• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
Try The Red in the Sky Is Ours some time, you might like it more. I'm not such a big fan myself, I think it's a little... dry? maybe, but it's nothing like their melodeath albums at all.

I think FACE would have less than a 10% chance of liking it. I'd recommend passing bases on his tastes.

I listened to the title track on youtube, meh.

Do you dislike that genre? If so, I can give you a long list of other albums you won't like.

I like Necroticism, does that count?

I'd rate SOTS as my favourite At the Gates album. It was one of those gateway albums that got me into extreme metal to begin with, but its still enjoyable as hell today and doesn't suffer from the horrible production the earlier stuff does.

Though there are some songs I really like from early on such as City of Screaming Statues and Souls of the Evil Departed.

XShagrath

So? How was Moonspell? Can you post the setlist? :)
It was pretty good. Really small show with maybe 200 people there. Both Atrocity and Leaves' Eyes had good sets. I hadn't really heard Atrocity before, but they sounded pretty good. The couple older songs they played reminded me of older Sepultura stuff.

Anyways, here's Moonspell's set from Ft. Lauderdale (the night before). It looks pretty much the same, if not exact.

Axis Mundi
Alpha Noir
Finisterra
Opium
Nocturna
Scorpion Flower
Lickanthrope
Love Is Blasphemy
Em nome do medo
Vampiria
Alma Mater
Everything Invaded
Full Moon Madness

Wut? For real or is that a typo?

It might have been longer.

We take the sensation of the passing of time for granted. A minute, an hour... these metrics are understood and measured against observable natural phenomenon. The Bermuda Triangle is the closest thing we have to a phenomenon like Cult of Luna shows, but in this case it is man made.

I like Necroticism, does that count?
Necroticism is actually a pretty good comparison to their first mlp Gardens of Grief.
You should give that one a try. It's available in full on youtube.

I'll shut up about Gardens of Grief now as it seems i'm the only one here who likes it.
all this At The Gates talk, i think we need to bring it back a few notches with Sadistik Exekution, fukk!

Argh, probably the most insane death metal band ever.

This live version of Agonizing the Dead is fukkin mental!

obin_gam

Been listening to Vektor and Skeletonwitch these past few days.
Their blackend:ish thrash sound is great when it's cold outside and sunny. They also got this similar groove to one another so to have them together in a shuffled spotifyplaylist fits really well.

Best songs for the moment Outer Isolation from Vektor and This Horrifying Force from Skeletonwitch

Watevaman

Been listening to Vektor and Skeletonwitch these past few days.
Their blackend:ish thrash sound is great when it's cold outside and sunny. They also got this similar groove to one another so to have them together in a shuffled spotifyplaylist fits really well.

Best songs for the moment Outer Isolation from Vektor and This Horrifying Force from Skeletonwitch

Vektor is such a mood band for me. If I'm not in the right state of mind I can't stand it but when I am its awesome stuff.

Also, blasphemy time, but am I the only one who prefers Hetfield's vocals on some of the Mercyful Fate stuff in their medley? I love King but some of his falsetto stuff doesn't sit right with me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Satan returns to North America!
1511205_735835599760209_344906143_n.jpg

Seen them last summer at Wings of Metal (*obligatory pushes up glasses*), they were absolutely fantastic. If you live in the area of one those cities, do yourself a favour and go watch them.

Necroticism is actually a pretty good comparison to their first mlp Gardens of Grief.
You should give that one a try. It's available in full on youtube.

I'll shut up about Gardens of Grief now as it seems i'm the only one here who likes it.

Argh, probably the most insane death metal band ever.

This live version of Agonizing the Dead is fukkin mental!

Gardens of Grief is a fun little ep, little too short for me to consider it great though. I do love the live version of All Life Ends though, fucking badass.

and yea Sadistik Exekution is nuts. Reminds me of old Kataklysm with Sylvain Houde being a beast.

One the topic of insane death metal...
Impetuous Ritual's second album has just been announced. Their first album was completely crazy and evil as hell.

Convoluting unto Despondent Anachronism
Inexorable Blasphemies
Both from their first album, Relentless Execution of Ceremonial Excrescence.
and yea Sadistik Exekution is nuts. Reminds me of old Kataklysm with Sylvain Houde being a beast.
Quite literally insane, as the vocalist is schizophrenic.

Bonus video of the Sadistik Exekution drummer, Sloth, on the reality show Wife Swap.

So I got pointed over here and am shocked and disgusted with myself for not posting sooner. Just going to jump right in and share a band I'm really digging at the moment. They're very avante-garde black metal, towering riffs, crushing atmosphere and cyclopean drumming all contributing to a wonderfully dark and madness dipped sound. You guys have probably been listening to them for months. Anyway if anyone knows bands with similar sounds I'd love to know.

Dodecahedron - I, Chronocrator

sgjackson

So I got pointed over here and am shocked and disgusted with myself for not posting sooner. Just going to jump right in and share a band I'm really digging at the moment. They're very avante-garde black metal, towering riffs, crushing atmosphere and cyclopean drumming all contributing to a wonderfully dark and madness dipped sound. You guys have probably been listening to them for months. Anyway if anyone knows bands with similar sounds I'd love to know.

Dodecahedron - I, Chronocrator

Yeah, the opening riff to Allfather has been stuck in my head for years. This was one of my favs from 2012. Outside of the obvious avant-garde BM suggestions (Deathspell Omega, Blut aus Nord, etc) I don't really know any bands like them though, so I'd be interested in suggestions as well.

Yeah, the opening riff to Allfather has been stuck in my head for years. This was one of my favs from 2012. Outside of the obvious avant-garde BM suggestions (Deathspell Omega, Blut aus Nord, etc) I don't really know any bands like them though, so I'd be interested in suggestions as well.

Ever tried Sigh's Imaginary Soundscapes? That's a weird album, but an enjoyable one.

Watevaman

Sigh is so great. Definitely mad I missed their show a few years back. Haven't seen anything about them performing nearby since then.

Watevaman

In Somniphobia is their latest full length, it's a good album.

It's cool to hear how their sound progressed from Scorn Defeat up to IS.

kottila

Mastodon, Gojira and Kvelertak touring NA (I'm seeing Kvelertak tomorrow!)

503.jpg

4/29 – Portland, Ore. @ Roseland Theater
05/01 – Oakland, Calif. @ Fox Theater
05/02 - Los Angeles, Calif. @ Nokia Theater
05/03 - Las Vegas, Nev. @ House of Blues
05/07 - Minneapolis, Minn. @ First Avenue
05/08 - Chicago, Ill. @ The Riviera Theater
05/09 - Pittsburgh, Pa. @ Stage AE
05/12 - Buffalo, N.Y. @ The Town Ballroom
05/13 - Washington, D.C. @ 9:30 Club
05/15 - New York, N.Y. @ Terminal 5
05/16 - Boston, Mass. @ The Palladium
05/17 - Philadelphia, Pa. @ Electric Factory
05/18 - Columbus, Ohio @ Rock On The Range

Kaladin

I'm of the opinion that every Mastodon headlining tour should at least come to Atlanta....I'd love to see that package in the southeast.

Kaladin

If it's getting close to time for a new thread.....we should discuss topics for OT2.

The Metal Thread |OT2| \m/ 0,0 \m/

The Metal Thread |OT2| We promise it won't take us 8 years to make the next thread

We should spell the title so it's somewhat weird to read, like many band logos

/v\£┬α┴

Edit: I know its hard to tell over the internets, but I'm not being serious.I dont like those just as much as many of you.

Kaladin

We should spell the title so it's somewhat weird to read, like many band logos

/v\£┬α┴

I'm not familiar with things like that, but as I learned in wrasslin thread, you can't diverge from the main topic or there will be a riot from the people who lurk and mods will change it to the regular topic. We had a Triple H |OT| Month Wrasslin' topic and mods were forced to change it due to complaints of people who don't even normally post not being able to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom