• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahness

Seeing High on Fire/Kvelertak and Church of Misery next week. This threat of a massive snowstorm better not fuck with my plans.

Watevaman

I liked symphonic metal when I was, like, 20, and probably I was beyond the age limit for the genre.

wtf?

but nope, I haven't liked any female vocalists in metal so far, Leaves' Eyes included. when I went to a BG show they opened for I actually stayed in the lobby because they were on and I just had to avoid it.

speaking of female vocals, italians Ancient Bards deserve at least a spin from power metal fans. sound is very Rhapsody/Luca Turilli-ish, so if you dig that you're bound to enjoy this. also, boobs:

The+Alliance+Of+The+Kings+cover.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvLMyC4a8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLcbUZZGdf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLH3v-WBHw

Soulless+Child+AncientBardsCoverArt.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeszIVnvo6o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9O-_wvif_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYf6RYW_Qi8

Man, I've actually never payed attention to the lyrics in Dopesmoker.

But seriously, I don't smoke and never will. I don't even consume caffeine. Just medical stuff when I need it (which is almost never)

On another note, Dopesmoker by Sleep. Can somebody tell me what the hell the hooded dudes are carrying? What's with the tubes?

They're called "The Lungsmen" so probably something to do with a breathing apparatus/weed/smoke/etc. duh.

Finally got my fucking Carcass Surgical Steel Limited Edition set. It only took 3 months.
DOuViaD.jpg

Z..

This Carcass LP post reminded of something I'd like to share:

About 6 months ago I sold my entire CD collection (~2000 quality Metal CDs all neatly and alphabetically stacked in some cabinets I had in the living room) and have gone full digital.

How does that make you feel? =D

(The reason I ask is because literally all of my Metal-friends called me a fool).

About 6 months ago I sold my entire CD collection (~2000 quality Metal CDs all neatly and alphabetically stacked in some cabinets I had in the living room) and have gone full digital.

(The reason I ask is because literally all of my Metal-friends called me a fool).

you are a fool.

How much $$$ and what kind of stuff were you selling? I'm always looking to buy physical albums.

At least you didn't throw them out, like a friend did with his own record collection.

BUT, it had to do with personal reasons, and those are reasons I won't share here.

i ripped everything i had and sold the physical copies in 2011, i think. over 200 albums, too many little cases in a house too small.

forgot to rip some, though. The Temple's "The Angel, The Demon & The Machine" went missing, one of my favourites of all time :(

Kaladin

Relapse is running a t-shirt grab bag.....4 for $20 in my size. The idea of a metal shirt grab bag is both scary and intriguing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kind of warming up to Animals As Leaders' latest release. I wasn't too hot on it at first, but I don't know...it's really growing on me.

Ravager61

More bands need to put out long sleeve tees. Those things are hard to find. Especially without shit on the arms. My Darkthrone longsleeve is probably my favorite shirt.

Watevaman

The people that say "xxx is for children" have some serious insecurities going on and are trying to project them onto others by justifying their moving away from "xxx."

The only music that is "for kids" is children's music and even that type of tune can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

The people that say "xxx is for children" have some serious insecurities going on and are trying to project them onto others by justifying their moving away from "xxx."

The only music that is "for kids" is children's music and even that type of tune can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

it's ironic how childish this post is.

I've been thinking about buying more digital instead of physical. On one hand, I really like owning something physical (in my case CDs): owning a nice the package and the fact that I can create a digital copy according to my preferences. Finally I own a CD player that still gets quite some use. I especially like the ability to listen to music without having to turn on my PC.

On the other hand, a physical collection takes up space, sometimes the packages are just not worth it (or a hassle). And digital tends to be cheaper and more readily available.
I'm thinking I'm going to buy more digital and try to limit physical copies for a select few. I'll still love hunting for bargain CDs though.

On the topic of band shirts, I think the majority are ugly and even then I consider the decent ones to be no more than a novelty.

Christian music isn't bad as long as it's not cheesy, corny and/or preachy in how it delivers the message.

Good luck finding that. (it's out there)

I'm not a big fan of contemporary Christian Music, but I love Old Gospel. It's just full of energy, passion, and grit. Try finding footage of the lower class singing Gospel. It just feels so real, as opposed to canned Contemporary Christian garbage.

Of course, Classical Music and Religion often makes for sublime music, as well.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well he's not entirely wrong. I'd wager most of the bands we champion creative peaks were between the ages 18 to 26. Metal is a young mans game.

i dont know about all that. most bands i enjoy seem to make their best work in their late twenties - mid thirties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom