

I've already listened/plan to listen to the following:

The Monolith Deathcult - Triumvirate
Love this one. It's pretty brutal death metal at times (they used to be somewhat of a Nile clone) and sometimes more atmospheric. What makes them so special imo are the electronic influences. If you are intrigued, go listen to the song Kindertodeslied (and more songs) http://www.myspace.com/themonolithdeathcult
Septic Flesh - Communion
Death metal with symphonic overtones, sort of the death metal version of current Rotting Christ. I like it http://www.myspace.com/septicfleshband
Deathspell Omega - Manifestations 2000-2001 (compliation of split material) and Manisfestations 2002 (compilation Inquisitors of Satan-era unreleased material)
New Testament
Havoc Unit - HIV+
Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against Life

Also, I always open for more proggish/melancholic/atmospheric black metal, such as Enslaved, DSO, Shining, Silencer, Xasthur, Wolves in the Throne Room to name a few.

A summary of everything from 2008 I've heard. The best of the best are in bold.

Aarni - Tohcoth (experimental doom metal, 6.7/10)

Abominable Putridity - In The End Of Human Existence (brutal death metal, 9.0/10)

Arghoslent - Hornets Of The Pogrom (death metal, 8.5/10)

Arhont - Arhont (death metal, 8.4/10)

Arsis - We Are The Nightmare (technical melodic death metal, 6.5/10)

Averse Sefira - Advent Parallax (black metal, 7.8/10)

Belphegor - Bondage Goat Zombie (black/death metal, 8.1/10)

Biomechanical - Cannibalised (progressive metal, 6.2/10)

Boris - Smile (experimental/industrial/stoner doom metal, 7.0/10)

Brain Drill - Apocalyptic Feasting (technical death metal, 5.0/10)

Communic - Payment of Existence (progressive metal, 8.3/10)

Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom (sludge, 7.9/10)

Demiurg - The Hate Chamber (atmospheric death metal, 9.1/10)

Dismember - Dismember (death metal, 8.2/10)

Dystopia - Dystopia (sludge, 6.7/10)

Emeth - Telesis (technical death metal, 8.0/10)

Fight Amp - Hungry for Nothing (sludge, 8.7/10)

Genghis Tron - Board Up The House (electronic/grindcore, 6.9/10)

Havoc Unit - h.IV+ (Hoarse Industrial Viremia) (industrial black/death metal. 8.0/10)

Hour of Penance - The Vile Conception (technical death metal, 8.4/10)

Illdisposed - The Prestige (death metal, 7.2/10)

Indian - Slights and Abuse / The Sycophant (sludge, 8.4/10)

Lair of the Minotaur - War Metal Battle Master (sludge/thrash/heavy metal, 7.9/10)

Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life (black metal, 8.6/10)

Manilla Road - Voyager (heavy metal, 8.9/10)

Marionette - Spite (melodic death metal/metalcore, 7.9/10)

Mercenary- Architect of Lies (melodic death metal/power metal, 7.7/10)

Mirrorthrone - Gangrene (symphonic black metal, 7.5/10)

Morbosidad - Profana la Cruz del Nazareno (black/death metal, 7.9/10)

Necrovation - Breed Deadness Blood (death metal, 8.7/10)

Paganus - Paganus (sludge, 6.0/10)

Psychobolia - Fisting You All (Brutal Deathgrind, 7.7/10)

Sculptured - Embodiment: Collapsing Under the Weight of God (progressive metal, 6.4/10)

Stigma - When Midnight Strikes! (metalcore, 8.2/10)

The Sword - Gods of the Earth (doom metal, 5.9/10)

Torche - Meanderthal (sludge/stoner doom metal, 8.9/10)

Trinacria - Travel Now Journey Infinitely (experimental black/death metal, 8.0/10)

OmegaDragon said:
What are everyonne highlights concerning 2008 albums at the moment?

I don't follow metal religiously like i used to or keep up with any new updates/albums. I just usually wait and let something hit me by surprise, but so far this year:

Torche- Meanderthal
Arghoslent- Hornet of the Pogrom (fucking excellent band)

i might as well throw in Death Breath: "Let It Stink" but half that album are cover songs.
i'm more excited about some shows that are happening this year, like Torche/Boris, Repulsion/At The Gates/Municipal Waste (moreso Repulsion), Iron Maiden, and of course the Carcass re-unions.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I took a trip down to NYC last week to see Earth (I'd never seen them before) play the Knitting Factory. I had a glimmer of selfish hope that MAYBE they'd play, like, one old song, but of course they didn't; they pretty much only played stuff off their newest record. They sounded great, but fuck, it was boring. I'm just really not into their newer stuff. Great acoustics at that place, though!

Kayo Dot also played, and they were pretty underwhelming, too. Their new record is yet another massive disappointment. Toby Driver will never write another Choirs in the Eye, nor another Bath/Leaving Your Body Map. Shame.

Excited about the Boris tour, though. They hopefully will not disappoint (I know WITTR won't).

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
PrinceAdam said:
Deicides new album came out today.....

...don't buy it.

I heard the promo version of it. Don't believe the hype. It's "brutal"ly boring.
Fast speedy riff. Rawr rawr. tempo change. Fast riff again. Then Guitar solo. Rawr rawr. End.

vatstep said:
I took a trip down to NYC last week to see Earth (I'd never seen them before) play the Knitting Factory. I had a glimmer of selfish hope that MAYBE they'd play, like, one old song, but of course they didn't; they pretty much only played stuff off their newest record. They sounded great, but fuck, it was boring. I'm just really not into their newer stuff. Great acoustics at that place, though!

fuck.
same could be said for Sunn O))) Soooo amazing on record, snoozefest at shows.
i would be bored to fuck at an Earth or Sunn O))) show.

Phobophile

Verano said:
...don't buy it.

I heard the promo version of it. Don't believe the hype. It's "brutal"ly boring.
Fast speedy riff. Rawr rawr. tempo change. Fast riff again. Then Guitar solo. Rawr rawr. End.

So it's just as shitty as every other Deicide album.

Giant Robot said:
fuck.
same could be said for Sunn O))) Soooo amazing on record, snoozefest at shows.
i would be bored to fuck at an Earth or Sunn O))) show.

I actually enjoyed Sunn 0))) live more than most of their albums. I really only like Black One.

I've decided I might like to get more into metal. I listen to just about every genre under the sun, so I might as well get more into this one.

I'm pretty familiar with the discographies of Metallica, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. I also have Rust in Peace by Megadeth, and a bunch of stuff by Ulver, Lordi, Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

In the past, I've heard Opeth, who were pretty amazing, and I've also liked Iced Earth, Between the Buried and Me and Mastodon. I couldn't name any albums by these bands though.

If anyone could name me 10-15 essential metal albums by bands like Opeth, etc, I would really appreciate it. Just pick your favorite albums by your favorite metal bands, and that would probably give me a really good starting point.

Ravager61

So I just listened to Demiurg's The Hate Chamber and I dont understand what the hype is all about. Its a solid death metal album but nothing about it really stands out a lot to me. I also dont get why its labled as "atmospheric death metal". The atmosphere is similar to most other Swedish death metal bands.

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
So I just listened to Demiurg's The Hate Chamber and I dont understand what the hype is all about. Its a solid death metal album but nothing about it really stands out a lot to me. I also dont get why its labled as "atmospheric death metal". The atmosphere is similar to most other Swedish death metal bands.

The riffs are superlative. And I'd say that Demiurg's atmosphere, while subtle, it still a lot more than Dismember or Entombed ever had.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
The riffs are superlative. And I'd say that Demiurg's atmosphere, while subtle, it still a lot more than Dismember or Entombed ever had.

I guess. The riffing is definately solid but I didnt find it mind blowing. Ill definately give it a few more listens though.

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
I guess. The riffing is definately solid but I didnt find it mind blowing. Ill definately give it a few more listens though.

Breath of the Demiurg's more atmospheric, too. I was slightly disappointed at how much less atmospheric Hate Machine was.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
Breath of the Demiurg's more atmospheric, too. I was slightly disappointed at how much less atmospheric Hate Machine was.

Yeah, I have that album and I think I like it more. Im gonna give THC a few more spins though.

Ravager61

Green Shinobi said:
I've decided I might like to get more into metal. I listen to just about every genre under the sun, so I might as well get more into this one.

I'm pretty familiar with the discographies of Metallica, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. I also have Rust in Peace by Megadeth, and a bunch of stuff by Ulver, Lordi, Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

In the past, I've heard Opeth, who were pretty amazing, and I've also liked Iced Earth, Between the Buried and Me and Mastodon. I couldn't name any albums by these bands though.

If anyone could name me 10-15 essential metal albums by bands like Opeth, etc, I would really appreciate it. Just pick your favorite albums by your favorite metal bands, and that would probably give me a really good starting point.

Are you looking for bands with a similar sound to Opeth or just 10-15 essential metal albums?

Ceres

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Are you looking for bands with a similar sound to Opeth or just 10-15 essential metal albums?

Dunno but the 4 bands he listed are pretty different from each other.

If you like Opeth, I guess give Swallow the Sun a try.

For Iced Earth, you could listen to Jon Schaffer's side project Demons & Wizards. If you like that, Blind Guardian is another one to listen to. Depending if you prefer Barlow era, you could listen to the new Pyramaze with him. For stuff that sounds more like IE, Nevermore or Gamma Ray might be your best bets.

Not sure about the others as I'm not a big fan of either.

For general "broadening" listening..... Kamelot, Turisas, Therion, Ensiferum, Devin Townsend Band, Firewind, Mercenary, Evergrey, Raintime, Sonata Arctica, Agathodaimon, Orphaned Land, Rage....

Ravager61 said:
Probably 10-15 essential metal albums. I'm mainly looking for the best albums by the best bands. So if you like Iced Earth, then the best Iced Earth album. And the best Opeth album. And so on.

Although bands similar to Opeth would also be appreciated.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
vatstep said:
Excited about the Boris tour, though. They hopefully will not disappoint (I know WITTR won't).

Wolves dropped out of the tour, unfortunately. Clouds, Nachtmystium and Lair of the Minotaur are taking over -- naturally, the one I'm least interested in (Nachtmystium) is tagging along for the Montreal show I'll probably be at. Argh! I'd have loved to see LotM, who come on the week after, or even Clouds, who are pretty kickass.

Ravager61

Green Shinobi said:
Thanks. What about some good, all-around essential albums? Best albums by your favorite bands kind of deal.
Here is a selection of some essential albums sorted by genre. There are obviously many more essentials than what I have listed here but these are my personal favs. If you give me a specific subgenre that you like I can recommend more albums.

Death Metal:
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness (This is probably my favorite album.)
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Death - Symbolic
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

Power Metal:
(The Lord Weird) Slough Feg - Traveller
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Kamelot - The Black Halo

Black Metal:
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Summoning - Oath Bound
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss