• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

vatstep said:
I'm pretty psyched for the new Krallice record... I don't think it's leaked yet, but Profound Lore is likely gonna start shipping copies in a few days. Probably my last big anticipated release for the year.

Can you (or anyone) post the link to preorder the new Krallice? I looked on Profound Lore's site but I couldn't find it.

Did you read somewhere that it is shipping in a few days? I didnt think it was supposed to come out till Nov 10.

Toski

I haven't checked through the thread recently, but does anyone have any opinions on the new Scar Symmetry? Sounds to me liked they peaked with Pitch Black Progress and are taking the Children of Bodom route to mediocrity.

Hellcrow

Toski said:
I haven't checked through the thread recently, but does anyone have any opinions on the new Scar Symmetry? Sounds to me liked they peaked with Pitch Black Progress and are taking the Children of Bodom route to mediocrity.

I think they peaked with Holographic Universe. I haven't really given the new album a chance, but I really miss the old vocalist from what I've heard.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ravager61 said:
Can you (or anyone) post the link to preorder the new Krallice? I looked on Profound Lore's site but I couldn't find it.

Did you read somewhere that it is shipping in a few days? I didnt think it was supposed to come out till Nov 10.
It was mentioned on Twitter: thinking of putting the new KRALLICE album up for sale in a few days...

It fits the pattern of their other releases — I ordered the new Bloody Panda and Portal albums two weeks before their official dates (and they came really fast), so I'd expect this one to be put up for order very soon.

kottila

Wrath2X said:
I was wondering, since most new metal bands are either Black or Death. I was wondering, Are there any good new bands that sound like either early Black Sabbath or early Judas Priest or Iron Maiden or Motorhead?

Two great bands that are similar to Maiden:

Wolf from Sweden

and Canadas 3 inches of blood

and a little heavier and slower band more remniscent of Sabbath

Bigelf

wRATH2x

Banned
kottila said:
Two great bands that are similar to Maiden:

Wolf from Sweden

and Canadas 3 inches of blood

and a little heavier and slower band more remniscent of Sabbath

Bigelf
Thanks man.
EDIT: Wolf sounds like something I can get into, but I didn't really like this particular song though. I liked 3 Inches of Blood since I got Brutal Legend(Yeah pretty recent), looks like I should delve deeper. And Bigelf are meh.

Toski

Hellcrow said:
I think they peaked with Holographic Universe. I haven't really given the new album a chance, but I really miss the old vocalist from what I've heard.
Holographic Universe was good, I just think Pitch Black Progress was better. Sybreed's Pulse of Awakening also seems to not be as good as Slave Design or Antares.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Toski said:

I actually like it. It's not as good as Holographic Universe/Pitch Black Progress, but it's not bad.

I like the growls better, but the clean vocals aren't nearly as good.

Mileena

Banned
Toski said:
It's pretty bad and really not even worth checking out. I was bored halfway through the album.

got the new OM album "God is Good"

same ole Om sound, twice as more epic. More chants, flutes, and other traditional instruments that make them more spiritual. The new drummer is just as good, if not more interesting than Om's previous Chris Hakius. First song "Thebes" ranks way up there with Conference of the Birds. 19 minutes of what represents the whole album. fucking EPIC.

dc404mini.jpg

atkbob

Banned
Toski said:
The new SS stuff sounds pretty bad, but I'm looking forward to material from Christian Älvestam's new band, "Solution .45". They put out a demo a while ago, and it sounds like Scar Symmetry.

I saw 3 inches of blood and Saviours the other day. Really excellent show. Especially Saviours, they were unexpected surprise, y'all should check them out.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
corkscrewblow said:
Kalisia - Cybion (I've recommended it in this thread before, easily album of the year for me. It's EXACTLY what you're looking for based on what you posted)

After listening to it all, you're right. Album of the year.

Giant Robot said:

same ole Om sound, twice as more epic. More chants, flutes, and other traditional instruments that make them more spiritual. The new drummer is just as good, if not more interesting than Om's previous Chris Hakius. First song "Thebes" ranks way up there with Conference of the Birds. 19 minutes of what represents the whole album. fucking EPIC.

dc404mini.jpg

I have to get this, Om is one of my favourite bands from the moment i listened to them. I saw them live and, i don´t know if it was because i was drunk, but it was like the closest i´ve been to feel somewhat spiritual. Well, that and the time i saw neurosis, back in 99 with the times of grace tour.

bytesized said:
I have to get this, Om is one of my favourite bands from the moment i listened to them. I saw them live and, i don´t know if it was because i was drunk, but it was like the closest i´ve been to feel somewhat spiritual. Well, that and the time i saw neurosis, back in 99 with the times of grace tour.

i saw them a few times. Once in a record store and another at some "haunted" lodge/hotel. Fucking perfect setting for it. And it was a damn spiritual experience.

So, I'm interview PELICAN tommorow at a show in San Francisco. Anyone got any questions they'd like me to ask, besides the "singing track" on the new album?

Woffls

Digital Ghosts in the post! (Shadow Gallery's new album) Anyone else getting it? I liked a fair amount of their previous work so thought I might as well buy it.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Giant Robot said:

dc404mini.jpg

How does it compare to Variations on a Theme? I find that the albums after their first release are pretty damn boring.

Phobophile said:
How does it compare to Variations on a Theme? I find that the albums after their first release are pretty damn boring.

well, God is Good is more in line with i'd say Conference. Variations was still a little to early "Sleep-ish" to me. Conference of the Birds is where i thought they found their identity and style. Pilgrimmage is still their heaviest, but its too short :(

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
BTBAM, Devin Townsend, Cynic, Scale The Summit dates:

Jan. 08 - Nashville, TN - Rocketown
Jan. 09 - Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade
Jan. 10 - New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
Jan. 11 - Houston, TX - Meridian
Jan. 12 - Dallas, TX - The Prophet Bar (Big room)
Jan. 13 - San Antonio, TX - The White Rabbit
Jan. 15 - Tempe, AZ - The Clubhouse
Jan. 16 - San Diego, CA - House of Blues
Jan. 17 - West Hollywood, CA - House of Blues
Jan. 18 - San Francisco, CA - Slim’s
Jan. 20 - Denver, CO - Cervantes
Jan. 22 - Louisville, KY - Headliners Music Hall
Jan. 23 - Detroit, MI - Magic Stick
Jan. 24 - Chicago, IL - House of Blues
Jan. 25 - Cleveland, OH - Peabody’s Downunder
Jan. 26 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
Jan. 27 - Montreal, QC - Club Soda
Jan. 28 - Boston, MA - House of Blues
Jan. 29 - Clifton Park, NY - Northern Lights
Jan. 30 - New York, NY - The Fillmore @ Irving Plaza
Jan. 31 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero
Feb. 01 - Baltimore, MD - Sonar
Feb. 03 - St. Petersburg, FL - State Theatre
Feb. 06 - Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore

BTBAM is headlining, and of course the closest one to me is 4 and a half hours away. :(

hmmm, might catch Cynic again in SF. Same fucking venue.....
Seen Scale The Summit before. Damn technical and tasteful, but boring as shit. Super stiff presence, but they can't help it :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'd like to see Cynic, but since they've been back together none of the tours they've been part of have been even remotely interesting to me.

augmental

My new favorite Slayer song is "Snuff". This is track 3 on the new album World Painted Blood. The song starts off with two guitar solos, Araya sounds fierce and the second half of the song has a really tight, heavy riff. Of course Lombardo's drums are perfect in this one as well.

Ceres

Banned
NameGenerated said:
BTBAM, Devin Townsend, Cynic, Scale The Summit dates:

BTBAM is headlining, and of course the closest one to me is 4 and a half hours away. :(

Saw the dates the other night when I got back from Austin. This is one time I don't actually have to drive far to attend a show. I was just hoping for a weekend date in Boston or NYC since I don't have the time off to be going to shows on week days anymore. A 15 min drive (on a Friday even) is far better than I ever expected.

augmental said:
Who hear likes Doom/Sludge Metal? What bands best represent these genres?

Doom- Candlemass, Morgion, Hooded Menace, Winter, Pantheist, early Paradise Lost, early My Dying Bride, first Cathedral album, Grief, Thergothon, Ceremonium

Sludge- Neurosis, Eyehategod, Bongripper, early Floor, Harvey Milk, Toadliquor, Indian, Uffomammut, early Isis

bands that could fall in between- Boris, Goatsnake,

Giant Robot said:
Doom- Candlemass, Morgion, Hooded Menace, Winter, Pantheist, early Paradise Lost, early My Dying Bride, first Cathedral album, Grief, Thergothon, Ceremonium

Sludge- Neurosis, Eyehategod, Bongripper, early Floor, Harvey Milk, Toadliquor, Indian, Uffomammut, early Isis

bands that could fall in between- Boris, Goatsnake,

All them bands and no mention for MELVINS? They did pretty much inspire both genres.

DieNgamers said:
Yeah! However, you could as well get Black Sabbath's Master of Reality album and you'll realize where that sound comes from, I'm serious. :)

Melvins were actually inspired much more by Black Flag than Black Sabbath. People just assume they were influenced by Sabbath. You will notice that the earlier Melvins stuff had a much more punk edge to it because of this.

yacobod said:
i was talkin more for doom than sludge, i mean candlemass released epicus in like 85 or 86 already

Yeah, for doom it probably was Sabbath more, in the case of sludge Melvins were probably the most important influence.

Ravager61

The new Katatonia album leaked. The first track really sounds like The Great Cold Distance part 2 but after that it becomes something all its own. Its darker, more intricate, and more progressive than almost all of their previous material. I really love it.

well, Sabbath is already the obvious. Might as well toss in St. Vitus, Witchcraft, and General Witchfinder as well.

with the sludge bands i've mentioned, Melvins had probably a more impact, judging by their sound

augmental

Ravager61 said:
The new Katatonia album leaked. The first track really sounds like The Great Cold Distance part 2 but after that it becomes something all its own. Its darker, more intricate, and more progressive than almost all of their previous material. I really love it.

I need to check this out! Forgot about this one.

augmental

Speaking of MELVINS, what do you guys think of Big Business? Technically they are part of the MELVINS now I guess. I have listened to 'Here Come The Waterworks'. I thought it was pretty good.

Zozobra

augmental said:
Speaking of MELVINS, what do you guys think of Big Business? Technically they are part of the MELVINS now I guess. I have listened to 'Here Come The Waterworks'. I thought it was pretty good.

I enjoyed 'Head for the Shallow', but everything after that was pretty meh.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
yacobod said:
i was talkin more for doom than sludge, i mean candlemass released epicus in like 85 or 86 already

My favorite doom album of all time is Warning - Watching From A Distance. Check it out!

In the sludgey doom category, a UK band by the name of The Deep Blue will crush your fucking soul. The deepest riffs I've ever heard and stellar production values. Their album, Antarctic Abyss, has only 2 two tracks, 30 minutes that will break you. Check it.

Otherwise, check out everything Giant Robot recommended.

augmental said:

fun band to watch. Going to see them this coming Monday in San Francisco. Last time i saw them with Melvins, 2 drummers simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom