• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

So Dying Fetus are playing here tomorrow. I like Killing on Adrenaline well enough but being a Sunday, I won't be able to get as dunk as I would like at this kind of show.

Should I go?

Blackheim

Ok! The bandcamp page is up for my friends band :D I won't shill too hard and so will make this my last post about it unless it comes up in the future by someone else >_>

zflmob.bandcamp.com

Give it a visit and listen to some tunes :D Some of you may like what you hear, there are 2 albums there to check out...

That's cool but why include the same track twice? It's not a double album, is it?

back to the Bongripper Live at Roadburn 2012.
They played 2 shows.
1st night - All of Satan Worshipping Doom
2nd night - "Normal" set, which did include a song off of Satan Worshipping Doom.

There will be an LP of just the Satan Worshipping Doom album. The 2X CD will have both shows, hence 2 of the same tracks.

Ixion

Went to a Christmas Party. We had a white elephant gift giving.

Basically. I gave this girl a copy of Enslaved's "Frost"

Enslaved_frost.jpg

Nothing says Christmas more than Norwegian Black Metal.

I'm having a white elephant gift giving as well this Thursday. I think I'm going to use your idea.

Any suggestions guys? lol

I'd also like to do something Winter themed. Perhaps 'At The Heart of Winter'?

I'm having a white elephant gift giving as well this Thursday. I think I'm going to use your idea.

Any suggestions guys? lol

I'd also like to do something Winter themed. Perhaps 'At The Heart of Winter'?

or "Into Darkness" from the band Winter.

although At The Heart of Winter is a pretty good choice. Blizzard Beasts too.

-Eddman-

New Helloween video is up: Nabataea

Nice to hear they're returning to their late 90's sound, as this track could have easily been extracted from Better than Raw or The Dark Ride. I didn't like the forced "evil" theme of 7 Sinners.

Been a fan since my teenage years and I'm happy they're still one of the most consistent Power Metal bands around. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but you gotta recognize their ability to stay strong despite many, many line-up changes.

Archon473

pretty much, but their music isn't lazy.

Those sort of "minimalist" song titles do not leave a strong impression; neither do simple scratchy logos, dull album titles, and especially dull album artwork (I'm not referring to the live photo you posted; I'm guessing that was just a promo picture). Albums are a product and every aspect of the album must be judged. I do not cut bands slack for lackadaisical song titles, lyrics, album titles or artwork, and certainly not for their band name. If I pulled that Bongripper album from a shelf and read those song titles, it would be immediately replaced. Treating any part of your album as less important than the music is careless.

robertoci

Just experiencing NOLA by Down for the first, and by fuck is it great! Think Phil Anselmo's vocals are so much more varied than they are on any Pantera album, has anyone got any reccomendations for bands that sound similar to them?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can you guys recommend some good metal documentaries? Yesterday I watched 'A Headbanger's Journey' and while I thought it was ok, I wanted something that focused more on the history of the music itself and the different branches, evolutions and genres. I noticed Sam Dunn also made the series 'Evolution', where he focuses on one genre/movement per ep. Is that any good, and are there other things I should watch?

Those sort of "minimalist" song titles do not leave a strong impression; neither do simple scratchy logos, dull album titles, and especially dull album artwork (I'm not referring to the live photo you posted; I'm guessing that was just a promo picture). Albums are a product and every aspect of the album must be judged. I do not cut bands slack for lackadaisical song titles, lyrics, album titles or artwork, and certainly not for their band name. If I pulled that Bongripper album from a shelf and read those song titles, it would be immediately replaced. Treating any part of your album as less important than the music is careless.

oh, i agree with you for the most part. A big reason why i have a large collection of physical media and nothing bought digitally, it's part of the ritual. I believe part of the band's image can and does come from how they are represented through artwork, album names, the whole package. Some song titles do leave a bland impression, i.e. Cannibal Corpse. On the other hand bands like Pan-Thy-Monium have really unconventional song titles (I, II, II, IV...even an album with all untitled tracks, and another album all in Swedish. Yet their music is some of the most challenging and well written stuff in that realm of metal. All part of the mystique i guess.

Drunkenly popping into this thread to remind everyone that Metal-GAF is still my favorite GAF, and I often regret the fact that I lurk more than contribute here these days

Still, I listen to every single song posted by you blokes.

Keep being badass everyone, is the point

Can you guys recommend some good metal documentaries? Yesterday I watched 'A Headbanger's Journey' and while I thought it was ok, I wanted something that focused more on the history of the music itself and the different branches, evolutions and genres. I noticed Sam Dunn also made the series 'Evolution', where he focuses on one genre/movement per ep. Is that any good, and are there other things I should watch?

The "Evolution" series is the same style/approach to the "A Headbanger's Journey". He can't please everyone with nomenclatures and whole history into 1 hour segments, but i think it was pretty decent.

There was a supplemental 1 hour extra about the Black Metal scene on the "A Headbanger's Journey". That one is pretty good, although it's nothing different from what you already know/seen about the whole Norwegian Black Metal scene.

The Anvil documentary is very good, even if you arent a fan of metal at all.

Last Days Here is a documentary about the lead singer of Pentagram. Pretty depressing the whole way through and I've never finished it.

Such Hawks Such Hounds documentary focused on the Stoner/Doom stuff like Sleep, Om, Sunn O))), St. Vitus, Kyuss etc.

A few weeks ago someone posted the One Man Metal videos that followed Xasthur, Lurker of Chalice/Leviathan guy, and Striborg. Pretty good and short 3 part documentary.

If you liked Sodom or Kreator they both released some Live DVD's that had a bunch of history behind the band and just talk about the whole German thrash scene in general. Same thing with the Voivod DVD.

One of my favorites was a video comp/interviews/videos with a bunch of old Earache/Combat/Peaceville bands called Hard 'N Heavy Grindcore Special. Had a bunch of stuff with Entombed, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Nocturnus, Paradise Lost, Bolt Thrower all talking about the height and early days of the death metal/grindcore explosion of the late 80's/early 90's.

The be all end all of metal interviews/live footage is Ultimate Revenge. It was basically a metal tutorial with Slayer, Exodus, and Venom in 1985.

ManeKast

The Decline of Western Civilisation Part II : The Metal Years

A classic, especially if you find the glam metal thing entertaining. Has some cool Megadeth bits and hilarious clips. Well worth it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Just experiencing NOLA by Down for the first, and by fuck is it great! Think Phil Anselmo's vocals are so much more varied than they are on any Pantera album, has anyone got any reccomendations for bands that sound similar to them?

Yes. The rest of the down records =)

*edit* Coc - deviverance, wiseblood, america's volume dealer.

Blackheim

^^^^ Ahhh forgot about Decline of Western Civilization. That WASP interview is legendary.

lol, I remember seeing that when it came out as was like, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?, when it got to Chris. I loved W.A.S.P. back then, still do, and it was rough watching that haha. I wish that movie would get a super awesome blu-ray release :/

Ravager61

I love the Decline pt. 2. That whole music scene was so utterly insane back then. Some of it is hilarious and some of it is very sad.

Until The Light Takes Us is a pretty good recent doc on black metal. It just follows a few musicians around and examines their outlook on life and how they live. Fenriz, Frost, and Varg are 3 of the main people they focus on. It's on Netflix

rexor0717

It looks like I'm going to have to wait, as my finances are a little lower than anticipated. I'm already preparing for the fact that it will be sold out when I have the funds

Speaking of the best band every though... listen to this shit from The Hobbit soundtrack.

Song of the Lonely Mountain

I've listened to it at least 30 times in the past few days. At first it didn't grab me much, but it has REALLY grown on me. It's very much in the same vein as a Blind Guardian acoustic track. I might even send them an email begging them to do a cover at some point.
Oh wow, this is good. I didn't even notice while watching the movie.

choodi

Banned
One of my favorites was a video comp/interviews/videos with a bunch of old Earache/Combat/Peaceville bands called Hard 'N Heavy Grindcore Special. Had a bunch of stuff with Entombed, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Nocturnus, Paradise Lost, Bolt Thrower all talking about the height and early days of the death metal/grindcore explosion of the late 80's/early 90's.

I have this on VHS somewhere at home. Really cool in a cheesy early 90s way.

Yes. The rest of the down records =)

*edit* Coc - deviverance, wiseblood, america's volume dealer.

Yes, those are really good! Especially Deliverance! It's almost a party album...in a good way! Down II and their new purple EP are my favourites, concerning all things Down.

I want to add Crowbar's "Odd Fellows Rest". To me it's the band's best album. Crowbar consisted of half the Down lineup in those days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HcV4wBKgW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4jXytauauY

(Double post, ooops!)

Finally some good news! Cathedral's new album will be out april 2013, we'll see a new video of one of the new songs in january, yeaaaah!
bVZY5.jpg

Cathedral - The Last Spire scheduled for release in April. New video coming soon.

Yes, Cathedral are currently putting the finishing touches to what will be the last ever album from these British Doom legends. Produced by Lee Dorrian and Garry Jennings, with assistance from Jaime Gomez Arellano, The Last Spire is scheduled for an April 2013 release via Rise Above Records. Tracklisting is as follows;

01. Entrance to Hell
02. Pallbearer
03. Cathedral of the Damned
04. Tower
of Silence
05. Infestation of Grey Death
06. An Observation
07. This Body, Thy Tomb.

Non-album track Vengeance of the Blind Dead will appear as a flexi disc on the front cover of Decibel magazine in their March issue (on sale February 7th).

The band also recently shot a fantastic promo for new track Tower of Silence,which will be available to view some time in January.

The track will appear on an exclusive Rise Above Records CD sampler to be given away with Classic Rock Magazine towards the end of the same month.

In related news, Septic Tank, a band featuring Cathedral members Scott Carlson, Garry Jennings and Lee Dorrian will make their debut live appearance at The Garage, Highbury & Islington on Friday 3rd May.

They will be openning for Carlson's legendary institution of grind, Repulsion, who will be make their debut headline UK performance. Special guests are Necrophagia. Tickets here.
http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/event/repulsion-tickets/23067

Septic Tank will release a very limited vinyl only EP titled The Slaughter via MCR Records, Japan, to coincide with the show. They will have a limited number of colour copies on sale exclusively at the event.

Tracklisting as follows;
Side A
01. Fatal Eclipse
02. Forest of Bones
Side B
01. Gotesque Cavalry of Mankind
02. The Slaughter

ShaneB

So Soilwork just released a song from their coming double album "Spectrum of Eternity" Soilwork - Spectrum of Eternity NEW SONG 2012

I think it is pretty good. Plenty heavy and sounds like Soilwork, so everything a fan can wish for, apart from one more album produced by Devin Townsend.

I haven't kept up with Soilwork at all really with their past few releases, but this track is completely badass. Thanks for pointing it out.

Also, regarding Metal Docs.. Sam Dunn is mentioned, but no mention of Global Metal? booo, I think it' awesome, and definitely educational, which is exactly what a doc should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom