• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Agalloch album is starting to grow on me, thank god.

Anyway, does anybody here know of any cool Bass solos done by Metal musicians? Just in case I pass one up!

This Agalloch album is starting to grow on me, thank god.

Anyway, does anybody here know of any cool Bass solos done by Metal musicians? Just in case I pass one up!

Atheist's first two albums and early Cynic bass playing were basically solos. Not much I can think of besides the obvious Pulling Teeth. I guess you can say something like Spastic Ink since the first album was just pure wankery on all levels.

What's everybody's opinion on British Steel by Judas Priest? I hear some interesting conversations for and against this album, so I'm curious to see what others think about it. I personally love it, but that's just me.

Atheist's first two albums and early Cynic bass playing were basically solos. Not much I can think of besides the obvious Pulling Teeth. I guess you can say something like Spastic Ink since the first album was just pure wankery on all levels.

I have the Remastered version of Unquestionable Presence, and Roger Patterson's attack is so much different from Choy. I love Ink Complete, but I barely remember any bass solos.

I can play the opening to Pulling Teeth, which means I have to stretch my fingers in almost absurd ways to hit the frets so I can actually get a full bodied note.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What's everybody's opinion on British Steel by Judas Priest? I hear some interesting conversations for and against this album, so I'm curious to see what others think about it. I personally love it, but that's just me.
I remember when I was pulled over by customs officer on national border with PS3 and bunch of games which I did not report due to VAT payment, I had this album in my CD player. When he asked for documents (I said that i went to the bank in Austria), "Breaking the Law" first refrain started on quite high volume.

"That is some good music, no need to open your trunk. Here are your papers and drive safely". Phew :p

Vio-Lence

Banned

british steel is classic. not the best priest album, but its solid from start to finish.

the british steel formula was revised and perfected with Screaming for Vengeance.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
British Steel has some classics, but some stinkers too. United is one of the worst Priest songs, and I can't stomach Living After Midnight anymore. It's a very good album, just has two skip-worthy songs. I agree that Screaming for Vengeance is much better overall. And Defenders is even better still. :)

My opinion? Probably one of my favorites, but it's hard to say since I love all of their classics equally. Stained Class, Painkiller, Screaming, Sad Wings, and the likes. It's also nice to see that they have different eras and all sound differently from one another.

Quackula

Yeah I'm definitely in the "don't like British Steel" camp.

I love Hell Bent For Leather/Killing Machine though, so it's not like the "poppiness" turns me off.

Hm.

ShaneB

I listened to Megahera's first album earlier today at the gym, and was wondering, hey, it's been out a couple years, I really should check if they have a new one...

Oh my god they do.

383242.jpg

fuck yes.

Kaladin

Here is a list of what I have enjoyed so far this year in the realm of metal:

Top 40 Metal(ish) albums of 2013 (so far) (in alphabetical order by artist)

Artist - Album
All Pigs Must Die - Nothing Violates This Nature
Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods
Ancient VVisdom - Deathlike
Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything
The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
Black Sabbath - 13
Black Tusk - Tend No Wounds
Children Of Bodom - Halo Of Blood
Corrections House - Last City Zero
DevilDriver - Winter Kills
Doomriders - Grand Blood
Evile - Skull
Hessian - Manegarmr
Howl - Bloodlines
Intronaut - Habitual Levitations (Instilling Words With Tones)
Kadavar - Abra Kadavar
Kylesa - Ultraviolent
Leaves' Eyes - Symphonies Of The Night
Motorhead - Aftershock
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
Noisem - Agony Defined
Orchid - The Mouths of Madness
Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Red Fang - Whales and Leeches
Revocation - Revocation
Rob Zombie - Venemous Rat Regeneration Vendor
Satyricon - Satyricon
Six Feet Under - Unborn
Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Stone Sour - House of Gold & Bones Part 2
Suffocation - Pinnacle Of Bedlam
Terror - Live By The Code
Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry Of Consciousness
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Mind Control
Various Artists - Sound City - Real To Reel Soundtrack
Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
Warbeast - Destroy
Warbringer - IV: Empires Collapse
Watain - The Wild Hunt

Artist - Album
Black Sabbath - 13
Carcass - Surgical Steel
Doomriders - Grand Blood
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Evile - Skull
Gorguts - Colored Sands
Hessian - Manegarmr
Howl - Bloodlines
Kadavar - Abra Kadavar
Kylesa - Ultraviolent
Motorhead - Aftershock
Nails - Abandon All Life
Noisem - Agony Defined
Revocation - Revocation
Satyricon - Satyricon
Six Feet Under - Unborn
Warbeast - Destroy
Watain - The Wild Hunt

Fixed that for you

Man, all of those albums? I feel like I'm way out of the loop, I'm still discovering Metal that came out nearly 20 years ago. Not to mention I'm finally catching up on the entire Power Metal Genre. Oh well, baby steps right?

I listened to more of Suffocation's Pinnacle of Bedlam, and IMO I still haven't found an album of theirs that can compete with Effigy of the Forgotten. I wish that I could at least give Breeding the Spawn a chance that it deserves, but the production is just too shitty. It's a shame that the production is just that, because I would love to give the music the chance it deserves.

Also, my bass is down to two strings. Nuts.

FYC

Banned
You've listened to Pierced From Within and Despise The Sun right?

I too have barely listened to anything from 2013. On the bright side, recently bought Destruction's Release from Agony, which rules.

You've listened to Pierced From Within and Despise The Sun right?

I enjoyed some of Pierced From Within, but every time I listen to it, I feel bored after Depths of Depravity. Same goes for Human Waste, but that's an EP anyway and not really all that great. Like I mentioned before, the production on Breeding The Spawn is dogshit; totally not suited for the overall vision Suffocation was going for.

Having said that, I haven't listened to Despise the Sun, so I'm not ready to hang up the hat, (then again, I give music chances over and over again in hopes that it works for me the next time around). I should love Suffocation much more because Effigy is a top Five Metal album of all time for me. But it never clicks with me.

I enjoyed some of Pierced From Within, but every time I listen to it, I feel bored after Depths of Depravity. Same goes for Human Waste, but that's an EP anyway and not really all that great. Like I mentioned before, the production on Breeding The Spawn is dogshit; totally not suited for the overall vision Suffocation was going for.

Having said that, I haven't listened to Despise the Sun, so I'm not ready to hang up the hat, (then again, I give music chances over and over again in hopes that it works for me the next time around). I should love Suffocation much more because Effigy is a top Five Metal album of all time for me. But it never clicks with me.

Despise The Sun was more of a return to Effigy + the production of Pierced From Within. Flawless EP from Suffocation.

Breeding The Spawn was the only album I ever returned to the store (when you were allowed to) because of the shitty production.

Despise The Sun was more of a return to Effigy + the production of Pierced From Within. Flawless EP from Suffocation.

Breeding The Spawn was the only album I ever returned to the store (when you were allowed to) because of the shitty production.

Well, I'm never one to really give up on a band, so perhaps I will give Despise the Sun a shot since it sounds right up my alley.

Who knows? I never gave up on Power Metal after trying (and failing) earlier this year to get into it. Glad I didn't do that, because it's finally becoming a taste I feel I will acquire within time.

Artist - Album
Black Sabbath - 13
Doomriders - Grand Blood
Evile - Skull
Hessian - Manegarmr
Howl - Bloodlines
Kadavar - Abra Kadavar
Kylesa - Ultraviolent
Motorhead - Aftershock
Noisem - Agony Defined
Revocation - Revocation
Satyricon - Satyricon
Six Feet Under - Unborn
Warbeast - Destroy
Watain - The Wild Hunt

That's one thing I really love about metal in general: the variety! I feel like I've listened to a ton of new albums this year and almost none of them are this list.

These are some of my favorites of the year:

Deafhaven-Sunbather
Carcass-Surgical Steel
Gorguts-Colored Sands
Altar of Plagues-Teethed Glory and Injury
Subrosa-More Constant Than the Gods
Ulcerate-Vermis
Nails-Abandon All Life
VHÖL-VHÖL
Grave Miasma-Odori Sepulcrorum
Anciients-Heart of Oak
Gris-À l'Âme Enflammée, l'Äme Constellée...
Cult of Luna-Vertikal
Castevet-Obsian
Scale the Summit-The Migration
The Ocean-Pelagial
Ihsahn-Das Seelenbrechen

Kaladin

Some friends of mine from Chicago are releasing their first full length album. I've been a fan of this band for the past few years actually. They blend the acoustic and hardcore styles perfectly IMO.

Last False Hope - Drinking You Goodbye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nnCHIMpjj0

Best way I can describe it is hardcore played with acoustic guitar, mandolin, banjo, fiddle and an upright bass with harsh vocals.

The full album is on Amazon MP3: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHO64MQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The band's label is the only source for CDs now.

Favourites so far:
Deathhaven - Sunbather
The Monolith Deathcult - Tetragrammaton
TDMC kicks major ass with their "Supreme Avantgarde Death Metal", (brutal) death metal with a big contribution of keyboards (both symphonic and electronic elements). Epic, powerful, distinct and just plain awesome. The first track about a chaos robot god alternates bombastic and brooding symphonic elements, while the second about the Iran-Iraq war has electronic elements and middle-eastern chanting and the third about the Rwanda genocide is full of whistles and the sound of knives being sharpened. Unfortunately I don't think the quality of the first three tracks is preserved throughout the entire album. But I had high expectations (its predecessors is one of my favourite metal albums).
The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults - The Blazing Gospels of Heinrich Kramer
The Ruins continues what started with Foulest Semen and goes death doom for this album. A slow, plodding atmospheric album filled with chanting and organ play. Maybe a bit too slow at times, at least for my tastes.
http://youtu.be/ShcBv_PLcbk
Nails - Abandon All Life
Like Nasum mixed with Converge, only heavier and even shorter.
Progenie Terrestre Pura - U.M.A.
Very spacy and ambient filled (black) metal album. The cover sort of shows it, this album views space with awe: full of wonder, who knows what you can find in the vastness? Anyway I find it to be suprisingly mellow.
http://youtu.be/aaqJSGsbZR8
Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
Psychedelic death metal?
http://youtu.be/k7J-rtHng4A

And my massive to listen to list:
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane
The Ocean - Pelagial
Leprous - Coal
Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark
Gris - À l'âme enflammée, l'äme constellée...
!T.O.O.H.! - Democratic Solution (not expecting much though!)
Watain - The Wild Hunt
Carcass - Surgical Steel
Ulcerate - Vermis
Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
Code - Augur Nox

Kaladin

I need to give Deathhaven a shot. Something tells me they might not be my kind of metal in general, but with such critical praise, it's hard to ignore that album.

blahness

The few that I would add to top list of the year would be:

Autopsy - The Headless Ritual
Inter Arma - Sky Burial
Aosoth - IV: An Arrow In Heart
Church of Misery - Thy Kingdom Scum
Primitive Man - Scorn
Coffins - The Fleshland

I am sure I have more that I cannot remember right off hand though.

I saw Russian Circles in Munich yesterday. I really enjoy that kind of atmospheric music, but was a little bit sceptical if it would translate to the stage. It worked. They had a great sound and you could tell that all three are very talented and experienced musicans.

What I did not like, however, was their lack of communication with the audience. They didn't speak a single word. It is ok if a band is introverted and too much chatter would ruin the atmosphere for a band like that. But not speaking at all was considered pretty arrogant by some. Including myself.

Korranator

Not bad on the lists but lacking a few really good ones.

Shade Empire - Omega Arcane
Svart Crown - Profane
Vista Chino - Peace
Ereb Altor - Fire Meets Ice
Demon Lung - Hundredth Name
Spiritual Beggars - Earth Blues

Are you still looking for power Metal bands? Sorry if you already mentioned either way, I just don't have time to read every post. :)

My list is already big enough as for right now. but thanks dude. Usually, my list is huge, and it's most certainly not just Metal. I'm not joking when I say I'm probably wading through around ten albums at a time.

I was thinking about this, here is my list in no particular order...there has been some quality stuff put out this year.

Black Sabbath - 13
Children of Bodom - Halo of Blood
Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
Revocation - Revocation
Battle Cross - War of Will
Devildriver - Winter Kills
Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
Chimaira - Crown of Phantoms
Carcass - Surgical Steel
Kataklysm - Waiting for the End to Come
Soulfly - Savages
Sepultura - too long to type
Watain - The Wild Hunt

There are more but, so far so good in 2013. Three of the bands on there I would not have found out about if not for this thread. Good shit metal Gaf.

This year wasn't as awesome as 2012 for me..But still there were some highlights:

Cathedral - The Last Spire
Kylesa - Ultraviolet

I'm interested in those Red Fang and Kvelertak albums, though. I haven't listened to them, yet. Black Sabbath's 13 isn't for me and BS is my favourite band.

I don't have as big of an issue with it as others do.

I don't know, I like how dry it feels, although I agree there should have been more bass. Other than that, I like it. Or maybe the album is so damn good it doesn't need high dollar production to make an impact. I'm betting the latter (certainly didn't work for St. Anger).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom