• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
I'm an entry-level metal guy. I have pretty much everything by Metallica, Maiden and Sabbath, as well as a few other essentials (Reign in Blood, Rust in Peace, Nightfall in Middle Earth, Deliverance).

Given that I'm not a huge fan of bands that only do the growl/demon style vocals (but I can deal with it if it's mixed in with normal vocals and good melodies, like with Opeth), and that I really like the massive guitar riffs and melodic leads of Metallica/Maiden, where should I go from here?

El_Victor

DieH@rd said:
And here is the full version of Reign of Terror. Win!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5TahJTMjU

:D
And here is the full version of On the way to Ainor (from the promo, so there's an annoying watermark in there):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNS6Sej7zr0

I'm glad to see that the masters of cheese are back. I detest power metal like Dragonforce (which is hypocritical I guess, since they are so similar), but there's something with Rhapsody that makes me overlook the clichés. Maybe it's because they invented them, maybe it's nostalgia. Maybe it's because Luca and Alex are crazy enough to actually think that the songs they make are fucking awesome. Whatever, these two songs are damn great and I can't wait for the new album!

lopaz

Banned
Puddles said:
I'm an entry-level metal guy. I have pretty much everything by Metallica, Maiden and Sabbath, as well as a few other essentials (Reign in Blood, Rust in Peace, Nightfall in Middle Earth, Deliverance).

Given that I'm not a huge fan of bands that only do the growl/demon style vocals (but I can deal with it if it's mixed in with normal vocals and good melodies, like with Opeth), and that I really like the massive guitar riffs and melodic leads of Metallica/Maiden, where should I go from here?

Metallica + Maiden = Iced Earth

Night of the Stormrider and Something Wicked this Way Comes are their best imo

wRATH2x

Banned
Puddles said:

PM me all that you have heard and I'll recommend some stuff.

ACE 1991

Puddles said:

If you liked Opeth, you should look at Between the Buried and Me (I mentioned them in my post above :lol) they're more progressive metal, but they mix in more melodic and mellow parts into their songs. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZQUQjL6s7Y&feature=channel it's an absolutely incredible song.

CassSept

Insane Metal said:
Also, the horror show.
I'd also recommend Framing Armageddon. While it's worse than these 3 albums, it has some pretty damn good songs.
Blind Guardian's basically every album, maybe apart from A Twist in the Myth.
Megadeth's latest album (Endgame) would also definitely fit your tastes, from what you've described.

I'll get these/this week the new Hour Of Penance. And i pre-ordered the new Defeated Sanity album with a hoodie. DS is my favourite band. I love brutal technical death metal. :)

American Head Charge
619C8OeHfqL._SS500_.jpg

Just so You know

Seamless

All Wrapped Up

TheFeeding.jpg

Pledge Allegiance

Ridicule

Take What I've Taken

To Be Me

I'm going to see Mutiny Within tomorrow, should be pretty good from what I've seen on youtube. Probably going to leave after their set, don't care much for Sonata Artica.

Mr. Perfect said:
I'm going to see Mutiny Within tomorrow, should be pretty good from what I've seen on youtube. Probably going to leave after their set, don't care much for Sonata Artica.

Saw the first MW/SA of this current tour in Philly 2 weeks or so ago. Great show, Sonata Arctica were awesome. Wasn't a giant fan of MW, but Powerglove were a fun time as always.

yacobod

Banned
lopaz said:
Metallica + Maiden + Paul Stanley vocals = Iced Earth

Night of the Stormrider and Something Wicked this Way Comes are their best imo

fixed for you, but the end product is pretty crappy, i'd avoid iced earth for the most part

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
yacobod said:
fixed for you, but the end product is pretty crappy, i'd avoid iced earth for the most part

What's wrong with the two albums that were recommended and what would you suggest instead of Iced Earth?

Leonsito

Picked up this last month:

IMG_0184.jpg

In preparation for this:

51XKf4iZzKL._SS400_.jpg

I hope they are at the same level as The Scarecrow, if this is another Lost In Space 1 + 2 they will end in a fire.

Night of the Stormrider through Horror Show are all great albums, some better than others obviously. It was after that that the quality started to waver and then nosedive with the latest one.

The Paul Stanley analogy applies only during certain songs and only when he busts out his highest notes. The one time I can hear it pretty obviously is during the song "Stand Alone" on Something Wicked. I can almost vision Paul Stanley puckering his lips when I listen to that song. But I enjoy Paul Stanley, so it's pretty amusing.

sazabirules said:
What's wrong with the two albums that were recommended and what would you suggest instead of Iced Earth?

Nothing wrong with Stormrider, fantastic album and although Iced Earth aren't my favourite band on record they are freaking awesome live.

Puddles said:

Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHGN0GaKfk This version is great. Barlow vocals with the extended intro and superior instrumentals of the original release.

TheLastCandle said:
Saw the first MW/SA of this current tour in Philly 2 weeks or so ago. Great show, Sonata Arctica were awesome. Wasn't a giant fan of MW, but Powerglove were a fun time as always.

Glad you enjoyed Sonata. They came to my town a little over a year ago when touring with Nightwish, who had to cancel - so Sonata Arctica played an extra-long set for free. Everybody got a refund, and I spent mine at the merch booth. :lol Great band, great bunch of guys. If only they'd release another full on power metal album.
Not a fan of Days of Grays.

Did you stick around to meet them? They usually go out of their way to be available to their fans after shows. My girlfriend and I had something like a 45 minute curbside conversation with Tony when they came to Knoxville.

EzLink

Banned
So are any of you that are into BG fans of them on facebook? They have been posting stuff almost daily, I love waking up in the morning to info from my favorite band!

"A voice, can you hear it? It is "A Voice in the Dark" and it will be the first single from the new album! Joining it on the single will be "War of the Thrones" and "You're the Voice" (a John Farnham song). More details to come as they are confirmed..."

Ohoho yes

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Glad you enjoyed Sonata. They came to my town a little over a year ago when touring with Nightwish, who had to cancel - so Sonata Arctica played an extra-long set for free. Everybody got a refund, and I spent mine at the merch booth. :lol Great band, great bunch of guys. If only they'd release another full on power metal album.
Not a fan of Days of Grays.

Did you stick around to meet them? They usually go out of their way to be available to their fans after shows. My girlfriend and I had something like a 45 minute curbside conversation with Tony when they came to Knoxville.

I also saw a show in Baltimore where Nightwish had to cancel and I got to see SA for free. Great show, my friend and I were front and center. I must admit, I am with you on hoping for something more akin to the first 4 albums when their next release comes around, but I don't see it happening. Flag in the Ground was such a tease. :lol

Sonata are my fiance's favorite band and we had every intention of waiting for them to come out after the show for pics and stuff, but we were exhausted and we had to drive 2 hours to get home (from Philly to Harrisburg) so we booked it after 15 or so minutes of waiting. Turns out they didn't come out for another hour or so, so we didn't regret it too much.

Oh, and Link, I do subscribe to BG's facebook page. They update all the time and it is a delight. :D

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Dr. Strangelove said:
Time to bring some brutality back into this thread. Two albums I've been playing nonstop recently:

Hooded Menace Never Cross the Dead - Crushing doom-tinged death metal. So god damn heavy.
http://www.myspace.com/hoodedmenace

Black breath Heavy Breathing - Debut full-length. Crusty punk/metal. Definite influence from bands like Discharge and Entombed. Absolutely ferocious.
http://www.myspace.com/blackbreath
Oh man I gotta check out that second album. I've been spinning a lot of Darkthrone's newest, Circle the Wagons, (probably their best black metal/crust album yet) with some older Celtic Frost and Dishammer (Discharge + Hellhammer = how original haha) put out an album last year that's pretty solid and incredibly catchy. I really can't stand punk and its subgenres for the most part, but I love it when it's mixed with metal, especially black metal.

As for that Hooded Menace, I gave their Myspace samples a listen and I wasn't too intrigued, mostly because I was misled into believing it was more death/thrash than doomy old-school DM. I'll have to give it a proper listen, though.

Zozobra

That Black Breath isn't quite what I was hoping for after how much I enjoyed 'Razor to Oblivion'. Nothing you probably haven't already heard before, but a solid album nonetheless.

Puddles said:

If you dig Opeth, odds are you'll appreciate Edge of Sanity. They're another progressive death metal type band from the same scene. Check out Crimson 1 and 2 and Purgatory Afterglow (Crimson features Åkerfeldt on guest vocals). They're mostly growled but Swano does some clean vocals too.

Also, Katatonia's releases with Åkerfeldt on vocals are amazing. Brave Murder Day and Sounds of Decay are essential. The first has some songs with clean vocals (not by Åkerfeldt though). But if you're anything like me, you'll be used to his growls after a little while. Might as well continue with something you're familiar with.

If you want more Maiden-esque stuff, you should definitely check out Bruce Dickinsons solo career, especially the last three albums. It's essentially a slightly heavier version of Iron Maiden. Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding (the best one) both feature Adrian Smith from Maiden on guitar so there's the riffs have a very familiar feeling, but veer slightly more towards the heavy compared to Maidens harmonics. I've mentioned it before in this thread, but Bruce's solo stuff is really underrated.

Finally, keep listening to growling stuff, you'll get used to it eventually.

You might also want to check out the whole Sludge scene, bands like Isis usually get crossover fans who aren't really metal-people, despite using harsh (and clean) vocals.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Phobophile said:
Oh man I gotta check out that second album. I've been spinning a lot of Darkthrone's newest, Circle the Wagons, (probably their best black metal/crust album yet) with some older Celtic Frost and Dishammer (Discharge + Hellhammer = how original haha) put out an album last year that's pretty solid and incredibly catchy. I really can't stand punk and its subgenres for the most part, but I love it when it's mixed with metal, especially black metal.
The new Darkthrone kicks tremendous amounts of ass. The Black Breath album isn't on the same level as Circle the Wagons, but it's a fun little album.

Zozobra said:
That Black Breath isn't quite what I was hoping for after how much I enjoyed 'Razor to Oblivion'. Nothing you probably haven't already heard before, but a solid album nonetheless.
Initially, I wasn't digging Heavy Breathing as much because it's a bit different from Razor to Oblivion. The second listen definitely clicked with me though. They remind me somewhat of Cursed at times.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Time to bring some brutality back into this thread. Two albums I've been playing nonstop recently:

Hooded Menace Never Cross the Dead - Crushing doom-tinged death metal. So god damn heavy.

Hooded Menace are awesome. Some good ole heavy doom/death metal.

I've been digging Repugnant for a while. I can't believe they flew under the radar for me. Pretty much a culmination of old Stockholm Swedish death metal mixed in with some Slayer "Show No Mercy" riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJhlRPksPk

and speaking of old Swedish death meta fucking FURBOWL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYZYiybgrg

Phobophile

Zozobra said:

Ok this has the Dismember buzzsaw guitar tone with the blackened old-school DM tremolo picking. There is no way I'm not gonna like this. The vocals are fucking weak since hardcore shouts are fucking pussy as hell but this first sample on their Myspace is good.

TheLastCandle said:
I also saw a show in Baltimore where Nightwish had to cancel and I got to see SA for free. Great show, my friend and I were front and center. I must admit, I am with you on hoping for something more akin to the first 4 albums when their next release comes around, but I don't see it happening. Flag in the Ground was such a tease. :lol

Sonata are my fiance's favorite band and we had every intention of waiting for them to come out after the show for pics and stuff, but we were exhausted and we had to drive 2 hours to get home (from Philly to Harrisburg) so we booked it after 15 or so minutes of waiting. Turns out they didn't come out for another hour or so, so we didn't regret it too much.

Haha, they're my girlfriend's favorite band, too. :D And I hate to agree with you on this, but you're probably right - we're only going to start seeing more songs like "Zeroes" and "The Last Amazing Grays" from Tony et al in the future, which is disappointing. That's not to say they're not good songs; it's just not Sonata Arctica to me.

Anyway, we're going to see them in Atlanta soon. Last year, they played "White Pearl, Black Ocean" in full and the girlfriend missed it. Hopefully, this year will make up for that!

Fusebox

Banned
Puddles said:

Cynic - Traced In Air will change your life (not really, but damn it's good)

cynic_-_traced_in_air.jpg

Ravager61

Dr. Strangelove said:

Black breath Heavy Breathing - Debut full-length. Crusty punk/metal. Definite influence from bands like Discharge and Entombed. Absolutely ferocious.
http://www.myspace.com/blackbreath

Hooded Menace are the shit. Black breath are pretty good too. They kind of remind me of Trap Them but with less grind.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Blind Guardian Facebook page: "The release date for the "A Voice in the Dark" single will be June 25, 2010."

Acheteedo

Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is the perfect black metal album. I'd post the cover but it's probably bannable.

That's a shame about Pete. TON were a great band with some classic songs. Can't say I'm shocked though, the dude lived it up in his 48 years.

RIP Pete.

Phobophile

This thread is commendable on how mockery-free it has been but there are just certain moments...

I actually like PEM by Dimmu quite a bit, but calling it the "perfect black metal album" is gonna get a lot of raised eyebrows.

In terms of black metal, I'm not a giant fan of the first wave aside from Bathory. The raw stuff doesn't do a hell of a lot for me, but I'm more into Power/Traditional metal anyways. I like Emperor a lot, but they decided to get rather proggy as they went on. Immortal are good too. Where am I going with this? :lol

Edit: My opinion on the "perfect black metal album", is The Gathering Wilderness by Primordial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom