• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman42

Zozobra said:
I've really been diggin' Gorod - Process of a New Decline. I'm not the biggest fan of their older stuff, but this new one is really clicking with me. Maybe I'll give their previous albums another chance.
It's some pretty funky tech death :lol

Gorod is one of my favourite bands because they are just so unique sounding.

FFChris

Formless said:
I'm liking Endgame.

I has definitely grown on me. It still doesn't have the stand out riffs previous Megadeth albums are characterised by (to me at least) and some of the vocals are straight up awful, but it's at least solid and the solos are better than last album.

The Megadeth 'revival' has all been a bit a bit downhill, album wise. The System Has Failed had Blackmail the Universe on it, and that was the last Deth song I was really blown away by.

Since we all love making the Metallica/Megadeth comparison, I thought Death Magnetic was a bit better, despite the awful sound on the album.

Zozobra said:
I've really been diggin' Gorod - Process of a New Decline. I'm not the biggest fan of their older stuff, but this new one is really clicking with me. Maybe I'll give their previous albums another chance.

Nice recommendation, I'm really enjoying the tracks up on their MySpace.

Formless

FFChris said:
I has definitely grown on me. It still doesn't have the stand out riffs previous Megadeth albums are characterised by (to me at least) and some of the vocals are straight up awful, but it's at least solid and the solos are better than last album.

The Megadeth 'revival' has all been a bit a bit downhill, album wise. The System Has Failed had Blackmail the Universe on it, and that was the last Deth song I was really blown away by.

Since we all love making the Metallica/Megadeth comparison, I thought Death Magnetic was a bit better, despite the awful sound on the album.

Nice recommendation, I'm really enjoying the tracks up on their MySpace.
AK47 VERSUS A-R-FIFTEEEEEEEEEN

Sandman42

I ordered my copy of Cormorant's new album Metazoa this week. The samples on their MySpace are totally awesome. You guys need to check them out, they are seriously one of the coolest sounding new bands I've ever heard.

Anyone who has been on 235 knows that Cormorant's singer and bassist posts there. So that's naturally where I heard about them.

Go to http://cormorantmusic.blogspot.com/ to order the new album.

Woffls

sparky2112 said:
<list>
Yeah, there's plenty more that's VERY good, but that's a start

Thank you. That list is making its way to an Excel spreadsheet and I'll listen to all of them and tick them off one by one :D Cheers.

Zozobra

NameGenerated said:
I went ahead and ordered this True Norwegian Black Metal book from Amazon. It's down to $37 from $60 and the reviews of it are almost all filled with praise. Should be pretty cool.

It's a sweet book, but it doesn't fit in any of my bookshelves :(. I was hoping there'd be a few more live show photos in it, but you can't go wrong for $37.

On a semi-related topic, are there any good black metal documentaries out there anyone can recommend?

EzLink

Banned
New dethalbum shit is really good. Can never really understand the words without reading the lyrics alongside listening to it, so I'm looking forward to those

Especially "I Tamper With Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin" lyrics, whoop

Ceres

Banned
Just got back from Progpower USA. Fucking awesome show. Both Diablo Swing Orchestra and Sabaton killed it. I loved Orphaned Land but they played far too many songs from their yet to be released album. Pagan's Mind also put on a hell of a show once again.

So excited for next year, too. Tarot, Kamelot, Delain, Tyr, Illusion Suite, and Oceans of Sadness! Plus some other stuff I need to familiarize myself with. The only band I honestly don't care about is Hammerfall.

Picked up a lot of stuff

Caught:
Drumhead signed by Pagan's Mind drummer
Mindflow drumstick

Bought:
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious (early release)
DGM - Different Shapes
Delain - April Rain
Oceans of Sadness - Mirror Palace
Illusion Suite - Final Hour
Redemption - Snowfall of Judgement Day
Spheric Universe Experience - Unreal
Mindflow - Just the two of us... me and them
Guilt Machine (Arjen Lucassen aka Ayreon) - On this Perfect Day

The only unfortunate thing is that the Guilt Machine packaging sucks. It's a digipack and the entire thing is pixelated to fucking hell. Looks horrendous.
Basically it looks like this:
10853625x.jpg

but you notice the pixels even more.

Ceres

Banned
Sandman42 said:
The new Diablo Swing Orchestra is REALLY good. They have added a lot more experimentation to their already unique sound.

Yeah, they played Lucy Fears the Morning Star and Vodka Inferno off the new one. Perhaps one other. Their stage pretense it absolutely amazing and at the end of Lucy Fears the cellist and singer played kazoos (in place of the trumpets on the recorded song). I was up front going absolutely nuts and there were a lot of people dancing, especially to Balrog Boogie. I didn't have the room to dance a lot but I did what I could.
A tour with DSO, Unexpect, and Stolen Babies would be absolutely incredible although I don't think avant garde metal is big enough for that.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Just saw Agalloch play for the first time ever in Chicago on Saturday. Fucking great performance, despite the house mixing the band for shit. The drums didn't even sound amplified and the band may as well have been playing only through their stacks.

corpserot

EzLink said:
New dethalbum shit is really good. Can never really understand the words without reading the lyrics alongside listening to it, so I'm looking forward to those

Especially "I Tamper With Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin" lyrics, whoop
Love this song, but I think my favorite is Laser Cannon Deth Sentence. I'll have to listen to it a few more times though, I liked LCDS from the show. (Having the imagery of the episode in my head makes the song that much more awesome.)

EzLink

Banned
corpserot said:
Love this song, but I think my favorite is Laser Cannon Deth Sentence. I'll have to listen to it a few more times though, I liked LCDS from the show. (Having the imagery of the episode in my head makes the song that much more awesome.)

Haven't fully caught up on all the episodes yet, but I thought dethalbum II only had songs from third season. Cool though

when does the third season start, btw?

Zozobra

I picked up Be'Lakor - 'Stone's Reach' this weekend on a friend's recommendation. Really, really enjoying it. I'm not a big doom guy, and it's not often that I can have an appreciation for songs after only a couple listens, especially when they are 7 or 8 minutes long, but I found the songwriting made this one really easy to get into.

http://www.myspace.com/belakor

corpserot

EzLink said:
Haven't fully caught up on all the episodes yet, but I thought dethalbum II only had songs from third season. Cool though

when does the third season start, btw?
My memory is sort of fuzzy, but i'm pretty sure Dethsupport,The Gears, Volcano, and LCDS are all from season 1/2.

The new season starts Nov 8th.

Enosh

corpserot said:
My memory is sort of fuzzy, but i'm pretty sure Dethsupport,The Gears, Volcano, and LCDS are all from season 1/2.

The new season starts Nov 8th.

the albums always feature the songs from the previous season, so Deathalbum 1 was for season 1, the new one is for season 2 etc etc

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Megadeth announced their tour dates. They are taking Machine Head (ugh) and Suicide Silence (UGGGGHHHH)

Still going though.

Ravager61

NameGenerated said:
Megadeth announced their tour dates. They are taking Machine Head (ugh) and Suicide Silence (UGGGGHHHH)

Still going though.

Wow, Megadeth sure tours with some terrible bands. Didn't they tour with In this Moment last year?

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
Wow, Megadeth sure tours with some terrible bands. Didn't they tour with In this Moment last year?
Both Megadeth and Metallica. You'll be hard-pressed to find any mainstream metal acts two decades old who doesn't have shitty, barely metal and/or non-metal acts open for them.

NameGenerated

Yeah I saw Megadeth with In This Moment and Metallica with Machine Head. Warbringer is replacing Machine Head on Dec. 5th. I wouldn't mind seeing them, but too bad.

Phobophile said:
Both Megadeth and Metallica. You'll be hard-pressed to find any mainstream metal acts two decades old who doesn't have shitty, barely metal and/or non-metal acts open for them.

I *think* I'm seeing Lamb of God open for Metallica Thursday night (too lazy to look it up at the moment). Should be interesting if so, 'cause LoG is going to waaaaay out-heavy Metallica...

Blackheim

-Eddman- said:
Cool, i have The Sham Mirrors and i love it, How many albums do they have?

2 EPs: My Angel and Constellation
4 Studio Albums: Aspera Hiems Symfonia, La Masuerade Infernale, The Sham Mirrors and Sideshow Symphonies
1 Remix album: Disguised Masters
1 Compilation of of My Angel/Constellation and 2 demos from Aspera I think called Reconstellation

Oh, they also released a remastered version of Aspera that included Reconstellation to which some old fans really dislike the remastering on Aspera. I personally like it a lot.

Phobophile

I looked further at my source at SA and apparently ICS Vortex confirms that Arcturus is definitely back together. But Vortex... ugh.

Blackheim

I like Vortex, his 2 albums with Borknagar, Lamented Souls + The Chaos Path from La Masquerade are all awesome. Never did like Dimmu, but I could not ever get into Sideshow Symphonies no matter how many times I listened to it either. That album should have been so much more than what we ended up with.

I'm more than happy to give it another go with Vortex, who knows ... it may be more of a collaborative effort using both Simen and Garm similar to La Masquerade, which would be pretty great I'd hope.

Sideshow Symphonies was genius, as was all the albums with Garm. I would love to see an album with both vocalists. Either one is fine, though :p I'd probably prefer to just have Garm since he's got a better range, but Vortex's work on Sideshow Symphonies is definitely his best.

Nice surprise, I thought they were gone for good.

NameGenerated

I got my book in today and you guys are right, it's fucking gigantic. The pictures are great though, but no page numbers is disappointing.

Masaki_

So, I really like Burzum's Filosofem. It sounds different from most black metal music I heard and now I'm looking for something similar to it. Any recommendations?

Phobophile

Masaki_ said:
So, I really like Burzum's Filosofem. It sounds different from most black metal music I heard and now I'm looking for something similar to it. Any recommendations?
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Wigrid - Hoffnungstod
Wigrid - Die Asche Eines Lebens (a lot more atmospheric/post-rock influences; came out before post-rock in black metal got really popular)
Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulée
Leviathan - Tenth Sub Level of Suicide

yacobod

Banned
Ravager61 said:

i thought slayer and megadeth were supposed to co-headline on a tour this fall, what happened to that?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Another song from the new Converge record has been released, and fucking hell, it's insane. This band will never stop being awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom