• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman42

Dr. Strangelove said:
What Phobophile said. The new song is sooo cheesy. Where is the goddamn intensity?
The first song sounded pretty good, but the newest one isn't very interesting.

They have certainly changed their sound since the First EP.

Q8D3vil said:
i listened to some tracks in black sabbath dio era and there were very good but i didnt have the chance to listen to the full album
Yeah, when you get the chance, do so!

i heard about ufo but didnt have the chance to listen to them
...read above. :D Force it and Lights out are their best albums, imo! Michael Schenker was/is an amazing guitar player, from my country too. :) Just like Helloween. ;D
Some more recommendations:

Down: southern metal/very slow and heavy... bury me in smoke
Faith no more: funky progressive metal or something like that. Pretty unique... Land of Sunshine
Rainbow!!! ...70s hardrock band with deep purple mastermind Richy Blackmore and Dio as the singer.
Gates of Babylon.
Stargazer.
Classics! "Rising" and "longlive Rock'n'Roll" are their best albums!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
OmegaDragon said:
Yeah, that new song didn't sound too hot :/

I am thinking of getting a Deströyer 666 album, I can get Phoenix Rising or Cold Steel. Which one would you guys recommend?
Those are the only ones I have and they are both awesome, just pick one and you'll be good.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Haven't heard their back catalog, but the most recent Deströyer 666 album "Defiance" fucking rips. One of my favorite metal albums of 2009 so far.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
DieNgamers said:
Faith no more: funky progressive metal or something like that. Pretty unique... Land of Sunshine
I'd actually consider Faith No More one of the first nu-metal bands, along with Helmet. You know, back when nu-metal actually had heavy metal influences and was good hard rock and not complete trash.

Q8D3vil

DieNgamers said:
Yeah, when you get the chance, do so!

...read above. :D Force it and Lights out are their best albums, imo! Michael Schenker was/is an amazing guitar player, from my country too. :) Just like Helloween. ;D
Some more recommendations:

i didnt like the lyrics style but the guitar was awesome :D

michael schenker was the influence of my avatar so im considering listening ufo just for him

Down: southern metal/very slow and heavy... bury me in smoke
Rainbow!!! ...70s hardrock band with deep purple mastermind Richy Blackmore and Dio as the singer.
Gates of Babylon.
Stargazer.
Classics! "Rising" and "longlive Rock'n'Roll" are their best albums!

didnt listen to down the song its too long

i listened to faith no more before ( mike putton can sing anything )

rainbow : stargazer is freaking amazing

i forget to tell you about pantera

i listened to cowboy from hell and i like the solo's alot but not the whole songs except cemetery gates and hollow from the next album ( maybe i'll give it one more chance )

blind guardian are from germany = germany have the best metal

one of my metal dreams is for kiske to do one more metal album :(

Q8D3vil said:
i didnt like the lyrics style but the guitar was awesome :D

michael schenker was the influence of my avatar so im considering listening ufo just for him

didnt listen to down the song its too long

i listened to faith no more before ( mike putton can sing anything )

rainbow : stargazer is freaking amazing

i forget to tell you about pantera

i listened to cowboy from hell and i like the solo's alot but not the whole songs except cemetery gates and hollow from the next album ( maybe i'll give it one more chance )

blind guardian are from germany = germany have the best metal

one of my metal dreams is for kiske to do one more metal album :(

Metal may not be the genre for you :lol Seriously though, listen to that Down song, it's stunningly good.

Phobophile

Charmicarmicat said:
Metal may not be the genre for you :lol Seriously though, listen to that Down song, it's stunningly good.
Nah, looks like he'd like heavy and power metal.

Q8D3vil

Charmicarmicat said:

i listen to dream theater :lol

my favourite song is 28 minute :D
but im not in the mood for long song right now ( except stargazer which i couldnt stop it when i heard dio voice :D )

anyway i prefer to listen to the long songs in good quality so give me time but i'll listen to it

edit : shit down song is 7 minute i though i saw it 13 minute so its my bad ( been awake for 20 hours )

Ceres

Banned
It's now official that The Pearl Room in Mokena, IL is closing its doors. Now residents of Chicago can quite bitching about shows being "all the way out in Mokena." I wish I had a venue 30-45 min away that had all the great shows Pearl Room got.

Yes, it's finally official, the pearl room is indeed finished....so sad to see
another cool metal venue bite the dust....thanks to frank, rj, mike, tony,
arthur, joe and the whole staff down there for everything over our last
three years there!

Chris, Rob & John
CRJ Productions

Here is the official "goodbye" and list of show moves:

The Pearl Room - Chicagoland's Premier Concert Venue sadly comes to end

The Pearl Room would like to thank everyone that supported our venue over
the last 6 years. We had a great time producing some of the best concerts in
Chicagoland and giving you all the best possible concert experience we
could. We made a lot of good friends over the years and we will miss each
and every one of you.

Thank you to all the great bands that played our stage and gave us the
opportunity to work with you, we had a blast and will surely miss your
company AND music. Thank you to all the agents and managers that believed
in us and helped make The Pearl Room a reality as a Southside venue, your
trust and commitment will never be forgotten.

Thank you to allour music sponsors and to all those that helped spread the
word of our venue. Special thanks to Scott Davidson at Rebel Radio, Rodney
and the CMF, Jessi Virtusio at the SouthTownStar, our friend FREAK and WRXQ,
John Vernon and Tammy at the IE. Thanx to Dan Locke, Gene Ambo, Stephen
Jensen and Michelle Overson for all the awesome photos you took over the years,
you guys are great.

Thanks to Chris Payne, Brandon Kane and everyone at Q101, many thanks to all of
you for the events we've done. Thanks to Amie and Mike at Ticketmaster and for
all the last minute rush jobs we threw at you, it was much appreciated.

Thanx to Tim with Pitch Black and all The Girls of Metal for spreading the word and
supporting the venue. Thanks to Chris , Rob and John from CRJ Productions and
all they did with Powerfest over the years, it wont stop here.

A huge thanx to all our staff including Tony, Art and the entire Gerard Audio crew
for making the Pearl Room the best sounding venue anywhere. period. Thank you Joe
for lighting the stage and wearing 27 other hats to make this place run, there arent
enough thank yous... Our stage crew, Mike, Adam and Scott for getting us praises
by each and every band that ever came to our venue and for having the best crew
anywhere in the states and beyond, a BIG thank you for all your work. And to our
entire staff of bartenders, servers, barbacks, security and managers for making every
show happen, we are much appreciative to all and we will miss you.

So as we turn the lights off one last time, we have one last thank you to each and
every one of you. Continue to support LIVE music wherever you are and all those
that make it happen, for music is the life blood that unites people across boundaries
like no other. Dont let that light ever go out, thank you all.

Sincerely,

Frank, Jeanne, Mark, RJ, Danielle and Katie

Sep 12 2009 8:00P
Doro / moved to Nite Cap in Chicago / 21+

Sep 13 2009 6:00P
Edguy / moved to Logan Square Auditorium in Chicago

Sep 23 2009 6:00P
Obituary / moved to Logan Square Auditorium in Chicago

Sep 25 2009 7:00P
Stratovarius / moved to Pyramid Club in Addison

Sep 26 2009 9:00P
DOWN / moved to Austins in Libertyville

Oct 9 2009 6:00P
Gojira / moved to Logan Square Auditorium in Chicago

Oct 19 2009 8:00P
Satyricon / moved to Double Door in Chicago / 21+

Oct 23 2009 6:00P
Moonspell / moved to Pyramid Club in Addison

Oct 27 2009 6:00P
Insane Clown Posse / moved to Congress Theater

Oct 29 2009 8:00P
Powerman 5000 / moved to Penny Road Pub

Nov 13 2009 7:00P
Vader / moved to Pyramid Club in Addison

Esch

Banned
Anyone else going to MDF this year? This is like the best lineup for anything ever.

AUTOPSY
GORGUTS (Canada)
OBITUARY
ENTOMBED (Sweden)
POSSESSED
PENTAGRAM
ASPHYX (Netherlands)
EYEHATEGOD
PESTILENCE (Netherlands)
NAGLFAR (Sweden)
CONVERGE
NECROPHOBIC (Sweden)
MALEVOLENT CREATION
MELECHESH (Netherlands)
SINISTER (Netherlands)
INCANTATION
PORTAL (Australia)
WOLFBRIGADE (Sweden)
HAEMORRHAGE (Spain)
COFFINS (Japan)
IMPALED
DECEASED
THE CHASM
SADISTIC INTENT
NAZXUL (Australia)
GRIDLINK
ROMPEPROP (Netherlands)
BIRDS OF PREY
STORMCROW
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)
GOROD (France)
JESUS CRÖST (Netherlands)
MASSGRAVE (Canada)
FUCK THE FACTS (Canada)
TOMBS
HOWL

If you like extreme metal and live in america it's a must see imo.

Ravager61

Ceres said:
It's now official that The Pearl Room in Mokena, IL is closing its doors. Now residents of Chicago can quite bitching about shows being "all the way out in Mokena." I wish I had a venue 30-45 min away that had all the great shows Pearl Room got.

Wow, this sucks. I've only been there once but it was a nice venue that got some great metal shows.

EschatonDX said:
Anyone else going to MDF this year? This is like the best lineup for anything ever.

AUTOPSY
ENTOMBED (Sweden)
POSSESSED
PENTAGRAM
ASPHYX (Netherlands)
EYEHATEGOD
NECROPHOBIC (Sweden)
MALEVOLENT CREATION
SINISTER (Netherlands)
SADISTIC INTENT
GRIDLINK

If you like extreme metal and live in america it's a must see imo.

those are the bands I want to see. Mainly Autopsy though. I dont even know what the Entombed lineup is like, but wouldn't be surprised if it was the early lineup that we all know and love. Also Gridlink would be a RARE treat to see.

EzLink

Banned
Fuuuuck, The Pearl Room is where I saw my Alestorm/Tyr show, it was a perfect venue for that type of thing, and it's a bit closer to me than Chicago

Flynn

Phobophile said:
I'd actually consider Faith No More one of the first nu-metal bands, along with Helmet. You know, back when nu-metal actually had heavy metal influences and was good hard rock and not complete trash.

Absolutely. Mike Patton's vocal influence alone on that big wave of nu metal bands (especially Deftones) is massive.

Flynn

Dr. Strangelove said:
I have an uncontrollable erection now.

partytape.JPG

Greg

27yo0v8.jpg

I don't think I made a post about these guys yet, but their debut is easily one of my top 5 for '09 so far - it's just riff after riff after riff of awesome, and I haven't become bored of it since about mid-March when I picked it up. It's melodic death metal with some techy bits thrown in... anyone that's a fan of Arsis or The Faceless definitely needs to give them a listen.

Once the player loads up on the page, check out the song Deplorable Miscalculations

2rx86qd.jpg

I've also been enjoying the new Persefone CD, Shin-Ken. It's progressive death metal, and although the vocals are pretty weak at times, there are some amazing instrumental sections throughout.

Persefone - Rage Stained Blade

Phobophile

Ceres said:
It's pretty lousy when you live in the city or north burbs but I'm just 20 min east of Mokena. It's a shame to see them go, but anyone who's seen a smaller show in Capone's can attest that it's fucking barren. I saw Absu and it couldn't have had fucking more than 200 people there and it was their first show in Illinois in over a decade, if not, their first show in Illinois, period.

NameGenerated said:
I saw them open for Wolves in the Throne Room in May. Krallice played all new songs and I can tell you now this album's gonna be fucking awesome.

Edit: actually this was one of the songs they played in Chicago.

Metal-GAF, why can't I like Black Metal? I've tried Wolves in the Throne Room and Altar of Plagues albums, and a smattering of different tracks here and there. I feel like I'm missing something that I should be in love with.

I can listen to pretty much every other sub-genre, and I know how to pick apart the good and the bad. But Black Metal is absolute nonsense to me.

Demystify it for me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
R Squared said:
Metal-GAF, why can't I like Black Metal? I've tried Wolves in the Throne Room and Altar of Plagues albums, and a smattering of different tracks here and there. I feel like I'm missing something that I should be in love with.

I can listen to pretty much every other sub-genre, and I know how to pick apart the good and the bad. But Black Metal is absolute nonsense to me.

Demystify it for me.

It's kind of an acquired taste. I didn't like it so much at first either, but Immortal is what sold me on it. Check out "Sons of Northern Darkness". The opening track, "One by One", will crush your skull and melt your face off with awesome.

Wolves in the Throne Room I like, but for different reasons. When their songs work, they work really well. Can't remember the track title but there's a song off "Two Hunters" that raises the hair on my arms.

Ravager61

R Squared said:

Demystify it for me.

Black metal takes the longest to get into of any of the metal subgenres. I think you have to keep at it until you find that one band or song that clicks for you. Most of the genre is just about creating an atmosphere, not about being catchy or brutal. If you enjoy the aesthetic and imagery that comes with black metal, the music should connect with you at some point.

Zozobra

R Squared said:

Demystify it for me.

I totally agree with Diseased Yak that 'Sons of Northern Darkness' is a great starter album for black metal. The problem with BM is that there seems to be a lot more shitty bands than any other sub-genre of metal so you can wade through a lot of crap before you get to the good stuff, but when you do, it's some of the best music out there imo.

corpserot

R Squared said:

Demystify it for me.
Burzum, Filosofem specifically, is what really got me into black metal.

Thanks guys, I'll keep all that in mind and re-listen to Wolves and Altar at some point. Is Krallice's s/t any good? I also find that a lack of lyrics can really ruin harsh vocals for me, otherwise it's just "Blargh argh gurrrrah satan rah!"

Also, on a not-related-at-all note, in addition to metal I'll occassionally listen to prog rock -- namely Coheed and Cambria, The Dear Hunter, Russian Circles and Porcupine Tree. For anyone who cares the new Porcupine Tree album has leaked, I'm planning to get it -- I just lack the willpower.

Zozobra

R Squared: Yes, the Krallice S/T is an absolute must-listen. Also, which WitTR albums are you listening to? I'd recommend checking out 'Diadem of 12 Stars' if you haven't already. While I think that all their stuff is quality, that's still my favorite album of theirs and I think would probably be the easiest one to get into.

I picked up Augury - Fragmentary Evidence yesterday and holy shit, what incredible musicianship on display here. I'm having a hard time with the less deathy vocals (I don't know how you'd describe them), they really don't sound like they fit with this bands sound at all.

Ravager61

Diadem and Two Hunters are their only good releases and even then, I find them to be inconsistent. Black Cascade is mediocre at best and Malevolent Grain is terrible.

Also, check out Weakling if you haven't done so. Their album Dead as Dreams is one of the biggest influences on Krallice/WitTR. Its also an incredible album.

Zozobra

Ravager61 said:
Also, check out Weakling if you haven't done so. Their album Dead as Dreams is one of the biggest influences on Krallice/WitTR. Its also an incredible album.

Yes! 'Dead as Dreams' is an absolute must, although I'm not sure if it's print anymore. Maybe you can still get it from Aquarius Records in San Fran?

I don't like answering questions like "what are you top 5 favorite albums?" but that is honestly one of the best albums I've ever heard of any genre of music.

Edit: Looks like it is back in stock http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

Holy shit, I know metal logos are ridiculous, but this is just a series of symmetrical lines. XD

I'm guessing Krallice actually is in there somewhere. I'll try to make some time to listen to them and report back.

krallice.jpg

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
Black metal takes the longest to get into of any of the metal subgenres. I think you have to keep at it until you find that one band or song that clicks for you. Most of the genre is just about creating an atmosphere, not about being catchy or brutal. If you enjoy the aesthetic and imagery that comes with black metal, the music should connect with you at some point.
I got into black metal before doom metal, lol

Enosh

I like all kinds of metal, from doom metal (speaking of which, Virgin Black is awesome) to metalcore

except black metal... there are only 2 BM bands I can listen to without starting to have the urge to kill someone, that's Burzum and Belphegor (and that one has a lot of death metal influences)

funny thing Wolfheart from Moonspell is one of my favorite albums and it has quite some black metal influences

Hellcrow

R Squared said:
Thanks guys, I'll keep all that in mind and re-listen to Wolves and Altar at some point. Is Krallice's s/t any good? I also find that a lack of lyrics can really ruin harsh vocals for me, otherwise it's just "Blargh argh gurrrrah satan rah!"

Also, on a not-related-at-all note, in addition to metal I'll occassionally listen to prog rock -- namely Coheed and Cambria, The Dear Hunter, Russian Circles and Porcupine Tree. For anyone who cares the new Porcupine Tree album has leaked, I'm planning to get it -- I just lack the willpower.

Tried norwegian black metal? I don't usually listen to it, but Windir, Immortal, Enslaved and Emperor are all great bands. Guess I don't like the pure stuff, but black metal + folk/prog/whatever make great cocktails.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
I got into black metal before doom metal, lol

I'd definitely be willing to bet your in the minority on that one lol. Personally, Black Metal was the last subgenre I got into but now id say its my favorite one. I just kept checking out bands recommended to me and eventually stuff started to click. I think a lot of the more atmospheric stuff is easier to get into than the straight blasting/evil stuff.

Hellcrow said:
Tried norwegian black metal? I don't usually listen to it, but Windir, Immortal, Enslaved and Emperor are all great bands. Guess I don't like the pure stuff, but black metal + folk/prog/whatever make great cocktails.
Emperor was the one I liked the most, but even then, it felt like it wasn't for me. Some of the stuff Abigail Williams does some stuff that I like, but they get really -'corey.

There's not inherently wrong with 'core, just a lot of the bands lack this little thing I like to call musicianship. Only metalcore I listen to is Protest the Hero and The Syncope Threshold.

I love, love, love, love, loooove Between the Buried and Me's instrumentation but their vocalist is absolutely putrid. He does this horrible scream, then he overlays more of the screams on top of the first one to make sure that he offends as many of your senses as he possibly can.

R Squared said:

Demystify it for me.

First band that got me into some black metal was Dissection. 'The Somberlain' and 'Storm of the Light's Bane' are still my favourite black metal albums. Perfection.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
corpserot said:
Anyone have recommendations for good recent harder black metal like Mayhem/Gorgoroth?
Zozobra said:
This album has been in my regular rotation for a while now and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd share:

2qnw2o3.jpg

Orcustus - S/T

Damn, is this ever some filthy, thrashy black metal. I don't know if "catchy" is the proper word to use for this album, but I often find myself humming a lot of the riffs at work. This album features both Infernus and Tormentor (now formerly, I believe) of Gorgoroth.

Below is one of my favorite tracks off the album - 'Of Sophistry, Obsession and Paranoia', check it out, hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25HEiRiOYJM
This is pretty similar to some Mayhem, I haven't heard any Gorgoroth before though.

Aske

corpserot said:
Anyone have recommendations for good recent harder black metal like Mayhem/Gorgoroth?

What eras of Mayhem and Gorgoroth? I only cared for the first couple of albums by both bands. But harder stuff would be Funeral Mist (Salvation, Devilry), Infernal War (Infernal SS/Redesekration); maybe Nehema (Light of a Dead Star) and Frozen Shadows (Dans Les Bras Des Immortels).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom