• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dimebag, no contest.
lawl

You know what 'elitist' means. Dont feign ignorance. Its not a concept that only exists in metal music. And the metalcore thing is just a noticeable example of it.
Sigh. Evasion noted again. And please stop assuming bad faith from my part. I've seen the word elitist thrown around in all manners of context, which is why I think it has lost all meaning. In the end it's invariably about people bitching that someone else hates their crap and/or doesn't consider it metal, regardless of what this "crap" is.

Anyone going to the Decibel tour? I've been wanting to see Napalm Death for the longest time and I've been waiting to see Immolation again for two and a half years.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Okay so since it was my question, I better answer it too, no?

...I can't pick either so here are my favs.

Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
JB Brubaker (August Burns Red)
Piotrek Gruszka (Gru)
Justin Broadrick (Jesu, Godflesh, Final, Pale Sketcher)
Aaron Turner (ISIS, House of Low Culture, Greymachine)
Tosin Abasi (Animals as Leaders)

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, this will prove useful for the next part

Sigh. Evasion noted again. And please stop assuming bad faith from my part. I've seen the word elitist thrown around in all manners of context, which is why I think it has lost all meaning. In the end it's invariably about people bitching that someone else hates their crap and/or doesn't consider it metal, regardless of what this "crap" is.
Since you're going to continue to feign ignorance, 'elitism' is when people look down on things they dont like and those who enjoy these things they dont like. Its one thing to say, "Thats not for me, sorry" and another to act condescending about it. For example, when asked what my favorite guitarist is, I get laughed at for my answer, as if my answer is a joke or wrong or something. Thats elitism. So its no wonder you're arguing so hard about this because you're taking it as a personal attack knowing you are one of these elitists I'm talking about. I was trying to avoid any personal conflict here, but you've really kind pushed me into calling you out and you've made it easy in the process.

ANYWAYS, very glad to see Brubaker getting some recognition in here. The guy is a riffing mastermind.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
New Vinyl Day! (always the best days, no doubt, this time all imports, cross-posting from vinyl thread)

w52O5OQ.jpg
Orchid - In the Mouths of Madness

Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend

Uncle Acid - Mind Control

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't know anything about this band other than the fact that I have always and will always get them confused with A Life Once Lost for some reason:

SAN DIEGO – The lead singer of a heavy metal band “As I Lay Dying” was arrested after he allegedly hired someone to kill his estranged wife, authorities said.

Tim Lambesis, lead singer and co-founder of the heavy-metal group As I Lay Dying, was arrested at a store on Vista Way in Oceanside about 2 p.m., after allegedly soliciting an undercover detective to kill his spouse, an Encinitas resident, according to sheriff’s officials.

Authorities began investigating Lambesis, 32, in the case on Thursday, when they received information that he allegedly was trying to get someone to commit the slaying.

He was booked into the Vista Jail on suspicion of solicitation of murder.

As I Lay Dying, which was nominated for a Grammy Award in 2008, has released six studio albums, according to the band’s website, which says the group is scheduled to embark on a U.S. tour this month.

The band recently performed at SOMA concert venue on March 1.
http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/05/07/...hit-man-to-kill-estranged-wife/#axzz2Sf1wOQmM

rObit

Banned

1LEFbQy.gif

And wow, what on earth @ Tim Lambesis. That dude has always seemed pretty solid, has been working hard on a new Austrian Death Machine album, and started a new band recently. Obviously I don't know nearly enough about the case they have against him, but I'm having a hard time believing this.

RDreamer

But Devin's leads are so rare...

Leads, yeah, but he has some sick solos. Deep Peace alone skyrockets him near the top of any guitarist list in my opinion.

Really, I like Dev and Akerfeldt for their variety. Dev especially has an insane variety. He can make a catchy as hell riff, a sweet solo, a nice lead, great rhythm, etc. And it's always great songwriting.

http://i.imgur.com/1LEFbQy.gif[IMG]

And wow, what on earth @ Tim Lambesis. That dude has always seemed pretty solid, has been working hard on a new Austrian Death Machine album, and started a new band recently. Obviously I don't know nearly enough about the case they have against him, but I'm having a hard time believing this.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he used the money he got through crowdfunding to order a hit on his wife, lol.

Mileena

Banned
Mustaine is my favorite. Sure he's not the best or fastest or most technical but he has (had? probably.) consistency with great riffs/solos.

The Austrian Death Machine dude!? WTF!!

I thought he was all about Jesus....

fuck, i love ADM

Holy shit, I forgot about ADM haha, probably the best gimmick for a band ever.

But yeah, wow, what shitty surprise, I'm just glad they got him before an assassin got his wife.

Man, Amok/Love & Death era Sentenced are so fucking good. What a great style they carved out. Came on my DAP randomly the other week and I've been spinning them since. 'Tis a shame, everything that happened to them.

How can you not like this stuff?

Sentenced - Forever Lost

RDreamer

Man, Amok/Love & Death era Sentenced are so fucking good. What a great style they carved out. Came on my DAP randomly the other week and I've been spinning them since. 'Tis a shame, everything that happened to them.

Sentenced - Forever Lost

Oh man it's been a long time since I even thought about this band. I used to freaking love The Cold White Light. I delved into their older stuff at one point back then, too and I remember liking it. The song you posted is pretty good, though I'm not too keen on the vocals.

That was also back when I realized that I seem to have a thing for bands that start out one way and then change sounds drastically. Usually they hit this nice sweet spot that I fall for in the transition.

Edit: Aww man the lead guitarist died :(

Oh man it's been a long time since I even thought about this band. I used to freaking love The Cold White Light. I delved into their older stuff at one point back then, too and I remember liking it. The song you posted is pretty good, though I'm not too keen on the vocals.

Interesting you say that, because I'm pretty sure the general consensus amongst fans seems to be that Taneli Jarva, the vocalist in question here, is unequivocally the favourite. Personally, I would agree, but each to their own!

I also think their music suffered greatly beyond Amok; they're the classic case of an 'I honestly only like one album' band for me. They just became a lot more generic and doom-y. All but gone are those amazing leads and harmonies.

RDreamer

Interesting you say that, because I'm pretty sure the general consensus amongst fans seems to be that Taneli Jarva, the vocalist in question here, is unequivocally the favourite. Personally, I would agree, but each to their own!

I also think their music suffered greatly beyond Amok; they're the classic case of an 'I honestly only like one album' band for me. They just became a lot more generic and doom-y. All but gone are those amazing leads and harmonies.

To me they're kind of an only like one album band for me, too, but that album is The Cold White Light. Listening to it again, and loving it. I love the solos, and the songs are so over the top fun and catchy.

I could see you thinking they became more generic in a way, but they didn't really get more doom-y. At least this album I tend to associate a great deal less with doom.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Sentenced - Forever Lost
finally a band that's not a sleep clone or another black sabbath/electric wizard worship band...
anyways, love me some sentenced. Havent heard them for a while so might as well spin some songs.

To me they're kind of an only like one album band for me, too, but that album is The Cold White Light. Listening to it again, and loving it. I love the solos, and the songs are so over the top fun and catchy.

I could see you thinking they became more generic in a way, but they didn't really get more doom-y. At least this album I tend to associate a great deal less with doom.

Ha. Yeah, I was actually second-guessing my use of the term 'doom' for a moment there. You're probably right.

I've been listening to Katatonia's latest and they're classified as 'doom', so I guess I was drawing a bit of a weak parallel due to the simpler song structures and abundance of hooks... Which isn't really 'doom'... And Katatonia, whilst being straight-forward, aren't really generic. 'Tis a broad genre, though.

I need to listen to The Cold White Light again, I guess.

RDreamer

Ha. Yeah, I was actually second-guessing my use of the term 'doom' for a moment there. You're probably right.

I've been listening to Katatonia's latest and they're classified as 'doom', so I guess I was drawing a bit of a weak parallel due to the simpler song structures and abundance of hooks... Which isn't really 'doom'... And Katatonia, whilst being straight-forward, aren't really generic. 'Tis a broad genre, though.

I need to listen to The Cold White Light again, I guess.

Katatonia hasn't really been that "doom-y" in a while though. They still obviously have some of that sort of feeling left, but I tend to think of them as a more gothic alt-metal sort of thing.

regarding black metal, these recs are all over the place but I'm just throwing out some names of some of the modern groups that have made an impact:

Mgla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj36Qn5o4N8

Katharsis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsiH3wiE3FQ

The Ruins of Beverast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaY48GauZgg

Ascension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF2GevZ-O3I

Cultes des Ghoules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lM7_y9QHuQ

Negative Plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTUIsZW60A

Weapon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4pGDv7xQ_M

Pseudogod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPOw2wsP-ws

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People who attempt to whitewash their history are so funny. Recently I got a PM who tipped me off that a user on Metal-Archives was trying to delete evidence that he played in certain bands, where this information was of course publicly available (he wasn't using an anonymous alias or identity or anything). This isn't the first time this happened either. The most memorable example was Akhenaten from Judas Iscariot from a few years ago. Apparently his daddy is a politician and it looked bad that his son (who donated to his campaign) played in a satanic metal band, so Akhenaten was emailing Metal-Archives to take down all information about him and Judas Iscariot, and apparently he was doing that to other sites as well, basically pretending he wouldn't exist on the internet.

And of course there's the most infamous example of attempting to erase history... xD So sad.

Since you're going to continue to feign ignorance, 'elitism' is when people look down on things they dont like and those who enjoy these things they dont like. Its one thing to say, "Thats not for me, sorry" and another to act condescending about it. For example, when asked what my favorite guitarist is, I get laughed at for my answer, as if my answer is a joke or wrong or something. Thats elitism. So its no wonder you're arguing so hard about this because you're taking it as a personal attack knowing you are one of these elitists I'm talking about. I was trying to avoid any personal conflict here, but you've really kind pushed me into calling you out and you've made it easy in the process.

I was laughing at the "no contest" bit, actually, but thanks for trying. And no, I don't see this as a personal attack at all (though the accusations that I'm feigning anything kinda are, but I'll let that slide). Because you see, I find nothing wrong with elitism, which I see as intolerance of mediocrity. The reason I asked these questions is because I've pretty much seen all manners of answers (and bitching) over the years, many of them contradictory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXu8M6q6v84

the only black metal I like. am I weird?

Yes and no. I'd say that's the best Burzum song by far so it's not weird to like it. But there's a lot of good BM out there, much better than Burzum too.

Have we already had a "best drummer" discussion? Being a drummer myself, I'd be very interested to hear opinions.

No Portnoy votes, please :).

Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom