• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archon473

Did someone say Confessor?
confessor-condemned.jpg

Just listened to Ne Obliviscaris and currently listening to Barren earth, they sound pretty good. Thanks for the recommendations.

Anyone got recommendation for 2012 black metal albums? I'm enjoying the Mgla and Lunar Aurora albums.

Damn!

The whole band sounds pretty lively! It looks like they just needed a break after the DM touring.

Edit: But shit, James headbanging, growling the fuck out of those lyrics, it's like he went in a rejuvenation chamber. Especially when he yells "Blackened".

I hope they tour soon in the states.

Cactus

Banned
Not sold on the drumming, but the other three parts of the Sabbath reunion sound awesome.

Here they are playing Under the Sun. Tony/Geezer are awesome as always, and Ozzy does a good job keeping up. He's definitely not the singer he once was, but supposedly he sang every song except Wheels of Confusion very well. Based on the Youtube clips I've heard, that doesn't seem to be very far from the truth.

Hopefully Tony's treatment continues going well and the band can tour as they originally planned, with Bill Ward or without him.

EDIT: full audio

The Ragnarokkr Metal Apocalypse festival was incredible! Metal festivals are now my new favorite thing ever, it was just so goddam fun. Plus, I got drunk for my first time ever at a show, which was a fantastic experience.

One of my highlights, which really surprised me, was Skull Fist. I missed most of their set but what I did see was killer. They are a very fun, fairly technical heavy metal style band with soaring operatic vocals. I almost get an early Maiden vibe from them.

Check out this video of them performing one of their best songs, No False Metal. I just love it when the lead singer/guitarist gets on the shoulders of the rhythm guitarist for the shredding solo. They had such a wonderful stage presence. Really though, they only have one LP out so far and I highly recommend it. I bet a lot of people here would enjoy it.

images

Also I fist bumped the lead singer of Wizard several times throughout their performance, which is awesome because this was the only time they've ever performed in America. And after seeing them live, I must say I prefer their brand of over-the-top metal to the comparable Manowar

Kaladin

Full Opeth show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1gHNCnJFw

Live at Enmore Theatre ( Sydney - Australia - 12/16/2011)

Set List:

01. Devil's Ochard
02. Feel the Dark
03. Face of Melinda
04. Porcelain Heart
05. Nepenthe
06. Throat of Winter
07. Credence
08. Closure
09. Slither
10. A Fair Judgement
11. Hex Omega
12. Folklore

This looks like it was professionally filmed.

-Eddman-

Went to see Unisonic, Gotthart and Pain yesterday at Mexico City. It was a particular combination, since Unisonic and Gotthard are Heavy/Hard Rock and Pain is straight-up Industrial, but I really enjoyed them all.

Wasn't familiar with Pain but ended liking them a lot. I didn't know it was a side-project from Hypocrisy's singer, a band I do like.

I'm a massive german power metal fan and Michael Kiske is my favorite singer of all time, so my expectations were really high with Unisonic, and the sons of bitches somehow managed to surpass them. The chemistry within the band (not just Hansen and Kiske) is unbelievable. They basically played their whole album plus some old Helloween classics and everything sounded heavier and better than the studio versions, fucking Hansen can do no wrong.

Kiske's voice is in better shape than 2 years ago when I saw him with Avantasia. He can hit all the high notes and his trademark vibrato is something you need to experience live, out of this world. I know my words are biased since I'm a huge fanboy, but damn, he sounds far better than 25 years ago.

faridmon

Well.....shit

Edit: Hey maybe the young generation of girls will give Metallica a whirl now and learn what real music is.

Yeah, by picking the latest ones by mistake and swear by it instead of The Black Album and Justice for all.

There is no happy ending to this. NONE AT ALL!

:p

The Ragnarokkr Metal Apocalypse festival was incredible! Metal festivals are now my new favorite thing ever, it was just so goddam fun. Plus, I got drunk for my first time ever at a show, which was a fantastic experience.

One of my highlights, which really surprised me, was Skull Fist. I missed most of their set but what I did see was killer. They are a very fun, fairly technical heavy metal style band with soaring operatic vocals. I almost get an early Maiden vibe from them.

Check out this video of them performing one of their best songs, No False Metal. I just love it when the lead singer/guitarist gets on the shoulders of the rhythm guitarist for the shredding solo. They had such a wonderful stage presence. Really though, they only have one LP out so far and I highly recommend it. I bet a lot of people here would enjoy it.

images

Also I fist bumped the lead singer of Wizard several times throughout their performance, which is awesome because this was the only time they've ever performed in America. And after seeing them live, I must say I prefer their brand of over-the-top metal to the comparable Manowar

NO! I completely forgot about this :(

Glad you enjoyed it!

Did they allow drinking a Mojoe's? I went to the Iced Earth concert and they wouldn't serve alcohol unless you had VIP access.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I know it's already been mentioned, but the new Saint Vitus is like a metal mallet to the forehead.

It's available on Spotify, just FYI.

Watevaman

Has anyone gotten the 4:20 Sleep shirt that you got for ordering at exactly 4:20?

I got an email from a man named Greg and replied to the info email address but never heard back. I even got the actual CD and the LE shirt that came with that already.

Kaladin

Has anyone gotten the 4:20 Sleep shirt that you got for ordering at exactly 4:20?

I got an email from a man named Greg and replied to the info email address but never heard back. I even got the actual CD and the LE shirt that came with that already.

Haven't got anything from my Sleep orders yet.

I've gotten my CD and LE shirt, but not my vinyl's yet. I did order mine close to 4:20pm, but not sure if they honored my order.

JESU fans might find this interesting.

JESU s/t Picture Disc Mix on bandcamp: http://jesu.bandcamp.com/album/jesu-picture-disc-mix-unreleased-original-vision

This is the master that was NOT used for what became the Picture Disc Mix, this was intended to be the master, but was shelved last minute; this master was intentionally sampled at a higher rate, so as to achieve a 'pop' sound / production, unlike the mix to be found on the 'actual' jesu Self Titled, a move which would be an absolute travesty for some! And a move that was decided against at the last minute, so the master was resampled back to the original pitch and sent to be pressed as the Picture Disc. So, this master is unreleased, and available here for the first time, the 'actual' Picture Disc master, is also available here at Bandcamp.

The Picture Disc of the Self Titled Jesu album, was remixed entirely for the LTD ED Picture Disc version (1000 copies), released in 2006. An Alternative mix with quite significant differences to the original album mix; the concept was to remix it more 'cleanly', due to the original mix containing a lot of distortion. There are still clicks, etc in this mix though due to the nature of the original recording. Here, the album is now remastered in 2012, since the original Picture Disc master was intentionally mastered flat.

The catalyst for this entire remix of the album was the pressing plant who were to cut and press the picture disc - with the original master of the S/T, they claimed the original was to max'ed out and distorted to be cut to an picture disc! I was, at the time, intrigued by the concept of a cleaner, and even 'poppier' mix of this album, anyway, so set about cleaning the the thing up. Hence the re-sampled higher speed version; attempting to go even further with this 'pop' concept.
For the record, my personal favourite mix of this album IS the original mix, which is known, universally, as the debut jesu album 'S/T', the mix that made it to CD/Vinyl, etc, etc.

Justin K Broadrick. May 2012.

not as aurally pleasuring like the actual s/t release, but still quite interesting.

Kaladin

There's more banjo awesomeness on his sophomore album, Collapse. As well as on a this split: http://panopticonmerch.bigcartel.com/product/panopticon-wheels-within-wheels-split-part-1

I'd say he's grown quite a bit since his first albums, but pretty much everything is awesome.

In addition to metal, I'm a big fan of neo traditional country, alt country, roots, Americana and bluegrass and I'm all for anything that blends that type of music with metal or punk.

Ravager61

At the record store today and they had Disembowelment's Transcendence into the Peripheral on vinyl. Listening to it now for the first time and I'm not sure what to make of it. Parts of it are amazing but part of me feels like its kind of... directionless. I feel like the doom/atmospheric parts don't transition well with the death/faster parts. Just my initial impression. I do like it though.

Can you guys recommend me some stuff?

I like older metal, heavier stuff. I'm kinda new to the scene, but listening to the older material of Slayer, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc. I do listen quite morbid stuff too.

Going to take some tips from the thread but there are so many!

I like older metal, heavier stuff. I'm kinda new to the scene, but listening to the older material of Slayer, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc. I do listen quite morbid stuff too.

I also started with basically the same selection of older bands as you have listed. Mastodon and Amon Amarth have been my gateway drugs to other areas of metal. For mastodon, listen to the album leviathan, and for amon amarth, listen to twilight of the thunder god.

It can help if you are bit more clear about what you like and what kind of recommendations you want. Things like "heavier stuff" and "quite morbid stuff" are a bit vague, maybe you can elaborate a bit and give some examples of bands perhaps?

Some bands you might like from different genres:

Apocalyptica http://youtu.be/jsYcRSNL8To

Pain of Salvation http://youtu.be/KotPLVXngVw

Agalloch http://youtu.be/pmoe7wwm4HM

Bathory http://youtu.be/OyYnstGB3rM
Celtic Frost http://youtu.be/J1DVq5C6AuI

Paradise Lost http://youtu.be/E319AWgG_GM

Ensiferum http://youtu.be/VLhAZLezJvQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom