• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Greetings, friend! Are you looking, perchance, to have your face melted away in a flood of subterranean riffs so fucking heavy that they have actual weight? Perhaps you are wanting to lay back and groove in a weed-smoke-filled room as thick, murderously weighty notes wash over you in a never-ending sonic assault that cracks your bones and scours your mind like the flayed tentacles of the Ageless Ones from beyond the veil?

Well, then, sir or madam, I have an album for you:

3JGTz.jpg

Ahab - The Giant

Prepare yourselves.

Greetings, friend! Are you looking, perchance, to have your face melted away in a flood of subterranean riffs so fucking heavy that they have actual weight? Perhaps you are wanting to lay back and groove in a weed-smoke-filled room as thick, murderously weighty notes wash over you in a never-ending sonic assault that cracks your bones and scours your mind like the flayed tentacles of the Ageless Ones from beyond the veil?

Prepare yourselves.
You sold me with the description, but post some links my man!

faridmon

The only album I have of Dir En Grey is Vulgar and I consider it one of the best albums last decade. I am sure many people told me that other albums are better but I am scared to go to listed to others since I hold this album very dear (if that makes any sense)

I guess I'll have to get Ureburo sometimes in the near future.

Quikies83

The only album I have of Dir En Grey is Vulgar and I consider it one of the best albums last decade. I am sure many people told me that other albums are better but I am scared to go to listed to others since I hold this album very dear (if that makes any sense)

I guess I'll have to get Ureburo sometimes in the near future.

This band has changed styles so many times over their lifespan (since 1997). They've honestly only gotten heavier, IMO, since Vulgar --- Withering to Death and The Marrow of a Bone were my intros to Dir En Grey. I've since gone through their discography and I keep going back to The Marrow of a Bone and Uroboros. Like I said a few posts up though, their latest effort is not to be missed. You'll be shocked how much their style has changed since you've last heard them.

Doomshine

Candlemass has fired(?) their vocalist (He wasn't good live???). They are now on their sixth one:

http://www.candlemass.se/candlemass/2012/06/02/candlemass-singer-change/

Their album is coming out soon. Even though they've said that this is last album...it won't be.

Wow, that sucks. I must say though that, for a band that has gone through so many vocalists, they've been fortunate to have mostly great ones.

Well, I guess it depends on how you define "fortunate".

SoulPlaya

more money than God

3JGTz.jpg

Ahab - The Giant

Prepare yourselves.
Great fucking stuff here.

Finally listened to Warbringers Worlds Torn Asunder.

This band is an amazing example of what great thrash is. And each album is progressively better than the previous!

Quikies83

Could anyone recommend me any bands similar to We Butter the Bread with Butter? Don't laugh...
I've worn their first 2 albums out over the past year.

Blackheim

just read that Matt Pike from High On Fire/Sleep checked into rehabilitation for alcohol. Here's hoping he comes out ok.

Been jamming to a lot of Thrash over the past few weeks. Death Angel are re-releasing The Ultra-Violence through their site so I ordered that today. Got in 3 DBC(Dead Brain Cells) CDs in the mail today too, good stuff. Listening to Ironchrist, Deathwish, Blatant Disarray, Wrathchild America...

Hmmm, links!

DBC - Negative Reinforcement

Ironchrist - World War Three (Crack Party Weekend)

Deathwish - Carrion

Blatant Disarray - Undetermined

Wrathchild America - Desert Grins

great stuff. I've been listening to a lot of EvilDead and Demolition Hammer lately

EvilDead - Annihilation of Civilization
Demolition Hammer - Skull Fracturing Nightmare

Quikies83

And I can't thank whoever recommend Ne Obliviscaris enough --- album of the fucking century. I can't stop listening to it (2 weeks now).

Kaladin

Slayer-Apron.jpg

Metal Sucks said:
“We’ve heard that Slayer fans aren’t the smartest lot, so we think it’s really important that we send the message that this guy is kind of retarded and accidentally set a massive fire while grilling. The fans will be able to relate to that.”

Enosh

damn the new Agonist album is really good imo
I'd say even a bit progressive at times, or at least you don't hear that kind of song structures in straight up metalcore

bart jr

Neo Member
Thanks for the recommendations, I will check those out.....

also, Southern Lord just signed this awesome Texas crossover thrash band.

http://powertriptx.bandcamp.com/

I posted a link to these guys a while ago, I'm glad you're into it!

Are any of you guys into Young And In The Way? I've heard their name thrown around a lot but I'm finally getting around to listening to them. They are an awesome mix of hardcore and thrash with a little bit of black metal thrown in.

http://youngandintheway.bandcamp.com/

So new Manowar at the end of the month, then Testament a few weeks after :D

Edit: Also, is there a site that lists metal shows? Going to each band's website is kind of tiring.

Ixion

Also, is there a site that lists metal shows? Going to each band's website is kind of tiring.

There are a number of options for this. I use both Ticketmaster and Songkick. You could create a Ticketmaster account and add all the bands you like to your favorites. Then it will show you a calender of shows based on your location.

There's also an app I have for the iPhone called Songkick that scans your iTunes library and makes a calender just like that.

RDreamer

And I can't thank whoever recommend Ne Obliviscaris enough --- album of the fucking century. I can't stop listening to it (2 weeks now).

It is fucking amazing. It'll probably be one of my top metal albums of the year. I know Devin Townsend'll compete with Epicloud, though.

The new Be'lakor album is pretty great. Came out yesterday and is up on Spotify

http://youtu.be/mPHJycgRLN8

Totally forgot about their new one. Going to have to listen to it.

Onemic

I have officially been sold on Protest The Hero. Kezia is an amazing piece of work, anyone know if any of their other albums exceed or at least match up quality wise to their first one?

Greg

No words on new Fear Factory? Or not metal enough?
I thought it was boring. A big step down from their last release which was a return to form of sorts.

I have officially been sold on Protest The Hero. Kezia is an amazing piece of work, anyone know if any of their other albums exceed or at least match up quality wise to their first one?
Fortress and Scurrilous do different things, but both are equally impressive in terms of quality.

I've seen people state all 3 as their favorite, so it depends on what you're looking for. I'd go in order and check out Fortress next - Scurrilous is the least accessible (with Kezia being the most) and takes some spins to sink in compared to the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom