• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

Not to sound like a hipster elitest here, but if that Blind Guardian box set was on vinyl I would buy it. I just have no use for CDs anymore.

Over the years, I've kind of grown out of my love for a lot of power metal but there's no way I could ever stop loving Blind Guardian. They are one of the bands that got me into metal in the first place.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
They really are! I've known Floor Jansen's voice for years at this stage, because her first band "After Forever" as they were huge icons for me during the years when I was a goth, and her voice, to me, is one the most versatile ones in the scene, I totally recommend you to see them. Nightwish are back from the grave, she gives the band what they needed, the power to play old songs like Wishmaster, with that operatic voice but she can also sing those new songs from Imaginaerum.

Alright I'll take your word for it. I may buy tix in the next few weeks then. But if she's dodgy, I'll be after blood

Melchiah

The new Desolate Shrine album is available for streaming here.

What did you like it? It's definitely one of my favorite albums of the year.

And for those who may be interested...

The new album of The Crescent (ex–Enochian Crescent) with the new vocalist Hellwind (Desolate Shrine, ex-Sacrilegious Impalement) will be out early 2013, and the digital split-single featuring the last song of Enochian Crescent and the first of The Crescent shall be released in December 21st, and in vinyl 7" format in the beginning of next year.

As for True Black Dawn, which nowadays includes Syphon (Baptism, ex-Sacrilegious Impalement, ex-Deathbound, ex-and Oceans) & VnoM (Maveth, Phlegein, Cryptborn), we've made demo recordings of a handful of new tracks for ourselves, and plan to record and release a new album next year as well. The material is more complex and twisted than before. I'll post a taster here next year, when we've made some proper recordings.

uOGds.jpg

Ravager61

A couple people asked me to write something up on the High on Fire/Goatwhore show so, I did.

I got to the venue about 10 minutes before the first band went on. This venue is probably my favorite place to see live music in St. Louis. It's pretty small and usually has pretty good sound.

First band was a local band called the Lion's Daughter. I guess they opened for Torche back in the summer but I had to miss that show so this was my first time seeing them. I was actually quite impressed with them. They were a 3 piece that had kind of a black metal meets sludge metal sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvOJYqZUV3c

Next up was Lo-Pan. Never heard these guys before either. I must say I wasn't that impressed. They sounded like a shitty Down to me. They had some Ok riffing but their singer didn't seem to have much power behind his voice.

In the middle of Lo-Pan's set I got bored and decided to go smoke a cigarette outside. I was talking to the drummer for the Lion's Daughter for a while, who was a cool dude. Matt Pike came out to also smoke a cigarette so I got to talk to him for a bit which was cool. A couple weird "you're my hero" dudes started talking to him though and he seemed to get uncomfortable so he went back inside.

I hung out outside until I heard Goatwhore's set start. These guys can put on a show. I haven't heard their newest record but all the songs sounded great and they played Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult which was awesome. Sammy Duet also told me my Beherit shirt was fucking awesome which was sweet.

The crowd was somewhat into Goatwhore and there was some moshing and headbanging through their whole set which I like. I'm not typically big into pits but they can be fun in smaller venue's like this. This was not the case for High on Fire. People basically just stood there the whole set nodding their heads. It was awful. Maybe the worst crowd I've ever seen at a metal show. Some drunk dude and I even tried starting a pit a few times but no one seemed interested. Fucking stupid.

Anyway, High on Fire were pretty good. They played a really good mix of old stuff and new stuff. Matt seemed annoyed with their monitors the whole time though and threatened to walk off stage but I guess they got it straightened out because he finished the set. I will say, there seems to be something lost in the transition from their albums to the live set. I think some of their subtle dynamics are lost. This can be ok if people at the show are there to have a good time but everyone just seemed to be into nodding their head so I didn't think their set was as much fun as it could have been.

Goatwhore was my favorite set of the night. Those guys, especially the vocalist, are just great performers and all their stuff sounded amazing. High on Fire was a bit of a letdown but still fun.

The crowd was somewhat into Goatwhore and there was some moshing and headbanging through their whole set which I like. I'm not typically big into pits but they can be fun in smaller venue's like this. This was not the case for High on Fire. People basically just stood there the whole set nodding their heads. It was awful. Maybe the worst crowd I've ever seen at a metal show. Some drunk dude and I even tried starting a pit a few times but no one seemed interested. Fucking stupid.

Ugh... pit starters. The worst.

Ixion

I've been in a pit a few times and while I remember having fun each time, I don't remember the music too much. You can't really take it all in.

So I understand when people want to just watch the show.

Ravager61

I'm not typically into moshing but this crowd was just so lame. It was just an attempt to get people moving a bit at least.

If you don't want to be in a pit, its not hard to just move away from it.

Watevaman

I think my local venue has a no moshing rule but it's not like there's room to anyway. I'd be pretty pissed if someone tried to start one.

Kaladin

I think my local venue has a no moshing rule but it's not like there's room to anyway. I'd be pretty pissed if someone tried to start one.

I wish some of the smaller venues I have been to had that rule. I remember a show for The Sword where I was standing up front and got the wind knocked out of me because someone ran into the back of me from the pit and pushed me against and over the waist high stage.

Another show with Gojira at a different smaller venue got insane because it was so packed but people still tried to mosh.

Ravager61

This place is pretty small but they let people mosh all they want. Stage diving is frowned upon though. I almost got kicked out of a punk show for doing it a couple times once.

That's why DIY shows are the best.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4XaJ2jCcJQ
To me, this is an ideal crowd at a punk/metal show. Not really moshing per say but everyone is super into the music and just having a great time instead of standing around with their hands in their pockets, nodding their heads.

Moshing is the lowest common denominator appreciation of live heavy music. I'm there to watch the band, not the fools in the crowd. Now if I'm up front and it's so intense that a pit naturally breaks out, then fine. It happens. The most intense pit I've been in was a Smashing Pumpkins show before the band even hit the first note of the first song. But when a few people think that's what should be going on and try to start shit when there is no mood for it in the crowd, that's just lame.

What did you like it? It's definitely one of my favorite albums of the year.

And for those who may be interested...

The new album of The Crescent (ex–Enochian Crescent) with the new vocalist Hellwind (Desolate Shrine, ex-Sacrilegious Impalement) will be out early 2013, and the digital split-single featuring the last song of Enochian Crescent and the first of The Crescent shall be released in December 21st, and in vinyl 7" format in the beginning of next year.

As for True Black Dawn, which nowadays includes Syphon (Baptism, ex-Sacrilegious Impalement, ex-Deathbound, ex-and Oceans) & VnoM (Maveth, Phlegein, Cryptborn), we've made demo recordings of a handful of new tracks for ourselves, and plan to record and release a new album next year as well. The material is more complex and twisted than before. I'll post a taster here next year, when we've made some proper recordings.

uOGds.jpg
Really looking forward to hearing some material of both The Crescent and True Black Dawn. Thanks for keeping us updated Wrath, appreciate it.

Gotta listen to the stream of the new Desolate Shrine now!

Melchiah

It's good. I like it better than Tenebrous Towers so far.
I hope the booklet has a lot artwork. The artwork in the Tenebrous Towers booklet was great.

Yeah, I like it better as well.

As for the covers...
UYvo9l.jpg

EDIT: Here's a nice article about Desolate Shrine and Maveth BTW.
http://meatmeadmetal.wordpress.com/...-last-drop-out-of-2012-death-with-new-albums/

Really looking forward to hearing some material of both The Crescent and True Black Dawn. Thanks for keeping us updated Wrath, appreciate it.

Gotta listen to the stream of the new Desolate Shrine now!

Eventhough I'm not involved with the band anymore, I have to say I like the material on the upcoming album, and I'm quite interested in hearing how the new vocalist handles them. The split-single features the last song in which I was involved in.

As for BD, we have over half of the material ready. The composing pace has been faster than usual, as we have two composers now. Nefastos, who writes lyrics for Baptism, will also contribute on the album, as will some Finnish musicians from the industrial/power electronics scene.

Archon473

Moshing is the lowest common denominator appreciation of live heavy music. I'm there to watch the band, not the fools in the crowd. Now if I'm up front and it's so intense that a pit naturally breaks out, then fine. It happens. The most intense pit I've been in was a Smashing Pumpkins show before the band even hit the first note of the first song. But when a few people think that's what should be going on and try to start shit when there is no mood for it in the crowd, that's just lame.

I do not think audience members mosh to be seen moshing; sometimes, that is a fun way to participate in the performance. However, there should be a courtesy shown to other audience members who do not wish to participate in the same manner. Dragging unwilling people into the pit is abusive. I'm lucky that I've never seen anything get out of hand during a show. I have always seen those against the stage left alone (though they may get involved in the action and should be willing to accept this), those moshing have an area in the middle of the floor, and those wishing to stay out of it clear the floor and basically form a living container on the outskirts of the venue. I attend heavy metal shows (sometimes there are supporting punk acts) and have only witnessed cordial behavior. People let others out of the action should they chose to avoid it and support those involved in the action if they fall or get tired. I've been involved in some war-like moshpits but nothing was ever violent; it was all in good fun. Metalheads and punks do not seem like a violent crowd; moshing does not involve shoving people to the ground or punching and kicking. It's just about moving. Now that I'm an adult, I don't mosh or even headbang as much compared to when I was a teenager going to shows. I'm more likely to stand at the back of the venue or side of the stage where the sound is even and enjoy the performance, but I know what it's like to be a wide-eyed kid experiencing a show and needing to let go of everything.

As a musician, I view the crowd as an entity. I'm like a snake charmer. I want that control over the audience to be able to affect them in that way. This takes it beyond me standing in place showcasing my music. A friend of mine said he loves seeing people moshing and going crazy because of his music. Perhaps I have been fortunate to only experience good-natured crowds. This interaction between audience and performers is important because without it, the idea of performing is pretty arrogant and self-fulfilling.

Its kinda of a two sided coin, we're both there to enjoy the music, moshing and people waiving their hair in my face or randomly bashing into me tends to start to ruin my enjoyment of the show, but it elevates theirs. I will tolerate it to a point because I dont ruin their enjoyment and I can easily ignore them. But if its unbearable screw them.

Ravager61

I don't want to sound like a dick here, but stand in the back or to the side if being bumped into really bothers you. I'm of the mentality that if I just wanted to listen to music, I could just throw on a record. I go to shows to have a good time, dance, rockout, what have you. Crowd participation is key to my enjoyment of shows.

I don't want to sound like a dick here, but stand in the back or to the side if being bumped into really bothers you. I'm of the mentality that if I just wanted to listen to music, I could just throw on a record. I go to shows to have a good time, dance, rockout, what have you. Crowd participation is key to my enjoyment of shows.

Depends on the band for me. If I were at an Arch Enemy gig for example I'd get stuck in. If it were Iron Maiden I'd be chilling out with a pint. Different bands have different crowds.

Ravager61

Depends on the band for me. If I were at an Arch Enemy gig for example I'd get stuck in. If it were Iron Maiden I'd be chilling out with a pint. Different bands have different crowds.

Oh yeah, for sure. I'm more talking at more extreme metal and punk shows. Death metal, hardcore, etc.

-Eddman-

Not to sound like a hipster elitest here, but if that Blind Guardian box set was on vinyl I would buy it. I just have no use for CDs anymore.

Over the years, I've kind of grown out of my love for a lot of power metal but there's no way I could ever stop loving Blind Guardian. They are one of the bands that got me into metal in the first place.

I agree man. It's kind of sad that most metal subgenres are vinyl-friendly except Power Metal. I would kill for some re-releases of the early Helloween/Gamma Ray/Blind guardian stuff.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I havent been in a pit since i was 18. These days i prefer actually listening to the band instead of being on a lookout for some rogue limb before it can collide with my skull.

I also prefer to be beaten to the ground by the sound of a metal band, not by the people around me. Not a fan of moshpits at all. Mostly I'm one of those head-nodders (depending on alcohol level, though) but that doesn't mean I appreciate the music any less than the people flipping out. I easily get high from music anyway.

Nopren

I'm still a mosh pit bum at the age of 26. I still get high on the adrenaline of being in a mosh pit, though I have grown to understand why some prefer to stand in the back and chill out. And holy shit Blind Guardian is awesome! The only power metal I listened to before you guys clued me on to BG, was Turisas.

Greg

Moshing should take place in the back. I don't pay money to stare at the backs of people swinging their arms and jumping around - I go to appreciate the music.

And it always seemed like a number of those people were just doing it for the attention instead of it being an actual release of sorts... I just never understood it.

Flynn

I don't mind getting jostled around a little, but it certainly help if the moshing happens spontaneously and feels right VS one aggro dude that is just shoving everybody in the back all night.

Have to say that one thing I do enjoy about mosh pits at my age is standing guard at the rear of one and pushing stray flailers back into the action. Good aggression vent without too much exercise.

fallout

Have to say that one thing I do enjoy about mosh pits at my age is standing guard at the rear of one and pushing stray flailers back into the action. Good aggression vent without too much exercise.
That's basically "my spot" at a show. Just outside the pit, where I can get decent sound, a good view of the band ... and the opportunity to toss a couple kids back in the fray.

Nopren

That's fine but for the love of god, don't push people in the back. And no hands. Shoulders, and if absolutely necessary, elbows.

New Tribulation album coming in Februaury. Their debut The Horror was great trashy death metal.

It seems like the new album is going to be a bit different.
The new Necrovation album turned out great so I'm hopefull that this will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom