• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been listening to the new Grand Magus album a couple of times now and it's fucking good. They got pretty hyped recently, but it's well deserved. I think it's their strongest output yet, although Iron Will and Hammer of the Nord are also great.

GrandMagus_01_126de9fec6.jpeg

Thanks for reminding me. Now I know how I spend the rest of the evening.

Have to remember to pick that up soon. Still enjoying The Hunt on a near-daily basis on the drive to work and I'm kind of waiting for the guys from For Those About to Rock to review this new album.

Anyone pick up Iced Earth's new offering? Plagues of Babylon has become one of my absolute favorite albums they've released in the past few years. Dystopia was great and all, but the power behind some of these new tracks is just phenomenal. And their cover of Highwayman has been stuck in my head for the past week now.

Shit, that Dio tribute album is finally getting released!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/me...s-featured-on-ronnie-james-dio-tribute-album/

"This Is Your Life" track listing:

01. "Neon Knights" - ANTHRAX *
02. "The Last In Line" - TENACIOUS D *
03. "The Mob Rules" - ADRENALINE MOB
04. "Rainbow In The Dark" - Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher *
05. "Straight Through The Heart" - HALESTORM *
06. "Starstruck" - MOTÖRHEAD with Biff Byford *
07. "Temple Of The King" - SCORPIONS *
08. "Egypt (The Chains Are On)" - DORO
09. "Holy Diver" - KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
10. "Catch The Rainbow" - Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren *
11. "I" - Oni Logan, Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, Brian Tichy *
12. "Man On The Silver Mountain" - Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren *
13. "Ronnie Rising Medley" (featuring "A Light In The Black", "Tarot Woman", "Stargazer", "Kill The King") - METALLICA *
14. "This Is Your Life" - DIO

I'm excited to hear Metallica's medley. Their Merciful Fate medley is great.

Kaladin

I listened to Sunn 0 and I don't get what I'm listening too.

I mean its not bad...just...unique.

I kind of feel the same way. Especially about the collaboration with Ulver.

And I can even dig some drone, and instrumental stuff. I especially like Earth. But Sunn 0))) escapes me.

Kaladin

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/me...s-featured-on-ronnie-james-dio-tribute-album/

04. "Rainbow In The Dark" - Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher *
10. "Catch The Rainbow" - Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren *
12. "Man On The Silver Mountain" - Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren *
13. "Ronnie Rising Medley" (featuring "A Light In The Black", "Tarot Woman", "Stargazer", "Kill The King") - METALLICA *

Get in my veins.

Ugh, Corey Taylor singing Dio? Also, I don't really know Killswitch Engage's music, but their cover of Holy Diver is terrible as well.

Come to think of it, can any of these singers actually stand next to Dio's vocal work on the original songs? Maybe Halford of course, but their voices are completely different. Everybody else I remain completely skeptical about at best.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've wrote to Spotify asking for them to fix this!
You are a good person.

Yikes! Do not want.

Seriously? It's a massacre.

sgjackson

Halford singing Man on the Silver Mountain should be cool.

Ravager61

I kind of feel the same way. Especially about the collaboration with Ulver.

And I can even dig some drone, and instrumental stuff. I especially like Earth. But Sunn 0))) escapes me.
Sunn O))) are one of my favorite bands but I'm pretty into a lot of ambient stuff so that helps a lot. I took a friend to one of their shows and he said it was the worst show he's ever been to. Acquired taste for sure.

Halford singing Man on the Silver Mountain should be cool.

Between that and Tenacious D doing The Last in Line I'm completely sold on this one. Can't wait to get it!
Shame they've got Corey Taylor ding my favorite song on here though... not looking forward to hearing that nearly as much as I would otherwise.

Kaladin

Sunn O))) are one of my favorite bands but I'm pretty into a lot of ambient stuff so that helps a lot. I took a friend to one of their shows and he said it was the worst show he's ever been to. Acquired taste for sure.

I actually think I would enjoy them live. It's kind of a mindset thing though. You have to be in the mood.

Or high.

Melchiah

Been away from the thread (and OT in general) for a while, as the past weeks have been a bit hectic. I guess I've got some catching up to do. Transferred few old cassettes to PC a couple of weeks ago, and here's some rare material of a short-lived black metal project, called Loviatar, from 17 years ago.
http://youtu.be/uG0QoA4N1bw

Loviatar is a blind daughter of Tuoni, the god of death in Finnish mythology. She was said to be the worst of them all. She was impregnated by wind and gave birth to nine sons, the Nine diseases.

Excerpt from the Kalevala
The blind daughter of Tuoni,
Old and wicked witch, Lowyatar,
Worst of all the Death-land women,
Ugliest of Mana's children,
Source of all the host of evils,
All the ills and plagues of Northland,
Black in heart, and soul, and visage,
Evil genius of Lappala,
Made her couch along the wayside,
On the fields of sin and sorrow;
Turned her back upon the East-wind,
To the source of stormy weather,
To the chilling winds of morning.

Featuring A.K. (Bloodhammer, Maleficia) on guitar, and Grief (former member of Black Dawn, ...and Oceans, Enochian Crescent, Throes of Dawn) on drums. I remember the former breathing fire in the freezing winter, outside the water tower we used for rehearsing, when we were recording this. Good old times. =)

It looks like Manowar cancelled their Detroit show today because the promoter "didn't fulfill their obligations", which most likely translates to "no one bought our $100 tickets".

Hopefully they don't cancel Chicago tomorrow.

Also I'm reeeeaaalllllyy hoping House Of Blues as an extra Amon Amarth ticket for tonight. Fuck me for not buying sooner.

Kaladin

It looks like Manowar cancelled their Detroit show today because the promoter "didn't fulfill their obligations", which most likely translates to "no one bought our $100 tickets".

Hopefully they don't cancel Chicago tomorrow.

Also I'm reeeeaaalllllyy hoping House Of Blues as an extra Amon Amarth ticket for tonight. Fuck me for not buying sooner.

Just hang out before the show, someone will have a ticket they need to sell. I checked craigslist and nothing is there. I'm sure there are other venues you can check like the Facebook event posting or the band's page.

Someone will have another ticket.

Edit: You're SOL on the Facebook event page, more people looking and no one selling.

Just hang out before the show, someone will have a ticket they need to sell. I checked craigslist and nothing is there. I'm sure there are other venues you can check like the Facebook event posting or the band's page.

Someone will have another ticket.

Edit: You're SOL on the Facebook event page, more people looking and no one selling.

Damn, I really didn't know AA was that big. I never paid attention to concerts, but I know people are always trying to sell tickets outside of sporting events. I'll take a chance tonight.

Kaladin

Damn, I really didn't know AA was that big. I never paid attention to concerts, but I know people are always trying to sell tickets outside of sporting events. I'll take a chance tonight.

Yeah, there's always someone outside with an extra ticket because someone decided to be lame and stay at home.

ShaneB

Yeah, no doubt there will be scalpers there.

The first Blind Guardian show I went to back in 2006 I couldn't get a ticket, and just ended up going down and buying from a scalper. Overpaid no doubt, but it was worth every penny.

Doomshine

I don't know... I might just go rewatch the Dio Memorial Gala videos on Youtube.

Just got back from the Amon Amarth show. Holy Fuck.

Skeletonwitch was fucking awesome, Enslaved was really great but not as "heavy" as I thought given the other two acts, and AA fucking killed it.

Also the front men for Enslaved and AA seem like such cool cats.

So glad I paid the extra $$ to go to the show. So fucking worth it!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Yeah I watched both of those awhile back. The complete history one is really well done and the world tour one is pretty entertaining too. I have a mancrush on Alex Webster.

Ugh, Corey Taylor singing Dio? Also, I don't really know Killswitch Engage's music, but their cover of Holy Diver is terrible as well.

Come to think of it, can any of these singers actually stand next to Dio's vocal work on the original songs? Maybe Halford of course, but their voices are completely different. Everybody else I remain completely skeptical about at best.

Glenn Hughes can definitely still belt it out. Check out Black Country Communion. But yeah, other than Rob Halford and Glenn, I can't see anyone else matching Dio's range. I also wonder if Biff Byford (Saxon) can still sing.

With the departure of CMI, we find it a fitting time to announce that the next release of GRAVE UPHEAVAL will be a 5 way split 12" LP with each band doing a cover in their own style of a Cold Meat Industry artist. This hasn't come about due to the death of CMI but something that has been slowly upheaving over the past couple years and should see a release this year via Psychedelic Lotus Order.

The bands involved and what they are covering:

ANTEDILUVIAN - Raison D'etre
GRAVE UPHEAVAL - Brighter Death Now
SINISTROUS DIABOLUS - Aghast
TEMPLE NIGHTSIDE - Arcana
VASSAFOR - MZ 412
A sample from Grave Upheaval's cover.
And the original for comparison.

It will be interesting to hear the other covers.
Been away from the thread (and OT in general) for a while, as the past weeks have been a bit hectic. I guess I've got some catching up to do. Transferred few old cassettes to PC a couple of weeks ago, and here's some rare material of a short-lived black metal project, called Loviatar, from 17 years ago.
http://youtu.be/uG0QoA4N1bw

Featuring A.K. (Bloodhammer, Maleficia) on guitar, and Grief (former member of Black Dawn, ...and Oceans, Enochian Crescent, Throes of Dawn) on drums. I remember the former breathing fire in the freezing winter, outside the water tower we used for rehearsing, when we were recording this. Good old times. =)
I like it. The sound is pretty good for a rehearsal.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ha, the amount of material that is uploaded onto Youtube is crazy. Full concerts, albums, rare tracks, and so much more galore. It's pretty insane, and I've used Youtube far more when the amount of this type of material REALLY started to show up.

Metal Blade actually uploaded a bunch of their own DVDs themselves. I guess they figured people were gonna do it anyway.

Ha, the amount of material that is uploaded onto Youtube is crazy. Full concerts, albums, rare tracks, and so much more galore. It's pretty insane, and I've used Youtube far more when the amount of this type of material REALLY started to show up.

Yeah, YouTube has been great with all these live shows and out of print stuff videos. I used to tape trade and buy a lot of the bootleg/out of print stuff long before YouTube, but YouTube is a blessing now.

Glenn Hughes can definitely still belt it out. Check out Black Country Communion. But yeah, other than Rob Halford and Glenn, I can't see anyone else matching Dio's range. I also wonder if Biff Byford (Saxon) can still sing.

These tributes are always hit or miss, IMO, even amongst the best metal singers. I just feel that Dio's songs in general really only work with his voice only, but that's just my personal opinion. Not taking away the talents of the singers you mentioned, though.

Metal Blade actually uploaded a bunch of their own DVDs themselves. I guess they figured people were gonna do it anyway.

I love it when studios release their own material first hand. Shows how cool they can be.

Yeah, YouTube has been great with all these live shows and out of print stuff videos. I used to tape trade and buy a lot of the bootleg/out of print stuff long before YouTube, but YouTube is a blessing now.

I used Youtube to listen to a ton of Black Metal albums that I would never be able to find otherwise, among other things. Since streaming quality is obviously crappy compared to disc, it sometimes adds to the music's rawness. It works well, heh.

Melchiah

I like it. The sound is pretty good for a rehearsal.

Yeah, that old water tower had surprisingly good acoustics for rehearsal recordings, unlike many of our later rehearsal places. That was the first and last time we played with the project. I don't really remember why it ended. Perhaps because the guitarist moved back to northern Finland, and my other band got more active again.

On a side note, I found this live recording of Mare's Sort Messe hypnotic in its ambient-like nature.

zsswimmer

Any of yall ever heard of this artist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZLtzchX32c
Pretty sick instrumental/progressive metal artist. I just started getting into the subgenre, originally starting with electronic/djent combo band The Algorithm and more recently TesseracT. Any suggestions for similar bands? I listen to all types of metal but this progressive stuff has been hooking me lately. I know Animals as Leaders are good instrumental band as well.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Wow the new Behemoth album, Satanist, is fuckin ungodly awesome!! Its already in my AOTY list thus far. Almost no fuckin filler...like a track and a half but overall one of the best albums released this year to date. I highly recommend you guys buy the album. Its worth it.

Audible "Grrr!"

That's an acceptable way to start a post, right? (Right!)

I am on the verge of pulling strands of my luscious locks out trying to think of a specific band and album. It was a symphonic black metal record, that I BELIEVE came out early last year (or maybe late 2012). It was about war, and the only specifics I have beyond that is that I recall a specific section of a song where one of the soldiers in the story is breathing heavily in and out in rhythm to the music (a moment that obviously left an impact on me, which is way I remember it)

The cover of the album had all of the band members on it in corpse paint (I think four or five dudes), and the name of the band started with... I want to say C? Or maybe A.

So again... Grrr! I've been wanting to jam on this record all night, and I know I listened to it several times through last year, but I can't for the life of me remember it.

I also know that this thread specifically turned me on to the album, so you fine blokes have definitely discussed it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom