• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

corpserot said:
Got my some of my Rockabilia shirts in the mail, but 4 where backordered. Sort of wish they would make note of that on the site. :(

shirts.jpg

I've never seen that Morbid Angel one before. Looks cool.

That Marduk one is sure to draw some stares. Thats the one that says fuck me jesus on that back right?

Mileena

Banned
Been listening to a lot of Insomnium and Mors Principium Est and I need some melodeath recommendations. Some bands I probably have skipped over please :)

corpserot

corkscrewblow said:
Been listening to a lot of Insomnium and Mors Principium Est and I need some melodeath recommendations. Some bands I probably have skipped over please :)
Have you listened to any Dark Tranquility?

Newest Ensiferum is... rather... bland.

I'm not really surprised. After Jari left the band, they completely lost all their soul. Victory Song has some quality tunes on there and can mostly stand on it's own but as a follow up to Iron, it's crap.

From Afar isn't even as good as Victory Songs unfortunately. There's very little hooks in the album. Seems every song just follows the check-list and the entire thing feels very by the numbers. Also their lead singer is still terrible.

Doesn't really bother me that Ensiferum has fallen off though. From my perspective Wintersun is the true third Ensiferum album.

corpserot

corkscrewblow said:
Of course! Looking for something other than DT, Kalmah, Amon Amarth, Soilwork, Dimension Zero, Scar Symmetry, etc.
Degradead and This Ending are both quality melodeath if you haven't listened to them yet.

Phobophile said:
It's pretty rare I have something I'm completely hooked on for a week or two at a time. Last week it was Candlemass - Nightfall (especially "Bewitched"). But I'm going through my collection, trying to listen to albums I've only given 3 or less listens.

judasprieststainedclass3a9b9.jpg

Yeah, I liked this album, but I'm just NOW realizing how awesome it is. I've always liked Painkiller but kinda didn't like how it blew its load too early in the album (title track, anyone); the rest is good but it's a noticeable taper in quality, with a track or two that I'd consider filler (the damn album's so fucking long).

But Stained Class. It sounds incredibly ahead of its time for a heavy metal album in 1978. A time when most metal albums were either still proto-metal or far less riff-laden than this album or had such piss-poor production. And like NWOBHM, it still has that 70s classic rock twang, which I never really cared for in my heavy metal, but this album does it so awesomely. Halford's vocals are gloriously top-notch (haha he sounds so young compared to in Painkiller) and he has the perfect combination of tenor and touches of falsetto.

Really, there isn't a bad song in this album. Even my least favorite track, "Saints in Hell," is damn solid. This album pulls of in '78 what bands were still trying to accomplish in 1982 (hell, "Exciter" could be considered one of the first speed metal songs). I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not realizing how great this album is in the 7 years I've been listening to metal.

This album is surely one to enter my regular rotation of favorites.

be careful if you listen to Better by You Better than Me too many times you might shuffle yourself off this mortal coil. Still trying to fully understand how JP could get sued over a song they didnt even write but hey thats the legal system for ya. Exciter is one of my favorite JP songs love the drums on it, and it really sounds like Rob is about to blow out his o-ring on that one ironically enough.

Ravager61

Giant Robot said:
I've got that same Morbid Angel shirt back during the Formulas Fatal To the Flesh tour, around 2000'ish if i remember...

I just have the standard Altars of Madness shirt. I just rarely buy metal shirts anymore. I have too many as it is and I dont wear them as much as I used to.

Enosh

corkscrewblow said:
Of course! Looking for something other than DT, Kalmah, Amon Amarth, Soilwork, Dimension Zero, Scar Symmetry, etc.

Callenish Circle, Bleeding Through (m'kay that one is more metalcore), Cripper (m'kay again more thrash), Fear My Thoughts, Hatesphere (is something like that), Why She Kills

corkscrewblow said:
The Black Dahlia Murder and Skyfire are pretty good. I assume you're either well versed in or completely deplore Bodom. But, I figured it was worth a mention just in case you'd missed them.

corpserot

Wrath2X said:
I've been wanting to know this for a while now, Who started the "Death Growl"? And who made it popular?
Don't think anyone knows who really started it, but most would probably say Death's Cam Lee then Chuck Schuldiner.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Lakedaimon said:
be careful if you listen to Better by You Better than Me too many times you might shuffle yourself off this mortal coil. Still trying to fully understand how JP could get sued over a song they didnt even write but hey thats the legal system for ya. Exciter is one of my favorite JP songs love the drums on it, and it really sounds like Rob is about to blow out his o-ring on that one ironically enough.
Haha, right? This song makes me wanna do the exact opposite of blowing my brains out. It's so upbeat and catchy.

Phobophile

Dr. Strangelove said:
It's shitty tech metalcore. I'm pretty sure they're a joke band. And if they aren't, well then... :lol
They're definitely one of the least metal metalcore bands out there. And their ironic scenester band name is totally hipster-in-training.

EzLink

Banned
Just bought Deluxe Edition of Dethalbum II. Haven't gotten to listen to much so far but from what I've heard I really like it. I Tamper With Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin is catchy/badass as fuck

whitehawk said:
I don't think they are a joke, but good to hear they aren't really metal.

You guys will probably laugh at me, but I like to keep this as my definition of metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlE4t89lgvs
Sounds a bit "inspired" by "through the never" (metallica). ;D I still think it's more modern punk from the sound of it.
But yeah, let's show our definitions of metal!!!
Mine: Slow, powerful and very very heavy. This will forever be the first thing I think of when I hear "metal" :)

EzLink

Banned
DieNgamers said:
Sounds a bit "inspired" by "through the never" (metallica)

Holy shit, no fucking kidding. Its cool when bands steal riffs!

It doesn't bother me when the bands give credit and its just a very small section (like Sanitarium having a riff from Tom Sawyer), but this is fucking shameful

Phobophile

corpserot said:
I go into a rage whenever I hear Fat Lip, god thats one of the worst fucking songs ever.
HEAVY METAL AND MULLETS IS HOW WE WERE RAISED

MAIDEN AND PRIEST WERE THE GODS THAT WE PRAISED

Ravager61

whitehawk said:
But but.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlE4t89lgvs

Although Sum41's ex-guitarist was really into to metal, and didn't get to do enough with them, so he left and did his own thing, which is metal. One of his songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiBMf4rQY-I

and heavier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPeVkh39-EI&feature=related

Sorry, but that shit was terrible.

And while I am being mister negativity, I want to take a second to shit on Dethklok. I can't be the only one in this thread that thinks they are horrendously overrated can I? I guess the show gives the band a marketable element, but I think the bands actual songs are pretty boring and uninspired.

EzLink

Banned
Ravager61 said:
And while I am being mister negativity, I want to take a second to shit on Dethklok. I can't be the only one in this thread that thinks they are horrendously overrated can I? I guess the show gives the band a marketable element, but I think the bands actual songs are pretty boring and uninspired.

If you take them for what they are, a parody metal band, the albums are really great. Obviously it isn't something you would give to a friend if you are trying to get him into the genre, and you wouldn't hold them up as pinnacles of metal, but listening to them is good fun

Ravager61

EzLink said:
If you take them for what they are, a parody metal band, the albums are really great. Obviously it isn't something you would give to a friend if you are trying to get him into the genre, and you wouldn't hold them up as pinnacles of metal, but listening to them is good fun

Meh. I listened to their first album and I thought it was pretty bad. The parody element doesn't bother me at all because who really gives a shit about lyrics in death metal anyway but I guess this is the stuff that draws people to the band initially. I just dont find anything about them that makes me want to listen to them. Their vocals bug me in particular.

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:

Haha dude in spite of my avatar, I'm not the biggest fan of the music. I bought Dethalbum 1 since it was fun enough and I pretty much bought it for the coffee jingle. I love the show way more.

corpserot

Ravager61 said:

I don't listen to Dethklok too much, but you could do a lot worse imo. I agree that most of the songs sound sort of uninspired to the experienced metalhead, but for the common man they are much easier to get into since they are so Spinal Tap. The show is hilarious though, probably one of my favorite series.

BRB going to check out the christian rock mosh pit. :D

corpserot said:
Don't think anyone knows who really started it, but most would probably say Death's Cam Lee then Chuck Schuldiner.

A lot of people and interviews will say Kam Lee started it. Then probably Jeff Beccera of Possessed, whom which Chuck Schuldiner admitted to ripping off their sound.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Yeah, Dethklok isn't a legit metal band, so I wouldn't judge them as one. The show is funny, but the music is pretty generic stuff. And that's probably the point. Entertaining, but nothing I'd bother with outside of the context of the program. I'm going to one of their upcoming shows for High on Fire and Converge.

corpserot

Giant Robot said:
A lot of people and interviews will say Kam Lee started it. Then probably Jeff Beccera of Possessed, whom which Chuck Schuldiner admitted to ripping off their sound.
Yeah your right, and GG me for "Cam Lee"

totowhoa

Banned
Haven't read through this thread and I'm picky about my metal except for one subgenre... and I'm wondering if it's popping up in here or not. If so, I will browse it to find some new music to listen to!

The genre: late 80's, early 90's style screamo a la Orchid, Eaves, Taraku, Envy (at a certain point in their career, at least), Daitro, Sed non Satiata, Funeral Diner etc.? I know it's less a subgenre of metal and more of a conglomeration of genres including metal.

Phobophile

Sklorenz said:
Haven't read through this thread and I'm picky about my metal except for one subgenre... and I'm wondering if it's popping up in here or not. If so, I will browse it to find some new music to listen to!

The genre: late 80's, early 90's style screamo a la Orchid, Eaves, Taraku, Envy (at a certain point in their career, at least), Daitro, Sed non Satiata, Funeral Diner etc.? I know it's less a subgenre of metal and more of a conglomeration of genres including metal.
Yeah you're not gonna really find anyone talking about hardcore/post-hardcore/screamo in this thread. The closest we get to punk is metalcore and grindcore.

People have tried to start hardcore threads on GAF. They last about as long as noise threads.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Sklorenz said:

I love the genre, but yeah, this isn't really the thread for it. There is an old hardcore thread floating around that you could probably resurrect.

Phobophile

Giant Robot said:
I can't believe I let this one slip by me, but I've just got into Kylesa. All because im going to see them tonight.

http://www.myspace.com/kylesa
spin029_kylesa400.jpg

so fucking amazing.
Gotta go through their entire catalogue now.
Holy crap, it just gets better the more you go backwards in their discography. I like To Walk a Middle Course the best but get their split albums, too. The earlier they are, the harder and crustier they are.

corpserot

I've never listened to much Judas Priest for some reason, but i'm going through the catalogue after listening to Stained Class. What are some other must listen Priest albums?

I've also been listening to Number of the Beast, such an amazing album and it really takes me back. Children of the Damned gets stuck in my head just like it used to.

yacobod

Banned
corpserot said:
I've never listened to much Judas Priest for some reason, but i'm going through the catalogue after listening to Stained Class. What are some other must listen Priest albums?

I've also been listening to Number of the Beast, such an amazing album and it really takes me back. Children of the Damned gets stuck in my head just like it used to.

Essential Priest

1. Unleashed from the East (live classic era Priest)
2. Stained Class (last classic era album before going biker)
3. Sad Wings of Destiny (classic)
4. Painkiller (cranked to 11)
5. Screaming for Vengeance (british steel 2.0)
6. British Steel
7. Defenders of the Faith (freewheel burning is a precursor to painkiller era sound)

totowhoa

Banned
Giant Robot said:
I can't believe I let this one slip by me, but I've just got into Kylesa. All because im going to see them tonight.

http://www.myspace.com/kylesa
spin029_kylesa400.jpg

so fucking amazing.
Gotta go through their entire catalogue now.

Kylesa is fuckiing great live!

Okay, maybe there will be some things in this thread for me :D I also encourage listening to their earlier, crustier sound.

corpserot

Got to meet Hatebreed and get some shit signed, awesome guys and I got compliments all around for that Morbid Angel shirt.

Show was awesome too, though I ate shit crowd surfing when I hit the front, security sort of failed to catch me.

Also, any Fallout 3 fans with 360s? Have an extra code for the premium theme to the first Metal-GAFer that PMs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom