• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, British Metal. Newish stuff. Hit me.

I prefer quite progressive stuff really, with a lot of changes in tempo, but I'm also partial to a lot of heavier stuff. I really want to see what my Island has made over the last 10 years.

Thank fuck Maiden are still awesome. I haven't came across anything remotely interesting in a while.

got my Sleep - Dopesmoker re-issue.
came with a riff chart hahah

n19Xm.jpg

Watevaman

I got mine too, but I used scissors to cut the package top and accidentally cut some of the poster off. :(

Oh well, wasn't really planning on putting it up anyway.

Seems Stoner & Doom seems to be the topic du jour mostly and I just read about these guys Kadavar. Might be something some of you would dig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTJowDzePQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZ43OqTLmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWj6eD5NQ4

I saw them a few days ago, they were one of the support bands of Sleep this week. : ) They were pretty cool...maybe a little too serious on stage, though. The drummer looked a bit like Ginger Baker, haha!

Damnit, mine isn't here yet. Did you order the vinyl?

Edit: Those riff names are fucking amazing. HOT LAVA MAN

the CD + shirt came in first. I guess my vinyl order ships first week of June.

Got around listening to the Dopesmoker re-issue in one sitting. It is a pretty monumental remaster. Low end is very deep, but very supportive. Guitar sustain is a loud fuzz thats not too bright or too fatiguing, the drum mix is slightly muddier with the snare taking a back seat and the cymbal attack up front.

Ravager61

the CD + shirt came in first. I guess my vinyl order ships first week of June.

Got around listening to the Dopesmoker re-issue in one sitting. It is a pretty monumental remaster. Low end is very deep, but very supportive. Guitar sustain is a loud fuzz thats not too bright or too fatiguing, the drum mix is slightly muddier with the snare taking a back seat and the cymbal attack up front.

Yeah, they sent me the CD. Its so fucking amazing. I can't stop listening to it.

Also, been listening to my SunnO))) ØØ Void vinyl a lot lately. Pretty sure I'm going to get the O))) symbol tattooed on my arm at some point. Someone talk me out of it, please.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
need recommendations.

I have been listening Fear Factory, Butthole Surfers (96) and Animal Alpha for the past few days. Need something like this (in spirit) but from A NEW BAND (preferably from the past 3 years).

any suggestions?

I prefer quite progressive stuff really, with a lot of changes in tempo, but I'm also partial to a lot of heavier stuff. I really want to see what my Island has made over the last 10 years.

Thank fuck Maiden are still awesome. I haven't came across anything remotely interesting in a while.

Warning (doom, listen to this if you like doom) http://youtu.be/o-fCxBHCG4g
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats (Sabbath doom) http://youtu.be/zfNHX5k9N-A
Code (distinct black metal with clean vocals) http://youtu.be/4Zh4KpCfC10 and http://youtu.be/p71Mfd_5_i4
Fen (atmospheric black metal with post-rock/shoegaze influences) http://youtu.be/s5BpEMKGPSQ
40 Watt Sun (ex-Warning, doom) http://youtu.be/5IEvmtSxfuI

Anaal Nathrak (black metal/grindcore) http://youtu.be/8CWLlBBht5s
The Axis of Perdition (industrial black metal/ambient) http://youtu.be/HENX1PMxr_A & http://youtu.be/27LFm9zHhp8

Esoteric (funeral doom) http://youtu.be/DM9WW4pP-Tw
Ackercocke (blackened death)
Electric Wizard

man, i was seriously fucking stoned until the next afternoon. I know this will sound like stoner talk, but I seriously felt like I saw a higher being and still tell people that. Like you said, it was very hypnotic. What you can hear and feel on the record at loud volumes is just an unexplainable experience in a live setting. Before the first notes were struck an astronaut came out and gave Pike his guitar, feedback noise and twiddling with his pedals for another couple minutes, then a sudden wall of fuzz. Fucking amazing experience. They ended the night with a cover of Ozzy Osbourne's "Over The Mountain" which caught almost everyone off guard.
: ) In Berlin they startet with Dopesmoker, played stuff like Dragonaut (incredibly heavy version, slower than on the album and with that Dopesmoker attitude!), Sonic Titan, Antarctican's Thawed and wrapped the whole thing up with Dopesmoker again! I think I already said that..whatever, I can't stop thinking about the gig! :D

Cathedral - The Garden Cathedral. Unique and always awesome!

Cactus

Banned

Here are a few of my favourite British bands. Not sure if they fit your tastes, though.

Lamp of Thoth
Arkham Witch
Serpent Venom
Sloth

Cathedral - The Garden Cathedral. Unique and always awesome!

The Garden is awesome. Their most recent album, The Guessing Game, is even more progressive, so maybe that one might suit Galvanise_'s fancy as well.

Funeral of Dreams
Painting in the Dark

Ecrofirt

I interviewed Megadeth and Rob Zombie band members today and now I'm having a fucking awesome time at their concert in Scranton, PA.

Kaladin

Fucking awesome show with Ghost, Opeth and Mastodon. Ghost was an awesome band live, can't wait to see them again after they have a few more albums and can headline. Also, I don't know if they do this in every city, but after Ghost finished, they played the theme for Ghostbusters as they left the stage. It got everyone cracking up. Mikael finally did some growling vocals again with Demon of the Fall and The Grand Conjuration. Also, at the end of Mastodon's set while they played the encore "Creature Lives", Opeth, Ghost and Mastodon's families came out on stage to close the tour.

It was a really awesome show, Mastodon and Opeth are such a great pairing I hope they can tour again.

NGAMER9

Does anyone here use ear protection when going to shows? Tinnitus is a scary thing, and after the last concert I was at my ears rang for four days straight. It freaked me out, usually it subsides the next day. I'm going to a metal festival in a week and am considering these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_asp_Yy4dD.0E5BWZM

Does anybody have any recommendations?
Yep, I haven't gone to a show without them in years. As a word of caution, the blue earplugs are a bit small, at least for my ears. That's fine for the majority probably, but for me personally I found them way too small. I replaced them with the white ones, and they were a much nicer fit, they formed a bigger seal and were easier to take in and out.

Other than the sizing though, the etymotic plugs are great, I've never had a problem with them. Especially in comparison to the various foam ones I was using prior, that muffle the sound a bit too much. If you're going to a metal show, ear protection is a must.

Man, I LOVE this band. "Watching from a Distance" is one of my favorite doom albums of all time. Just crushing.
Yeah, I go back and forth on whether I like it or "The Inside Room" more, I think Watching From a Distance may edge it out slightly. Patrick Walker sure knows how to build a heavy atmosphere/mood.

maxxpower

Fucking awesome show with Ghost, Opeth and Mastodon. Ghost was an awesome band live, can't wait to see them again after they have a few more albums and can headline. Also, I don't know if they do this in every city, but after Ghost finished, they played the theme for Ghostbusters as they left the stage. It got everyone cracking up. Mikael finally did some growling vocals again with Demon of the Fall and The Grand Conjuration. Also, at the end of Mastodon's set while they played the encore "Creature Lives", Opeth, Ghost and Mastodon's families came out on stage to close the tour.

It was a really awesome show, Mastodon and Opeth are such a great pairing I hope they can tour again.

I heard Mikael was in a car accident last week, thankfully he only suffered minor injuries.

Ixion

I heard Mikael was in a car accident last week, thankfully he only suffered minor injuries.

Here's what he said on Facebook:

Hi guys! I'm writing from beyond the grave. Seriously, I was not in a car crash and I haven't broken my arm. All that happened is I hit my head in mastodons tour bus as I was getting a new pair of (red) underwear out from my suitcase. Wish the story was more rock and roll, believe me. Anyways I split my head open down to the skullbone and had to be taken to the emergency. They gave me a bunch of shots in the wound, cleaned me up and stapled my head shut with 8 metal staples. Head is sore and if I smile it feels like the wound is gonna burst open again, but I'll be on stage by tomorrow again. I feel extremely disappointed that we couldn't play at the myth in Minneapolis, but paramedics told me I couldn't. We will reschedule the show for our next trip to the USA. So all rumors of me being in a car crash are false. I did crash my head into a car though, well...a bus really. Sorry for disappointing our fans in Minneapolis but I hope you understand. See you next time. Best. Mikael

And here's the pics:

156443_10150934913108410_7496603409_11978088_1219033067_n.jpg

535324_10150951285243410_7496603409_11994369_467138399_n.jpg

faridmon

Snap, really? The only melo-death album I picked up last year was Surtur Rising, which was pretty underwhelming for me riding off the coattails of Twilight of the Thunder God. Other than that though, I didn't follow melo-death releases at all. Which albums should I look into?

I think you had your answer but I'll just say those are really amazing:

One for Sorrow by Insomnium
New World Shadows by Omnium Gathreium
MyGrain by MyGrain
Metamorphosis by Mrecanaries (not as good as The Hours that remain, but quite good initself)
a Virgin and a Whore by Eternal Tears of Sorrow

Yeah, I go back and forth on whether I like it or "The Inside Room" more, I think Watching From a Distance may edge it out slightly. Patrick Walker sure knows how to build a heavy atmosphere/mood.

Two different bands with slightly different styles of doom. 40 Watt Sun is fantastic without a doubt, the melodies just are not as strong as the stuff from Warning.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Watching from a distance is better. Inside Room is great, but Watching just hits harder.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Check acoustic recordings of several Warning/40 Watt Sun songs.

faridmon

For a lesser known melo death album from last year, this was near the top of my list for favourites from last year.

Climatic Terra - Earth Pollution. I described it before as basically what Arch Enemy would sound like if they decided to just say "fuck this new sound, let's just make another album that sounds like Carcass" And this is the result

climatic%2Bterra.jpg

Will look into this. I really like that album cover.

Ixion

I've listened to some more albums...

Wintersun - Wintersun (2004)

tumblr_lnvll1Ic2z1qmn8fdo1_500.jpg

Genre: Melodic Black Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Power Metal, Folk Metal

Rating: 4.5 / 5

This band has only released one album in 2004 and it's already considered a metal classic. It basically takes the speed and epic feel of power metal, the vocals and melody of melodic death metal, the atmosphere of black metal, and creates a perfect synthesis. Some may find this too cheesy, but I feel it never goes overboard. They are actually coming out with a second album this summer, which has been in the making for years.

Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun (1992)

blusparaelsolrojo.jpg

Genre: Stoner Metal, Heavy Metal, Psychedelic Metal

This is Kyuss' second album and along with Welcome To Sky Valley it's considered one of their two classic albums. Overall, this album is just as good as the proceeding album, but I wasn't a fan of The Thong Song. It's pretty boring, which prevents this from being a perfect album. All in all though, the riffs are great and there's a nice dash of psychedelic rock in here as well.

Animals As Leaders - Animals As Leaders (2009)

aal.jpg

Genre: Progressive Metal, Instrumental Metal, Jazz Fusion

Now this is some fresh stuff. There are no vocals, but the music will draw you in anyway. It's very complex, varied, and experimental, but it should be quite accessible as well. There's a ton of melody and this album will occasional get pretty heavy as well, but the pacing is never too exhausting. A couple boring filler songs aside, you can't go wrong with this. I can't wait to hear their second album.

Estatic Fear - Somnium Obmutum (1996)

albumpic_65603_0.jpg

Genre: Death Metal, Folk Metal, Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal

Rating: 5 / 5

I thought A Sombre Dance was a perfect album, but this is even better! It's heavier than the proceeding album and contains more touches of doom metal and gothic metal. The structure of the album is not very accessible though, as it consists of two short passages and two extremely long songs (30 minutes and 18 minutes respectively). There is never a poor section of this album though, so don't worry.

I've listened to some more albums...

Wintersun - Wintersun (2004)

tumblr_lnvll1Ic2z1qmn8fdo1_500.jpg

Genre: Melodic Black Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Power Metal, Folk Metal

This band has only released one album in 2004 and it's already considered a metal classic. It basically takes the speed and epic feel of power metal, the vocals and melody of melodic death metal, the atmosphere of black metal, and creates a perfect synthesis. Some may find this too cheesy, but I feel it never goes overboard. They are actually coming out with a second album this summer, which has been in the making for years.

Fucking sold halfway thru the first song. Any time death or black metal gets a power metal treatment I get a happy. Needless to say, this gave me a happy.

They're like Children of Bodom if Children of Bodom stayed good.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Fucking sold halfway thru the first song. Any time death or black metal gets a power metal treatment I get a happy. Needless to say, this gave me a happy.

They're like Children of Bodom if Children of Bodom stayed good.

133583674429.gif

Doomshine

Apart from their first two album, they have sucked so hard its just crazy. I never seen any other band falling harder than them. Even their fans seem to agree that only 2 albums was being produced by them.

First 3 + Tokyo Warhearts are pretty good, Hate Crew Deathroll also has its moments, but anything after that is mediocre at best.

Ixion

Apart from their first two album, they have sucked so hard its just crazy. I never seen any other band falling harder than them. Even their fans seem to agree that only 2 albums was being produced by them.

I personally like all of their albums except for the last two. I don't see how anyone can't like the first four. As for Are You Dead Yet?, I feel it's a solid mix of melody and heaviness, while the proceeding albums just abandoned the melody too much.

fallout

I think my biggest gripe with early Children of Bodom is that a lot of it sounds like it was ripped off from boring classical music that I played as a kid on piano.

This is a little off-topic but I've got a strange feeling these days. The enlightenment came on my way to the supermarket, headphones on, listening to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLDyj6AH0A
Music really covers my head right now, like a layer of wrappings. It's becoming more than just stuff I listen to at this point of my life! A really strange feeling of music being a soundtrack of my current life; synchronized to my feelings, situations, body, everything. Cathedral, High on Fire, Black Sabbath, Zappa, Sleep, Orange Goblin...I can't stop feeling it for one second! Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom