• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, seeing that nu-metal thread, do you guys think a stonerrock/doom/psych thread should or could be opened? I know, some of it is popular in the metal thread but with some stuff the definition of rock or metal is kinda diffficult and there's a whole stoner scene out there, including labels, festivals and shit. (I would have loved to go to Roadburn this year!!) I don't know ;D I want a place for my Motorpsychos and Witch Mountains. Also the gigposters for bands like this tend to be awesome.

Melchiah

EWIGKEIT - 'Det Som Engang Var' (Burzum in Reggae Dub style)
http://youtu.be/vJj5S_3jOJ4

Sometimes we enjoy the work of an artist with whom we wholeheartedly disagree with. For me, being a fan of the early work of Burzum has always caused an internal conflict, due to the outspoken views of the composer, Varg Vikernes.

I decided to find a way to reconcile my love of the album 'Hyvis Lyset Tar Oss', whilst simultaneously exorcising my demons, and making myself feel a whole lot better in the process.

Although a million miles from the new EWIGKEIT material I have been working on, I had always thought the track 'Det Som Engang Var' would make a fine reggae dub track, and this is what it sounds like." (J. Fogarty / Ewigkeit)

EWIGKEIT's version of 'Det Som Engang Var' will appear as a bonus track on the forthcoming album 'Back to Beyond', later in 2013.

Melchiah

Vzu91iWl.jpg

EDIT: I meant to post that on the funny pics thread. Oh well, I guess it fits here as well.

Willectro

Banned
Not so metal but:

The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, May 8, 2013 7:07AM EDT

OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- The singer of Grammy-nominated heavy metal band As I Lay Dying has been arrested in Southern California after authorities say he tried to hire an undercover detective to kill his estranged wife.

The San Diego County Sheriff's Department says 32-year-old Tim Lambesis was arrested Tuesday in Oceanside.

A statement from authorities says detectives received information Thursday that Lambesis had solicited someone to kill his wife. A task force from several law enforcement agencies quickly launched an investigation that led to the arrest.

The department would give no further details on the investigation.

As I Lay Dying formed in San Diego in 2000. Its 2007 album "An Ocean Between Us" reached No. 8 on Billboard's charts, and one track was nominated for a Grammy for top metal performance.

What terrible thing to do.

Have we already had a "best drummer" discussion? Being a drummer myself, I'd be very interested to hear opinions.

No Portnoy votes, please :).

Seriously.

Mikkey Dee (King Diamond)
Pete Sandoval (Terrorizer/early Morbid Angel days)
Sean Reinert (Cynic/Death)
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Bobby Jarzombek (Spastic Ink and other bands)
J. Read (Axis of Advance, Sacrementary Abolishment)

Man, Amok/Love & Death era Sentenced are so fucking good. What a great style they carved out. Came on my DAP randomly the other week and I've been spinning them since. 'Tis a shame, everything that happened to them.

How can you not like this stuff?

Sentenced - Forever Lost

Shadows of The Past and North From Here are good. Rotting Ways To Misery demo is their best.
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Mick Harris!

Paulus Kressman was the drummer for Sacramentary Abolishment, not J.Read. He's a great drummer too, I was just listening to Rites of Thy Degringolade's Totality today actually. Good chaotic death metal.

Greg

Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Sean is so awesome - I was in the middle of listening to Avalanche of Worms as I read your post.

Mario Duplantier (Gojira) is another favorite of mine. His playing never becomes too showy for the sake of it, and he still manages to take over a track. Incredible groove.

Mick Harris!

Paulus Kressman was the drummer for Sacramentary Abolishment, not J.Read. He's a great drummer too, I was just listening to Rites of Thy Degringolade's Totality today actually. Good chaotic death metal.

ah yes, the Human Tornado Mick Harris.

I forgot to mention Chris Reifert of Autopsy/Death. Not the best or creative drummer, but his contributions are undisputed. As is Nicke Andersson of Entombed. Listening to early Nicke Andersson you can tell he was having fun the whole time.

pablito

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXu8M6q6v84

the only black metal I like. am I weird?

nah. black metal might be my favorite, but it was once my most disliked genre. i would definitely give bands a shot here and there. if you can grow into it, there's so much good stuff. but don't force it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGc_NszVq_4

try this

edit: actually yeah i think i remember responding to you about black metal before. it's not weird, but i think it would be easy to be a black metal fan if you're a death metal fan.

RDreamer

Have we already had a "best drummer" discussion? Being a drummer myself, I'd be very interested to hear opinions.

No Portnoy votes, please :).

Seriously.

Portnoy!

But really I'd probably put Portnoy on a list of favorites, I suppose.

I'd also add Martin Lopez (Opeth), Martin Axenrot (current Opeth), Dirk Verbeuren (Soilwork & some Devin Townsend Project, etc.), Ryan Van Poederooyen (Devin Townsend Project), and Henry Ranta (Soilwork) to that list.

I don't tend to pick up drums real well or focus on them, especially in metal. A lot of my favorite drummers are in the progressive rock circle, like Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree), Marco Minnemann (solo and Steven Wilson) and Mark Heron (Oceansize).

Greg

Portnoy!

But really I'd probably put Portnoy on a list of favorites, I suppose.

I'd also add Martin Lopez (Opeth), Martin Axenrot (current Opeth), Dirk Verbeuren (Soilwork & some Devin Townsend Project, etc.), Ryan Van Poederooyen (Devin Townsend Project), and Henry Ranta (Soilwork) to that list.

I don't tend to pick up drums real well or focus on them, especially in metal. A lot of my favorite drummers are in the progressive rock circle, like Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree), Marco Minnemann (solo and Steven Wilson) and Mark Heron (Oceansize).
I'm the same way. Poorly produced drums will always stick out, but other than that they're usually noticed/appreciated long after all of the other elements have sunk in.

Favorite drummers would have to include:

Blake Richardson (Between the Buried and Me)
Martin Lopez (ex-Opeth)
Neil Peart (Rush...not metal but countin' it)
Sean Reinert (Death, Cynic)
Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
Aesop Dekker (Agalloch, Vhol, Ludicra, Worm Ouroboros)

Progressive metal bias to the max, oh well don't care :)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
New August Burns Red album coming out June 25th

2d953023fbd7e94c7b0b4e9d1d47d66c.jpg

01 – “Provision”
02 – “Treatment”
03 – “Spirit Breaker”
04 – “Count It All As Lost”
05 – “Sincerity”
06 – “Creative Captivity”
07 – “Fault Line”
08 – “Beauty In Tragedy”
09 – “Animals”
10 – “Echoes”
11 – “The First Step”

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just realized, all this talk of awesome drummers and no mention of Proscriptor? I feel shame now. Especially after seeing Absu live recently. The man is a monster. <3

Kaladin

I'm out of the drummer discussion. Not a fan of any in particular and IMO, the most replaceable member (sorry drummers). Yes, I am a Metallica fan.

I'm out of the drummer discussion. Not a fan of any in particular and IMO, the most replaceable member (sorry drummers). Yes, I am a Metallica fan.
I don't really think so, I think bass players are top on that. In metal for me whatever the bass. It's all about the drums and the guitar riffs brah.

Kaladin

I don't really think so, I think bass players are top on that. In metal for me whatever the bass. It's all about the drums and the guitar riffs brah.

Cliff Burton and the bass player for Intronaut say hi. I will agree that bass can be a throwaway instrument also, but a great bass player can stand out more than a great drummer IMO.

I should also note that I like music such as bluegrass and country which is often done without drums.

Flynn

Cliff Burton and the bass player for Intronaut say hi. I will agree that bass can be a throwaway instrument also, but a great bass player can stand out more than a great drummer IMO.

I should also note that I like music such as bluegrass and country which is often done without drums.

Lemmy.

For me is the complete opposite, I think metal music is synonymous of good drumming, just as important as guitars imo. I used to play drums though and that's the instrument I pay most attention to, though.

The most impressive drummers for me:

Ben Koller (converge) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elbfRSUrr8k

Gabe Serbian (the locust) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y74VmUBtmNs

Zach Hill (hella) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI

and of course Tomas Haake (meshuggah) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap7Z5S6yTZM

Recently I was super impressed with Intronaut's drummer.

Greg

a great _______ can stand out more than a great _______

it all depends on the mix, really

Lime

Been chronologically playing through Neurosis' entire discography again. It's amazing to travel through their history and listen to how their sound constantly renews itself in each album - it makes the music feel incredibly personal, as if one is witnessing the development of the members and the band as a whole.

There really isn't anything like them and I'm glad that I'm seeing them in June for the third time, albeit this time without the visuals (unfortunately). I really hope their legacy never becomes forgotten and underappreciated by later generations, as Neurosis are perhaps the most remarkable metal bands in terms of experimentation, historical significance and their evolution of signature sound in the later period. In my opinion, of all the different metal bands I've listened to, Neurosis is simply unsurpassed, considering the strength and evolution of their portfolio. So many classics.

Yeah, neurosis are definitely the best. It was my undisputed favourite band from Enemy of the sun until Times of Grace. I still love what they do and would love to see them again live. I only saw them once, on their Times of Grace tour.

Lime

@bytesized Man, I wish I had a chance to see Neurosis in the 90's. Looking at the videos (despite the low quality), there's just so much intensity and energy*.

The Web

Through Silver in Blood

Purify

Eye

And of course the infamous Locust Star video

*not that contemporary live performance Neurosis is disappointing - far from it, as it's just a different style. Now they are more oppressive and sludgey, whereas during the 90's they looked to be more assaulting

rObit

Banned
So apparently a new Tesseract track dropped almost two weeks ago?

Tesseract - Singularity

Century Media posted it on their SoundCloud page and seemingly nowhere else. I find it odd that they didn't at least throw it on Youtube.

Anyway, it sounds pretty solid. I'd like to hear that tone without SoundCloud's crazy compression, though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Old band I was in. Haven't listened to it in years so I broke it out today, and I still really enjoy it.

Kinda similar to Brodequin or kinda gore grindy.

Love to hear some. We should all post bands we post bands we were/are in.

I've never had the chance to be in a band...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom