• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Ceres said:
That was actually posted in this thread at some point in the past. They do a few other covers though this one is probably one of the funnier ones.
GAF -> Internet -> GAF

frogg609

I'm listening to the new Behemoth. Really digging it.

Ordered these today:

7062_216.jpg

51126_216.jpg

I ordered the Aborted on vinyl though.

Besides Rockabilia, what's a good place for metal shirts? Looking for more of the death/grindcore variety.

Phobophile

teruterubozu said:
Operation: Mindcrime is their masterpiece album. It's basically a heavy metal version of The Wall.
That prolly explains why I can't stand Queensryche. :lol

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
teruterubozu said:
Operation: Mindcrime is their masterpiece album. It's basically a heavy metal version of The Wall.

I thought it was a piece of shit when I spun the CD a few times. I like the concept, but not the cheesy 80's glam music amtosphere ugh...

Phobophile said:

Yeah, not saying it's great or anything - I went through a Queensryche phase like every other 80s metal nerd - but now I blame Geoff Tate for the emotive Dream Theater style douchebag singing in modern prog metal.

Woffls

Sum 41's metal inspirations are pretty obvious in the works shortly after All Killer No Filler, and obviously in Pain For Pleasure :p They're obviously not a metal band, but they're probably not as far off as you think.

I recently got the Formation of Damnation by Testament in the post, as well as Shadow Gallery (self-titled) which I noticed was going up in price in some places, so I jumped on a copy for a tenner.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Sandman42 said:
I just got the Baroness Blue Record in the mail. Pretty nice art and packaging.

Glad you like it, that's effectively where the goodness ends.

Alivor

frogg609 said:
I'm listening to the new Behemoth. Really digging it.

Ordered these today:

I ordered the Aborted on vinyl though.

Besides Rockabilia, what's a good place for metal shirts? Looking for more of the death/grindcore variety.
You, my friend, have excellent taste!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I ordered the new Portal album from Profound Lore the other day... I had no idea they had a new one coming out, and I'm not even sure it's leaked yet. One of the few death metal bands that I really enjoy; hope this new one's as good as the others.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
SnakeXs said:
Glad you like it, that's effectively where the goodness ends.
Yeah, I wanted to like this record solely because of the artwork. I can't do it though. Ugh.

Something I've been enjoying a great deal lately is The Ruins of Beverast album "Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite." Anyone else dig this? Pretty awesome one-man black metal with heavy doom influence.

And because it's metal enough to discuss here: anyone else heard the new Converge album yet? It's probably the most diverse record they've ever done. I don't dig how many guest spots there are on the album, though. However, I will say that "Cruel Bloom" with Steve Von Till from Neurosis is pretty bad ass.

Sandman42

Dr. Strangelove said:
And because it's metal enough to discuss here: anyone else heard the new Converge album yet? It's probably the most diverse record they've ever done. I don't dig how many guest spots there are on the album, though. However, I will say that "Cruel Bloom" with Steve Von Till from Neurosis is pretty bad ass.
Yeah the new Converge is actually really good, and I'm not really a fan.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dr. Strangelove said:
Have mine pre-ordered through Deathwish, so I'm resisting downloading the leak... I'm sure they'll be shipping them out early next week. Can't wait to hear it — as long as it's better than No Heroes, I'll be happy.

Dr. Strangelove

vatstep said:
Have mine pre-ordered through Deathwish, so I'm resisting downloading the leak... I'm sure they'll be shipping them out early next week. Can't wait to hear it — as long as it's better than No Heroes, I'll be happy.
Yeah, can't wait for my preorder to ship. The early returns on this album are good.

Alivor said:
What do you guys think of Bloodbath? Furnace Funeral- Bloodbath I just love the vocals and the guitar. Ok, Entombed is pretty awesome too. They're very similar. Left Hand Path- Entombed

i had HIGH hopes for the follow up to the Breeding Death EP. Total failure for me afterwards, but it was a good attempt at old school Stockholm Swedish death metal.

So i saw Kylesa last Friday only hearing them just hours before. Fucking AWESOME band. 2 drummers simultaneously ala' Melvins/Big Business. Got all their albums, but still think the last one "Static Tensions" is their most complete. Definately great band on cd and live.

Ravager61

Alivor said:
What do you guys think of Bloodbath? Furnace Funeral- Bloodbath I just love the vocals and the guitar. Ok, Entombed is pretty awesome too. They're very similar. Left Hand Path- Entombed
My favorite Swedish death metal album is Dismemeber - Like an Ever Flowing Stream. I suggest checking it out if you are into Bloodbath and Entombed.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Something I've been enjoying a great deal lately is The Ruins of Beverast album "Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite." Anyone else dig this? Pretty awesome one-man black metal with heavy doom influence.

Have you heard any of their other stuff? I have Rain Upon the Impure and I like it a lot.

Dr. Strangelove

Ravager61 said:
Have you heard any of their other stuff? I have Rain Upon the Impure and I like it a lot.
No, the new one is the only one I've heard. I definitely want to hear the other stuff now. Have you heard the new one? If so, how does it compare to his old material?

wRATH2x

Banned
Phobophile said:
Why? Don't ya like Pink Floyd?(I know they are not metal, but their still awesome.)

Anyway, what's the best recent heavy metal album that has no deathgrowl or black metal vocals? Thrash is alright if it falls under that.

yacobod

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Anyway, what's the best recent heavy metal album that has no deathgrowl or black metal vocals? Thrash is alright if it falls under that.

the new candlemass death doom magic is pretty good, i havent really picked up a lot of new metal this year tho, so idk

been listening to a lot of classical music as of late

JayPad

Banned
Don't know 'bout you but the first thing I did after watching ZOMBIELAND was fire up iTunes and bought meself "For Whom The Bell Tolls" - Metallica. Just awesome.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
vatstep said:
I ordered the new Portal album from Profound Lore the other day... I had no idea they had a new one coming out, and I'm not even sure it's leaked yet. One of the few death metal bands that I really enjoy; hope this new one's as good as the others.

This is great news! I loved "Outre", and I didn't even know they had a new one coming. Will definitely order it, thanks for the head's up!

In other news, I saw GWAR live last night for the first time in my life. Holy fucking shit was it a great show! It only took them 25 years to make it to Arkansas, hopefully they come back before their are too old to stand.

Ravager61

Dr. Strangelove said:
No, the new one is the only one I've heard. I definitely want to hear the other stuff now. Have you heard the new one? If so, how does it compare to his old material?

Honestly, I wasn't even aware he had a new album out until I saw your post. I plan on listening to it pretty soon.

wRATH2x

Banned
yacobod said:
the new candlemass death doom magic is pretty good, i havent really picked up a lot of new metal this year tho, so idk

been listening to a lot of classical music as of late
Yeah me too. Mostly the beginning of Heavy Metal with Sabbath and the like. The reason I asked for this is because I want a new metal band to listen to and look forward to their future releases. I'll check out candlemass. Any other suggestions?

Ceres

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Yeah me too. Mostly the beginning of Heavy Metal with Sabbath and the like. The reason I asked for this is because I want a new metal band to listen to and look forward to their future releases. I'll check out candlemass. Any other suggestions?

I don't really listen to a lot of traditional heavy metal but I hear a lot of good things about Bloodbound. They've been around since 2004 and have three albums out. Only problem is that the majority of positive comments are from people who have friended Urban Breed through Progpower USA so I don't know how unbiased they are in their praise. He doesn't sing on the second album but is on the first and third.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Wrath2X said:

Check out Hibria. 2 awesome albums. One came out this year.

Alivor

Ravager61 said:
My favorite Swedish death metal album is Dismemeber - Like an Ever Flowing Stream. I suggest checking it out if you are into Bloodbath and Entombed.
Dismember is awesome, thanks for the suggestion!

Phobophile

Wrath2X said:
You must have missed all the talk about Judas Priest - Stained Class just a couple pages back. Rather than posting the link, I'm gonna copy the quote since I like hearing myself talk about metal:
Phobophile said:
It's pretty rare I have something I'm completely hooked on for a week or two at a time. Last week it was Candlemass - Nightfall (especially "Bewitched"). But I'm going through my collection, trying to listen to albums I've only given 3 or less listens.

judasprieststainedclass3a9b9.jpg

Yeah, I liked this album, but I'm just NOW realizing how awesome it is. I've always liked Painkiller but kinda didn't like how it blew its load too early in the album (title track, anyone); the rest is good but it's a noticeable taper in quality, with a track or two that I'd consider filler (the damn album's so fucking long).

But Stained Class. It sounds incredibly ahead of its time for a heavy metal album in 1978. A time when most metal albums were either still proto-metal or far less riff-laden than this album or had such piss-poor production. And like NWOBHM, it still has that 70s classic rock twang, which I never really cared for in my heavy metal, but this album does it so awesomely. Halford's vocals are gloriously top-notch (haha he sounds so young compared to in Painkiller) and he has the perfect combination of tenor and touches of falsetto.

Really, there isn't a bad song in this album. Even my least favorite track, "Saints in Hell," is damn solid. This album pulls of in '78 what bands were still trying to accomplish in 1982 (hell, "Exciter" could be considered one of the first speed metal songs). I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not realizing how great this album is in the 7 years I've been listening to metal.

This album is surely one to enter my regular rotation of favorites.
Although I dunno if that's gonna fulfill your requirement of looking forward to new releases; bands this old tend to put out rather average at best albums. Like the new Nostradamus isn't really gonna impress anyone other than hardcore Priest fans. Or just old bands have different line-ups from back in the day so it's practically a different band, like Black Sabbath. There are three distinctive Sabbath eras characterized by the singers: the doomy Ozzy era, the NWOBHM Dio era (my favorite), and the later "soft" metal Tony Martin era, which was less guitar-driven than the previous two.

Once in a while, you'll get amazing comeback albums, like Dismember's The God That Never Was or Celtic Frost's Monotheist, or bands that manage to pull off a good album after churning out crap after crappy meh, like Candlemass' Death Magic Doom.

But if you're not worried about following bands, I've plenty more old heavy/power/doom metal bands that I've gotten into in the past couple years.

Ravager61

Korranator said:
uggghhhhhh....... What the hell happened? This is actually worse than the new Mastodon and Wolves in the Throne Room. I didn't think that was possible.
The hate for the new Baroness is unwarranted. It may not be what you expected but calling it bad is lame. Its a solid record.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ravager61 said:
The hate for the new Baroness is unwarranted. It may not be what you expected but calling it bad is lame. Its a solid record.

Their playing is technically proficient. It's just proficiently playing something that mostly sucks.

Ravager61

SnakeXs said:
Congrats, you have questionable taste.
Care to tell me what you despise so much about this record? With each subsequent release, they've gotten more melodic and have been exploring new sounds. This album is just the evolution of their sound. I prefer the Red Album to this one but I still think the Blue Record is solid.

wRATH2x

Banned
Phobophile said:
You must have missed all the talk about Judas Priest - Stained Class just a couple pages back. Rather than posting the link, I'm gonna copy the quote since I like hearing myself talk about metal:

Although I dunno if that's gonna fulfill your requirement of looking forward to new releases; bands this old tend to put out rather average at best albums. Like the new Nostradamus isn't really gonna impress anyone other than hardcore Priest fans. Or just old bands have different line-ups from back in the day so it's practically a different band, like Black Sabbath. There are three distinctive Sabbath eras characterized by the singers: the doomy Ozzy era, the NWOBHM Dio era (my favorite), and the later "soft" metal Tony Martin era, which was less guitar-driven than the previous two.

Once in a while, you'll get amazing comeback albums, like Dismember's The God That Never Was or Celtic Frost's Monotheist, or bands that manage to pull off a good album after churning out crap after crappy meh, like Candlemass' Death Magic Doom.

But if you're not worried about following bands, I've plenty more old heavy/power/doom metal bands that I've gotten into in the past couple years.
Nah man I didn't miss your discussion about Stained Class, I'm a big fan of Judas Priest. I know all about Sabbath and the different singers. I'm big into classic Heavy Metal, so you would expect me to have at least exceptional knowledge about it.

I would like to hear your old school suggestions regardless, you can say most of my collection is rather "Mainstream". I would also like to hear about the doom/power/heavy metal suggestions you got.

yacobod

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Nah man I didn't miss your discussion about Stained Class, I'm a big fan of Judas Priest..

hrmmmm, now here's a post from less than a week ago

Wrath2X said:
Judas Priest are fucking amazing, but I have to admit I didn't listen to much of their work. I love Painkiller, British Steel and Screaming For Vengeance like any other Metal fan. I'll guess I'll check out Stained Class and Sad Wings Of Destiny.

RIGHT :/

:lol

FFChris

Korranator said:
uggghhhhhh....... What the hell happened? This is actually worse than the new Mastodon and Wolves in the Throne Room. I didn't think that was possible.

Of course it's worse, the new Mastodon is absolutely fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom