• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceres

Banned
I'm finally starting to really give Orphaned Land's The Never Ending Way of ORWarriOR some time.

ffffffffffff... This may be better than Mabool. It's a far harder album to really get into but so rewarding.

Oh man I got this yesterday. It's so good I cried a little. There's magnetics in the box making it extremly hard to open.

The tv b gone thing also works extremly well, now I just need to get out there and do that shit when there's champions league matches. :lol

o0q5tz.jpg

2porrli.jpg

Ravager61

Milk Lizard said:
Oh man I got this yesterday. It's so good I cried a little. There's magnetics in the box making it extremly hard to open.

The tv b gone thing also works extremly well, now I just need to get out there and do that shit when there's champions league matches. :lol

Ok, we get that you like DEP. I don't think you have made 1 post in this thread that hasn't been about them. Do you even listen to anything else?

CassSept

iamaustrian said:
http://i41.tinypic.com/15i1zs8.jpg[IMG]

"what's my name???"
"DAVE MUSTAINE!!!"[/QUOTE]
I see this, and I raise you this:
[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/4v1ymd.jpg
Megadeth AND Slayer AND Metallica AND Mastodon.

CassSept said:
I see this, and I raise you this:
http://i41.tinypic.com/4v1ymd.jpg[IMG]
Megadeth AND Slayer AND Metallica AND Mastodon.[/QUOTE]

Thank god I don't give a single shit about dave-lombardo-slayer and nowadays-metallica.
They could both dissolve tomorrow and I wouldn't care at all. in fact, i would appreciate their decisions.
mastodon rock though

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Bought my ticket for Gorguts / Portal / Krallice / Bloody Panda in May. Jesus fuck, what a show! Can't wait to see the new Gorguts line-up — hoping they'll play material from all of the LPs. Also got a ticket for the Alcest / Have a Nice Life show in CT. I'll probably end up staying in a shitty New Haven hotel for the night, but it'll be worth it.

Ravager61

vatstep said:
Bought my ticket for Gorguts / Portal / Krallice / Bloody Panda in May. Jesus fuck, what a show! Can't wait to see the new Gorguts line-up — hoping they'll play material from all of the LPs. Also got a ticket for the Alcest / Have a Nice Life show in CT. I'll probably end up staying in a shitty New Haven hotel for the night, but it'll be worth it.

Those are definitely some killer shows. I'm very upset that the Gorguts tour isn't coming anywhere close to me.

Phobophile said:
The new Alcest is definitely more black metal. I'm fucking loving it. It's less atmospheric and shoegazey and so has a bit more darker-sounding post-punk but it's still much more black metal than Souvenirs. Definitely top 10 material of 2010.

Do you mean the split? I haven't seen a new Alcest LP around. Would buy instantly though. (I can't find the split usually either)

Phobophile said:
You want a grater with that cheese? :lol

My friend, if this is cheese then it is a fine aged wheel of parmigiano reggiano that I want to grate all over my naked body.

I love Rhapsody, and I love this song. Can't wait for the new album.

EzLink said:
Horns up motherfucker!

I'm so jealous. I wanted to see their rust tour so fucking badly but the closest they were playing was 5 hours away, plus I'm pretty strapped for cash. Still get to see them on American Carnage tour but it won't be as good as seeing RIP being played in its entirety :(

Have a great fucking time tonight and be sure to report back with how fucking awesome it is! Also let me know if Testament plays through The Legacy... I read that they were gonna do that for the RIP tour, but I also read they were gonna play through it for the Carnage tour as well. And I thought it was odd they would do the same thing on both

Sadly, the night didn't go as planned. Exodus and Testament played well, and were very good. Unfortunately though, Megadeth were plagued with sound problems and cut the night short after 3 songs that sounded like someone burping into the house PA. Crowd was PISSED, as should be expected. They did a make up show the next day, but I live 100 miles north of Baltimore and just couldn't find the time to make the drive on a weekday twice in one week. : /

That was my one chance to see RIP live, and now like that it's gone. Fuck.

Ravager61

SaggyMonkey said:
Do you mean the split? I haven't seen a new Alcest LP around. Would buy instantly though. (I can't find the split usually either)

No, there's a new full length out this month. Its call Écailles de Lune. Releases officially on the 29th I think.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Saw Exodus, Testament, and Megadeth last night.
Exodus was kind of meh
Testament was much better
Megadeth was awesome except Dave's mic was borked from the beginning until they replaced it after hangar 18. And his guitar was all over the place from sounding good to way too loud and distorted. We surmised it was only distorted for Rust in Peace because he cant exactly play all the riffs anymore.

jay

Megadeth's playing all of Rust in Peace? I need to go buy tickets. Also, I saw Testament on their last tour and it was the worst show I've seen them do of about five shows. Please, tell me more about Nostradamus.

On an unrelated note, the song on the front page of Dark Tranquillity's site doesn't seem particularly good.

EzLink

Banned
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but Blind Guardian released a teaser for their upcoming album (apparently they are going to do multiple teasers, this one focuses on drums)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWut-x9Yo4Y

Sounding fucking awesome

Even though BG is my favorite band, I haven't listened to them in quite a while. But recently I've been listening to this song a lot. Such a fucking great piece of work

"My sell out waits till Im crucified. I will die before my vision ends"/"hit me, nail me, make me god"

Hansi is such a great lyricist. I just wish he would put those talents to use on more songs dealing with real topics instead of bullshit fantasy stuff. Oh well, at least there is going to be a fucking SONG OF ICE AND FIRE track on the new album!

Ravager61

EzLink said:
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but Blind Guardian released a teaser for their upcoming album (apparently they are going to do multiple teasers, this one focuses on drums)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWut-x9Yo4Y

Sounding fucking awesome

Even though BG is my favorite band, I haven't listened to them in quite a while. But recently I've been listening to this song a lot. Such a fucking great piece of work

"My sell out waits till Im crucified. I will die before my vision ends"/"hit me, nail me, make me god"

Hansi is such a great lyricist. I just wish he would put those talents to use on more songs dealing with real topics instead of bullshit fantasy stuff. Oh well, at least there is going to be a fucking SONG OF ICE AND FIRE track on the new album!

That would be the worst thing ever.

EzLink

Banned
Ravager61 said:
That would be the worst thing ever.

Why? It's not like they don't already have plenty of fantasy material. And songs like Punishment Divine shows that he can write great lyrics about other interesting topics

Ravager61

EzLink said:
Why? It's not like they don't already have plenty of fantasy material. And songs like Punishment Divine shows that he can write great lyrics about other interesting topics

Their lyrics fit their music and are a big part of their image. It would just be awkward.

EzLink

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Their lyrics fit their music and are a big part of their image. It would just be awkward.

Nothing wrong with bands diversifying and not being pigeon holed into one particular genre or "image".

That being said, I never expected this new album to stray from fantasy lyrics, nor do I ever expect BG to get away from that. And they do fit that niche rather perfectly. It just seems that there is a lot of untapped potential for them in that area

Going to see Sonata Arctica in Philly tommorow, can't wait! I can't deny, I'm hoping for a lot of pre-Unia material to be played.

Also, to add something to the Blind Guardian conversation, It doesn't seem to matter where Hansi draws the inspiration from his lyrics from. They always end up being very well done, aside from maybe some of the early stuff in their career. Fantasy, history, or religion, it doesn't matter to me.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder which will come true first if either:

Wintersun's second album being released
or
Lost Horizon finding a new singer.

I'm still praying for both to come true some day.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
EzLink said:

Sounding fucking awesome
Yup, a lot more Nightfall in the Middle-Earth like. Which is IMO very very good thing. :D

sazabirules said:
I wonder which will come true first if either:

Wintersun's second album being released
or
Lost Horizon finding a new singer.

I'm still praying for both to come true some day.

Oh dear lord, I want both right now. All over my face.

Who ever has to fill Daniel Heiman's shoes in LH (if anyone ever does) has one of the toughest jobs on earth. I wouldn't want to be that guy.

yacobod

Banned
DrM said:
Yup, a lot more Nightfall in the Middle-Earth like. Which is IMO very very good thing. :D

am i the only person that thinks nightfall sucks, BG has been all downhill since imaginations on the other side, they were a much better speed metal band, at least tokyo tales preserves that period of the band for me :)

yacobod said:
am i the only person that thinks nightfall sucks, BG has been all downhill since imaginations on the other side, they were a much better speed metal band, at least tokyo tales preserves that period of the band for me :)

Nightfall, imo, is a masterpiece. I love it, it's probably my favorite album of all time. Definitely the big turning point in the band's sound though, so I can see why someone who loves their early material isn't a fan.

I love all eras of the band's work, and the only album that they have that isn't god teir is A Twist in the Myth, which is still very good. I'm very pleased with the tiny sound snippet from the teaser for the new album, and I can't wait to hear more. Sick riffage.

Since I'm bored at work, I suppose I'll list my fave BG albums in order.

1. Nightfall in Middle-Earth
2. Imaginations from the Other Side
3. Somewhere Far Beyond
4. Tales from the Twilight World
5. Batallions of Fear
6. A Night at the Opera
7. Follow the Blind
8. A Twist in the Myth

Damn, that was harder than I thought it would be. :D

yacobod

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
3. Somewhere Far Beyond
5. Batallions of Fear
6. A Night at the Opera
7. Follow the Blind
8. A Twist in the Myth

1. TftTW favorite BG album by far
----------------
2. SFB
3. FtB
4. BoF
5. IftOS
6. NiME
7. ANatO
8. ATitM

i basically hate the last 3 albums, i really dont like the new direction of the band, but i look forward to seeing them live when they come back to the states to hear some old classics

EzLink

Banned
Cool I guess I'll list my favorite BG albums too

Nightfall In Middle-Earth
Imaginations From The Other Side
A Night At The Opera
A Twist In The Myth (does not understand how people consider this one of their weakest)
Somewhere Far Beyond
Tales From The Twilight World (I need to listen to this one more though, I think it could potentially move up higher on my list)
Follow The Blind
Battalions of Fear

Hoping this next one can somehow make it into my top three

yacobod said:
i basically hate the last 3 albums, i really dont like the new direction of the band, but i look forward to seeing them live when they come back to the states to hear some old classics

Agh, that sucks you don't like the last 3, but luckily for you when they play stuff off of those albums live things are simplified and performed with much more "oomph", by neccessity of course. And they will always play Majesty and Welcome to Dying at least. :D

And Link, while I really like TitM, it just lacks power to me. I'm not sure what it is about it, could be the production, but it just isn't as brilliant as their other albums.

rexor0717

DieH@rd said:
Rhapsody of Fire has posted another preview of their new upcoming album "Frozen tears of Angels"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hepj8stosf0

MADE FROM WIN. SO SHORT BUT SO EPIC. ~40 days to album rls.
Oh shit, new Rhapsody! I will own this.

TheLastCandle said:
Since I'm bored at work, I suppose I'll list my fave BG albums in order.

3. Somewhere Far Beyond
5. Batallions of Fear
6. A Night at the Opera
7. Follow the Blind
8. A Twist in the Myth

Damn, that was harder than I thought it would be. :D

Why do people dislike Twist in the Myth so much? I guess I'm biased because it was the first album I listened to, then I went back and listened to their other stuff. I can definitely agree that Nightfall is their best.

I can't believe I've never posted in this tread before. There are a lot of good recommendations in here.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hm, they went through very difficult period between AnaTO and ATitM - Thomen left, some major fricitions inside the band, new drummer arrived, so all this left mark on the ATitM - as TheLastCandle said, it lacks power, but atleast is not so overproduced like ANatO.

When will Primordial release their new cd? Any info?

lopaz said:
You guys are insane not liking follow the blind >: (

I freaking love Follow the Blind! Their discography is so good overall, that even the lower ranking albums on my list are still great! :D Banish from Sanctuary is a killer opener in particular.

Ceres

Banned
lopaz said:
You guys are insane not liking follow the blind >: (

It's more a sign of what was most likely the first album listened to for a lot of people. Follow the Blind is pretty different from Nightfall and Imaginations which for a lot of people were their first introduction to the band.

CassSept

TheLastCandle said:
And they will always play Majesty and Welcome to Dying at least. :D
Really?
:D
They are coming to Warsaw this october and as I should have already moved there by that time I wanted to go to their concert.... and Welcome to Dying is my favorite BG song. Overall as an album I'd rate NiM-E higher than TftTW, but Welcome to Dying is absolutely amazing.

FINALLY SAW CROWBAR LAST NIGHT!!!! :D

One of my top 5 bands ever that now I can cross off my list of bands to see.
I normally don't approach bands after the concerts but this time I went to Kirk and thanked him for coming to Spain to play. He just looked at me and went straight to talk to some groupie slut dressed in can-can clothes with Dcup sized boobs that was at the merch table :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom