• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z..

I feel like a right fucking fool.

I remember checking out Septic Flesh (now Septicflesh) in the early 2000's. Ophidian Wheel wasn't bad, but it failed to inspire... so I've (regrettably) ignored the band, since.

What a fucking ignorant idiot.

The Great Mass and Communion are absolutely incredible. I don't think I've ever been this pleasently (and genuinely) surprised at anything in the Metal world in quite a while. These guys are absolutely insane. This is Death Metal at it's absolute finest! Be'Lakor are no longer my favourite contemporary Death Metal band.

I've been listening to those 2 albums on repeat for the last couple of days. This is just awesome! =O

Can I get an Amen?

choodi

Banned
I feel like a right fucking fool.

I remember checking out Septic Flesh (now Septicflesh) in the early 2000's. Ophidian Wheel wasn't bad, but it failed to inspire... so I've (regrettably) ignored the band, since.

What a fucking ignorant idiot.

The Great Mass and Communion are absolutely incredible. I don't think I've ever been this pleasently (and genuinely) surprised at anything in the Metal world in quite a while. These guys are absolutely insane. This is Death Metal at it's absolute finest! Be'Lakor are no longer my favourite contemporary Death Metal band.

I've been listening to those 2 albums on repeat for the last couple of days. This is just awesome! =O

Can I get an Amen?

Amen. I've been into them from Esoptron.

You have to check out Revolution DNA. It is a bit different to their other stuff, but it's probably my favourite of their albums.

I don't think I have disliked anything they have ever done.

Not sure if it counts here, but if you want some Old School, driving, classic, catchy Heavy Rock, check this out. Nothing all that innovative or anything of that nature, but this song is addictive. If you like it, I guess you could check it out. It's a band from Australia called Buffalo. A friend showed me this obscure band, and I was completely surprised as to how frigging good it is.

VolcanicRocksmall.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxflt2mbpA
Buffalo kick ass. Dave Tice (lead singer) is bringing the band back, and has done a bunch of shows around Australia. Needless to say, they're still awesome to this day. One of my highlights back at the Sydney metal festival earlier this year.

Hellcrow

I need help understanding something.

Why is it that I love metal, like some punk, but absolutely despise any and all metalcore bands? Metalcore is supposed to be a fusion of those two genres, so why do I find it universally terrible?

I genuinely need to figure out how to articulate this. I'm talking to a girl who likes metalcore and she shared some links to songs for me to check out (because "hey! you like metal too oh cool COMMON GROUND", she thought) and GAH. I don't want to sound like an elitist prick when telling her that I find it shitty, but I sincerely can't figure out the word combination to string together that explains why I theoretically like a lot of the elements metalcore is comprised of, but hate literally every song I've heard from the genre.

I dunno. What bands have to listened to? Converge is one of my favorite bands, and may be the best metalcore band.

Kaladin

It's bigger than this single interaction though.

I can't even figure it out in my own head. My own thoughts can't deduce a way to explain to my consciousness why I hate metalcore, beyond just abstract feelings.

I typically don't like metalcore because it's too much noise. I like to be able to make sense out of music. That's how I explain it at least.

Why is it that I love metal, like some punk, but absolutely despise any and all metalcore bands? Metalcore is supposed to be a fusion of those two genres, so why do I find it universally terrible?

I genuinely need to figure out how to articulate this. I'm talking to a girl who likes metalcore and she shared some links to songs for me to check out (because "hey! you like metal too oh cool COMMON GROUND", she thought) and GAH. I don't want to sound like an elitist prick when telling her that I find it shitty, but I sincerely can't figure out the word combination to string together that explains why I theoretically like a lot of the elements metalcore is comprised of, but hate literally every song I've heard from the genre.

I have that problem with a lot of my friends who listen to heavy music. We have nothing in common, lol. DEP, Converge, metalcore... it has nothing to do with anything I like.

Z..

Amen. I've been into them from Esoptron.

You have to check out Revolution DNA. It is a bit different to their other stuff, but it's probably my favourite of their albums.

I don't think I have disliked anything they have ever done.

I'll probably go back to the very beginning, but do it in reverse order... I started with Great Mass and moved onto Communion, so I guess I'll get to Revolution after I'm done with Sumerian Daemons.

For now I'm still fully absorbing Communion, though. This album is just too good.

You know what. I like Slipknot's Volume 3. There i said it. Come at me bros.

Well, it is probably their best album, for whatever it's worth. Some tracks have occasional memorable moments of percussive chemistry between Joey and the percussionist. They used to be my favourite band when I was like 13. I've learned alot in these other 13 that came after that, thank god.

---

Metal Bros, any impressions on Necrophobic's new release?

Womp womp

Don't worry, it didn't last very long. I was listening to the Beatles all my childhood after that.

Buffalo kick ass. Dave Tice (lead singer) is bringing the band back, and has done a bunch of shows around Australia. Needless to say, they're still awesome to this day. One of my highlights back at the Sydney metal festival earlier this year.

Surprised to see that other people know of them, but I personally don't find that a bad thing. Such underrated stuff; like a mix of Sabbath and Steppenwolf/Mountain

I'm loving the new Falkenbach. Vratyas Vakyas knows how to blend Black Metal, folk and grandeur.

Metal-GAF, recommend me some lesser known bands in the vein of Falkenbach, Summoning or Thyrfing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not that obscure, but have you tried Einherjer? Dragons in the North and Blot are two good places to start.

Then there's Månegarm and Mithotyn, and for a good Summoning clone you may want to try Caladan Brood. And for just great folk-tinged epic heavy metal, Ancient Rites is one of my favourites.

Not that obscure, but have you tried Einherjer? Dragons in the North and Blot are two good places to start.

Then there's Månegarm and Mithotyn, and for a good Summoning clone you may want to try Caladan Brood. And for just great folk-tinged epic heavy metal, Ancient Rites is one of my favourites.

I know Einherjer, Manegarm and Mithotyn.Mithotyn is probably my favorite of all viking and folk metal bands.

Caladan Brood was also recommended by a friend a few weeks ago. I am listining to them now and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the other recommendations. Never heard of Dragons in the North and Blot.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Amen! Hallelujah! Praise Satan!

... uh, but yeah. I love Septicflesh. Would love to see them perform with an orchestra some day.

And be called motherfucker* in orchestral version? :D

(* been on their concert before and this word appeared in almost every sentence that lead singer spoke during the gig)

fallout

And be called motherfucker* in orchestral version? :D

(* been on their concert before and this word appeared in almost every sentence that lead singer spoke during the gig)
Haha, yeah. Their show was definitely the most I've ever been called a motherfucker.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Any Toronto Gaffers heading to Protest the Hero on Saturday?

Used to love this band, but kind of fell off after Scurrilous. Haven't seen them in a few years, and I've been listening to their new album in advance of the show.

I don't have much to say yet as I've only listened to a few songs. How are you guys diggin it so far?

fallout

How was the mosh pit? Anybody scare the hell out of you?
Nothing too crazy. Mostly just a fun party atmosphere. Mind you, I was at the front, so I didn't see a lot of it.

Black Dahlia came on after and there were a few metalbros acting like douchebags, but I stayed out of it for the most part.

Three friends of mine started a doom/sludge band a little over a month ago. This is their first recorded output if anyone would like to take a listen. The band name and song name are both 'Owlcrusher.' Any feedback (no pun intended) is welcome. Country of origin is Northern Ireland. Oh, and ignore the Dwell in Sun logos, that was a band two of the members used to be in.

metalcore is not really "metal + punk", it's a specific kind of metal.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
time for another power metal recommendation, this time the italians Trick or Treat. their sound is essentially Kiske-era Helloween worship, so if you enjoy that this is right up your alley. singer Alessandro Conti even sounds like a near clone of Kiske.

06_evil_needs_candy_too.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvlo2EInyyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E30WKXdGJQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwekNeUc5uw

09_tin_soldiers.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmRgg-G4Yg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kYHBnwluk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X47pmtFlKg

12_rabbits_hill_pt_1.jpg

this is pretty damn cool, a concept album based on Watership Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULkl6sEbUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mK5K_JTy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6SrZ3n5Wr8

Is nice to see fellow Trick or Treat fans over here! :D Alle Conti is such a fantastic and mind blowing vocalist! and a very talented tattoo artist to :p

Listen to them, kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom