• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

friday

I saw High on Fire last weekend, shit was great. I don't know what the crowds are like at other venues but the NYC shows are always pretty wild. My neck was sore as hell the next few days. Metal shows are the best.

Ravager61

Maybe controversial but A Matter of Life and Death is one of my favorite Maiden albums. Top 3 are probably AMOLAD, Powerslave, and Piece of Mind.

blahness

Latest MDF 2014 update:

MDF said:
New confirmations:

DARK ANGEL - One of only a few US shows!
TRIPTYKON (Switzerland) - Exclusive US appearance! Headlining the Thursday show at Rams Head.
INQUISITION
CRIPPLE BASTARDS (Italy)
ANTISECT (UK)
SOURVEIN
LEFT FOR DEAD (Canada)
VICTIMS (Sweden)
BLACK BREATH
GOAT TORMENT (Belgium)
CAPITALIST CASUALTIES
THE SECRET (Italy)
SEVEN SISTERS OF SLEEP
INTERNAL ROT (Australia)
MARUTA
БУТ (Czech Republic)
PUTRISECT
ENABLER
ENDORPHINS LOST

in addition to:
AETERNUS (Norway)
ARCHAGATHUS (Canada)
ASPHYX (Netherlands)
AT THE GATES (Sweden)
BIRDFLESH (Sweden)
BÖLZER (Switzerland)
BONGRIPPER
CANCER (UK)
CANDLEMASS (Sweden)
CASTEVET
COFFINS (Japan)
CREATIVE WASTE (Saudi Arabia)
THE CHURCH OF PUNGENT STENCH (Austria)
CROWBAR
DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
DROPDEAD
ENTHRONED (Belgium)
ENTRAILS (Sweden)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK)
FINAL CONFLICT
GOD MACABRE (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
GRAVES AT SEA
HEMDALE
HOODED MENACE (Finland)
IMMOLATION
INCANTATION
IN DISGUST
MACHETAZO (Spain)
MESRINE (Canada)
MGLA (Poland)
MITOCHONDRION (Canada)
MUTILATION RITES
MY DYING BRIDE (UK)
NECROS CHRISTOS (Germany)
NOCTURNUS A.D.
NOOTHGRUSH
ORATOR (Bangladesh)
RATOS DE PORAO (Brazil)
ROTTING OUT
SACRIFICE (Canada)
SARKE (Norway)
SHITSTORM
SICK/TIRED
SOILENT GREEN
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
STAPLED SHUT
TAAKE (Norway)
TANKARD (Germany)
THEORIES
TORCHE
ULCERATE (New Zealand)
ULVER (Norway)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
WAR MASTER
WHITEHORSE (Australia)
WINDHAND
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)
WRATHPRAYER (Chile)

How many metal-gaf posters/ lurkers are musicians?

If you are one, What instruments do you play? What kind of stuff?

Are you good enough to compose your own music, or are you a scrub like me who plays Aces' High over and over and over and dreams about someday actually making a halfway-decent song. Do you not play metal at all, but some other style?

Are you good enough to compose your own music, or are you a scrub like me who plays Aces' High over and over and over and dreams about someday actually making a halfway-decent song. Do you not play metal at all, but some other style?
3-4 years playing guitar
Love metal
My band: http://abdulalhazred.bandcamp.com/
My covers: http://www.youtube.com/user/gabrielgao/videos?flow=grid&view=0

I am. I study Music Theory and composition as well.

I play Bass and Drums. Bass since High School, Drums since I was ten. I'm open to learning about and playing any genre, as long as I have an affinity for what I'm playing.

I, on the other hand, haven't tried composing my own music. All of the other material was co-written, or just myself helping to write the drum/bass portions.

I play guitar primarily but I'm also pretty competent with keyboards and bass. I've written pages and pages of riffs and chord progressions but I have yet to actually write a song...maybe I'll start doing that.

Greg

I have an electronic project which is odd because I'm not really a fan of electronic music. It started out just for fun learning to play the keyboard because I always wanted to teach myself, but with my computer background I became fascinated with how much work can be done on the computer with synthesis/mixing/mastering. It felt like the perfect mixture for me.

I have a lot of free downloads left, so feel free to check it out in good quality:
www.digitalregards.com

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
We need a real OP this time.

How long many posts usually until a next number OT comes up?

Motherfucker, I take that as an insult! Sir, I challenge you to a corpse-paint battle with...

Wait, yeah, the OP sucks. Probably because when I made this thread, we didn't have much metal talk at all, and I felt it needed a permanent spot. I surely didn't think it would still be around now, after all this time.

One day, when we have an OT2, perhaps I, or someone else, will make a giant fucking OP.

Drinkel

I'm playing clarinet in a band, we don't really play any metal at all but I am however trying to teach myself to play the Harrowing Years on it which is fun. Not very good at it yet though I'm hoping to be able to make some songs of my own one day that will at least be more metal influenced than what we currently do.

Iron Maiden has done better songs than those on that album, but there is no other album that is as good all the way through as Powerslave. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is close.

I'd argue that Somewhere in Time is almost perfect (Heaven Can Wait goes on three minutes too long and isn't that great of a song to begin with). It also has some of my favourite underrated Maiden tracks like Alexander the Great and Sea of Madness, while Stranger in a Strange Land, Wasted Years and Caught Somewhere in Time are all awesome songs. I think I prefer Piece of Mind over Powerslave, as well, and definitely Seventh Son.

Melchiah

I've been playing in bands since 1990. Started with a Carcass-inspired goregrind band, called Genital Masticator, and moved to black metal in 1992. I'm currently involved in one band only (EDIT: and the slowly moving old school grind/death project), as I quitted another last year, but sometimes I participate in other bands' albums. The recent one being an old Finnish heavy metal band Sarcofagus from 1977. We're about to shoot a video next week of the song I was involved in. The project started in an interesting way, as they asked me to perform vocals on a totally improvised song on their gig. It was a different kind of experience, as I had never performed in that way before, but it's good to broaden your horizons.

EDIT.2: Forgot to answer the other question... I've never composed a song myself, as I don't play any instruments, but with my current band we often arrange the songs together. Everyone participates by throwing ideas, whether it's about the structure, or how the drums and melodies are played. The lyrics, samples and the overall visual imagery are more my area of responsibility though.

And another edit:
Metal albums as children's books.

uAoKOP8.jpg

aUvnncy.jpg

EYmEn8l.jpg

jfU3Dy9.jpg

5uvptSk.jpg

IDmyDb4.jpg

qiZ8JYZ.jpg

By Helena Zmatlíková

So I'm on vacation in San Francisco and I'm 99% sure I saw Lars Ulrich last in Oasis Cafe in the financial district. It was him and his girl and we were the only ones in there. I regret not asking him for a pic but I didn't wanna be disrespectful.

Motherfucker, I take that as an insult! Sir, I challenge you to a corpse-paint battle with...

Wait, yeah, the OP sucks. Probably because when I made this thread, we didn't have much metal talk at all, and I felt it needed a permanent spot. I surely didn't think it would still be around now, after all this time.

One day, when we have an OT2, perhaps I, or someone else, will make a giant fucking OP.
Haha sorry, I meant no disrespect. I wont even attempt an OPbecause it would be crappy as hell.

I think the last couple pages of this thread should be spent collaborating, with some of the regular members each typing up a topic (history of metal, specific subgenres, standout events in metal history, etc.). After all, we all have different specialties when it comes to this style of music. Let's make this thing massive, informative, and one of the best OTs in GAF history. And post it in Off-Topic regular instead of community to draw in some unsuspecting strangers. It would get moved after a few days, but that's fine.

I dib the Blind Guardian section!

Vio-Lence

Banned
at gun point I'd pick either Somewhere in Time or Piece of Mind, but you can't go wrong with the first 7 maiden albums. I think fillerslave is a little overrated. 4 filler tracks surrounded by 2 great openers and 2 epic closers. Self titled thru Seventh Son are all excellent.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Any Maiden albums Post-Seventh Son that should be considered? I know how damn spotty their albums are after that.

Fear of the Dark is pretty good, Brave New World and Dance of Death reunion albums with Bruce and Adrian are worth a spin, I personally like the Blayze albums, there are some good tracks on X-Factor and Virtual XI.

No Prayer for the Dying, A Matter of Life and Death, and the Final Frontier are shit though in my opinion. Maiden fan would be better off finding some of Bruce's solo work like Accident of Birth of Chemical Wedding.

Any Maiden albums Post-Seventh Son that should be considered? I know how damn spotty their albums are after that.
This right here son

Iron_Maiden_-_Brave_New_World.jpg

There are at least a couple tracks on basically every post-seventh son maiden album that should be checked out, but as far as overall consistency goes, A Brave New World is in my top five Maiden albums.

Dat Wicker Man chorus

EDIT: I would disagree with Vio-Lence about The Final Frontier. It's different, but very layered with lots of musical goodies. It's one of those that you'll hear a new element or piece from for the first thirty times you listen.

at gun point I'd pick either Somewhere in Time or Piece of Mind, but you can't go wrong with the first 7 maiden albums. I think fillerslave is a little overrated. 4 filler tracks surrounded by 2 great openers and 2 epic closers. Self titled thru Seventh Son are all excellent.

The only real filler on Powerslave is The Duellist. Back In The Village is a filler song, but the twin harmonies in that middle section redeems itself. Losfer Words is a nice welcome back to Maiden instrumental songs.

Piece of Mind/Number Of The Beast are probably my most listened to Maiden albums, but I consider their first 7 albums equal in weight.

Vio-Lence

Banned
The only real filler on Powerslave is The Duellist. Back In The Village is a filler song, but the twin harmonies in that middle section redeems itself. Losfer Words is a nice welcome back to Maiden instrumental songs.

Piece of Mind/Number Of The Beast are probably my most listened to Maiden albums, but I consider their first 7 albums equal in weight.

I agree that back in the village is an awesome b-side, but i can't stand flash of the blade or the duelist. those songs always get skipped. the best or worst example of filler song on the maiden golden era albums is Quest for Fire tho. song is garbage.

I think a better survey would be like a top 5/10 maiden b-sides or deep cuts. Asking for top albums is uninspired for the most part since there is a usual consensus on these type of things, especially for a band like Maiden.

here's a shot:

1. judas be my guide
2. back in the village
3. still life
4. total eclipse
5. Deja-vu
6. man on the edge
7. 22 acacia avenue

etc

Kaladin

I learned tonight that I'm that guy who requests obscure songs that the band rarely plays live and has forgotten by the time I get around to requesting them.

What's really fun though is when the bands do know them, and love playing a deep cut track they don't always play live.

rObit

Banned
Hey metal-GAF, which Baroness album should be my first? I've listened to them here and there and liked them but haven't dipped on an album until now.

I agree that back in the village is an awesome b-side, but i can't stand flash of the blade or the duelist. those songs always get skipped. the best or worst example of filler song on the maiden golden era albums is Quest for Fire tho. song is garbage.

I think a better survey would be like a top 5/10 maiden b-sides or deep cuts. Asking for top albums is uninspired for the most part since there is a usual consensus on these type of things, especially for a band like Maiden.

here's a shot:

1. judas be my guide
2. back in the village
3. still life
4. total eclipse
5. Deja-vu
6. man on the edge
7. 22 acacia avenue

etc

oh god, Quest By Fire is the worst Maiden song during those golden years. I always skip that stupid song.

Best B-side Maiden song is Total Eclipse by far. I think Maiden didn't want to overshadow Hallowed Be Thy Name as the best song on Number of the Beast :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom