• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zozobra

SORRY FOR THE SUPER LONG POST!

One week for Roadburn! ARGH. Would you guys mind to check the line up and recommend me some bands that I should not miss?

I'm bolding the ones I already know I don't wanna miss although I know some of those clash with each other already, SUCKS :(

You've got good taste, man.

Few I'd recommend are Ruins of Beverast, Sigh and Ihsahn.

Ravager61

Another vote for Ruins of Beverast. Amazing black metal band.

I like Alcest a lot too but they're not for everyone.

edit: Didn't see Nihill on there initially. Definitely go see them too. Really awesome and very raw black metal

Kaladin

Warbeast have one of the best tour vans ever.....

3595_8.jpg

http://centraltrack.com/Music/3595/The-Bandwagon/Warbeasts-Church-Van-Hides-The-Bands-Sins

Corbitt: ...We were going to Arizona and passing through El Paso, and there's this little border check there. We thought it was right at the border, but we didn't see it, so we were just like, 'Well, I guess it ain't here any more!' So we drove on through, and we're ten minutes past it now, so we go ahead and spark one up thinking we're in the clear. Then, the next thing you know, here it is, the check. So we're all freaking out, and the guy driving just answered all of the questions wrong.

Gonzalez: "Like they asked him how many of us were in the van, and he had to turn around and count us And he still got it wrong!"

Bobby Tillotson (guitar): "I had to answer all the questions for him! I was just like, 'There's six of us.' 'And are you all American citizens?' 'Yes, sir.'"

Corbitt: "So then the guy looks down, sees the First Baptist thing and asks, 'Are you guys in a church group?' We're like, 'Uh, yes sir, we absolutely are.' And he was just like 'OK, on your way!'"

Dom Brunt

One week for Roadburn! ARGH. Would you guys mind to check the line up and recommend me some bands that I should not miss?

I'm bolding the ones I already know I don't wanna miss although I know some of those clash with each other already, SUCKS :(

Wait, Tombstoned is playing there? Hah. I've just been listening to them for the past few days trying to decide whether I can learn to like the singer's voice but I still don't know. I saw them live opening for Pelican and they were pretty good, didn't really hear the singer's voice then though. Finnish doom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DsJptpBqZk

Flynn

Just got really good seats to that nutty Maiden show in San Bernardino. Kinda psyched to see them again so soon. The rest of the bill is just butter.

pablito

satan's satyrs
die kruezen
ruins of beverast

other ones i like already bolded

friday

High on Fire (playing The Art of Self Defense in its entirety)

Holy hell this is gonna rule. They played 10,000 years when I saw them last fall, shit was amazing. That bass rift gets me so pumped.

Some stuff I have been enjoying recently:

Helloween - Walls of Jericho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mw33DCFQHM

Bathory - Nordland I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B1YDPE20Ss

Into Another - Ignaurus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9-5vZPfUXM

And yeah the new Nails album too. The last track is so sick. They are playing in NYC on May 3rd, I should hit that shit up.

Oh my fucking god bolt thrower why did I not listen to you sooner oh goodness so nice. Listening to the album "Those once loyal."

That maiden ticket hurts to look at. The one time I've seen Maiden, it was there. If only it was slightly sooner, I could get away with flying to california. Fucking Boston. West Coast Best Coast.

Holy hell this is gonna rule. They played 10,000 years when I saw them last fall, shit was amazing. That bass rift gets me so pumped.
So jealous!! Stuff like that only happens once in a lifetime. :D To think they play 2 fucking times on the same festival, uaaaargh! But I saw them in february, too, so at least I've had my share!

Nopren

Might as well show off the festival I'm going to this weekeend:
rmf13_web2v2uuc.jpg

So far I want to catch: Cattle Decapitation, Hatesphere, Dawn of Demise, Vader, Eyeconoclast and Satyricon. But probably also gonna hang out at the other concerts. Depends on how drunk I'll get.

Aske

Awesome, thanks for sharing. It's a shame I'm on a vacation when they play live for their cd presentation. But when I come back I will finally see Agalloch and hopefully my copy will have arrived!

I'll be waiting on Amazon Canada, so I'll have a similar delay. Can't wait to hear the final version of Aslimu...

Shockwave did it!

collecticon-shockwave-hardcore-band.jpg

Transformers + Hardcore = WIN

Quoting this image because it's fantastic. Transformers are great with anything - I feel like some power metal band must have written a concept album about them by now.

Have to say, I'm impressed with whoever does the Peter Cullen impression for The Monolith Deathcult. Sounds bang-on for a young Prime.

a forest of stars are pretty nice too, you might like this one

Kaladin

After spending some time with it, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the new Warbeast. I would still recommend seeing this band live, but fuck Phillip Anselmo killed their sound in production.

Listen to Nightmares in the Sky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atR-tiHvTQ0

The vocals sounds like they're coming from a whale and the mix is generally muddy. I might be wrong, but I don't think Anselmo produced their first album which had a better mix than this does. I hate when even just decent albums like this turned out to be are ruined in the mix.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
After spending some time with it, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the new Warbeast. I would still recommend seeing this band live, but fuck Phillip Anselmo killed their sound in production.

Listen to Nightmares in the Sky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atR-tiHvTQ0

The vocals sounds like they're coming from a whale and the mix is generally muddy. I might be wrong, but I don't think Anselmo produced their first album which had a better mix than this does. I hate when even just decent albums like this turned out to be are ruined in the mix.

I kinda reached the same conclusion but didnt wanna say anything.

Kaladin

I kinda reached the same conclusion but didnt wanna say anything.

I actually got a friend's copy after listening to my CD to make sure I dind't get a bad copy.....it was that bad of a mix.

It reminds me of when I first listened to St. Anger and thought "this can't be the final album".

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I actually got a friend's copy after listening to my CD to make sure I dind't get a bad copy.....it was that bad of a mix.

It reminds me of when I first listened to St. Anger and thought "this can't be the final album".

I noticed it when the first couple songs were posted online. I just assumed they werent the final mixes..but hoo boy. Phil needs to rein in this low production quality rampage he's on. Down's last ep definitely could have used a little more studio magic imo.

Kaladin

I noticed it when the first couple songs were posted online. I just assumed they werent the final mixes..but hoo boy. Phil needs to rein in this low production quality rampage he's on. Down's last ep definitely could have used a little more studio magic imo.

As much as they want indie cred and all, some musicians just don't need to be producers of their own and other band's albums.

because they're all pretty much the same album right? :p

...which is a GOOD thing :)

DM isn't my favorite genre, but my favorite bands are Entombed, Death, Bolt Thrower, and Dismember, and Carcass.

I think we are the same person. Entombed/Dismember/Carcass + Autopsy being my favorite death metal bands, I love the band Vio-Lence, and Commando was the first movie I ever saw in theaters.

By the way, I'm almost convinced Bolt Thrower is my favourite death metal band. Which is yours, guys?

Of all time, as I said above, Entombed/Dismember/Carcass/Autopsy. I love almost all of their albums equally. Currently....I would have to pick the controversial band Arghoslent....those fucking riffs man.

Ravager61

If I had to pick top 3 DM bands:

Morbid Angel, Obituary, Autopsy

Early Florida death metal is the best death metal.

Wlid card would be Lykathea Aflame. They only have 1 album but god damn is it awesome.

yeah too many great stuff, sounds stressful just reading the line-up haha.
awww I just saw antisect. they're cool too<3

Yeah, I didn't bold antisect and die kreuzen because although I like them (specially die kreuzen) I am not confident they will be good... hope I'm wrong. So, I will pass by and see how it goes.

You should come! Next year at least, ok? :p

pablito

If I had to pick top 3 DM bands:

Morbid Angel, Obituary, Autopsy

Early Florida death metal is the best death metal.

Wlid card would be Lykathea Aflame. They only have 1 album but god damn is it awesome.

if one album bands count then demilich all day erryday

What songs did they play?
From the top of my head

Intro "1985"
Buried Dreams
Incarnated Solvent Abuse
Carnal Forge
Carneous Cacoffiny
Lavaging Expectorate of Lysergide Composition
Embodiment
Death Certificate
No Love Lost
Inpropagation intro/Symposium of Sickness intro-to-mid song/Pedigree Butchery
Keep on Rotting in the Free World
Edge of Darkness
Genital Grinder
Hepatic Tissue Fermentation II or Pyosified (Still Rotten to the Gore) (not sure)
Reek of Putrefaction
Exhume to Consume
Corporal Jigsore Quandary/Forensic Clinicism/The Sanguine Article mid-to-end/Ruptured in Purulence intro
Heartwork
End "1985"

It's out of order and I think there's more.

From the top of my head

Intro "1985"
Buried Dreams
Incarnated Solvent Abuse
Carnal Forge
Carneous Cacoffiny
Lavaging Expectorate of Lysergide Composition
Embodiment
Death Certificate
No Love Lost
Inpropagation intro/Symposium of Sickness intro-to-mid song/Pedigree Butchery
Keep on Rotting in the Free World
Edge of Darkness
Genital Grinder
Hepatic Tissue Fermentation II or Pyosified (Still Rotten to the Gore) (not sure)
Reek of Putrefaction
Exhume to Consume
Corporal Jigsore Quandary/Forensic Clinicism/The Sanguine Article mid-to-end/Ruptured in Purulence intro
Heartwork
End "1985"

It's out of order and I think there's more.

Awesome set. I love that Edge of Darkness song, but can see that as a mood killer. Also fucking hate No Love Lost, i wish they stopped playing that one live.

Did they not play any of the new material?

Awesome set. I love that Edge of Darkness song, but can see that as a mood killer. Also fucking hate No Love Lost, i wish they stopped playing that one live.

Did they not play any of the new material?
Nope. Also if you check the videos tomorrow on youtube you will probably see some stuff that's embarrassing. End of Pedigree Bill's guitar unplugged, same for Corporal solo and others. Jeff even made a joke if I recall about Bill being back to Firebird playing blues at those moments, since the guitar was without distortion lol.

On the subject of death metal, while I like the genre, there are little death metal bands i'd call my favourites. Exceptions are Carcass and The Monolith Deathcult. I also quite like Atheist, !T.O.O.h.! and Lykathea.
But then again I havent really listened to the early bands. Bolt Thrower and Obituary didnt really excite me.

On the subject of death metal, while I like the genre, there are little death metal bands i'd call my favourites. Exceptions are Carcass and The Monolith Deathcult. I also quite like Atheist, !T.O.O.h.! and Lykathea.
But then again I havent really listened to the early bands. Bolt Thrower and Obituary didnt really excite me.

I personally think everyone should listen to Immolation. They are by far my favorite death metal band and they just feel criminally underrated despite having a decent following for 20+ years.

I also really like Gorguts, Entombed, Malevolent Creation, and Autopsy. I'm not as big into a lot of older DM bands as I wish I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom