• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ha, the amount of material that is uploaded onto Youtube is crazy. Full concerts, albums, rare tracks, and so much more galore. It's pretty insane, and I've used Youtube far more when the amount of this type of material REALLY started to show up.

Yeah, whole concert DVDs are up (Kreator, Judas Priest...). Awesome :p

Audible "Grrr!"

That's an acceptable way to start a post, right? (Right!)

I am on the verge of pulling strands of my luscious locks out trying to think of a specific band and album. It was a symphonic black metal record, that I BELIEVE came out early last year (or maybe late 2012). It was about war, and the only specifics I have beyond that is that I recall a specific section of a song where one of the soldiers in the story is breathing heavily in and out in rhythm to the music (a moment that obviously left an impact on me, which is way I remember it)

The cover of the album had all of the band members on it in corpse paint (I think four or five dudes), and the name of the band started with... I want to say C? Or maybe A.

So again... Grrr! I've been wanting to jam on this record all night, and I know I listened to it several times through last year, but I can't for the life of me remember it.

I also know that this thread specifically turned me on to the album, so you fine blokes have definitely discussed it before.

Are you sure you didn't eat it :p

Man, with all the shit that happened with Manowar tour I'm glad it wasn't cancelled in Chicago. Even though a last minute venue change caused some noticeable technical issues(the previous venue's roof started to fall apart), it was one of the better metal shows I've been to. And they play LOUD. The entire room was shaking. sooogood.gif

Also, they announced at the show they are coming back to Chicago Nov. 15th!

Kaladin

The Metal Thread |OT2| Windmills Powered by Sound Waves

headbang.gif

rObit

Banned
Any of yall ever heard of this artist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZLtzchX32c
Pretty sick instrumental/progressive metal artist. I just started getting into the subgenre, originally starting with electronic/djent combo band The Algorithm and more recently TesseracT. Any suggestions for similar bands? I listen to all types of metal but this progressive stuff has been hooking me lately. I know Animals as Leaders are good instrumental band as well.

I actually haven't heard of this guy, he's pretty damn good.

Here's some suggestions:

Gru
Intervals
Sithu Aye
Scale the Summit
Plastic Mind Frequencies

SOME-MIST

I actually haven't heard of this guy, he's pretty damn good.

Here's some suggestions:

Gru
Intervals
Sithu Aye
Scale the Summit
Plastic Mind Frequencies
in addition to this reply...
there's a lot of non-instrumental djent like Periphery (or Bulb's solo work), Vildhjarta, Structures, Volumes, etc.. I'm not a huge djent fan even hough I've seen Meshuggah live 4 times (I don't consider them djent) and my friend had me go to the Vildhjarta show since it was their first time in the U.S.

I primarily listen to instrumental metal, and this might stray a bit... but

instrumental djent/progressive/metal
cloudkicker
chimp spanner

instrumental tech metal/progressive/avant garde
exivious
blotted science
ron jarzombek (solo work)
indricothere (colin marston solo work)
behold... the arctopus (now you know where I got my username from :p)
dysrhythmia
zevious
canvas solaris
gordian knot
allan holdsworth
chad wackerman
mick barr
the flying luttenbachers

instrumental math rock/post rock/indie/jazz
t.r.a.m.
toe
mouse on the keys
hella (most albums)
trioscapes
evan brewer

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I was in the mood for some brutal fucking heavy stuff, so naturally I fired up Cryptopsy's No So Vile. I think I need a shower now.

Anyhoo, was reading around about the band, and one outlet referred to them as "almost supernaturally brutal death metal band". Got a good chuckle and agreement out of that.

Love the new OT2 title suggestions lol. Can't wait to see what someone does for a true OP. When I started this thread long ago, there wasn't any place to discuss my favorite genre of music here in the OT. Will be sad to see this thread go, but it had a good run!

I may not post in here often, or often on GAF at all, as I'm a lurker at heart, but I read this thread all the time and have discovered so many bands in its environs.

SOME-MIST

I loved traced in the air about as much as I loved focus, but I really disliked carbon-based anatomy.

after the first spin, I hear influences from all their work... but it's completely different. I like it when not comparing it to Focus or Traced.

they've sort of strayed from their metal roots which is why I prefer Exivious... and why I like to think Tymon and Robin left Cynic and made Exivious a main project.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Men Play On 10

The Metal Thread |OT2| Death to the false ones

The Metal Thread |OT2| If you're not into Metal - you are not our friend!

The Metal Thread |OT2| Sign of the Hammer Be Our Guide

Manowar titles FTW

Guys, in addition to coming up with a treasure trove of excellent subtitle names for the new thread, we should also probably, ya know, figure out what the content of the first post(s) will be :p

I think it should be a collaborative effort, since we have so many varied tastes in here. Maybe anyone that is interested could write up certain snippets about bands they are passionate about, so that the first post will contain a snapshot of the overall interests of the community? It would probably be helpful for newcomers as well.

Also, whoever does the thread, don't forget to post it in Off-Topic! I'm pretty sure new megathreads can be posted in OT, and then get moved to the community section after a few days or something.

We're... probably between two to three weeks out from the impending Official Thread 2pocalypse, so we should start figuring out content soon! The new thread WILL be our new home for the net half-decade, after all. We may as well make it a nice one!

Toparaman

Banned
Love Mastodon, but I don't see where they can go from The Hunter. I'm guessing this will be their first album that sounds like a rehash of their previous stuff.

I'll have to listen to the new Cynic some time. I thought Traced in Air was awesome.

Flynn

We talked about this before but would be cool to put some genre recommendations in the OP.

I know every so often people show up and are like, "I want more metal like Maiden/Opeth/etc. etc." Would be cool to collect some of those answers we've give.

Genre primers would be cool too.

I'd be glad to work up some Spotify playlists based on these lists if we do wind up doing something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom