• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I was never into metal until I discovered Mastodon a few months ago and I realized there must be a niche here for me. The Hunter got me into them, but Leviathan and Crack the Skye are the records that really impressed me.
Been recommended Baroness, love them too. Looking forward to their new album.

So, metal-gaf, are there other bands I should give a chance now? I'm really looking for more records like Leviathan : fast paced, with a ton of great riffs.

check out these guys then:
The Sword, Cavalera Conspiracy, Pantera, Torche, Cattle Decapitation (go extreme bro), and Divine Heresy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Started up a spotify list, looks like I'm set up for a while.

Well you can also check out remission and blood mountain?

I have, but I don't think they're as consistent as Leviathan or Crack the Skye. They do have some of my favorites (March of the fire ants, Colony of Birchmen, Sleeping Giant).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Started up a spotify list, looks like I'm set up for a while.

I have, but I don't think they're as consistent as Leviathan or Crack the Skye. They do have some of my favorites (March of the fire ants, Colony of Birchmen, Sleeping Giant).

They grow on you. Blood mountain is vastly underrated.

e_i

Arrghh! The Storm Corrosion Limited Edition with autographed poster has been slightly delayed (because of the poster).

e_i

And they only sent mp3s in 256kbps. For some reason I thought they were supposed to be 320kbps

From the listing:

Double LP set of the self-titled album with exclusive artwork
180g black virgin vinyl in gatefold jacket
Digital download of high quality FLAC files of the album
24" x 36" fold-out poster of exclusive artwork
Receive a digital download of the album the day BEFORE release
5.1 audio mix of the album
Two exclusive demo tracks and five instrumentals
The full album on CD
Over 2.5 hours of music

FLAC...not 256 mp3s! Stupid Roadrunner. I guess I'll wait until I get the CD and make 320 or FLAC rips.

NGAMER9

256 kbps is pretty weak. I would think there's a leak out there in better quality. If not, my CD got shipped super early for whatever reason (got it Thursday), so I'll rip a FLAC for any impatient audiophiles.

I'm still really enjoying the album, it's certainly not an album to just turn on and listen to whenever, but if it fits the mood, it's a great listen.

RDreamer

I sent a complaint email, and they sent back that the email was supposed to go out a week or so ago, so the delay isn't quite as bad. They said it should be sent out today or tomorrow, not next week. Still really annoyed by the whole thing since those that ordered from Stereoboutique in other countries got it sent to them and received it a few days ago (or will this week) and will get the autographed poster later.

RDreamer

I just got my shipment confirmation too, but it says standard ground.

Just checked, though, and it's coming from IL (I'm in WI), and so it'll apparently be here tomorrow. Wow.

I was never into metal until I discovered Mastodon a few months ago and I realized there must be a niche here for me. The Hunter got me into them, but Leviathan and Crack the Skye are the records that really impressed me.
Been recommended Baroness, love them too. Looking forward to their new album.

So, metal-gaf, are there other bands I should give a chance now? I'm really looking for more records like Leviathan : fast paced, with a ton of great riffs.

Not the same sound at all but try High on Fire's "Death Is This Communion" or the new one, "De Vermis Mysteriis". : )

On another note...Man, I'm still totally stuck in a stoner/doom/heavy mood. Those are 3 of my hymns right now:
A Funeral Request
Brother in the wind
Some you win some you lose
and of course: Dopesmoker live a few days ago
I'm going to see this tomorrow, yeaaah!

e_i

I just got my shipment confirmation too, but it says standard ground.

Just checked, though, and it's coming from IL (I'm in WI), and so it'll apparently be here tomorrow. Wow.

Yep...mine shipped and is getting here tomorrow.

I've been listening to the Trioscapes album. Great stuff.

So I just found out the new Testament album was delayed to July :'(

Any thrash or power coming out this year? All I cant think of is Testament and Manowar.

faridmon

Any great Melodic Death Metal release so far this year? Dark Tranquillity released an EP which I am not sort of excited about since many of the tracks were available in the collector’s edition of their album We are the Void.

Ixion

Just listened to the album A Sombre Dance by Estatic Fear. It's probably one of the best albums I've heard. I'm sure most of you guys know about it already, but it's basically Symphonic/Folk Metal with some Black/Death/Doom touches.

Check out this masterpiece:

Estatic Fear - Chapter IV

They only released two albums in the late 90s, which are both considered classics. This is their second one, so I need to check out their first album, Somnium Obmutum.

Ecrofirt

So, I'm both excited and nervous.

I've got interviews this weekend with David Ellefson and John 5.

Neither band (Megadeth, rob Zombie) has had too much information yet about their next albums, so I can definitely go somewhere with that. It's just a bit of a nerve-wracking thing to try to come up with some stuff to talk with these guys about.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Not the same sound at all but try High on Fire's "Death Is This Communion" or the new one, "De Vermis Mysteriis". : )

High on Fire is the first band I tried out, and I'm really starting to dig Mysteriis. Haven't listened to the album you mentioned, but 'Snakes for the Divine' also kicks ass from what I've heard of it. Title track (dat intro :eek:) and Bastard Samurai are boss.

Kaladin

Speaking of High On Fire, Southern Lord just posted this....

405068_322678514468791_114683338601644_711442_715031149_n.jpg

maxxpower

Just listened to the album A Sombre Dance by Estatic Fear. It's probably one of the best albums I've heard. I'm sure most of you guys know about it already, but it's basically Symphonic/Folk Metal with some Black/Death/Doom touches.

Check out this masterpiece:

Estatic Fear - Chapter IV

They only released two albums in the late 90s, which are both considered classics. This is their second one, so I need to check out their first album, Somnium Obmutum.

Amazing albums, both of them, but they can be quite a dense listen.

Ensiferum announced their European tour dates.

Bearers Of The Sword Tour 2012

Supports. Profane Omen and TBA
14.09.2012 Germany Garage Saarbrücken
15.09.2012 Belgium Hof Ter Lo Antwerpen
16.09.2012 Netherlands Metropool Hengelo
18.09.2012 UK O2 Academy Islington London
19.09.2012 UK Moho Manchester
20.09.2012 Ireland Button Factory Dublin
21.09.2012 UK Rescue Rooms Nottingham
23.09.2012 France La Machine Paris
24.09.2012 France tbc
25.09.2012 France Le Bikini Toulouse
26.09.2012 Spain Razzmatazz2 Barcelona
27.09.2012 Spain Caracoö / Arena Madrid
28.09.2012 Spain Totem Pamplona
30.09.2012 Switzerland Z7 Pratteln
01.10.2012 Italy RocknRoll Club Romagnano (Novara)
02.10.2012 Germany Basterd Club Osnabrück
03.10.2012 Germany Lido Berlin
04.10.2012 Austria Szene Wien
05.10.2012 Croatia Boogalo Small Zagreb
06.10.2012 Czech Republic MORC Zlin
07.10.2012 Hungary 202 Budapest
09.10.2012 Slovenia Gala Hall Ljubljana
11.10.2012 Poland Mega Club Katowice
12.10.2012 Germany Messehalle Straubing
13.10.2012 Germany Alte Spinnerei Glauchau
14.10.2012 Germany Zeche Bochum
16.10.2012 Sweden Brewhouse Gothenburg
17.10.2012 Norway John Dee Oslo
18.10.2012 Sweden Göta Källere Stockholm

Didn't expect them back in Dublin so soon but will be glad to have a gig to go to. Are Profane Omen any good?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Any great Melodic Death Meatl release so far this year? Dark Tranquility released an EP which I am not sort of excited about since many of the tracks were availible in the collectors edition of their album We are the Void.

must be a new genre of metal in bizarro world.

Speaking of High On Fire, Southern Lord just posted this....

405068_322678514468791_114683338601644_711442_715031149_n.jpg

About fucking time. Where do you see that on Southern Lord? The best HOF album I'd say. This is the 3rd release/different cover art now for Art of Self Defense I believe. I only have the demo and never grabbed the actual first print of the album :(

speaking of HOF, my Sleep order just shipped today! Way earlier than expected. 3 weeks ahead actually.

Kaladin

About fucking time. Where do you see that on Southern Lord? The best HOF album I'd say. This is the 3rd release/different cover art now for Art of Self Defense I believe. I only have the demo and never grabbed the actual first print of the album :(

speaking of HOF, my Sleep order just shipped today! Way earlier than expected. 3 weeks ahead actually.

It was posted to their facebook.

e_i

Storm Corrosion's Blu-ray = I came! Absolutely AWESOME. Mindblowing. If you get this version, listen to the Blu-ray first.

Autographed poster (I had to weigh it down):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Poster that comes with the vinyls:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Watevaman

Came across a Wyrd vinyl in a local record shop today. Was the Huldrafolk reissue in green vinyl for $12. Unfortunately I don't carry cash with me so I couldn't get it at the time, but I might go back and pick it up at a later time.

faridmon

Thanks for the people who answerd my question. Before Dawn and Rise to Fall sounds good. Can't have enough of Melodic Death Metal.

Last year was an amazing year for melodic death Metal, hopefully this year follows suit.

Last year was an amazing year for melodic death Metal, hopefully this year follows suit.
Snap, really? The only melo-death album I picked up last year was Surtur Rising, which was pretty underwhelming for me riding off the coattails of Twilight of the Thunder God. Other than that though, I didn't follow melo-death releases at all. Which albums should I look into?
Phew, Sleep were fantastic! Much heavier and aggressive than I imagined...A gigantic wall of sound!
Awesome, glad you had a good time. I'm envious, I'm sure the performance was legendary!

Kaladin

Got my Storm Corrosion package today. I hope we can get the demos they have on the blu-ray in mp3s somehow. I like those mixes almost better than the album version.

Snap, really? The only melo-death album I picked up last year was Surtur Rising, which was pretty underwhelming for me riding off the coattails of Twilight of the Thunder God. Other than that though, I didn't follow melo-death releases at all. Which albums should I look into?
Quickly looking over my library, and depending on your definition of melodeath and your standards of quality, there were releases by myGRAIN, Deadlock, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Before The Dawn, Mercenary, Scar Symmetry, Insomnium, Ghost Brigade, and The Unguided.

I think most people would suggest Insomnium's One for Sorrow, but I like Ghost Brigade's Until Fear No Longer Defines Us.

Quickly looking over my library, and depending on your definition of melodeath and your standards of quality, there were releases by myGRAIN, Deadlock, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Before The Dawn, Mercenary, Scar Symmetry, Insomnium, Ghost Brigade, and The Unguided.

I think most people would suggest Insomnium's One for Sorrow, but I like Ghost Brigade's Until Fear No Longer Defines Us.
Some of those bands I haven't even heard of. School just ended for me, and now I have a nice meaty list of artsits to check out! Excellent.

Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows was one of my favorite melodeath releases from last year:

http://youtu.be/pZnZVv9wVWg
http://youtu.be/10lLxc_PpYI
http://youtu.be/ex1Rh7wPo3c
These are awesome, I'll have to pick the album up soon.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Phew, Sleep were fantastic! Much heavier and aggressive than I imagined...A gigantic wall of sound!

awesome that you enjoyed it. When I saw them for the first re-union, it was just fucking magical....on another entire level. Everything from the backdrop, space/astronauts being projected behind them, the fucking wall of sound, Pike's power and stage presence and smoke filled room.

Awesome, glad you had a good time. I'm envious, I'm sure the performance was legendary!
Oh yes, it was : ) ...

awesome that you enjoyed it. When I saw them for the first re-union, it was just fucking magical....on another entire level. Everything from the backdrop, space/astronauts being projected behind them, the fucking wall of sound, Pike's power and stage presence and smoke filled room.
...In exactly the same way you described!! :D I stood in the front (1st row) directly in front of Pike, who was playing himself into another state! Could have touched his shoes, haha! The performance was indeed magical. From the first notes (Dopesmoker) till the reprise of the song in the end I was almost hypnotised! One new (?) song, Antarcticus Thawed in particular impressed me live! Perfect soundtrack for a apocalyptic movie (in my head it was!) : ) Also this was my loudest concert ever, but still in a good way!

...In exactly the same way you described!! :D I stood in the front (1st row) directly in front of Pike, who was playing himself into another state! Could have touched his shoes, haha! The performance was indeed magical. From the first notes (Dopesmoker) till the reprise of the song in the end I was almost hypnotised! One new (?) song, Antarcticus Thawed in particular impressed me live! Perfect soundtrack for a apocalyptic movie (in my head it was!) : ) Also this was my loudest concert ever, but still in a good way!

man, i was seriously fucking stoned until the next afternoon. I know this will sound like stoner talk, but I seriously felt like I saw a higher being and still tell people that. Like you said, it was very hypnotic. What you can hear and feel on the record at loud volumes is just an unexplainable experience in a live setting. Before the first notes were struck an astronaut came out and gave Pike his guitar, feedback noise and twiddling with his pedals for another couple minutes, then a sudden wall of fuzz. Fucking amazing experience. They ended the night with a cover of Ozzy Osbourne's "Over The Mountain" which caught almost everyone off guard.

ShaneB

For a lesser known melo death album from last year, this was near the top of my list for favourites from last year.

Climatic Terra - Earth Pollution. I described it before as basically what Arch Enemy would sound like if they decided to just say "fuck this new sound, let's just make another album that sounds like Carcass" And this is the result

climatic%2Bterra.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom