• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I realize how dumb of a comment that was now. I guess I was just thinking about how long they've been around and am in awe of the fact that it's been that long.

I still really like Calculating Infinity. Nothing else really ever did anything for me.

You're about 15 years late anyway.

exactly, when calculating infinity came out there was NOTHING even close to what they were doing. Of course they owe their music to many other bands, but to me they were really something else. I don't care about them that much anymore since they replaced the singer, though.

exactly, when calculating infinity came out there was NOTHING even close to what they were doing. Of course they owe their music to many other bands, but to me they were really something else. I don't care about them that much anymore since they replaced the singer, though.

but but but there was Human Remains before Dillinger Escape Plan...from the same area, similar sound, but with a more emphasis on riffs and awesome drumming :p

I remember enjoying Calculating Infinity when it first came out, but it quickly wore off.

but but but there was Human Remains before Dillinger Escape Plan...from the same area, similar sound, but with a more emphasis on riffs and awesome drumming :p

I remember enjoying Calculating Infinity when it first came out, but it quickly wore off.

Ah, forgot completely about that band, Human Remains, although I never felt they were similar to Dillinger.

And, to be fair, and in my opinion, Dillinger were awesome from the very beginning.

First EP
The Mullet Burden

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Under the Running Board is definitely my favorite DEP release — those three songs are just awesome. That and Calculating Infinity seriously blew my mind back in '98/99 or whenever it was. Like bytesized said, it was like nothing else a lot of people had ever heard.

Even if Obscura came out a year earlier and was far more brutal and insane... but I didn't learn that until much later!

We need to run a few more polls. We might be creating a new thread by the end of the year if we keep this pace up.

A competition: Record a cover your favorite metal riff with your voice. Post the results on that vocaroo website.

Inspired by the best ringtone I ever heard: some friends made a drunk "a capella" attempt at YYZ while drunk and recorded it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
A competition: Record a cover your favorite metal riff with your voice. Post the results on that vocaroo website.

Inspired by the best ringtone I ever heard: some friends made a drunk "a capella" attempt at YYZ while drunk and recorded it.

I'll record a SunnO))) riff

it'll just be me screaming randomly into a heavily distorted microphone and looping it for 3 hours

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Im totally losing sleep

tumblr_m300p7KiHK1r33r0fo1_500.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I dont know how to make it more clear. I'm not trying to keep bringing it up, but before, it was very popular to shit on metalcore here. To the point that people said we should create our own thread about it because it wasn't real metal. Which we did, and it was quickly invaded by people who again shitted on it and insisted it wasn't real metal.

Things are different now and thats great so I'm not trying to bitch anymore, but if you're going to continue to act like everything was hunky-dory and I'm just exercising some persecution complex, you're wrong.
Well, I'm trying to figure out what "elitist" means. Someone said it was being dismissive of "simple" bands or songs and preferring "complex" ones. You are saying that being elitist is shitting on metalcore and not considering metal. Is that about right?

I find it impossible to pick a favourite guitarist. Not because I cant choose, its due to the fact that I have no idea what I'd consider as good. I cant dissect the overall sound into the individual parts. I also have no idea about the technical side.

Just to give an example, I only recognise Akerfeld, Chuck and Friedman (he was from Megadeth right?). When everyone was talking about the deceased Slayer guitarist, I had no idea who he was.

Quackula

Just to give an example, I only recognise Akerfeld, Chuck and Friedman (he was from Mwgadeth right?). When everyone was talkingabout the deceased Slayer guitarist, I had no idea who he was.

How on earth are you aware of Marty Friedman but didn't know about Jeff Hanneman? I'd figure the latter was a lot more well known.

I'll just nominate James Murphy for guitarist. His stuff on Cause of Death and Spiritual Healing were awesome.

I'll just nominate James Murphy for guitarist. His stuff on Cause of Death and Spiritual Healing were awesome.

I love James Murphy's fluid style. Very melodic, memorable, and definately lent a contrast to all the death metal bands he was in. Cause of Death was his best stuff IMO. Paul Masvidal is way up there in terms of being the legato king, even more fluid than Murphy.

In terms of solos/leads I love Friedman and Skolnick the best. But Murphy, Friedman, and Skolnick are average riff writers :\

Overall balance between making awesome riffs, solos, and song writing would be:
- Dave Murray/Adrian Smith (Maiden)
- Andy LaRoque/Pet Blakk (King Diamond)
- Bill Steer (Napalm Death/Carcass)
- Tommy Vetterli (Coroner)

Then of course without the riff god Iommi, there wouldn't be any of this.

I can't fucking single out and choose one guitarist. Too many factors.

Matt Pike (Sleep, High on Fire)! His whole attitude is so fucking primal!
MP_RB13.jpg

Look at how fat his Les Paul is! Just as his sound in general.

Kaladin

All time: Dimebag Darrell (Pantera, Damage Plan, Rebel Meets Rebel)

Crazy, heavy riffs and amazing solos with a tone that is easily recognizable to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjHPNPcgn64

Current: Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)

I have to go with him for his versatility and awesome sound going from heavy to acoustic music.

Honorable Mention: Matt Pike (Sleep, High On Fire)

IMO, the king of modern sludge and doom metal. If it weren't for Åkerfeldt's versatility I would probably go with him.

jay

Hey guys, I just got into Vulture Industries and really like both of their albums. Who wants to talk about Vulture Industries? Guys?

Vio-Lence

Banned
I love James Murphy's fluid style. Very melodic, memorable, and definately lent a contrast to all the death metal bands he was in. Cause of Death was his best stuff IMO. Paul Masvidal is way up there in terms of being the legato king, even more fluid than Murphy.

In terms of solos/leads I love Friedman and Skolnick the best. But Murphy, Friedman, and Skolnick are average riff writers :\

Overall balance between making awesome riffs, solos, and song writing would be:
- Dave Murray/Adrian Smith (Maiden)
- Andy LaRoque/Pet Blakk (King Diamond)
- Bill Steer (Napalm Death/Carcass)
- Tommy Vetterli (Coroner)

Then of course without the riff god Iommi, there wouldn't be any of this.

I can't fucking single out and choose one guitarist. Too many factors.

I would take Marty over Alex just for the back half of Tornado of Souls from around the 2:50 mark to the finish. Rust in Peace has so many awesome moments, but I think that's my favorite.

I think Tipton and Downing are underrated. Tipton's solo for Beyond The Realms of Death is one of my all time favorites, so much feeling. Fast forward to 3:10-4:26 and enjoy. And well there is that Painkiller album.

No credible list can exclude Murray/Smith. They both have such different styles that they really compliment each other really well. My favorite Murray/Smith solo collab is Powerslave. I also think Powerslave features Martin Birch's finest production. From the 3:00 minute mark to 5:00 mark.

Seanspeed

Banned
GAF's favorite metal guitarist
Dimebag, no contest.

Well, I'm trying to figure out what "elitist" means. Someone said it was being dismissive of "simple" bands or songs and preferring "complex" ones. You are saying that being elitist is shitting on metalcore and not considering metal. Is that about right?
You know what 'elitist' means. Dont feign ignorance. Its not a concept that only exists in metal music. And the metalcore thing is just a noticeable example of it.

jmdajr

Favorite Metal guitarist?

Hmmmm. Hard to say. Does it have to be a "virtuoso?" Alexi Laiho is pretty good.

If it's just rhythm mostly I've always liked Jon Schaffer's work.
For cool ass melodies... Peter Tägtgren

That guy Dave Mustaine..he's not bad.

Dimebag? sure!

I don't play any instruments so I can only go by what sounds cool.. to me.

RDreamer

Favorite guitarists are probably:

Devin Townsend (Self, Strapping Young Lad), Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth), Jesper Strömblad (In Flames), John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Peter Wichers (Soilwork), Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom), and possibly Esa Holopainen (Amorphis).

Devin would probably win over all, though Mike would be an insanely close second. I'd have a really hard time choosing, though.

Not at all. This isn't 'most objectively skilled guitarist', just your favorite, for whatever reason.

Personally, I put a LOT more emphasis on rhythm playing as its the meat of a metal song.

Hell yeah, as much as I love a good solo/virtuosic leads, that's not where the heaviness or the essence of the sound rests, it's about the riff, the relentless tremolo picking, the galloping triplets, the chord progressions; it's in the rhythm guitar.

pablito

honestly i don't think i ever had a favorite guitarist. too many factors, plus i get over bands a lot. might like a band a lot for a year, then just stop caring.

if i had to pick i guess i'd just go with iommi or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom