• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
catching up with new PM, another awesome 2013 release:

lancer-lancer-20121127175038.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMd6v9JybJY

if you love Gamma Ray and Helloween you'll love this.

I might buy this just for the artwork.

OK, so the first day of Roadburn is over and has been fucking amazing. Here's a short review of what I saw.

Black Bombain: pretty good stoner metal band from Portugal that I did not know. Completely unoriginal but still nice to see.

Pallbearer: I was really looking forward to this but I thought they were kind of boring. They play again on Sunday because diagonal cancelled their show so I will see if it was just a case of not being in the mood.

Penance: I like the band but they did not seen very motivated for some reason, maybe because not that many people went to see them. Good show still.

Royal Thunder:
holy fuck, they exceeded my best expectations, they sound amazing live.

Pilgrim:
THIS is good sludge doom metal. I did not know this band and I am so glad I left Royal thunder a bit early to see them. Can't wait to hear their records .

Gravetemple: I was not really in the mood for such a noisy act and only stayed for fifteen minutes. I prefer sunno.

Lantlos: Missed half of the show but I really enjoyed it, I like their mix of styles and it sounds great live.

High on Fire playing the art of self defense: OH MY FUCKING GOD. Best metal band ever, so fucking heavy.

Castle: another band i discovered today. I like their style, very heavy, but the vocalist seemed to have problems with her voice.

Maseratti: amazing show. Also, the new drummer is a freaking beast.

Primordial: horrible sound, flat as a board and super annoying singer. I was expecting much more for what was supposed to be the big act of the day but whatever.

Intronaut: Well, I am a fan now. I was already getting into their records as of late but they are even better live. The drummer is crazy good and with a very original play style. The bassist also caught my attention, very groovy.

Mournful congregation: Another amazing band I discovered today. Some of the most crushing funeral doom metal I have ever heard. The vocals are unreal.

The psychedelic warlords playing Hawkwind's Space Ritual: Ah, I enjoyed this soooooo much. I looooove hawkwind and space ritual specially. The band, from which only the bassist is an original member afaik, did an amazing job covering the album and it was a super fun end to the first day of Roadburn.

I love this festival.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
https://soundcloud.com/austriandeathmachine/unmixed-demo-clips-from-triple

Track listing and guest lineup for the new Austrian Death Machine record.

'TRIPLE BRUTAL' Track Listing:
I'll Be Back
- Co-written by John Boecklin (DevilDriver)
- Guitar solo by Wes Hauch (The Faceless)

Chill Out Dickwad
- Guitar solo by Mark MacDonald

I Hope That You Leave Enough Room For My Fist
- Co-written by Jordan Mancino and Josh Gilbert (As I Lay Dying)
- Guitar solo by Chris Storey (ex All Shall Perish)

One More Rep
- Co-written by JP Gericke (Death By Stereo / Common War)
- Guest vocals by Jamey Jasta (Hatebreed / Kingdom of Sorrow)
- Guitar solo by Dan Palmer (Death By Stereo)

Crom, Grant Me One Request
- Guitar solo by Doc Coyle (God Forbid)

Pumping and Humping
- Co-written by Lorenzo “The Main Event” Antonucci (ex Sworn Enemy)
- Guest vocals by Lorenzo “The Main Event” Antonucci
- Guitar solo by Sean Swafford (Aenimus)

I Eat Green Berets For Breakfast
- Co-written by JP Gericke (Death By Stereo / Common War)

Prepare To Be Conquered
- Co-written by Dave Nassie (Bleeding Through / ex-No Use for Name)
- Guest vocals by Ash Avildsen (Sumerian Records)

You Lack Discipline (There Is No Bathroom)
- Co-written by Josh Gilbert (As I Lay Dying)

I Lied
- Co-written by Alexander Dietz (Heaven Shall Burn)

I Know Now Why Your Cry
- Co-written by Ryan Glisan (Pyrithion / Allegaeon)
- Guest vocals by Jon Cooke (Winds of Plague)

Consider Dat A Divorce
- Guitar solo by Rusty Cooley
- Guest vocals by Scott Lewis (Carnifex)

It's Turbo Time
- Guitar solo by Mark MacDonald

I'm Not A Pervert
- Guitar solo by Jason Suecof

Drums on all songs except "I Lied" by Brandon Trahan (Impending Doom)
Drums on "I Lied" by Christian Bass

and probably Blind Guardian.
*Raises hand*

Blind Guardian is my favorite, but Bolt Thrower is in my top five. I love that my metal taste has diversified into almost all of the different subgenres. When I started out, it was basically all power metal all the time for me.

While High on Fire is probably in my top ten, I've never listened to a Sleep album before. Now that I'm typing this out... what the hell is wrong with me? Time to finally see what all of the fuss is about for Dopesmoker

Kaladin

*Raises hand*

Blind Guardian is my favorite, but Bolt Thrower is in my top five. I love that my metal taste has diversified into almost all of the different subgenres. When I started out, it was basically all power metal all the time for me.

While High on Fire is probably in my top ten, I've never listened to a Sleep album before. Now that I'm typing this out... what the hell is wrong with me? Time to finally see what all of the fuss is about for Dopesmoker

Go for Holy Mountain before Dopesmoker. DS isn't for everyone, and you kinda have to prepare yourself for an hour long song.

Yes, prepare.. prepare with lots of weed.

...with bong in hand...

and go with Holy Mountain first. It's a bit more accessible and more traditional in the sense if you're already familiar with High On Fire. Dopesmoker requires patience...and lots of weed.

Kaladin

Should we do a formal poll for MetalGaf's favorite band?

Take nominations and vote and such....i think it would be fun to find out.

Should we do a formal poll for MetalGaf's favorite band?

Take nominations and vote and such....i think it would be fun to find out.

Manowar, all day every day.

Rest of my top 5:

Blind Guardian
Iron Maiden
Korpiklaani
Sonata Arctica

I'm definitely a Power/Trad/Folk guy, no bones about it. I like pretty much every metal subgenre to some degree, though.

Those Lancer and Gloryhammer songs make me very happy, btw. Good shit. I actually heard Gloryhammer a few weeks back while watching their first official video. It's fucking ridiculous and awesome.

Edit: Forgot to mention I went to Paganfest in Baltimore on Monday. Was awesome. They had 3 local openers which brought the band total up to 8 for the night, so it was a long fucking show. One of the local openers (didn't catch their name) had a singer that looked exactly like fucking Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother, complete in suit. They weren't my bag.

Helsott were good, had a few pretty cool moments. Trollfest were not my thing at all. You have to try really fucking hard to be too cheesy and goofy for me, and by god they did it. Shirtless, greasy, saxophone player ftl. Heidevolk, Tyr, and Ensiferum were all fucking awesome, with Ensiferum being my favorite of the night.

blahness

I swear I'm not a shill for Aosoth Corp., but their new album is up for sale/streaming on bandcamp and it's really excellent:

Aosoth - IV: Arrow in Heart

I feel compelled to spread the joy (despair) of this awesome band.

Nice! I love their last album and cannot wait to see them at MDF.

Speaking of metal festivals in Baltimore, Autumn Screams Doom has an almost complete lineup for this year. Looking great so far

Friday October 25th
Dopethrone (Canada)
Negative Reaction (NY)
Magic Circle (MA)
Serpent Throne Official (PA)
Iron Man Band (MD)
Wizard Eye (PA)
Doors at 7

Saturday October 26th
Loss (TN)
Serpentine Path (NY)
UZALA (ID, OR)
Druglord (VA)
Sunburster (PA)
1 TBA
Doors at 7

Kaladin

Since there is some interest lets do this formally, quote this post and nominate 2 bands for your MetalGaf's Favorite Metal Band.

After a week (or should it be shorter?) of nominations I'll put them together in a poll. We'll keep in in this thread so we don't get too many non MetalGaf votes.

blahness

Since there is some interest lets do this formally, quote this post and nominate 2 bands for your MetalGaf's Favorite Metal Band.

After a week (or should it be shorter?) of nominations I'll put them together in a poll. We'll keep in in this thread so we don't get too many non MetalGaf votes.

Neurosis
Autopsy

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Two?..youre killing us breh. I don't think most of us can go with two bands in a single genera of metal much less the whole shebang. Mayhaps you can revise that with a few more slots/options?

Sentenced
Deathspell Omega

Come at me, brahs.

Kaladin

Two?..youre killing us breh. I don't think most of us can go with two bands in a single genera of metal much less the whole shebang. Mayhaps you can revise that with a few more slots/options?

I'm trying to keep it where one person doesn't nominate all the bands MetalGaf likes.

In the final poll you'll only be able to vote for one.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'm trying to keep it where one person doesn't nominate all the bands MetalGaf likes.

In the final poll you'll only be able to vote for one.

So can we go with any band? Ie even the ones that arent around anymore or are we keeping it to whoever is still around and active?

pablito

electric wizard
bathory

Death.
Cynic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom