• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
EzLink said:
The guitarist just needs to hook up with Hansi again for some more Demons & Wizards goodness. First album was a fucking masterpiece, second one was a bit of a letdown. But I definately think they still have room to do some more great things
They are working on it when they have some time. Hansi is now busy with new BG album, which should be ready this September (can't wait!)

They are great live, i saw them several years ago.
Playlist (probably forgot song or two) : Intro + Into the Storm, Welcome to Dying, Nightfall, And then there was Silence, Valhalla,Punishment Divine, Imaginations from the other side, Lost in the Twilight Hall, Fly,The Bard's Song, Bright eyes, Time Stands Still (at the Iron hill), And the Story Ends, Mirror Mirror

Ravager61

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ravager61 said:
Holy shit. I will probably go to that Chicago date. Have a Nice Life is playing with them on some dates who are also amazing (though not metal).

I am actually listening to their new album now for the first time and I like it a lot. Its different than Souvenirs for sure but its good.
I'm really, really hoping that Have a Nice Life will play the Boston date. If not, I'd consider going to the CT or NY shows for them. They're actually playing their first live show ever tonight in NYC, and I was originally planning on going, but can't make it.

Definitely excited to see what Maiden are gonna cook up for their next American tour. It's gonna be ridiculously hard to top the setlist on the last tour, though. I see them every time they come around though, one of the best live bands in history. Bruce still runs around like a man possessed.

Also, it thrills me that a few of you checked out Primordial and dug them. I would agree they certainly aren't typical black metal. They remind me a lot of Bathory's more epic work. I was never a huge fan of the really raw, tremolo picked style of BM, but I can dig some of it if I'm in the mood.

Zero Hero

A friend said I should check out Charred Walls of the Damned. I'm fucking loving the album!!!

First single "Ghost Town" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0zgXAV6Do
http://www.myspace.com/charredwallsofthedamned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charred_Walls_of_the_Damned

Charred Walls of the Damned are an American heavy metal supergroup formed in 2009 consisting of Richard Christy, Steve DiGiorgio, Tim "Ripper" Owens and Jason Suecof.[1] The band was formed by Christy after a five year absence from the metal scene, since joining The Howard Stern Show in July 2004. Their self-titled debut album was released on February 2, 2010.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

EzLink

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
Holy shit, even bigger news out of that, for me, is that they have a new album coming out! (none of those dates are close to me :*( ) I listened to their last one over and over for months.

In other news, the new High on Fire is grand. Also, new Finntroll and Burzum are worth checking out.

I've heard a few Finntroll songs here and there, but have never committed to purchasing a full album. Would their newest be a decent enough place to start? I'm trying to expand my music catalogue anyway (and stay current) by picking up all good metal releases of 2010

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
EzLink said:
I've heard a few Finntroll songs here and there, but have never committed to purchasing a full album. Would their newest be a decent enough place to start? I'm trying to expand my music catalogue anyway (and stay current) by picking up all good metal releases of 2010

I'm not really a Finntroll expert, but I'd say (after a few listens) that their latest is as good a place as any to start. I have their last two before this one, and they are great as well. Odd folk metal isn't exactly everyone's cup o' tea, but listening to them brings a smile to my face and makes me want to headbang here at my desk at the office, so that's good enough for me hehe.

EzLink

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
I'm not really a Finntroll expert, but I'd say (after a few listens) that their latest is as good a place as any to start. I have their last two before this one, and they are great as well. Odd folk metal isn't exactly everyone's cup o' tea, but listening to them brings a smile to my face and makes me want to headbang here at my desk at the office, so that's good enough for me hehe.

I love me some folk metal. I'm sure I'd really love Finntroll if I listened to them extensively, I just haven't gotten around to that yet

Also what is GAFs policy on discussing torrenting music? I'm going to go ahead and assume it is off limits but I figured I'd check just in case

If anyone watched Dillingers live practice/premier of new video/chatting with fans on justin.tv I was the guy who called one of them and read gay fan fiction.

Masenkame

AgentWhiskersX said:
Yeah, here you go. We recorded this a few years back but it gives you a general idea of what we sound like.

That's awesome, fun grind with some catchy riffing, Andrew Ryan, and y'all are from Saudia Arabia?! Cool mix, how's the metal scene in SA?

vatstep said:
Alcest announced a small North American tour, for anyone interested:

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=866&Itemid=2

Alcest and Have a Nice Life are great, I will have to check this out.

EzLink

Banned
Do any of you use music subscription sites? This is probably a dumb question but can you burn cds from the music you are subscribing too? I know I'd get my moneys worth from a site like that if you could (cruising to metal is one of the few easily accessible joys in life for me), but I'm guessing that isn't how it works sense there would be nothing stopping you from keeping that music permanently in your collection.

As cheap as ten dollars per album originally seemed to me a few years ago when i first started using itunes, it adds up incredibly fast when you listen to a lot of music. Sucks

EzLink

Banned
Blind Guardian: "No rest for the wicked. Oliver and Jan need to go back to "Tanelorn (Into the Void)" and do some minor corrections in the solo part before they join in the "War of Thrones". Coincidence or not we will never find out, cause the wheel weaves as the wheel will, as we all know."

^^^
From their facebook today. I'm going to go ahead and assume "War of Thrones" is the title of their A Song of Ice and Fire song. Which I still can't believe they are doing

My favorite band in the world singing about my favorite book series in the world? fuck yes

EzLink said:
Blind Guardian: "No rest for the wicked. Oliver and Jan need to go back to "Tanelorn (Into the Void)" and do some minor corrections in the solo part before they join in the "War of Thrones". Coincidence or not we will never find out, cause the wheel weaves as the wheel will, as we all know."

^^^
From their facebook today. I'm going to go ahead and assume "War of Thrones" is the title of their A Song of Ice and Fire song. Which I still can't believe they are doing

My favorite band in the world singing about my favorite book series in the world? fuck yes

Glorious. Some of my favorite books as well! This album is gonna kick ass. :D

Continuing my quest of exploring my metal horizons I listened to Helstar today, their album "Nosferatu" in particular. I suppose you could call them Power-Thrash, but they also have a little bit of a neoclassical edge in their riffing as well. I honestly don't think I've ever heard a band with a traditional overall sound change riffs as often as this band. It was like a damn rollercoaster. I'm pretty sure there are no less than 12 different riffs in 2 minute spans all across the album. It was honestly really hard for it all to sink in as I was at work while listening, but it definitely was an enjoyable experience overall.

faridmon

Theater of Tragedy on facebook said:
THE THEATRE IS CLOSING DOWN
Today at 22:21
After nearly 17 years in existence Theatre of Tragedy has decided to call it a day and close down.
This has not been an easy decision to make and we have thought about this for a long long time. We finally agreed to this during the production of our latest album "Forever is the world".

Theatre of Tragedy will come to an end on October 2nd 2010, exactly 17 years after we started making music together.
Over the years all of us have strived to combine the Theatre with everyday life but in the end it has proven more and more difficult.
We have come to appreciate our family lives and jobs, which makes it very hard to continue this life of rock'n'roll on the road.

We know that some of you will probably be very disappointed, but we also hope you will continue to listen to our music, which all of you learned to appreciate and love so much.

We want to thank everyone of you for all your support over the past 17 years!
Theatre of Tragedy wouldn't have been possible without you!
Be sure to catch us on the last Theatre of Tragedy shows ever this year! The final gig will take place on October 2nd in Stavanger, where it all began.

Our music will live on... and forever is the world.

Theatre of Tragedy
man this sucks, i decided to go their gig this month for the first time since i was always a casual fan of theirs and no this happens.

someone hold me :(

faridmon

man, i can't believe this, why are all the bands i love disband or go to hiatus? just last month AciD FLavoR disbanded.
i feel depressed.

Zero Hero

lopaz said:
The song's not that great, but goddamn if Tim Owens doesn't have the world's nicest voice <3

The whole album is good. It's just a little refreshing change from the growling that dominates metal today.

EzLink said:
Iron Maiden touring with Dream Theater. Holy fucking shit

That is all

EDIT: ironmaiden.com

Yeah, that is an INSANE bill. I have to go. I always lose my mind whenever I get started on how awesome Maiden are live and how I'll go see them every single time they come near. Also, Dream Theater are one of the very few bands that I've been into a very long time that I haven't had the chance to see live yet. I must go to this, and it's looking like the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel. I hate that fucking drive, but it will be worth it. :D

Quick news update from the Dragonforce front:

"It is with great regret that DragonForce announce a parting of the ways with singer ZP Theart. This is due to insurmountable differences of musical opinion but the rest of the band sincerely wishes ZP great success with his future projects.” While the creative core members have begun writing the fifth album, they have also started a worldwide search for a new vocalist. “We are looking for a powerful, melodic singer to write a new chapter of DragonForce with us.” said guitarist Herman Li."

Crud. I know this will get some cheers from the haters, but I actually rather enjoy Dragonforce for what they were, and I thought ZP was a good frontman. Hearing that he left due to musical differences is interesting to hear, due that he is unqeustionably a power metal singer and I don't see DF changing styles... well, ever. Maybe he wanted to so domething a bit more traditional.

Anyways, I'm sure this means Tim Owens will now be DF's new singer. The only thing their live show was missing was shadowboxing.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Ravager61 said:
Holy shit. I will probably go to that Chicago date. Have a Nice Life is playing with them on some dates who are also amazing (though not metal).

I am actually listening to their new album now for the first time and I like it a lot. Its different than Souvenirs for sure but its good.

The new Alcest is definitely more black metal. I'm fucking loving it. It's less atmospheric and shoegazey and so has a bit more darker-sounding post-punk but it's still much more black metal than Souvenirs. Definitely top 10 material of 2010.

Zeke

fuck me june 12th three days after my B-day is it bad I want to see Dream Theater more than Maiden? So whats the consensus on Black Label Society?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Masenkame said:
That's awesome, fun grind with some catchy riffing, Andrew Ryan, and y'all are from Saudia Arabia?! Cool mix, how's the metal scene in SA?
Thanks dude! It's been really quiet lately especially considering some people are getting jailed for setting up gigs and promoting bands. =/

Option Paralysis leaked and I am cumming like I never cummed before. SO GOOD. Endless Endings is so damm crazy and fast, hope they will play it live.

Hellcrow

Milk Lizard said:
Option Paralysis leaked and I am cumming like I never cummed before. SO GOOD. Endless Endings is so damm crazy and fast, hope they will play it live.

Listening to it now. Sweet jesus, this is some great stuff!

Flynn

I grabbed my first Peste Noire CD (La Sanie des Siecles) at Aquarius this week. Dang this is good stuff. They grabbed me an Alcest disc too -- looking forward to it.

EzLink said:
Iron Maiden touring with Dream Theater. Holy fucking shit

That is all

EDIT: ironmaiden.com

Sweet, a new studio album coming this year. This is the first studio album by Maiden that I am actually able to anticipate (didn't get into them until 2007, heh). I'm sure it'll be awesome, as ever.

finally, almost 6 months of waiting and paid in full
FLOOR Box Set:

1-1.JPG

1-2.JPG

1-3.JPG

floorbox_spread2000.jpg

8 LP's of 12"/7" inches
8 CD discography
32 page booklet
tons and tons of unreleased material.

Milk Lizard said:

It is amazing, but I'm really gutted that the riff from the 'song 3 demo' Youtube video isn't on it! There are going to be 2 bonus tracks so I'm hoping it's one of them, that riff kills me every time.

wRATH2x said:
I think I'm the only one who cares but fuck it, Dave Ellefson is back with Megadeth!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=136682

Oh ho! My friend, you are not alone! In fact, I believe a few of us were talking of this a few pages back! I'm a huge Megadeth fan, and the first time I ever saw them was on the Cryptic Writings tour back in '98. I was 13, and it was also my first concert. Sadly, it was also the last time I saw them with Ellefson... UNTIL TONIGHT WHEN I SHALL BANG MY HEAD UNTIL MY NECK SNAPS. Hell yes. Rust in Peace tour.

Can't wait.

EzLink

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Oh ho! My friend, you are not alone! In fact, I believe a few of us were talking of this a few pages back! I'm a huge Megadeth fan, and the first time I ever saw them was on the Cryptic Writings tour back in '98. I was 13, and it was also my first concert. Sadly, it was also the last time I saw them with Ellefson... UNTIL TONIGHT WHEN I SHALL BANG MY HEAD UNTIL MY NECK SNAPS. Hell yes. Rust in Peace tour.

Can't wait.

Horns up motherfucker!

I'm so jealous. I wanted to see their rust tour so fucking badly but the closest they were playing was 5 hours away, plus I'm pretty strapped for cash. Still get to see them on American Carnage tour but it won't be as good as seeing RIP being played in its entirety :(

Have a great fucking time tonight and be sure to report back with how fucking awesome it is! Also let me know if Testament plays through The Legacy... I read that they were gonna do that for the RIP tour, but I also read they were gonna play through it for the Carnage tour as well. And I thought it was odd they would do the same thing on both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom