• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Wrath2X said:
Man I wanna know what's so fucking good about Opeth, I tried listening to some of their songs but I keep hearing crap. GAF, why are they always hyped as the best metal band out there right now?

Personally I find Opeth to be a terrible band, basically due to them being so exruciatingly fucking boring.

Giant Robot said:
The Crown's first 4 albums were killer, Hell Is Here being my favorite. They went to absolute shit when they brought in Tomas Lindberg from At The Gates, ughh.

Eh, I kinda like the album they did with 'Tompa' Lindberg, although the re-recording is better.
And yeah, Hell is Here is godly, with Mysterion and Give You Hell being my fave tracks.

Mileena

Banned
If you think Opeth is boring, you must not like progressive music period. IMO they're the best metal band of the past ten years.

Combichristoffersen

corkscrewblow said:
If you think Opeth is boring, you must not like progressive music period. IMO they're the best metal band of the past ten years.

Correct, I'm not very fond of progressive rock/metal ;) Except for what I've heard by Pink Floyd.

Flynn said:
Wait. Am I wrong to absolutely love Disfear?

nah, Disfear is a fun band. I just don't like when Tomas Lindbergh has to "Lindbergh-ize" everything he's in as im not fond of his vocal style. Maybe it's just the timing with The Crown when the album after Deathrace Explosion came out and Lindbergh came in at a boring time for The Crown.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
nah, Disfear is a fun band. I just don't like when Tomas Lindbergh has to "Lindbergh-ize" everything he's in as im not fond of his vocal style. Maybe it's just the timing with The Crown when the album after Deathrace Explosion came out and Lindbergh came in at a boring time for The Crown.

Since I'm sort of re-approaching metal after years of living in the hipster wilderness I hadn't really heard of Lindbergh except through Disfear -- and from that angle he sort of meshes with the kind of stuff I dig now, especially those really reedy vocals.

I've sort of meant to explore At The Gates (grabbed the song in Rock Band after getting into Disfear) but never really did.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Combichristoffersen said:
Correct, I'm not very fond of progressive rock/metal ;) Except for what I've heard by Pink Floyd.
If you love Pink Floyd then it's mindboggling how you don't like Opeth.

corkscrewblow said:
I love good prog metal. When it's actually progressive. I used to really like pre-Deliverance Opeth a lot a few years back, but I kinda outgrew them as my tastes changed and developed. I'll still spin Morningrise, MYHY, and Still Life once in a blue moon. They're solid releases but they'll never do it for me like they did years ago.

Combichristoffersen

Phobophile said:
If you love Pink Floyd then it's mindboggling how you don't like Opeth.

To clarify, I don't love PF. I like what I've heard, but I'm no rabid fan that hoards obscure Himalayan first edition pressings of Saucerful of Secrets or whatever :lol Prog in general usually just doesn't appeal to me. An example would be the latest Maiden album, which arguably is their most prog-influenced album. It is also the only Maiden album I find to be completely and utterly unlistenable (except for Different World, which is an OK song). I did enjoy Dream Theater's Images and Words, though (but on the other hand, I couldn't stand Six Degrees..).

Phobophile

Flynn said:
I've sort of meant to explore At The Gates (grabbed the song in Rock Band after getting into Disfear) but never really did.

Pretty much their 100% essential album is The Red in the Sky Is Ours. It's fucking timeless and some of the best in old-school death metal. Chaotic, yet distinctively Swedish in its melody, and with that blackened-tinged tremolo picking. Much thrashier than say, Dismember. You can check out Slaughter of the Soul next but it's pretty much a complete 180 from TRITSIO. Incredibly catchy with hooks, melody, and groove out the ass. It's a good album but not very substantial but a damn good poppy metal album. Terminal Spirit Disease is kinda their transition album from death metal to melodic death metal (melo-death) and it was completely forgettable for me but you might wanna hit it up on the way to SotS.

Flynn

Phobophile said:
Pretty much their 100% essential album is The Red in the Sky Is Ours. It's fucking timeless and some of the best in old-school death metal. Chaotic, yet distinctively Swedish in its melody, and with that blackened-tinged tremolo picking. Much thrashier than say, Dismember. You can check out Slaughter of the Soul next but it's pretty much a complete 180 from TRITSIO. Incredibly catchy with hooks, melody, and groove out the ass. It's a good album but not very substantial but a damn good poppy metal album. Terminal Spirit Disease is kinda their transition album from death metal to melodic death metal (melo-death) and it was completely forgettable for me but you might wanna hit it up on the way to SotS.

Awesome advice as usual. Thanks. I'm gonna do a big download from Amazon (grabbing some St. Vitus) and I'll be sure to grab TRITSIO for starters.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
And got the tickets for Heathenfest. Can't wait. This is sadly my first (and assuredly last) show of the year.

Decado

Maybe my searching skillz suck, but I can't seem to find a Top 10 Metal Albums or equivalent thread on this forum. This is particularly shocking since we seem to have one of those for just about everything.

Phobophile

Decado said:
Maybe my searching skillz suck, but I can't seem to find a Top 10 Metal Albums or equivalent thread on this forum. This is particularly shocking since we seem to have one of those for just about everything.
It's because top ten threads are sooooooooo GameFAQs. Plus you'll get much better discussion of metal in this thread rather than the occasional auxiliary metal thread on GAF. Discussions in here are civil as the more diehard metal fans post here and even the more casual fans contribute positively. Make an open thread and you'll have a dozen jackasses start talking about music that's blatantly not metal and bitch that they don't care about the existing, objective definition and would rather go on their arbitrary, subjective terms and call all those who disagree elitists.

Phobophile said:

I wouldn´t say that Slaughter of the Soul is a 180 from their earlier stuff but it´s certainly much easier to listen to and therefore i think maybe it´s the first album people should check out. But I agree that The red in the sky is ours and With fear i kiss the burning darkness are essential albums, so many memorable songs in them.

Kingdom Gone
Burning Darkness

Mileena

Banned
Decado said:
Slipknot and Disturbed are the best metal bands eva. That's all you need to know.

edit: On a serious note, what are the essential Helloween albums other than Keeper of the Seven Keys 1 and 2?

yacobod

Banned
corkscrewblow said:

opeth is boring, calling them a metal band is debatable, and calling them the best metal band is laughable, to be honest i think opeth is the logical progression for kids who were really into Tool

An example would be the latest Maiden album, which arguably is their most prog-influenced album. It is also the only Maiden album I find to be completely and utterly unlistenable (except for Different World, which is an OK song).

same here, i'm a big IM fan, but the latest album was beyond awful, i think i maybe listened to it once before permanently shelving it, but it's not like ABNW or DoD were good either, i think fear of the dark was maiden's last gasp, but the band's best work ended with SSoaSS

Phobophile

bytesized said:
I wouldn´t say that Slaughter of the Soul is a 180 from their earlier stuff but it´s certainly much easier to listen to and therefore i think maybe it´s the first album people should check out. But I agree that The red in the sky is ours and With fear i kiss the burning darkness are essential albums, so many memorable songs in them.

Kingdom Gone
Burning Darkness
Fair enough but I'm under the assumption that Flynn is already accustomed to listening to death metal. Hell, when I first started listening to metal, I started listening to death and melo-death in tandem but really listened to more melo-death so I listened to Slaughter of the Soul first (Red in the Sky wasn't even recommended to me at the time). So for a more beginner metal listener I agree with you but I would no longer recommend SotS without Red as a companion. I think that it maintains a good level of accessibility without compromising on being a complex and rewarding listen.

wRATH2x

Banned
First things first, Pink Floyd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Opeth. Sure they are not a metal band, but they are still much better.

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy they're music. But I ask Metal-GAF, what band should I listen too?(I want a 2000's band thats still going and is pretty awesome.)

Combichristoffersen

corkscrewblow said:
edit: On a serious note, what are the essential Helloween albums other than Keeper of the Seven Keys 1 and 2?

Walls of Jericho, Better than Raw and Time of the Oath. Master of the Rings is supposedly good too.

yacobod said:
same here, i'm a big IM fan, but the latest album was beyond awful, i think i maybe listened to it once before permanently shelving it, but it's not like ABNW or DoD were good either, i think fear of the dark was maiden's last gasp, but the band's best work ended with SSoaSS

I actually enjoy BNW a lot, and DoD is decent enough (except for the shittastic cover artwork :lol ), but AMoLaD was terrible as far as I'm concerned. Fear of the Dark is underrated (Judas Be My Guide Defence Force report!). I enjoy the albums they did with Blaze Bayley too (hell, I even like Virtual XI), but SSoaSS was the last really awesome album they did, yeah.

Wrath2X said:
First things first, Pink Floyd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Opeth. Sure they are not a metal band, but they are still much better.

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy they're music. But I ask Metal-GAF, what band should I listen too?(I want a 2000's band thats still going and is pretty awesome.)

My personal favorite band for the last few years has been Dreamtheater, and since Train of Thought(2003) they have steadily shifted towards more of a prog metal as opposed to prog rock(90s)outfit, so I feel they count.
Here's a couple tracks:
Glass Prison off "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence"
Constant motion off "Systematic Chaos"
Count of Tuscant Part 1, Part 2 off "Black Clouds and Silver Linings"

They have very strong instrumentals, a range of both heavy and softer stuff, but their vocalist can be tough to get into. My favorite album is the aforementioned Train of Thought(also their heaviest work), but this year's Black Clouds and Silver Linings is an excellent choice too.

Bonus track for fun: The Big Medley off "A Change of Seasons" (live mix of about 5 70s and 80s rock songs)

EDIT: As in you already listen to them? Damn, that's pretty much the only thing I've got that hasnt already been said in this thread a billion times.

wRATH2x

Banned
Pyke Presco said:
My personal favorite band for the last few years has been Dreamtheater, and since Train of Thought(2003) they have steadily shifted towards more of a prog metal as opposed to prog rock(90s)outfit, so I feel they count.
Here's a couple tracks:
Glass Prison off "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence"
Constant motion off "Systematic Chaos"
Count of Tuscant Part 1, Part 2 off "Black Clouds and Silver Linings"

They have very strong instrumentals, a range of both heavy and softer stuff, but their vocalist can be tough to get into. My favorite album is the aforementioned Train of Thought(also their heaviest work), but this year's Black Clouds and Silver Linings is an excellent choice too.

Bonus track for fun: The Big Medley off "A Change of Seasons" (live mix of about 5 70s and 80s rock songs)
Man I love me some Dream Theater!

yacobod

Banned
Walls of Jericho

(Judas Be My Guide Defence Force report!).

walls of jericho is helloween's best release, and if you like helloween i recommend checking out gamma ray, land of the free and somewhere out in space are great power metal albums, kai hansen rocks

and ya Judas Be My Guide is by far the best track on FotD, an underrated gem in the maiden catalog

Ravager61

I was going to get into this whole Opeth debate but, fuck it. I don't feel like arguing about them. Instead, Ill just throw out a rec to everyone.

Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm

1246652403_3.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/theweaponchakra

Incredible Black/Death Metal. Pretty much everything Ajna Offensive puts out is awesome in my book.

Combichristoffersen

yacobod said:
walls of jericho is helloween's best release, and if you like helloween i recommend checking out gamma ray, land of the free and somewhere out in space are great power metal albums, kai hansen rocks

and ya Judas Be My Guide is by far the best track on FotD, an underrated gem in the maiden catalog

Musically Walls of Jericho is arguably their best album, but I prefer Kiske's vocals over Hansen. Still, great album. And yeah, Gamma Ray is good.

I quite like From Here to Eternity too, even though it sounds somewhat like a rejected AC/DC B-side :lol:

Hellcrow

Wrath2X said:

Dark Tranquillity is still going strong after 20 years.

Phobophile

Wrath2X said:

Deathspell Omega.

One of the best ten fucking bands of the decade. First album released in 2000 and a second two years later. One was bad, the other decent, but they got things started after a line-up change in 2003-2004 and released Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice in 2004, changing the face of modern black metal by countering the minimalist second wave of black metal with a malevolent assault of dissonance that had never been so technically executed before by black metal ushering in a new age of black metal (along with Blut Aus Nord on The Work Which Transforms God). Each subsequent release in their theological journey progresses from flat-out rejecting God to a more agnostic viewpoint on Kenose and later an acceptance of God, though through condemnation, on Fas. And just as the themes progress, the songwriting goes from evil and menacing to less malevolent and increasingly chaotic. Without Deathspell Omega and Weakling, Krallice would have never existed.

corpserot

Ravager61 said:
I was going to get into this whole Opeth debate but, fuck it. I don't feel like arguing about them. Instead, Ill just throw out a rec to everyone.

Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm

1246652403_3.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/theweaponchakra

Incredible Black/Death Metal. Pretty much everything Ajna Offensive puts out is awesome in my book.
Awesome recommendation, really digging them.

Also, I second Deathspell Omega, started listening to them a month or so ago and they are one of my favorite bands now.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
Deathspell Omega.

One of the best ten fucking bands of the decade. First album released in 2000 and a second two years later. One was bad, the other decent, but they got things started after a line-up change in 2003-2004 and released Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice in 2004, changing the face of modern black metal by countering the minimalist second wave of black metal with a malevolent assault of dissonance that had never been so technically executed before by black metal ushering in a new age of black metal (along with Blut Aus Nord on The Work Which Transforms God). Each subsequent release in their theological journey progresses from flat-out rejecting God to a more agnostic viewpoint on Kenose and later an acceptance of God, though through condemnation, on Fas. And just as the themes progress, the songwriting goes from evil and menacing to less malevolent and increasingly chaotic. Without Deathspell Omega and Weakling, Krallice would have never existed.

Si Monumentum is in my top 3 albums of all time. Absolutely essential listening for anyone that is into black metal. Great write up. Although, I see Si Monumentum more as a complete acceptance of satan as god rather than a flat out rejection of the christian god. At least thats how the lyrics read to me. Its nit-picking I realize, but one of the things that gives that album its atmosphere is that the lyrics and imagery often read like a church sermon.

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
Si Monumentum is in my top 3 albums of all time. Absolutely essential listening for anyone that is into black metal. Great write up. Although, I see Si Monumentum more as a complete acceptance of satan as god rather than a flat out rejection of the christian god. At least thats how the lyrics read to me. Its nit-picking I realize, but one of the things that gives that album its atmosphere is that the lyrics and imagery often read like a church sermon.
Well I see it as a rejection of God (the 4th line of "Sola Fide I" is "I spit on Christ's redemption and to it I shall renounce") and as an acceptance of Satan as his lord and savior. I just pussyfooted around that since I don't want someone to NOT listen to it because its lyrics are Satanic in nature, though amazingly well-written and laid out as if it were a treatise. I mean, it's not like LOL Slayer Satan lyrics.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
Well I see it as a rejection of God (the 4th line of "Sola Fide I" is "I spit on Christ's redemption and to it I shall renounce") and as an acceptance of Satan as his lord and savior. I just pussyfooted around that since I don't want someone to NOT listen to it because its lyrics are Satanic in nature, though amazingly well-written and laid out as if it were a treatise. I mean, it's not like LOL Slayer Satan lyrics.

Yeah you are right. Like I said, i was just nit-picking. Your write up on them is great. The way I see it is, if people don't want to listen because of the lyrics, then they are missing out. The lyrics are a huge part of their music, and you dont have to agree with them in anyway to enjoy the music. They are thought provoking which is the main attaction imo.

Ok, I am looking for good Symphonic/Melodic Metal like Nightwish. I REALLY love nightwish (especially their earlier stuff) but want to hear some other bands. I love black metal for the heavy sound and drums but the voices can get monotonous and annoying. I love vocals that go with the songs well and not random screaming/growling like with Dimmu Borgir. Its a big reason why i like nightwish.

Combichristoffersen

momolicious said:
Ok, I am looking for good Symphonic/Melodic Metal like Nightwish. I REALLY love nightwish (especially their earlier stuff) but want to hear some other bands. I love black metal for the sound and drums but the voices can get monotonous and annoying. I love vocals that go with the songs well and not random screaming/growling like with Dimmu Borgir. Its a big reason why i like nightwish.

Old Within Temptation, maybe? Or some older gothic metal bands like Tristania, Theatre of Tragedy (their earliest albums) and The Sins of Thy Beloved.

Phobophile

Wrath2X said:
Not really a fan of Black Metal, but I guess I'll check em out.
If you end up doing so, give it several listens. I listened to it once shortly after it was released and kinda prematurely and it didn't click with me until I was listening to it with headphones on the train one day.

Black metal, especially as complex and layered as DSO really is best fully appreciated with some headphones to pick up on all the slight nuances and intonations.

EzLink

Banned
momolicious said:
Ok, I am looking for good Symphonic/Melodic Metal like Nightwish. I REALLY love nightwish (especially their earlier stuff) but want to hear some other bands. I love black metal for the heavy sound and drums but the voices can get monotonous and annoying. I love vocals that go with the songs well and not random screaming/growling like with Dimmu Borgir. Its a big reason why i like nightwish.

Check out The Black Halo by Kamelot. I used to be a nightwish fan until I got into kamelot who are much better IMO

Also you will probably like power metal, in which case start with Blind Guardian (start with either the album Nightfall In Middle-Eart or A Night at the Opera)

EzLink

Banned
So a friend of mine dumped a bunch of new bands on me the other day. Some I've heard of, some I haven't, but there's quite a bit of stuff and I don't want to waste my time on bands that aren't worth it. Here's the list:

Amon Amarth
Children of Bodom
Chimaira
Dimmu Borgir
The Faceless
Flaw
Hammerfall
The Human Abstract
Iced Earth
Lacuna Coil
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Nothingface
Rage Against The Machine
Trivium (this is the band he wanted me to check out the most)

Anything worth getting into on this list?

Combichristoffersen

EzLink said:
Amon Amarth
Children of Bodom

Dimmu Borgir

Hammerfall

Iced Earth

^ My picks. Even though I personally despise Iced Earth (except for Burnt Offerings), I guess you might like it if you're into 80s heavy metal/thrash metal.

yacobod

Banned
EzLink said:
Amon Amarth
Children of Bodom
Hammerfall

Amon Amarth - Once Sent From the Golden Hall, With Oden on Our Side, pretty much all their albums are solid tho
Children of Bodom - avoid their new material at all costs, Something Wild and Hatebreeder are still fun albums tho
Hammerfall - Legacy of Kings is a pretty great power metal album, LET THE HAMMER
FALL

Phobophile said:
Deathspell Omega.

Well put. Deathspell Omega is one of my favorite bands.
Finally got my official DSO t-shirt (the 'new' logo) from Mikko Aspa a couple of weeks ago.

Also, I'm fucking psyched for Dimensional Bleedthrough.

ACE 1991

EzLink said:
So a friend of mine dumped a bunch of new bands on me the other day. Some I've heard of, some I haven't, but there's quite a bit of stuff and I don't want to waste my time on bands that aren't worth it. Here's the list:

Amon Amarth

Children of Bodom
Chimaira
Dimmu Borgir
The Faceless
Flaw
Hammerfall
The Human Abstract
Iced Earth
Lacuna Coil
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Nothingface
Rage Against The Machine

Fucking this. So good.

Ceres

Banned
momolicious said:

If you want something really similar to Nightwish, give Edenbridge a try. Can't recommend an album since I personally don't care for them.
Another great band is After Forever. I'd stay start out with Decipher but their last two are simply amazing although very different from the earlier stuff. If you like early After Forever, try out Epica since the guitarist/growler left due to some conflicts and he basically started off from where Decipher ended while After Forever developed a more progressive sound. Floor is one of my favorite vocalists but unfortunately AF broke up last year and she's starting a new project now expected to release an album sometime in 2010.

Sandman42

NameGenerated said:
Gama Bomb has their new album up for free to download.

http://mail.earache.com/gamabomb/

Just finished it. It's pretty much the same as their last album 'Citizen Brain', 2 to 3 minute thrash songs, not much variation. Try it out to see if you like it, got nothing to lose.
Pretty much just Citizen Brain pt. 2. Kinda fun thrash metal, but nothing special.

ACE 1991

Also, I recently started to listen to Opeth. Structurally (not stylistically) they remind me of Between the Buried and Me, (although Opeth obviously came first) with lots of loud growling parts juxtaposed with softer, more melodic parts.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
EzLink said:

Amon Amarth
Children of Bodom
Chimaira
Dimmu Borgir
The Faceless
Flaw
Hammerfall
The Human Abstract
Iced Earth
Lacuna Coil
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Nothingface
Rage Against The Machine

A lot of those bands are pretty terrible (Trivium included).

Machine Head's first album (Burn My Eyes) is good, but you should avoid almost everything else by them. I might be biased, though, since I loved it in the 90's and remember it fondly... I'm not sure how well it's held up for others.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Did anyone here buy the album 'Virus' by Hypocrisy? I noticed some of the tracks have glitchy/scratchy sounds on them so I tried re-importing it onto my computer with the correction enabled but they are still there. In looking it up I saw on Wikipedia "Some early pressings have an error where a scratch sound can be heard on tracks 6 and 11. Nuclear Blast has stated they will mail a replacement disc to anyone who has one of these glitched discs. See Hypocrisy's official website for more details on the issue."

Has anyone done this? I looked around both the Nuclear Blast site and the Hypocrisy site but I couldn't find anything. It's really annoying.

wRATH2x

Banned
Phobophile said:
If you end up doing so, give it several listens. I listened to it once shortly after it was released and kinda prematurely and it didn't click with me until I was listening to it with headphones on the train one day.

Black metal, especially as complex and layered as DSO really is best fully appreciated with some headphones to pick up on all the slight nuances and intonations.
Alright than, I'll do that.

And to the guy with the list: I fucking love Rage Against The Machine, but there not exactly Metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom