• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Pilgrim and Windhand last night in Amsterdam. Holy shit, they are both some of the best doom metal bands ever for me, the heaviest shows in a long time.
amfQb0Y.jpg

g5mOHNZ.jpg

Just feel the need to post this song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnJpFv2YWsg

Machine Head-Violate

God damn I love The More Things Change album, probably my favourite from them even though it is probably regarded as their worst apart from the nu-metal albums (The Burning Red is pretty good though)

Any other Machine Head fans on Gaf?

I like them quite a bit. I listen to The Blackening and The more things change all the time. I also listen to Burn My eyes and unto the locust sometimes.

"Halo" and "Ten-ton hammer" are some of my most-used "MAN THE FUCK UP AND LIFT" songs when I need a kick in the ass at the gym. Like, I've stopped listening to them in all other contexts so that the adrenaline rush of the pushing-myself-when-lifting ritual is as intense as I can make it. The only song I've used for this more than those two
is probably Mastodon's "Blood and Thunder."

Is "Through the ashes of empires" considered one of the nu-metal albums? I've never really listened to that one.

robertoci

I like them quite a bit. I listen to The Blackening and The more things change all the time. I also listen to Burn My eyes and unto the locust sometimes.

"Halo" and "Ten-ton hammer" are some of my most-used "MAN THE FUCK UP AND LIFT" songs when I need a kick in the ass at the gym. Like, I've stopped listening to them in all other contexts so that the adrenaline rush of the pushing-myself-when-lifting ritual is as intense as I can make it. The only song I've used for this more than those two
is probably Mastodon's "Blood and Thunder."

Is "Through the ashes of empires" considered one of the nu-metal albums? I've never really listened to that one.

Mastodon are great too, will have to put them in my CD rotation again, been too long since I listened to them, Thanks for reminding me!

Through the Ashes of Empires is sorta their comeback album after the two "nu-metal" albums and is great, Imperium from that album is probably one of their most popular songs and is probably their most raw album aside from The More Things Change, just love the emotion that they put into it, I highly recommend giving a listen to the whole album, it is still great.

Mastodon are great too, will have to put them in my CD rotation again, been too long since I listened to them, Thanks for reminding me!

Through the Ashes of Empires is sorta their comeback album after the two "nu-metal" albums and is great, Imperium from that album is probably one of their most popular songs and is probably their most raw album aside from The More Things Change, just love the emotion that they put into it, I highly recommend giving a listen to the whole album, it is still great.

Thanks, I knew the 2 before Ashes counted as nu-metal ones for sure so I haven't felt motivated to listen to them, but I wasn't sure if the line was drawn before or after ashes. I first found out about the band because of all the praise the Blackening received. I'll be sure to listen to the full Ashes album. Thanks.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey metal-GAF

I was wondering if you guys could suggest some bands in the prog/math metal area that are really bass heavy or bands where the bass is heavily featured (lots of solos and whatnot)

Thanks in advance!

Hey metal-GAF

I was wondering if you guys could suggest some bands in the prog/math metal area that are really bass heavy or bands where the bass is heavily featured (lots of solos and whatnot)

Thanks in advance!

Besides the obvious Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Manowar

Spiral Architect

Behold…The Arctopus

Dysrhythmia

Atheist (this one is just a drum and bass track, but its completely nuts)

Death (another drum and bass track)

Cynic (early Cynic had Tony Choy on bass, which is the same guy on that Atheist track above)

Sadus

Spastic Ink

Watchtower

Melchiah

Svart Records just released this:
"Pre-orders for the Demilich 3LP box and 2CD set are online now! Check out the new master here, and pre-order via the links in comments. We are currently experiencing some server issues due to heavy usage & and are working to solve the issue as soon as possible. Apologies if you have to stare at "Resource limit reached" too long, but keep trying!"
Demilich box set details:
http://www.deathmetal.org/news/demilich-box-set-details-released/
Makes me miss a vinyl player. =/

Demilich: (Within) The Chamber of Whispering Eyes (Official remaster)
http://youtu.be/RT76I8R9RBw

Almost all of Demilich’s recorded output is available for free download here:
http://www.anentity.com/demilich/download.php

I would definitely purchase a physical copy of Nespithe. Either way, this sounds pretty damn cool.

The demo 1991 is still my personal favorite, particularly the song And the Slimy Flying Creatures Reproduce in Your Brains. Perhaps because it's the first one I heard from them. I just love the guitar sound, and the vocals that are mixed on the top.

YES SIR! I'll be sure to grab everything Demilich has done, it seems.

Also, I still think Antti Boman is a great vocalist. Sounds like the musical personification of a belching demon.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

Amazing, i will pick this up for sure. I've got an original issue of Nespithe and it's one of my most cherished items.

Bowman's vocals are still one of the most non-replicable sounds ever.

Kaladin

Black Flag is kind of metal, and I really have no other place to throw this info, and I don't feel like making a thread for it:

Well. I wish I could say the Black Flag reunion was good while it lasted, but yeah....it kind of sucked.

Wow! Ron Reyes just posted a lengthy statement on Facebook announcing he has decided to leave Black Flag, stating he believes the band “fell very short indeed and the diminishing ticket sales and crowds are a testament to that.” You can read the full statement below.

It is unclear whether Black Flag’s new album What The…, which features Reyes on vocals, is still going to be released on December 13th via SST Records. If it does see the light of day, it will be the first album released under the Black Flag name since 1985′s “In My Head.”

Black Flag or “What The…”
November 26, 2013 at 5:21pm

“On November 24th 2013 the last night of the Australian Hits and Pits tour with two songs left in the set Mike V comes on stage stares me down, takes my mic and says “You’re done, party’s over get off it’s over…” He said something else to me but it was a lie so I won’t repeat it here. So with a sense of great relief that it was finally over I left the stage and walked to the hotel room. They finished the set with Mike V on vocals. There is much more that can and perhaps should be said. But for now I will spare you the gory details.

The writing was on the wall since before we played our first show. So many things went wrong from the start. I was into things like having a good drummer, rehearsing and spending time on things like beginnings and endings of songs, being a little less distracted with tour life and a little more on the ball. You know things that would make our efforts worthy of the name Black Flag… Yes it is my opinion that we fell very short indeed and the diminishing ticket sales and crowds are a testament to that. However It was made clear to me that raising these issues was tantamount to a blasphemous stab in the back to Greg. How could I question him, his efforts and hard work?How could I dare be a fan of OFF! And or be friends and a fan of Flag? I was told that I had to chose sides. But I refuse to treat someone like an infallible Pope figure. No guitarist deserves such unquestioning blind devotion.

And so I have been excommunicated in a very strange fashion. I truly feel sorry for anyone who had to witness the infantile behavior and the relentless provocation I was subjected to both on and off the stage. I regret that under such fierce provocation and taunting I sometimes responded in manners bellow my standard. I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first. I was naive enough to believe in the promise of potential. But in the end the good was no match for the overwhelming bad. I am proud of my contributions including the new album and it’s cover. Come on folks it’s only rock n roll.

I would not be surprised if Mike V becomes the new singer for Black Flag. It is my opinion that they have been planing this for some time. I wish them well. Mike is a true disciple of Greg and so they have a good working relationship. And ironically the tension over the last weeks has brought out some of Greg’s best playing. So it could be interesting.

I will miss playing with Dave Klien. He is a great kid and truly an outstanding bass player. Dave was an anchor that kept me from losing my place on a nightly basis. Trust me that was no easy task for either of us. I truly apologize for being in or more accurately “appearing” to be in competition with “Flag”. They know my heart on this matter. From the beginning I was happy for them and fully supported and understood why they would want to rock those songs and have a good time with friends and family. Yes I questioned their use of the name and logo but in no way questioned their motivation or right to do their thing. I envy them for they have succeeded in ways that were never possible with “Black Flag”.

And once again for the record, I agreed to do Black Flag before I knew there was a Flag. I mean no malice towards Greg or Mike although they will most likely see things very differently. I wish them luck and prosperity. I have learned many valuable lessons this year. And these lessons will enrich my personal and musical endeavors. Cheers. Ron Reyes.”

FYI: Flag is another version of Black Flag running with Off!'s Keith Morris as vocalist. Greg Gin sued or is suing Flag to try and get them to stop touring. It is my opinion that Flag does shows which are closer to the spirit of Black Flag, and Black Flag is treated like a big money reunion tour band with larger venues and shows with zero crowd connection.

True Story: My friend who owns the local dive bar out here tried to (and was very close to getting) get Black Flag. We're in a perfect location for when they go down to FL, and have nothing but good shows with bands their booking agent has sent to us before. He was many e-mails deep into the back and forth to book the band, had agreed on ticket price, received the band's rider and the date was all but confirmed by the band. The confirmation never happened and I was told by the booking agent that the band wanted a day off on the tour.......ok. Truth be told, I think this bar would have been the smallest place they have played since reuniting, they saw that and said no at the last minute.

When I finally saw them, they came off as a a reunion band put together to make money. Other people were happy to have seen them live but I could take it or leave it honestly.

True Story: My friend who owns the local dive bar out here tried to (and was very close to getting) get Black Flag. We're in a perfect location for when they go down to FL, and have nothing but good shows with bands their booking agent has sent to us before. He was many e-mails deep into the back and forth to book the band, had agreed on ticket price, received the band's rider and the date was all but confirmed by the band. The confirmation never happened and I was told by the booking agent that the band wanted a day off on the tour.......ok. Truth be told, I think this bar would have been the smallest place they have played since reuniting, they saw that and said no at the last minute.

When I finally saw them, they came off as a a reunion band put together to make money. Other people were happy to have seen them live but I could take it or leave it honestly.

Well that sucks to hear. Too bad I'll never be able to see them in their prime.

Kaladin

Well that sucks to hear. Too bad I'll never be able to see them in their prime.

Had to be around in the early 80's for that particular lineup. Henry Rollins and other vocalists took it to 86.

If you're a fan of that kind of hardcore, there are plenty of bands going today to suit your needs.

Kaladin

In other things metal....I'm finally getting around to listening to Deafheaven's Sunbather, and this is also my first time checking out Deafheaven. I like what I hear so far, but the vocals are unintelligible for the most part. It fits this band though....blends in with the music very well and becomes another instrument of the band as metal vocals can tend to do.

It's not really, but that's ok. Hardcore has a lot more variety to it these days than it ever has. I typically dig the heavier thrash crossover variety personally. Terror is one of my favorite modern hardcore bands.

True. I was a big fan of Refused's The Shape of Punk To Come. Also, The Blood Brothers. God damn what an insane band. Also, Converge and Botch are killer.

Nopren

It's not really, but that's ok. Hardcore has a lot more variety to it these days than it ever has. I typically dig the heavier thrash crossover variety personally. Terror is one of my favorite modern hardcore bands.

You should really check out Paint It Black, hell, everyone should check out Paint It Black.

rObit

Banned
Did I just accidentally let the Blue Record by Baroness cycle through 3 times?

No. It was not an accident.

Thanks for the rec, guys.

SOME-MIST

Hardcore Punk just isn't the same these days.
there are still insanely awesome hardcore punk bands tho.. that didn't stray too far from their punk roots.

fucked up
ceremony
weekend nachos
pissed jeans
fucking invincible
trash talk
coke bust
mammoth grinder
outbreak (even though they're "broken up")

etc...

We need more MetalGaf representing in the 2013 Album Of The Year thread. I have a feeling Deafheaven has a shot at getting a good # of votes. Also Steven Wilson's album could be up there. I have a good mix of metal in my list. It's maybe 40% metal(ish) albums.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91371487&postcount=36

But I love Arcade Fire!

Funeral is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

EDIT: Oh sorry SOME-MIST. Thanks for the recommendations, man.

SOME-MIST

No need to be sorry :p
The genre really isn't what it used to be, but there are some gems every once in awhile.

If you know the band "Daughters", the vocalist Les is actually the vocalist of Fucking Invincible which is a huge plus.

FYC

Banned
We need more MetalGaf representing in the 2013 Album Of The Year thread. I have a feeling Deafheaven has a shot at getting a good # of votes. Also Steven Wilson's album could be up there. I have a good mix of metal in my list. It's maybe 40% metal(ish) albums.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91371487&postcount=36

When I have money for albums I usually just buy whatever good shit I've yet to acquire, regardless of year. I've barely listened to anything from 2013 :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom