• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I don't really like the new Baroness album at all, but Crack the Skye is laughably bad at times. I don't want to get into one of those debates, so I'll just wrap things up by saying that both albums are bad.

yacobod

Banned
to touch on black sabbath, i used to be firmly in the dio era >> ozzy era camp, but i recently have revisited ozzy era sabbath, which i probably havent listened to seriously in over 10 years (i'm 28 btw)

now there's no way i can say with a straight face that dio era is better anymore, master of reality, vol. 4, and sabbath bloody sabbath are absolutely essential metal, is there a heavier riff known to man than the intro to into the fucking void????

while heaven and hell and the mob rules are good, they dont touch the best of the early era imo, and dehumanizer is very underrated as far as dio era albums are concerned

wRATH2x

Banned
yacobod said:
hrmmmm, now here's a post from less than a week ago

RIGHT :/

:lol
Painkiller, Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel, a greatest hits album and one live DVD are not what I consider most of their work since they have released a ton of albums. I still am a big fan, admittedly a recent one( it's been like 3 years.)

wRATH2x

Banned
Now I fucking love Dio, the man has the heavy metal voice IMO. But I have always been about Ozzie Black Sabbath. Master Of Reality is the best Black Sabbath album, and all the other Ozzie era Sabbath albums cast a huge shadow over their work with Dio. Heaven and Hell is a classic, but I'd take Master Of Reality, Paranoid and Black Sabbath over it any day of the week.

Dio's solo career>Ozzie's though.

I also wanted to ask, why do some people consider AC/DC heavy metal? I love AC/DC and grew up listening to them. But I always saw them as more Rock & Roll than heavy metal.

And whats our stance on Led Zeppelin?

No doubt Dio is a fantastic singer, but he's been stuck on the same "Man on the Silver Mountain" warlock shtick since Rainbow. At least Ozzy has delved into different sounds.

Man it's rare I agree with everybody on a page of this thread. =) Master of Reality is my favourite Sabbath album, Into the Void my favourite song and Sabotage another personal favourite. (Symptom of the Universe <3)
I like the Dio era for what it is and I've seen them live but it's something totally different. I think his best work is on the two Rainbow albums.

Wrath2X said:
And whats our stance on Led Zeppelin?
Led Zeppelin were hardrock / heavy rock in parts (but also folk, prog and whatever else) and of course had a huge influence on the genre as well. I don't think you can call them a heavy metal band because of that but they certainly helped shaping the genre in the early days.
I mean their sound was huge in the early 70s before they became funky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mTYPP_cex0&feature=related

I also don't see why AC/DC areconsidered metal by some, though.

I love bringing this up in Dio threads:

Ronnie James Dio (Ronald Padova) circa 1958

314ynaa.jpg

Ronnie & The Red Caps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmbuHKuyDRc

Ronnie Dio & The Prophets (1962):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ3OjffJ1w0

He's a true rock veteran.

yacobod

Banned
ac/dc and zep are not metal imo, if i had to categorize ac/dc it would fall under the umbrella of hard rock, u can lump them in with the van halen, motley crue, gnr etc

the 2 biggest metal influences from the 70s are w/out a doubt Sabbath and Priest, priest is the next logical jump from Sabbath imo as far as metal progression, priest gave birth to speed/power/thrash

wRATH2x

Banned
DieNgamers said:
Man it's rare I agree with everybody on a page of this thread. =) Master of Reality is my favourite Sabbath album, Into the Void my favourite song and Sabotage another personal favourite. (Symptom of the Universe <3)
I like the Dio era for what it is and I've seen them live but it's something totally different. I think his best work is on the two Rainbow albums.
Into The Void is easily the best Black Sabbath song ever, and quite possibly the best Heavy Metal track ever.
Led Zeppelin were hardrock / heavy rock in parts (but also folk, prog and whatever else) and of course had a huge influence on the genre as well. I don't think you can call them a heavy metal band because of that but they certainly helped shaping the genre in the early days.
I mean their sound was huge in the early 70s before they became funky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mTYPP_cex0&feature=related
The reason I asked is because you can say they were a huge influence on Heavy Metal, at least early on. A couple of their tracks could pass as heavy metal, and Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are big influences on almost every Heavy Metal frontman and guitarist, and Bonham's was also a huge influence.

Many see them as a Heavy Metal band, I on the other hand see the term Hard Rock fits them, but not perfectly and I can see why some may call them Heavy Metal.

AC/DC on the other hand are pure Rock & Roll. Sure their an influence, but I never think Heavy Metal when I think AC/DC.

yacobod

Banned
while into the void is the heaviest riff, i think supernaut is the best sabbath riff, so so so awesome

i dont think zep is metal just because sabbath was releasing albums in the same era, i think zep first album debuted in 69 and sabbath in 70, and one is clearly a lot heavier than the other

even thematically sabbath kind of paved the way for what most metal bands would sing about the future

wRATH2x

Banned
yacobod said:
ac/dc and zep are not metal imo, if i had to categorize ac/dc it would fall under the umbrella of hard rock, u can lump them in with the van halen, motley crue, gnr etc
And here come three other bands that I hear are Heavy Metal but really are Rock. I love me some Van Halen, but they are Hard Rock and the Hagar era pushed them further than anything Metal. Guns N Roses were the last great Rock N Roll band, that was until Axl ruined shit. But again not Metal. Motley Crue were "Hair Metal" or "Glam Metal", they were the only good band to come out of that. I might say their Heavy Metal, but that would be really pushing it.

the 2 biggest metal influences from the 70s are w/out a doubt Sabbath and Priest, priest is the next logical jump from Sabbath imo as far as metal progression, priest gave birth to speed/power/thrash
Thats true, and you can lump Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Metallica in their as well.

And just curious, what are your opinions on AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Van Halen and Guns N' Roses?

Heres Mine:

AC/DC: Easily one of the greatest bands ever, stayed consistent and relevant throughout all these years. Angus is still one of the most recognizable guitarists in the world and with good reason.

Led Zeppelin: They deserve all the recognition and praise they have been getting all these years, during their run they were truly amazing.

Motley Crue: The only good "Hair Metal" band, they had a good run in the 80's. They sucked in th 90's, and they have been alright this last decade.

Van Halen: Amazing when they first started, Eddie Van Halen is the best guitarist ever IMO. when they started to spam the keyboard and got Sammy Hagar they got really fucking annoying. "Jump" always sucked.

Wrath2X said:
The reason I asked is because you can say they were a huge influence on Heavy Metal, at least early on. A couple of their tracks could pass as heavy metal, and Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are big influences on almost every Heavy Metal frontman and guitarist, and Bonham's was also a huge influence.

Many see them as a Heavy Metal band, I on the other hand see the term Hard Rock fits them, but not perfectly and I can see why some may call them Heavy Metal.

AC/DC on the other hand are pure Rock & Roll. Sure their an influence, but I never think Heavy Metal when I think AC/DC.
Nobody can really claim to be right about it but yep, that's what I think as well. Zeppelin had some classic heavy metal songs, no doubt about it.
yacobod said:
While I sort of agree with BS and JP being the two big metal bands of the 70s, I think the speed metal/power also comes from the Deep Purple and especially Rainbow side of things:
light in the black
kill the king (especially after 2:01 where the solo kicks in)
...and UFO, who rocked hard and fast pretty early in that regard:
let it roll
Back to Sabbath, I'd also say this is almost thrashy (life version because it kicks ass and I don't find the studio one at the moment :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDXgyU9ObzA

FFChris

Dr. Strangelove said:
I don't really like the new Baroness album at all, but Crack the Skye is laughably bad at times.

Well hold on a momen..

Dr. Strangelove said:
I don't want to get into one of those debates, so I'll just wrap things up by saying that both albums are bad.

Oh, right. Great.

yacobod

Banned
i'll tackle some of this for fun

van halen: fun band until DLR left, DLR was the prototype for every other cockrock band that came out in the 80s, Vince Neil and Brett Michaels wish they were DLR, he was probably my favorite front man for this type of music, some favorite songs include Unchained, Panama, I'm the One, On Fire, Hot for Teacher

motley crue: the best cockrock band if you dont include van halen, shout at the devil is a pretty awesome record, but the rest of their output is pretty hit and miss, pretty much a singles band, stuff like Girls, Girls, Girls, Kickstart My Heart, Wild Side are cockrock anthems, but those albums suck as a whole

ac/dc: great band, see them live last october and they were still great live, too many good songs to list, also quite a bit of crap, but the good outweighs the bad, and when you buy an ac/dc record, you know exactly know what to expect, probably the most consistent band around, also deserve props because they were able to move on after losing bon scott while still releasing a classic album in back in black, and another good one in the razor's edge

led zeppelin: i have all their records, but i'm not a huge fan personally

gnr: appetite for destruction is probably the best cockrock/hair metal album, UYI I&II are pretty uneven

i think WASP is criminally underrated in the realm of 80s glam/cockrock/hair

iron maiden: pretty awesome band, the first two with paul dianno on lead vocals are very underrated, i recommend anyone check them out, because the material on them is just as good as the golden era stuff imo, albeit with more of a punk rock sound, golden era maiden NoTB, PoM, Powerslave, LaD, SiT, SSoaSS are all awesome metal albums, they kinda of went to crap after adrian smith left the band

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I don't know much about WASP, I've only heard one song by them (Hellion, only because Children Of Bodom covered it so I checked out the original) but I always got the vibe that they were more of a traditional heavy metal band rather than glam/hair. At least from what I've read.

wRATH2x

Banned
yacobod said:

van halen: fun band until DLR left, DLR was the prototype for every other cockrock band that came out in the 80s, Vince Neil and Brett Michaels wish they were DLR, he was probably my favorite front man for this type of music, some favorite songs include Unchained, Panama, I'm the One, On Fire, Hot for Teacher

motley crue: the best cockrock band if you dont include van halen, shout at the devil is a pretty awesome record, but the rest of their output is pretty hit and miss, pretty much a singles band, stuff like Girls, Girls, Girls, Kickstart My Heart, Wild Side are cockrock anthems, but those albums suck as a whole

ac/dc: great band, see them live last october and they were still great live, too many good songs to list, also quite a bit of crap, but the good outweighs the bad, and when you buy an ac/dc record, you know exactly know what to expect, probably the most consistent band around, also deserve props because they were able to move on after losing bon scott while still releasing a classic album in back in black, and another good one in the razor's edge

gnr: appetite for destruction is probably the best cockrock/hair metal album, UYI I&II are pretty uneven

iron maiden: pretty awesome band, the first two with paul dianno on lead vocals are very underrated, i recommend anyone check them out, because the material on them is just as good as the golden era stuff imo, albeit with more of a punk rock sound, golden era maiden NoTB, PoM, Powerslave, LaD, SiT, SSoaSS are all awesome metal albums, they kinda of went to crap after adrian smith left the band
Good taste man, I was never a fan of WASP though. Like I said, the only hair metal band I ever liked was Motley Crue. I don't know if Bon Jovi are Hair Metal, but I always liked them too.

:lol @ Cockrock.

This is pretty fun, lets do this with metal bands. Who would like to start us off.

PELICAN Announce In-Store Performances; Pelican Burger Unveiled; CD Pre-order with exclusive content begins Tuesday

In anticipation of the release of their fourth full length, What We All Come To Need, PELICAN will celebrate with an in store performance on October 16th at Chicago’s Reckless Records followed by an album listening party at 11:30 pm at Kuma`s Corner (www.myspace.com/kumascorner), a renowned restaurant/bar responsible for dozens of burgers named for fellow members of the Metal pantheon. Here they'll unleash the "Pelican Burger"; a ten ounce Kobe Beef patty, with pan seared scallops and lardons, in a garlic white wine sauce on top of a parmesan crisp, and served with white wine-garlic Aioli!

l_26a8fe69f674453b83284b685b375874.jpg

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I was just at Kuma's a few weeks ago but I guess I have another reason to go.

(Their Kobe beef sloppy joe was phenomenal)

G.O.O.

So I listened to a few Samael songs this morning (Rain, Slavocracy, Jupiterian Vibe). It didn't drown me in awesomeness but there's something that made me want to hear more from them. Can someone give me recommendations ? (I usually love industrial works if that can help)

G.O.O. said:
So I listened to a few Samael songs this morning (Rain, Slavocracy, Jupiterian Vibe). It didn't drown me in awesomeness but there's something that made me want to hear more from them. Can someone give me recommendations ? (I usually love industrial works if that can help)

Ceremony Of The Opposites
Ceremony%20of%20Opposites.jpg

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
yacobod said:

I also kinda like the Dianno Maiden albums if only for their influence on US power metal. They were way more riff driven than the triple harmonies/triplet leads on Dickenson era albums, which gets really old really fast. Without those first two albums I wouldn't have Omen, one of my favorite bands.

G.O.O.

wow, harsh :lol

Giant Robot said:
Ceremony Of The Opposites
http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/S/Samael/Ceremony%20of%20Opposites/Ceremony%20of%20Opposites.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Thanks !

*looks a few posts earlier*

*hates AC/DC's voice, battery and music in general*

Mileena

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:
I don't really like the new Baroness album at all, but Crack the Skye is laughably bad at times. I don't want to get into one of those debates, so I'll just wrap things up by saying that both albums are bad.
what the I don't even

Dr. Strangelove said:

Crack the Skye is an amazing & intricate album that manages to avoid cliche at almost every point. You're wrong in saying it's laughably bad.

It does have one weaker track, viz. Quintessence. And there are one or two moments when their better songs take a turn for the worse (e.g. the funky riff about 4 minutes into the Czar track). But overall it's one of the most original pop albums I've heard in months (and, yeah, metal is pop).

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I don't consider Mastodon watering down their sound to more palatable prog-rock influenced pretentiousness to be amazing or even good. Remission still has progressive elements but it doesn't dull their aggressive edge in favor of radio pop-rock sensibilities. Crack the Skye, Blood Mountain, and to a lesser extent Leviathan are all largely flat albums that try to stretch in multiple directions, but ultimately fail at most.

Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye are melodically much more sophisicated than Remission, tho. Complex, varied riffs; unpredictable changes & breaks; great vocal melodies and phrasing. I'd say these albums are more mature than their early stuff.

Whether they've watered down their sound.. well, that might be true. I guess for some people that's an important characteristic of musical quality. Song writing & composing count for much more, in my opinion.

(I still think Leviathan might be their best--there are just so many memorable tracks on that album.)

Alright Metal-GAF, I'm back for a second round. I came in here earlier listening to Dreamtheater and had just bought my first Opeth album, but didnt like the harsh vocal sections. Was recommended Symphony X, Ayreon, Seventh Wonder, Vanden Plas, and Pain of Salvation. Here's my impressions:

Symphony X (Based on Odyssey, Paradise Lost, Twilight in Olympus, Divine Wings of Tragedy): This is an excellent group, very similar in tone to early Dreamtheater and just what I was hoping for from recommendations based on my original post. Spot on choice, thank you.

Seventh Wonder (Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls, Become): Not a big fan of Become, it feels like the group was still finding their sound and learning what they wanted to do. The later two albums have them defining their comfort zone (as well as finding a better vocalist, imo), and they are an excellent choice as well for the Dreamtheater fan.

Vanden Plas(Beyond Daylight): Im sorry. I love the instrumentals, but the vocalist just kills it for me. I thought I could look past it at first like I did with Opeth, but no go. Appreciate the suggestion anyway.

Pain of Salvation (Remedy Lane, Perfect Element): I admit I have not listened to these albums more than once or twice, but so far it doesn't seem right for me. I'll try and see if they grow on me, but with albums from other groups that immediately connected with what I was looking for, these have sort of fallen by the wayside.

Ayreon: didnt buy anything

Opeth(Ghost Reveries, Coil, Deliverance): This group has grown on me tremendously. I now find the harsh guttural vocals more than listenable, and they have become one of my preferred bands to cycle through on my music programs. Also picked up the Candlelight Years and listened to some tracks off one of the 3 discs, but it didnt strike the same chords with me and I don't like those albums as much.

So there you go Metal-GAF. My opinions on your first batch of recommendations. Many thanks to those who sent me advice on what to get, but now I'm looking for more! Based off what you see of my interests above, toss some names and favorite albums at me that you think would suit me, and I'll scope them out. Thanks in advance.

Ceres

Banned
Sounds like you need to give Circus Maximus a try. Probably go with 1st Chapter over their latest but either album would probably be fine.

blahness

Dr. Strangelove said:
I don't consider Mastodon watering down their sound to more palatable prog-rock influenced pretentiousness to be amazing or even good. Remission still has progressive elements but it doesn't dull their aggressive edge in favor of radio pop-rock sensibilities. Crack the Skye, Blood Mountain, and to a lesser extent Leviathan are all largely flat albums that try to stretch in multiple directions, but ultimately fail at most.
I agree and if I may add one thing, the vocalist has been changing his vocals since remission and with Crack the Skye he has fully achieved his possible goal. He can now compete as a vocalist in an Ozzy tribute band.

Enosh

listening to the new Arch Enemy album with the old songs by now with Angela as the singer...

idk, I liked the old versions better, maybe it's just beacose I am so familiar with them

Ravager61

blahness said:
I agree and if I may add one thing, the vocalist has been changing his vocals since remission and with Crack the Skye he has fully achieved his possible goal. He can now compete as a vocalist in an Ozzy tribute band.

If you think he's bad on the album, you should hear them live. He is laughably bad.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
5pq134.jpg

Can anyone recommend me some songs like Tomhet off of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss? I listened to it 4 times in a row last night while I was lying bed and realized how amazing I think it is, at least, in that situation. Are the later Burzum albums like this? I only have up to Filosofem.

Ravager61

NameGenerated said:
Can anyone recommend me some songs like Tomhet off of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss? I listened to it 4 times in a row last night while I was lying bed and realized how amazing I think it is, at least, in that situation. Are the later Burzum albums like this? I only have up to Filosofem.

Hlidskjalf is pretty good. Honestly though its been a while since I listened to it.

Ildjarn - Hardangervidda is also really good if you are into ambient keyboard stuff.

NameGenerated said:

slighlty different, but Summoning is pretty good. Not entirely keyboard/synths, but has really awesome guitar melodies/harmonies throughout. Dol Goldur and Nightshade Forest are a good start, very folk sounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom