• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahness

Was Maryland Deathfest always $255 for the entire fest? That seems high to me.

It has gone up a little bit year by year. $255 is for everything: The main fest, the Thursday smaller capacity venue day, and access to the Soundstage venue which hosts grindcore/hardcore/etc bands throughout the weekend. Depending on what bands you will want to see will really determine if you just want the 3-day Edison lot pass (thats the main event) or individual days. If you are going to absolutely be there throughout the weekend, the 3-day Edison is worth it. The Thursday night lineup will usually include some band that everyone wants to see and will usually sell out pretty fast.

Kaladin

It has gone up a little bit year by year. $255 is for everything: The main fest, the Thursday smaller capacity venue day, and access to the Soundstage venue which hosts grindcore/hardcore/etc bands throughout the weekend. Depending on what bands you will want to see will really determine if you just want the 3-day Edison lot pass (thats the main event) or individual days. If you are going to absolutely be there throughout the weekend, the 3-day Edison is worth it. The Thursday night lineup will usually include some band that everyone wants to see and will usually sell out pretty fast.

I'm not going this year....wish I could, but I'm already going to two fests around that time that require travel......one requires a plane ticket actually.

On another note, does anybody else feel that No Remorse is one of their best songs EVER? I've always though so; what an incredibly underrated song. Definitely the best on their first album for myself.

Best releases of the year so far, eh? Off the top of my head:

Church of Misery - Thy Kingdom Scum
Peste Noire - Peste Noire
Ghost - Infestissumam
Antediluvian - Logos

Although I've only scratched the surface of the new Ulcerate, it does sound promising. So far I like it more, than their previous records.

my girlfriend and I redboxed Monsters University the other night. Holy shit, this was the biggest laugh of the whole movie...

sort of gives the joke away posting in this thread, but oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOiXYFzjIM

Ha ha, this is great; I didn't notice this before.

I'm pretty sure my parents would condemn this as pure noise; but to be fair my dad finds Led Zeppelin to be noisy. He would find some of my music to be torture.

Ravager61

These are probably my top 10 metal albums that came out this year. They are in no order except that Deafheaven is my favorite.

Deafheaven - Sunbather
Nails - Abandon All Life
Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
Darkthrone- The Underground Resistance
Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Thy Light - No Morrow Shall Dawn
Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle
Agrimonia - Rites of Separation
Aosoth - IV: Arrow in Heart
The Runis of Beverast - Blood Vaults

Honorable mentions to: Kvelertak - Meir, Lycus - Tempest, Autopsy - The Headless Ritual, Bone Sickness - Alone in the Grave, Exhumed - Necrocracy, Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum, In Solitude - Sister

Just off the top of my head for 2013 best of the year for me...

Stryper- No more Hell to pay
Death Angel- The Dream calls for Blood
Queensryche- Queensryche
Evile- Skull
Stratovarius- Nemesis
Annihilator- Feast
Holy Grail- Ride the Void
Fates Warning- Darkness in a Different Light
Soilwork- The living infinite

Kaladin

FYI, the reason I have such an in depth list of what I've enjoyed this year is that I buy such a large amount of music over the year that I keep a running list like that. Seriously, I probably spend around $1k (conservative estimate) on music each year. I probably average 150 - 200 albums every year. I keep a Top 40 specifically for metal, and a Top 40 specifically for roots, americana and country. Keeping that kind of playlist helps me make sense of the large volume of music that I consume throughout the year.

FYI, the reason I have such an in depth list of what I've enjoyed this year is that I buy such a large amount of music over the year that I keep a running list like that. Seriously, I probably spend around $1k (conservative estimate) on music each year. I probably average 150 - 200 albums every year. I keep a Top 40 specifically for metal, and a Top 40 specifically for roots, americana and country. Keeping that kind of playlist helps me make sense of the large volume of music that I consume throughout the year.

How exactly do you keep track of it?

Do you have a blog?

On the topic of blogs when I was drunk a few nights ago I bout the URL brotherhoodofmetal.com to go along with my other drunken purchase, metalverse.com.

Nothing says cheesy power metal like those. But no idea what I'll do with them. Maybe start a metal blog?

That's a lot of music. I've never even counted how much I listen to per year, but it's pretty damn big. I'm always trying to discover music, no matter what time it was composed.

Kaladin

How exactly do you keep track of it?

Do you have a blog?

On the topic of blogs when I was drunk a few nights ago I bout the URL brotherhoodofmetal.com to go along with my other drunken purchase, metalverse.com.

Nothing says cheesy power metal like those. But no idea what I'll do with them. Maybe start a metal blog?

I wish I had the discipline to keep a blog or podcast running...but I keep track of it mostly with those playlists. Keeping a Top 40 gives me a reasonable collection of stuff to listen to. I try to cycle new stuff in as I get it and by the time I have something to cycle in, I know what to cycle out. I kick something out of the playlist if I just don't like it or if I haven't listened to it in a while or whatever. I'm the type that likes to listen to stuff on shuffle so I'll have a large collection of albums on shuffle at any given time instead of listening to one CD mostly.

pablito

my 2013 picks off the top of my head

gorguts - colored sands
nails - abandon all life
bolzer - aura
arnaut pavle - s/t
tyrant goatgaldrakona - horns in the dark
lantern - below
antediluvian - logos

couple eps in there but whatevs

Melchiah

We played the first gig in four years with my band Black Dawn during the last weekend. Here are some clips and pics from the event. Sadly it was the organizer's last event, as they've been having too much losses due to the overabundance of gigs, which resulted with too few sold tickets. Eventhough that particular annual festival has usually been sold out. I guess it didn't cover up the expenses from the rest of the events. It's truly unfortunate, as they brought bands like Blasphemy and Autopsy to Finland, that no other organizer would have.

Old stuff with blood show: Blood for Satan & Of Blackest Witchcraft
A couple of new unreleased songs:
Come the Colorless Dawn
The Sectile Shadow

oGHMwCFl.jpg

Audience with spiked bras:
NR6I1dVl.jpg

N3BcxtBl.jpg

Stage props by the event organizer:
vnzFP3Dl.jpg

Bonus pic of Cult of Fire:
l9gGZiql.jpg

More pics from the festival can be found here.
Acherontas
Akitsa
Aosoth
Cult of Fire
Kadotus
Marduk
Obscure Burial
Plaga
Sargeist
Satanic Warmaster
Svartidaudi
The Ruins of Beverast
True Black Dawn

Drinkel

So I'm trying to go back to albums released this year to make sure that things that didn't grab me the first time gets a second chance. (Mostly to try to get into Sunbather honestly.) And in similar veins the latest Vattnet Viskar leaves a much better impression this time. Has anybody else listened to it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Killers, Seventh Son and Powerslave for me.

Then again, Powerslave's there because of Rime and the s/t song which are ridiculously awesome. Remove those and while it's still good, it takes a bit of a dive. Killers and Seventh Son are more consistently great.

Speaking of Maiden... tomorrow I have a road trip, from Montreal to Toronto, with some friends. Last time I made a similar road trip (with two friends), we played all first 7 Maiden albums back to back, which was exactly the duration of the trip from Montreal downtown to Toronto downtown. :D This time we'll have a few more people in the van, not all of them are metal/Maiden fans... think I should try to convince them to repeat the experiment? After all, it's for science... we have to determine if the distance by car between these cities is really the equivalent of the first 7 Iron Maiden albums, and no true scientific experiment is valid without being repeated!

XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom