• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGAMER9

low quality though :(
Yeah, 192 kbps blows, and I know it'll sound amazing when I have the physical CD/blu-ray/vinyl to listen to. Either way, I loved it on first listen, but it's not at all what I expected. The first couple songs are almost symphonic at times, and there's a few others that are almost purely ambient.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Yeah, 192 kbps blows, and I know it'll sound amazing when I have the physical CD/blu-ray/vinyl to listen to. Either way, I loved it on first listen, but it's not at all what I expected. The first couple songs are almost symphonic at times, and there's a few others that are almost purely ambient.

Could you say that its in the Sigur Ros realm of ambient noise?

NGAMER9

Could you say that its in the Sigur Ros realm of ambient noise?
I'd say it in certain sections it gets near that, yeah. But it progresses a fair amount, at least in most of the songs. And every so often there are some vocal melodies or percussion that take it out of that ambient realm and more into solo Steven Wilson territory.

I really enjoyed it on first listen, more so than Heritage at least, and I quite liked that one.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
After attending a pagan fest in Mexico City this weekend, (in which there was Ex Deo, Arkona and TÝR). I am listening an awful hell of a lot the "Addicted" from Devin Townsend; progressive stuff is always awesome coming from this dude, and Anneke is the cherry on top <3

Daigoro

i caught the Ghost, Opeth, Mastodon show a few weeks back when they showed up in CT. it was pretty fantastic.

i missed Ghost unfortunately (the few songs of theirs ive heard didnt really grab me at all, but i wouldve liked to see them).

did make it in time for Opeth though, and they blew me away. similar to Ghost, ive youtubed a few songs and kind of wanted to listen to more, but havent followed up. they were really amazing live (being on mushrooms probably helped a bit). seriously fucking awesome. after their set i almost wanted to go home it was so good. but of course i didnt.

Mastodon was great that night. i had seen them on the tour for the previous album and it was a good show, but nothing special. the venue sucked, there were technical issues and the band didnt seem to be feeling it. i also think that The Hunter is a lot better than their last album, so that helped.

edit: i was informed after the show that the guy who played keys for Opeth was backing up Mastodon during their set. there was also some weird shit going on with Brent doing some high pitched squealy voice harmony stuff, possibly through some sort of device, but i was on the other side of the stage or in the middle in the pit for the show, so i didnt see what was going on clearly over there. some cool shit though.

the venue was also really really good. great space, great sound, and i didnt hear a peep out of security (the way it should be). great fucking show!

and now i think i need to get me some Opeth. no idea where to begin though. My Arms Your Hearse probably.

e_i

Tracks one through three are great. The 4th is just eh. Five is freaking fantastic. Six is pretty good.

i caught the Ghost, Opeth, Mastodon show a few weeks back when they showed up in CT. it was pretty fantastic.

i missed Ghost unfortunately (the few songs of theirs ive heard didnt really grab me at all, but i wouldve liked to see them).

did make it in time for Opeth though, and they blew me away. similar to Ghost, ive youtubed a few songs and kind of wanted to listen to more, but havent followed up. they were really amazing live (being on mushrooms probably helped a bit). seriously fucking awesome. after their set i almost wanted to go home it was so good. but of course i didnt.

Mastodon was great that night. i had seen them on the tour for the previous album and it was a good show, but nothing special. the venue sucked, there were technical issues and the band didnt seem to be feeling it. i also think that The Hunter is a lot better than their last album, so that helped.

edit: i was informed after the show that the guy who played keys for Opeth was backing up Mastodon during their set. there was also some weird shit going on with Brent doing some high pitched squealy voice harmony stuff, possibly through some sort of device, but i was on the other side of the stage or in the middle in the pit for the show, so i didnt see what was going on clearly over there. some cool shit though.

the venue was also really really good. great space, great sound, and i didnt hear a peep out of security (the way it should be). great fucking show!

and now i think i need to get me some Opeth. no idea where to begin though. My Arms Your Hearse probably.

Just went to the show in Denver last night...Ghost is surprisingly good, much heavier live than on their album; the crowd wasn't really feeling it at first but we warmed up after a few songs and they really set the mood for a good night.

Mastodon came on next, there was a good rhythm of one rage-in-the-pit song then one more-relaxed song to catch some air; way better than last time I saw them following up Dillinger Escape Plan where the crowd was pissed and raged the whole time. But yeah, like you said, technically issues, especially with Brent's mic, but they were stoked on us and gave us a double encore

Then Opeth was a lot of fun, flawless performances all around, Mike was funny as always, and it was a great set...mostly clean-sung Heritage stuff but that's to be expected. My only real complaint was that Mike's guitar was way too quiet (
the dueling solos in "Burden" made this extremely obvious
) and they didn't play an encore even though we were fucking screaming for one, guess they weren't really feeling it.

And yeah My Arms Your Hearse is a sweet place to start with Opeth...not their best album (imo), but it works you up to their best stuff very well.

You're on StormSpell? Good shit! I saw DarkBlack live a few times. Their stuff is damn good.

Well, not so much "on StormSpell" as in they have the rights to one pressing of our album in cd format. We've also self-published on iTunes and Spotify. I do love StormSpell though. Definitely my favourite among the small indie metal labels.

Can't catch many of the bands on there live though since most of them are from the US and there's this annoying huge pond between me and them ;/

Kaladin

The new Marilyn Manson album is out there....this one is ok but every song sounds kind of samish except for a couple of ballads. I would put it just under Holy Wood in terms of quality. It's definitely better than anything he's put out since Holy Wood, but still not as good as anything before it. I think Twiggy being back in the band is the big improvement.

Ravager61

I need to see them live again, I saw them in Atlanta in December after the blue album came out and it was an awesome headlining show. I even saw all four members of Mastodon in the crowd.

I've seen them twice. Once shortly after the Red Album came out and that was an amazing performance. Rays On Pinion always blows my mind live. That drumming...

Kaladin

I've seen them twice. Once shortly after the Red Album came out and that was an amazing performance. Rays On Pinion always blows my mind live. That drumming...

I actually have seen them twice now that I think of it. The first time was for the Red album but they were opening for Opeth and the sound was kind of shitty and they didn't seem into it.....they were definitely into it in Atlanta though.

Ravager61 - I approve of your Sleep lungsmen avatar.

uPCkl.png

Yep, but it's a bit blurry! Ravager61, I made a clearer version for you!

Also:Black Cobra - Beyond. Really nice chaotic sludge/doom whatever! You can hear the influences but they kind of developed their own style in that niche after a few albums. : )

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
530092_10150822642356639_7113706638_11433824_871472695_n.jpg

YES. We're going to absolutely DESTROY Dubai.*

Not literally, of course. We're the friendly kind of Saudis, I promise.

Seriously, if anyone is in Dubai come check this show out. It will be insane.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm in a sort of down mood today, so I figured why not complete the effect and melt my mind with some slow, crushing riffs. I've spun a lot of stuff today, and I have to say, even though they're an obvious choice, Sleep's "Dragonaut", off of "Sleep's Holy Mountain", takes the fucking riff cake. I just love the chant-like vocals and the low-hung groove of the ever-present riff throughout the song. So amazing.

I'm in a sort of down mood today, so I figured why not complete the effect and melt my mind with some slow, crushing riffs. I've spun a lot of stuff today, and I have to say, even though they're an obvious choice, Sleep's "Dragonaut", off of "Sleep's Holy Mountain", takes the fucking riff cake. I just love the chant-like vocals and the low-hung groove of the ever-present riff throughout the song. So amazing.

then you like like OM.

My friend just suggested me some great stoner/psych/rock....but all instrumental!
Kind of reminds me of Uffomammut, Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats, Black Sabbath, and maybe a touch of Uli Jon Roth.

SerpentThrone_RideSatanRide.jpg

pmlp1103.jpg

Serpent Throne - Satan Will Guide Us
Serpent Throne - Headed For An Unmarked Grave
Serpent Throne - Riff Forest

Ravager61

Well all of my friends are giant pussies so it looks like I'm going to see Baroness alone tonight. They are playing a super tiny venue too. Should be amazing.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
That show was pretty great.

hell yeah!!!! I got thrown into the pit during Behemoth's Of Fire And The Void. Shit was fuckin cray in the pit. Anyways, I got kicked in my chin by crowd surfers, my feet stomped, got elbowed in the side of my head few times and someone spilled beer all over my face. good times especially that dude in his suspenders. that dude was moshing non-stop. Also, I saw some dude in serious pain walking away from the pit holding his crotch. Poor guy...

Flynn

hell yeah!!!! I got thrown into the pit during Behemoth's Of Fire And The Void. Shit was fuckin cray in the pit. Anyways, I got kicked in my chin by crowd surfers, my feet stomped, got elbowed in the side of my head few times and someone spilled beer all over my face. good times especially that dude in his suspenders. that dude was moshing non-stop. Also, I saw some dude in serious pain walking away from the pit holding his crotch. Poor guy...

Nice! I wanted to be down there for Watain, but I didn't feel like shoving a ton of people to get there.

Ravager61

Royal Thunder - Sleeping Witch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P1zR_klf1GE

First song off their debut album....another great Atlanta band. Bluesy, sludgy, hot female vocals.....I think they will be big.

Also, this song was on their EP, but it was shorter.....so I guess a demo maybe?

Also hear Whispering World at bandcamp:

http://royalthunder.bandcamp.com/

Wow, I was actually going to post this. I saw them open for Baroness last night and was extremely impressed. That chick can really sing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Fucking amazing. I might post some pictures tonight after work. They played 1 new song I think, which was really good. Had a different sound than most of their material.

Sweet. The word has been the new record is pretty focused and isn't as meandering as blue. Would be nice if they finally got the attention and credit they deserve.

Anyone ever see Destruction live?

How are they? I'm debating if I want to see them along with Warbringer in a few weeks.

EDIT:

Also, does anyone here blog about metal? I know some have talked about starting such a thing.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
then you like like OM.

Oh hell yeah, I love OM. In fact, stoner/doom/sludge metal is my favorite sub-genre by far.

In other news, the new single by Circus Maximus, "Reach Within", is out on iTunes, Spotify, etc. It's great stuff, not quite as hard as some of their other songs, but it gets me hyped through the roof for the full album, as they are by far my favorite power-metal-ly, Queensryche-esque band.

How are they? I'm debating if I want to see them along with Warbringer in a few weeks.

EDIT:

Also, does anyone here blog about metal? I know some have talked about starting such a thing.

I saw Destruction in the late 90's/early 2000's when they did the craze Kreator/Sodom tour. Unfortunately Sodom wasn't on the bill when they came here to San Francisco, but it was still a fucking awesome show. It pretty much brought out all the old school headbangers and fist pumpers.

It still pretty much looked and sounded like this: Thrash Attack (Live 1988)

not sure how they are today, but I don't think they've drastically changed their live performance.

-Eddman-

Saw them a month ago. Totally recommended, their sound was amazing on the secondary stage of an open air festival, so I assume they must be brutal on improved conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom