• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ravager61 said:
I'd definitely be willing to bet your in the minority on that one lol. Personally, Black Metal was the last subgenre I got into but now id say its my favorite one. I just kept checking out bands recommended to me and eventually stuff started to click. I think a lot of the more atmospheric stuff is easier to get into than the straight blasting/evil stuff.

I've tried to get into BM but I just cannot for the life of me. I think it's the constant blastbeat that grates on me. I started listening to a friends BM album and got through like 3 tracks before I even realized it had changed. Death is really my genre of choice, and for me at least, the drummer really makes or breaks the band.

Although, I did really like the newest Sigh album. They have deviated away from the BM norm quite a bit now I think. So it doesn't really count.

corpserot

Aske said:
What eras of Mayhem and Gorgoroth? I only cared for the first couple of albums by both bands. But harder stuff would be Funeral Mist (Salvation, Devilry), Infernal War (Infernal SS/Redesekration); maybe Nehema (Light of a Dead Star) and Frozen Shadows (Dans Les Bras Des Immortels).
I love early Mayhem, Live in Leipzig is among my favorite albums and I prefer Gorgoroth's newer albums, Twilight of the Idols is great.

Thanks for the recommendations, Funeral Mist is just what I was looking for. I've actually heard Infernal War before and like them. Having trouble finding any Nehema/Frozen Shadows. :(

Dilli666

corpserot said:
I love early Mayhem, Live in Leipzig is among my favorite albums and I prefer Gorgoroth's newer albums, Twilight of the Idols is great.

Thanks for the recommendations, Funeral Mist is just what I was looking for. I've actually heard Infernal War before and like them. Having trouble finding any Nehema/Frozen Shadows. :(

Go get the "Salvation" album from Funeral Mist. The new "Maranatha" is pretty boring.
Also check out Watain - especially the "Casus Luciferi".

Aske

corpserot said:

Horrible quality, but here are a couple of YouTube tracks:

Nehema - In October Nightshades

Frozen Shadows - Through Field Of Mercilessness

It strikes me that you might also like. Allegiance. Vrede, Hymn 'Til Hangagud, and Blodörnsoffer are all amazing albums. Strictly speaking they play Viking metal, but their sound is entirely rooted in blastbeat BM.

Dilli666 said:
Go get the "Salvation" album from Funeral Mist. The new "Maranatha" is pretty boring.

Agreed. Funeral Mist are one of my favourite BM bands, but Maranatha was massively disappointing, especially after the long (long) wait. Check out Triumphator if you're after more of Arioch's work. I was hoping he would re-invent Marduk since joining the band (under the name Mortuus), but while Plague Angel was promising, I hated Rom 5:12. It'll be interesting to see what on earth their forthcoming album is like.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I like "Maranatha" quite a bit. It obviously isn't as good as the super intense "Salvation," but it still crushes most of the black metal that has come out in 2009.

Aske said:
Horrible quality, but here are a couple of YouTube tracks:

Nehema - In October Nightshades

Frozen Shadows - Through Field Of Mercilessness

It strikes me that you might also like. Allegiance. Vrede, Hymn 'Til Hangagud, and Blodörnsoffer are all amazing albums. Strictly speaking they play Viking metal, but their sound is entirely rooted in blastbeat BM.

Agreed. Funeral Mist are one of my favourite BM bands, but Maranatha was massively disappointing, especially after the long (long) wait. Check out Triumphator if you're after more of Arioch's work. I was hoping he would re-invent Marduk since joining the band (under the name Mortuus), but while Plague Angel was promising, I hated Rom 5:12. It'll be interesting to see what on earth their forthcoming album is like.
A little nitpicky here, but Viking metal is not a genre -- it's more of a motif or theme.

Ravager61

ShadyLurker said:
I've tried to get into BM but I just cannot for the life of me. I think it's the constant blastbeat that grates on me. I started listening to a friends BM album and got through like 3 tracks before I even realized it had changed. Death is really my genre of choice, and for me at least, the drummer really makes or breaks the band.

Although, I did really like the newest Sigh album. They have deviated away from the BM norm quite a bit now I think. So it doesn't really count.

Like I said, you need to check out more of the atmospheric stuff.

What do you think of this?

Or this?

If you dont like either of those, you are probably right. Black metal is not for you.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Baroness - Blue Album leaked. It's a decent transcode but not a proper scene rip. General impressions on last.fm are that either you love it or you hate it because it's so damn poppy.

Edit: alright, I'm 5 tracks into this. So far we've had a track that sounds like Red Album Baroness but with Baizley doing his shitty clean vocals. Either he needs to get better at singing or stop it. I love his shouts but his singing sounds like a grown man crying and singing simultaneously. There's a song with some surf rock sounding hooks/psychedelia. Torche does it well but keep it out of Baroness. There's a completely forgettable acoustic track; thank god it's short. And a track that starts off with a noticeable post-punk influence but finishes off being Baroness.

Long story short, it's still Baroness, but more watered-down. Less metal, more other stuff influences. You wanna call it "progressive" or whatever, I'll call it blatant pop metal hipster fodder. I'm not saying it's bad, but not as good as Red. I haven't written off this band altogether, though.

Sandman42

fistfulofmetal said:
New Megadeth is.... Megadeth.

Only song I really don't like is Bodies. Headcrusher and This Day We Fight are my favorite tracks.
You said it.

Both Endgame and Blue Record are underwhelming. Not horrible, but not as good as they could be. Decent 7/10 records, the both of them.

Greg

Endgame is like a 4/10... shit is boring.

I'll wait for a proper rip of Blue Album before any judgments because it sounded great in the car, but pretty underwhelming on headphones.

Sandman42 said:
You said it.

Both Endgame and Blue Record are underwhelming. Not horrible, but not as good as they could be. Decent 7/10 records, the both of them.

7 sounds about right. A little disappointing coming off of United Abominations. Still better than Metallica's recent offering though!

Phobophile

fistfulofmetal said:
7 sounds about right. A little disappointing coming off of United Abominations. Still better than Metallica's recent offering though!
Megadeth being better than Metallica? I, for one, am shocked.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Phobophile said:
Baroness - Blue Album leaked. It's a decent transcode but not a proper scene rip. General impressions on last.fm are that either you love it or you hate it because it's so damn poppy.

Edit: alright, I'm 5 tracks into this. So far we've had a track that sounds like Red Album Baroness but with Baizley doing his shitty clean vocals. Either he needs to get better at singing or stop it. I love his shouts but his singing sounds like a grown man crying and singing simultaneously. There's a song with some surf rock sounding hooks/psychedelia. Torche does it well but keep it out of Baroness. There's a completely forgettable acoustic track; thank god it's short. And a track that starts off with a noticeable post-punk influence but finishes off being Baroness.

Long story short, it's still Baroness, but more watered-down. Less metal, more other stuff influences. You wanna call it "progressive" or whatever, I'll call it blatant pop metal hipster fodder. I'm not saying it's bad, but not as good as Red. I haven't written off this band altogether, though.
Fuuuuuuuck. Pretty much what I feared. I'll give it a listen in a bit.

Ravager61

The new Baroness is less sludgy for sure, but watered down is the wrong word for it. It does have a happier tone than previous material and reminds me of Torche quite a bit in some places but less catchy. Personally, I think the album is great. Yes, its not Red Album part 2 and their sound has evolved quite a bit but if you can see past that the album is fucking awesome.

I will agree however that the vocals are spotty in places, and I still think Red Album is overall a better album. Granted, I've only listened to the new one once, so who knows where ill rank it after I let it sink in.

Ravager61 said:
Like I said, you need to check out more of the atmospheric stuff.

What do you think of this?

Or this?

If you dont like either of those, you are probably right. Black metal is not for you.

I thought that Summoning were quite good. I think I'd have to be in the right mindset to listen to a whole album though. Music like that needs to be paid close attention to be appreciated. I wouldn't have it playing in the background while I'm driving or something.

Good reccomendation though, thanks.

Aske

R Squared said:
A little nitpicky here, but Viking metal is not a genre -- it's more of a motif or theme.

And yet some bands share a 'Viking x-factor' in their music that renders it quite distinct from bands who just use the imagery in their artwork and lyrics. It's the difference between Graveland/Falkenbach/Iuvenes/Allegiance/Bathory/Valknacht, etc. and Unleashed/Amon Amarth/most Enslaved. Whether the common thread between these bands can be defined as a distinct subgenre or not is debatable, but grouping them together with a qualifying term is extremely useful.

'Viking Metal' is an easy way to draw a line under bands that recall ancient Germanic/Slavic/Baltic warrior cults in their music rather than just in their artwork or lyrics; but since many of those cults had nothing to do with Vikings the term is imprecise. That's why I prefer to use 'Heathen Metal'. That catches non-Viking bands with the same sound under the same umbrella (bands like Skyforger or Woodtemple); but excludes bands who only use the artistic imagery, and nature-worshipping pagan bands - both of which lack the distinct and essential martial influences to their music.

With regard to Allegiance, I was really making the point that since they substitute Nihilistic/Satanic/Gothic/Demonic themes to focus purely on Swedish Heathenism and history, they can't be dubbed Black Metal; regardless of their sound.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Check it out, Enslaved fans:

Enslaved vinyl wooden box-set

enslaved_viva.jpg

It contains 6 long time out of print and sold out albums with alternate layout:

* Enslaved “Frost” LP
* Enslaved “Eld” 2xLP
* Enslaved “Blodhemn” LP
* Enslaved “Mardraum” LP
* Enslaved “Monumension” LP
* Enslaved “Below The Lights” LP

Plus we will drop in:

* A reissued demo tape version of the original demo: YGGDRASSILL
* An exclusive one sided record with rough instrumental recording of “Hal Valr”, never before released…(recorded in 1992!!!)
* An exclusive Enslaved belt buckle
* An exclusive Enslaved military cap with embroidered the logo on it

A total amount of 8 records which have been sold out for AGES!!!
All albums on thick 180g vinyl!!!

100 copies on white vinyl (sold-out)
200 copies on green vinyl (pre-ordered mine)
400 copies on black vinyl.

Comes in a beautiful wooden box.

Costs 160 Euro and will be released on October the 9th..

Can't wait for mine.

Info here: http://www.vivahaterecords.com/shop/index.php?controller=product&product_id=99

Aske said:
And yet some bands share a 'Viking x-factor' in their music that renders it quite distinct from bands who just use the imagery in their artwork and lyrics. It's the difference between Graveland/Falkenbach/Iuvenes/Allegiance/Bathory/Valknacht, etc. and Unleashed/Amon Amarth/most Enslaved. Whether the common thread between these bands can be defined as a distinct subgenre or not is debatable, but grouping them together with a qualifying term is extremely useful.

'Viking Metal' is an easy way to draw a line under bands that recall ancient Germanic/Slavic/Baltic warrior cults in their music rather than just in their artwork or lyrics; but since many of those cults had nothing to do with Vikings the term is imprecise. That's why I prefer to use 'Heathen Metal'. That catches non-Viking bands with the same sound under the same umbrella (bands like Skyforger or Woodtemple); but excludes bands who only use the artistic imagery, and nature-worshipping pagan bands - both of which lack the distinct and essential martial influences to their music.

With regard to Allegiance, I was really making the point that since they substitute Nihilistic/Satanic/Gothic/Demonic themes to focus purely on Swedish Heathenism and history, they can't be dubbed Black Metal; regardless of their sound.
I can see where you're coming from and you make great points, I still respectfully disagree.

On another note, the Baroness leak sounds like trash. But, it's just the transcode. From what I've heard it sounds like progression from Red Album. To some it may be backward progression, but I quite like it.

Q8D3vil

megadeth endgame is awesome
alot better than united and chris brodrick is awesome ( not awesome as marty but still amazing ) :D

Aske

R Squared said:
I can see where you're coming from and you make great points, I still respectfully disagree.

...With what? I should have been a bit more clear, but I agree that the term 'Viking Metal' doesn't really describe a subgenre. If you don't think that it's a useful term to further clarify a band's style, no big deal. I don't think people tend to use it as anything beyond a descriptive term for a band's image/lyrical focus anyway. It's the same thing as people calling Nile 'Egyptian Death Metal'. They're not trying to pass it off as a subgenre, and if asked specifically they'd label the music Brutal DM.

However, the 'Viking Metal' bands that play Pagan/Heathen Metal are different. Pagan Metal is a well-established subgenre, and is a descriptive term used by plenty of bands. Some of these bands are musically indistinguishable from BM and others could be called Folk metal, but plenty of them defy categorization.

Of the bands I listed, Allegiance, Valknacht and maybe Woodtemple's music can be lumped in with BM; but how (and why) would you divide these other self-professed Pagan Metal bands into conventional subgenres?

Graveland

Skyforger

Iuvenes

Sig:Ar:Tyr

Falkenbach

Aske said:
...With what? I should have been a bit more clear, but I agree that the term 'Viking Metal' doesn't really describe a subgenre. If you don't think that it's a useful term to further clarify a band's style, no big deal. I don't think people tend to use it as anything beyond a descriptive term for a band's image/lyrical focus anyway. It's the same thing as people calling Nile 'Egyptian Death Metal'. They're not trying to pass it off as a subgenre, and if asked specifically they'd label the music Brutal DM.

However, the 'Viking Metal' bands that play Pagan/Heathen Metal are different. Pagan Metal is a well-established subgenre, and is a descriptive term used by plenty of bands. Some of these bands are musically indistinguishable from BM and others could be called Folk metal, but plenty of them defy categorization.

Of the bands I listed, Allegiance, Valknacht and maybe Woodtemple's music can be lumped in with BM; but how (and why) would you divide these other self-professed Pagan Metal bands into conventional subgenres?

Graveland

Skyforger

Iuvenes

Sig:Ar:Tyr

Falkenbach
I opted to not elaborate because you made great points and there's no real point to arguing it.

I've just realized how amazing the first 15 seconds of Baroness' A Horse Called Golgotha is. It's absolutely mesmerizing.

Aske

R Squared said:
I opted to not elaborate because you made great points and there's no real point to arguing it.

You tease! I can agree to disagree - I was just hoping you'd clarify your position. Regardless, I took it as a chance to give some great bands a bit of GAF exposure.

Aske said:
You tease! I can agree to disagree - I was just hoping you'd clarify your position. Regardless, I took it as a chance to give some great bands a bit of GAF exposure.
Welp, according to Corpserot, mission accomplished. I still have too much music that I haven't listened to yet, but I'm definitely keeping your posts in mind.

Shameless

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Black metal takes the longest to get into of any of the metal subgenres. I think you have to keep at it until you find that one band or song that clicks for you. Most of the genre is just about creating an atmosphere, not about being catchy or brutal. If you enjoy the aesthetic and imagery that comes with black metal, the music should connect with you at some point.

2iiwv9s.png

^ That totally reminds me of the people me and my friends call "the dark ones" when we see them at rock/metal parties...mostly just standing around in their mystical black metal clothes, looking mystical and grim, not talking to strangers and mostly walking out dliberately during the best music. :lol

Aske

corpserot said:
I really, really like Nehema now. Black metal is fast becoming my favorite genre.

Glad to hear it - check out Graven for more music along similar lines.

I'm into the faster, more aggressive bands of the genre, but good ones seem to be much less common these days. Back in the 90s when I paid more attention to the scene, BM used to be quite evenly spread across the three basic styles: fast, epic/symphonic, or mid-paced/depressive. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but there seem to be far fewer good examples of fast BM bands these days. They exist, but they tend to be much more generic and less interesting. On the other hand, there are a plethora of impressive and creative mid-paced bands out there, but I'm not really into that side of the genre.

If you like 'Salvation', you should definitely check out Funeral Mist's first release 'Devilry'; as well as Triumphator's 'Wings of Antichrist', and Marduk's 'Plague Angel'. Arioch's creative presence is less pronounced in the latter two bands, but those albums are still sufficiently similar to 'Salvation' to provide some compensation for all the Funeral Mist albums that were never made. You might like some of Marduk's earlier output too ('Panzer Division Marduk', 'Nightwing'). Also if you don't mind NS stuff you'd probably love Ad Hominem.

corpserot

Aske said:
Glad to hear it - check out Graven for more music along similar lines.

I'm into the faster, more aggressive bands of the genre, but good ones seem to be much less common these days. Back in the 90s when I paid more attention to the scene, BM used to be quite evenly spread across the three basic styles: fast, epic/symphonic, or mid-paced/depressive. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but there seem to be far fewer good examples of fast BM bands these days. They exist, but they tend to be much more generic and less interesting. On the other hand, there are a plethora of impressive and creative mid-paced bands out there, but I'm not really into that side of the genre.

If you like 'Salvation', you should definitely check out Funeral Mist's first release 'Devilry'; as well as Triumphator's 'Wings of Antichrist', and Marduk's 'Plague Angel'. Arioch's creative presence is less pronounced in the latter two bands, but those albums are still sufficiently similar to 'Salvation' to provide some compensation for all the Funeral Mist albums that were never made. You might like some of Marduk's earlier output too ('Panzer Division Marduk', 'Nightwing'). Also if you don't mind NS stuff you'd probably love Ad Hominem.

Loved Devilry just about as much as Salvation, going to check out Triumphator and Ad Hominem now.

I'm also into the heavier stuff, but I am really into Oranssi Pazuzu right now as well. I have a bunch of Marduk already and I really like it, but haven't listened to them much. I'll check them out again.

Enosh

DieNgamers said:
^ That totally reminds me of the people me and my friends call "the dark ones" when we see them at rock/metal parties...mostly just standing around in their mystical black metal clothes, looking mystical and grim, not talking to strangers and mostly walking out dliberately during the best music. :lol

I think that's also on the "101 rules of black metal" list :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What the shit? :(
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based old-school metallers MANTIC RITUAL have parted ways with singer/guitarist and founding member Dan Wetmore.

Commented the band in a statement: "After much consideration, Dan has decided to no longer continue with MANTIC RITUAL. We are greatly appreciative of his tremendous contributions to the band and wish him the best in his future endeavors.

"For the upcoming tours this fall, our good friend Dave Watson will be filling in as singer/guitarist. We've known Dave for quite some time, and besides being a killer musician, he's an outstanding sound engineer as well (he mixed our 2007 self-released demo, 'Executioner'). We have no doubt that Dave will be a perfect fit for us these next few months, and that the band will continue delivering fist-pumping rock 'n' roll like it's 1955."

Added Dan Wetmore: "It has been hard for me to make this decision as I love Adam, Ben, and Jeff and the music we've made together. I've always been dedicated to the band and truly enjoyed playing and writing material. Still, I've had the desire to focus on photography for quite some time and I don't see myself spending life on the road. It is my personal choice to leave the band and return to school. Despite conflicting feelings, I know currently this is the best decision for me. The outcome is very hard to face, as I've enjoyed the past five years and progress we've made. I'm sure some might think I'm crazy or stupid, but I'll eat that. The guys are dedicated and I'm positive they'll do well with Dave taking my place. All the best to them, they're my pals."

All scheduled shows will take place as planned.

This sucks.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
The must have announced a few more dates for Mastodon because now they are coming here and I'm really excited.

The new 3 Inches Of Blood is pretty much more of the same. The harsh vocalist hurt himself then either left or got kicked out so those are gone. The bassist now does some harsh-ish backing vocals but they aren't nearly as prevalent as on their earlier albums.

And Gama Bomb is going to be giving their new album out for free over the internet on Nov. 5th if anyone else is interested. I am but I hope the quality is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0jFPO4leVQ

Greg

For any fans of Mouth of the Architect (the vocalist/guitarist is the band), Converge, or early Mastodon - you need to check this band out:

Struck By Lightning
2iuwdg2.jpg

There are two songs from their debut up on that page, but you if you click on the albums link they have the entire thing available for stream.

Woffls

FFFUUUU
someone told me to listen to Testament's latest album. After hearing Souls of Black on RB2 I was all like, "hell yeh bitches". Soooo now I'm listening to the Formation of Damnation relentlessly and It's god damn awesome.

But that's not what I want to talk about. I'm running out of Prog Metal having exhausted Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery (nearly), Ayreon and Fates Warning will be next. Who am I missing? What should I listen to next? I've tried Tool but just can't get into them yet. Thx gaf xx

TOM f'N CRUISE said:

fuck yes, i think i made this recommendation a few pages back. For me they were the last saviours of the first wave of retro thrash. Too bad their career was cut short all of a sudden :(

I've been digging Shrinebuilder. A supergroup composed of members from Melvins/Sleep/Om/Neurosis/Wino.
The only song they have and its on Myspace :\ http://www.myspace.com/shrinebuildergroup

Phobophile

NameGenerated said:
The new 3 Inches Of Blood is pretty much more of the same. The harsh vocalist hurt himself then either left or got kicked out so those are gone. The bassist now does some harsh-ish backing vocals but they aren't nearly as prevalent as on their earlier albums.
At least it was the hardcore vocalist. Completely pointless in that band.

Zozobra

I've really been diggin' Gorod - Process of a New Decline. I'm not the biggest fan of their older stuff, but this new one is really clicking with me. Maybe I'll give their previous albums another chance.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, I came in here to say I kinda like the new Megadeth, but I see it's been poo-poo'd. Well, I still like :) It's not my usual genre (I listen to mostly doom/sludge/stoner stuff), but the riffs are catchy. A solid but not spectacular offering.

Anyhoo, the new Baroness.... it's meh. I was really, really hoping to like it, but after 3 listens, I just don't. I'm more of a fan of down-tuned stuff and their lack thereof, not to mention the vocals, just turn me off. It's ok at best, to me.

If you are a fan of down-tuned chugga-chugga riffs, check out Serpentcult. Holy hell are they fantastically deep.

Woffls said:
But that's not what I want to talk about. I'm running out of Prog Metal having exhausted Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery (nearly), Ayreon and Fates Warning will be next. Who am I missing? What should I listen to next? I've tried Tool but just can't get into them yet. Thx gaf xx

Pain of Salvation
Vanden Plas
Threshold
Redemption
Porcupine Tree
Devin Townsend
Evergrey
Opeth
Andromeda
Oceansize
Beyond Twilight
Enchant