• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Relapse is running a t-shirt grab bag.....4 for $20 in my size. The idea of a metal shirt grab bag is both scary and intriguing.
Hmm I guess you don't get to pick the shirts huh? Too bad. Though I could barely find 4 shirts I'd actually want by browsing their selection anyway. Four random ones, ehh.

Well he's not entirely wrong. I'd wager most of the bands we champion creative peaks were between the ages 18 to 26. Metal is a young mans game.
More bollocks.

I'm mainly into melodic metal bands. I love bands like Stryper, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. Can anyone suggest some bands that are big on the guitar harmonies like these bands? I really appreciate any help.

I'm mainly into melodic metal bands. I love bands like Stryper, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. Can anyone suggest some bands that are big on the guitar harmonies like these bands? I really appreciate any help.

Check out the track "no life king" by black pyramid. Youtube runs like shit on my ultra budget phone so I can't hunt a link for you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dumb question but have you tried Dio (and Dio-related projects such as Rainbow or the Dio-era Black Sabbath albums)? What about Saxon, Riot, Raven, Jag Panzer? Sorry if that's too obvious. If it's not too obvious... start there. :) Those bands have daunting discographies, I can list recommended albums if you'd like.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sure! Here are some albums you could start with:
- Saxon is one of the rare bands that have overall improved with age, I think. Lionheart and Killing Ground are fantastic, but for the classic albums you can't go wrong with Denim & Leather (my favourite), Wheels of Steel or Strong Arm of the Law.
- Riot: Thundersteel is one of the finest melodic speed metal album of all time. Can't recommend it enough. For later ones, Sons of Society is probably their best of the 90's, and the latest one they released before the guitarist Mike Reale sadly passed away (RIP), Immortal Soul, is also excellent. One of the best releases of 2011.
- Raven is an old school NWOBHM band. I'll be very honest: I'm only really familiar with their debut, Rock Until You Drop (1981) and only saw them live once, but it's very good melodic NWOBHM/speed metal, if you like Priest and such it should be right up your alley.
- Another awesome NWOBHM who made a good album back in the day, disappeared for about 30 years, and only recently released an album that blew everyone away is Satan (UK). You might recognize that name from a Blind Guardian cover of "Trial by Fire" from their debut, Court in the Act. Their latest album, Life Sentence, is one of the best releases of 2013, and if anyone has the chance to see them live like I did at Wings of Metal last summer, do so. Their performance was absolutely phenomenal. I wasn't sure what to expect from aging rockers who reunited recently, but it's like they never retired. (In truth most of the musicians weren't idle, the singer kept wailing it out in Blitzkrieg [better known for being covered by Metallica... xD] quite nicely and obviously the two main musicians are also in the Best Band Ever that is Skyclad, so that's surely why they were in such great shape.)

Sure! Here are some albums you could start with:
- Saxon is one of the rare bands that have overall improved with age, I think. Lionheart and Killing Ground are fantastic, but for the classic albums you can't go wrong with Denim & Leather (my favourite), Wheels of Steel or Strong Arm of the Law.
- Riot: Thundersteel is one of the finest melodic speed metal album of all time. Can't recommend it enough. For later ones, Sons of Society is probably their best of the 90's, and the latest one they released before the guitarist Mike Reale sadly passed away (RIP), Immortal Soul, is also excellent. One of the best releases of 2011.
- Raven is an old school NWOBHM band. I'll be very honest: I'm only really familiar with their debut, Rock Until You Drop (1981) and only saw them live once, but it's very good melodic NWOBHM/speed metal, if you like Priest and such it should be right up your alley.
- Another awesome NWOBHM who made a good album back in the day, disappeared for about 30 years, and only recently released an album that blew everyone away is Satan (UK). You might recognize that name from a Blind Guardian cover of "Trial by Fire" from their debut, Court in the Act. Their latest album, Life Sentence, is one of the best releases of 2013, and if anyone has the chance to see them live like I did at Wings of Metal last summer, do so. Their performance was absolutely phenomenal. I wasn't sure what to expect from aging rockers who reunited recently, but it's like they never retired. (In truth most of the musicians weren't idle, the singer kept wailing it out in Blitzkrieg [better known for being covered by Metallica... xD] quite nicely and obviously the two main musicians are also in the Best Band Ever that is Skyclad, so that's surely why they were in such great shape.)

I appreciate that VERY much, man. Had some errands to run, but I will surely check all the suggestions out tomorrow (a bit sleepy.) I will get back to you. :)

Mandatory for me to recommend Lost Horizon's two albums, Awakening the World, and A Flame to the Ground Beneath. Perhaps my favourite track - Denial of Fate

Thanks, man. I actually have their first. It was given to me by a friend a while back. I didn't know they had another one, so looks like I will have to track that one down. And of the bands that Morrigan Targaryen suggested, I like saxon the most, by far. Good stuff! :)

Melchiah

GLaR4gK.gif

Unholy black metaaaaalll!!!

Lime

Saw Chelsea Wolfe and Russian Circles yesterday. CW did a nice, moody introduction set while RC played tight and on point - highlight of the show was probably Carpe from their first album.

The venue was pretty bad though as you couldn't see anything because the scene itself was so low.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
That's the first 4 songs combined it seems. Maybe an import problem or wherever you got it from had them together for some reason? Shouldn't bee that way.

Seeing Alcest on two consecutive days in January, at first i only bought a ticket for their 25.01. gig here in Finland, but then i noticed they will playing on another city as well a day after that, so why the hell not?

Any Alcest lovers here?

L8cyV0O.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTM9x-fEMwo

I like Alcest a lot, even though a lot of their material just kinda blends together and sounds pretty much the same. Still, it's a very relaxing, serene kind of sound so I don't mind at all.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
The Monolith Deathcult teasing their new release on their FB profile, looks like late 2014 release date.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Awwww dammit. So I learned that Slayer is coming to Montreal soon. At first I was all, "meh". But then apparently they play a setlist with only classics, nothing past Seasons, and even an Exodus cover, which works well because Gary Holt is filling in for Hanneman (RIP).

...But I'll be out of town that day. Slayer probably will never be as good to watch ever again, and I'll miss it. :(

Haha yeah but I meant bands that play exclusively instrumentals and are light on the vocals. My favorite is Gordian Knot.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, heh. I think you'll find instrumental bands in every genre, so which genre do you think you would have the most Instrumental Metal you would like?

Progressive metal. I don't think instrumental thrash, death, black metal would be that interesting to my ears right now.

Straight up Progressive Metal? Here are some you might enjoy.

Sepia Dreamer-The Sublime
Spastic Ink-Ink Complete
When Day Descends-Transcend
Liquid Tension Experiment-S/T

Those are a few, I love Ink Complete; although you might enjoy the others more than I did.

Straight up Progressive Metal? Here are some you might enjoy.

Sepia Dreamer-The Sublime
Spastic Ink-Ink Complete
When Day Descends-Transcend
Liquid Tension Experiment-S/T

Those are a few, I love Ink Complete; although you might enjoy the others more than I did.

Thanks. Spastic Ink is really good. Haven't heard the others yet though.

And about the Earth mention, drone isn't really what I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom