• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DieH@rd said:
I just found Abbath's guitar lessions, he is incredible with guitar. Just go on UserVideos and see all of his "lessions". :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p64k4BG6REU

\m/ IMMORTAL \m/

negu1c.jpg

DimmuBurgerKing said:
This. I listen to music I love, not genres within genres of music. Period.

Yeah. I can't stand the Metal Elitist mentality either. I love me some Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Mellencamp, and then Bodom, In Flames, etc.

I am more of a melodic metal type of guy though. I need that change of pace in my vocals. USUALLY at least. If not vocals, then guitar.

First...Three...ALBUMS?!!!!

::Head Explodes::

My god, I'd pay something completely absurd for that ticket. God, I'm giddy even though this is all basically speculation at this point.

The mere thought of hearing Into Glory Ride live... :drool:

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Ravager61

vatstep said:
Yeah... I hate them. I loved Assassins, but these songs... I don't even know. It would be unfair to judge them against older material, so I'm not doing that — even taken on their own, I can't enjoy them.

Yeah, the band is already pretty polarizing and it is only going to get worse as they stray further and further from black metal. If you dig their more BM albums, I suggest checking out their recent EP Doomsday Derelicts if you haven't already. Its like traditional BM with that unique Nachtmystium spin.

ATF487

Is anyone here into sludge/drone/stoner metal? I've been listening to a lot of Boris recently, and I love everything I've heard from them (Feedbacker, Pink, Heavy Rocks, Smile JP). Also I got Electric Wizard's "Come My Fanatics..." which is also rocking my world.

Any suggestions? I tried Sun O))) but I couldn't get into Black One or Monoliths and Dimensions. I think I like the idea of the band more than actually listening to them

EzLink

Banned
So does anybody here listen to Death? I didn't even know about them until a couple weeks ago, when my friend was wearing a Death shirt. I listened to some stuff from their final album and it was absolutely terrific, so I'm going to start working my way through their discography

El_Victor

ATF487 said:
Is anyone here into sludge/drone/stoner metal? I've been listening to a lot of Boris recently, and I love everything I've heard from them (Feedbacker, Pink, Heavy Rocks, Smile JP). Also I got Electric Wizard's "Come My Fanatics..." which is also rocking my world.

Any suggestions? I tried Sun O))) but I couldn't get into Black One or Monoliths and Dimensions. I think I like the idea of the band more than actually listening to them
My brother loves Electric Wizard and Boris, and he's also into Earth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNOuNR45DRw
Give them a try.

Ravager61

ATF487 said:

Check out Eagle Twin - The Unkindness of Crows. I saw them open for SunnO))) and they were awesome. They kind of remind me of SunnO)) at times, just a little bit faster and much more accessible.

Zero Hero

ATF487 said:

This is why I love this thread. I get to check out bands that I didn't know existed.

ATF487 said:

First off, you need to get Boris' Flood album, it's amazing. Drone with a twist.

As for Sunn O))), I got into them via the Attila-releases: Dømkirke and Oracle/HeliO))sophist in particular as well as Sunn O))) & Boris - Altar. I would assume that unless you've already dismissed that release, it'd be right up your alley. It's probably the most accessible album. Once I got into Altar and Dømkirke, Monoliths really opened up and became a whole other album. I love it now. Also, White1 is really under-rated. My Wall is epic.

I was in the same situation you describe, tried Black One (which is the album that gets pimped the most), but couldn't really get into it. Try their other releases and see if they work better. They're a hard band to get into, but very rewarding.

I listen to very little "pure drone", but the crossover stuff is really nice.

Here are some releases that worked for me as gateways while not being purely drone albums:

Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull, Hibernaculum, Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions, Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars (featuring Kurt Cobain vocals, for the mainstreamers out there). Everyone always brings up Earth 2, but to me that's not an album to start with.

Boris - Flood

The Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine - Rampton

Nadja - The Bungled & The Botched

A Storm of Light - And We Wept the Black Ocean Within

Nadja & A Storm of Light - Primitive North

Hyatari - Light Carriers

Check those out.

EzLink said:
So does anybody here listen to Death? I didn't even know about them until a couple weeks ago, when my friend was wearing a Death shirt. I listened to some stuff from their final album and it was absolutely terrific, so I'm going to start working my way through their discography

If you liked The Sound of Perseverance, I'm pretty sure Individual Thought Patterns will blow you away.

EzLink

Banned
DimmuBurgerKing said:
If you liked The Sound of Perseverance, I'm pretty sure Individual Thought Patterns will blow you away.

Excellent :D Listening to Scream Bloody Gore right now, definately an impressive album considering the time and how pioneering it was

Also, I've been wanting to get into Dimmu lately. A friend gave me Death Cult Armageddon (which is really fucking cool), what other DB albums are essential?

hie

DimmuBurgerKing said:

One of my favorite Death records...well...it's hard to choose. :lol They are almost all classics in their own right.

I'm not even a huge power metal guy, but Control Denied fucking rocked too.

EzLink said:
Excellent :D Listening to Scream Bloody Gore right now, definately an impressive album considering the time and how pioneering it was

Also, I've been wanting to get into Dimmu lately. A friend gave me Death Cult Armageddon (which is really fucking cool), what other DB albums are essential?

Despite the name, I'm not a huge DB fan. Stormblast was a great album, but completely different from everything that came after. These days, Dimmu gets a lot of hate for essentially being a "cartoon" band, but I honestly enjoy DCA and In Sorte Diaboli. You've heard the former, but the latter is more or less the same style of symphonic metal and a concept album that tells the story of a man of faith in medieval Europe who becomes disenchanted with Christianity for certain reasons and ends up becoming the Antichrist.

So it's the best bedtime story ever if you know any children.

ATF487 said:

Shriek_Priest put up some good suggestions.

for more of the "sludgier/stoner" type stuff:
Bongripper- Hippie Killer, Hate Ashbury
Torche- self titled
Floor- Dove, self titled
Cathedral- Forest of Equilibrium (more doomy), Soul Sacrifice
Harvey Milk- Special Wishes
Om- any
Sleep- Dopesmoker/Jerusalem
Uffomammut- Godlike Snake, Lucifer Songs, Satan EP

and more the more doom/death metal side:
Hooded Menace- Fulfill The Curse
Morgion- Solinari
Winter- Into Darkness
Thergothon- Streams From The Heavens

Melchiah

Giant Robot said:
Torche- self titled
Floor- Dove, self titled
Cathedral- Forest of Equilibrium (more doomy), Soul Sacrifice
Harvey Milk- Special Wishes
Om- any

and more the more doom/death metal side:
Hooded Menace- Fulfill The Curse
Morgion- Solinari
Winter- Into Darkness
Thergothon- Streams From The Heavens

Plus:

Unholy (black/doom)
Reverend Bizarre
Spiritus Mortis (the newer stuff with Reverend's vocalist)

ACE 1991

Saw Baroness with Between the Buried and Me last night. Little upset BTBAM didn't play white walls, but other than that it was fucking awesome as expected.

ATF487

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses! Thanks Giant Robot, El_Victor, Ravager61, Shrike_Priest and Melchiah..this is gonna last me awhile.

Out of the stuff listed I had only heard of Harvey Milk, Om, and Earth, but I'll be sure to give everything a shot in due time

Melchiah

ATF487 said:
Wow, I didn't expect so many responses! Thanks Giant Robot, El_Victor, Ravager61, Shrike_Priest and Melchiah..this is gonna last me awhile.

Out of the stuff listed I had only heard of Harvey Milk, Om, and Earth, but I'll be sure to give everything a shot in due time

Here's a few links:

http://www.myspace.com/reverendbizarre
http://www.myspace.com/spiritusmortis

Reverend Bizarre:
Doom Over the World
Their excellent Beherit cover, The Gate of Nanna
And Burzum cover, Dunkelheit

Unholy:
Gray Blow
Creative Lunacy
The Trip Was Infra Green
For the Unknown One

pix

ACE 1991 said:
Saw Baroness with Between the Buried and Me last night. Little upset BTBAM didn't play white walls, but other than that it was fucking awesome as expected.

What was BTBAM's setlist? when I seen them in Feb it was Obfuscation, Disease Injury Madness, Ants of the Sky, Alaska, More of Myself to Kill, Swim to the Moon, encore White Walls

EzLink said:

Death are great, I think next you may want to check out their album "Symbolic".

As far as Dimmu goes, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia may be the next album you want to check out there because of the similarities with Death Cult. I think the general consensus on the band's best album is Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, but I could be wrong.

Giant Robot said:
Shriek_Priest put up some good suggestions.

I will ecco this with emphasis on Sleep's Dopesmoker.
First lyrics of the record:

Droooooooop ouuuut of liife with boooong iiiiin haaand
follooow the weeed to the riff-fiiiiled laand

Phenomenal!

Also listen to Sleep's Holy Mountain, which is awesome as hell.

Zero Hero

pix said:
What was BTBAM's setlist? when I seen them in Feb it was Obfuscation, Disease Injury Madness, Ants of the Sky, Alaska, More of Myself to Kill, Swim to the Moon, encore White Walls

Oh man, I would have loved to see that show. :O

pix

Yeah it was great. They played with Cynic too, and my god what an amazing live act. Incredible musicianship there.

Kong Fisso said:
I will ecco this with emphasis on Sleep's Dopesmoker.
First lyrics of the record:

Droooooooop ouuuut of liife with boooong iiiiin haaand
follooow the weeed to the riff-fiiiiled laand

Phenomenal!

Also listen to Sleep's Holy Mountain, which is awesome as hell.

fuuuuck yes. My brief claim to fame was that I was taking guitar lessons from Matt Pike while he was in transition between Sleep and High On Fire. Him and the band played at my sister's wedding before putting out the first High On Fire album! (acoustic music though)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
ATF487 said:

All of the other recommendations so far are definitely good. Also try:

Burning Witch (drone/doom, about as essential as it gets in the genre if you ask me)
The Goslings (drone/sludge/noise)
The Angelic Process (drone/sludge/shoegaze)
Black Cobra (sludge)
Rwake (sludge)
White Mice (noise/sludge)
Examination of the... (their last album, The Whitest of Elephants, is completely different from their earlier chaotic hardcore stuff, and is more like awesome Neurosis-esque sludge/metal)

ATF487

vatstep said:
All of the other recommendations so far are definitely good. Also try:

Burning Witch (drone/doom, about as essential as it gets in the genre if you ask me)
The Goslings (drone/sludge/noise)
The Angelic Process (drone/sludge/shoegaze)
Black Cobra (sludge)
Rwake (sludge)
White Mice (noise/sludge)
Examination of the... (their last album, The Whitest of Elephants, is completely different from their earlier chaotic hardcore stuff, and is more like awesome Neurosis-esque sludge/metal)

I listened to these quickly, definitely interested in the Angelic Process, Black Cobra, Rwake, and Examination of the... (I love Neurosis). My .txt file of albums to get is now at like 75 :(

Melchiah

As a shameless plug, here's our new album, that just got released today, for everyone to listen:

Band - Enochian Crescent
Album - NEF.VI.LIM
Genre - Black Metal

Free preview of the whole album: http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/enochian_crescent/nef_vi_lim/186542/
Lyijysiipi (Wings of Lead) song with lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI7hZ1keaxE

And our old video, Ghost of Saturn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPZGMqWqbyk
+ Myspace site: http://www.myspace.com/enochiancrescent

Comments and critique are welcomed.

I've been listening to Deivos and really enjoying it, can anyone recommend some more OTT technical death metal to me? The only other bands who play that style I know are Origin and Necrophagist.

Korranator

Charmicarmicat said:
I've been listening to Deivos and really enjoying it, can anyone recommend some more OTT technical death metal to me? The only other bands who play that style I know are Origin and Necrophagist.

Obscura and Meshuggah are the only two I can think of.

EzLink

Banned
So my metal friend asked this guy he works with who is REALLY into black metal to show him the evilest of the evilest in black metal. I don't remember the name of the band (I think it started with an A) but the name of the album was "cut your flesh and worship satan" :lol

My friend said it was fucking awesome in a way

Can anyone direct me to a particularly horrific song from the band in question?

Aske

EzLink said:
So my metal friend asked this guy he works with who is REALLY into black metal to show him the evilest of the evilest in black metal. I don't remember the name of the band (I think it started with an A) but the name of the album was "cut your flesh and worship satan" :lol

He's talking about Antaeus.

Goatboy

Charmicarmicat said:

whitechapel sorta

Melchiah said:
As a shameless plug, here's our new album, that just got released today, for everyone to listen:

Band - Enochian Crescent
Album - NEF.VI.LIM
Genre - Black Metal

Free preview of the whole album: http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/enochian_crescent/nef_vi_lim/186542/
Lyijysiipi (Wings of Lead) song with lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI7hZ1keaxE

And our old video, Ghost of Saturn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPZGMqWqbyk
+ Myspace site: http://www.myspace.com/enochiancrescent

Comments and critique are welcomed.
bow.gif
Enochian Crescent

I've been waiting for this one all year! Hopefully I'll get my T-shirt+digipak from Woodcut soon! I might be going to the Hammer Open Air festival as well to see you guys for the first time. Should be epic.

Melchiah

EzLink said:

The name of the band is Antaeus. I don't know whether it's horrific or not, maybe it is in a sense that it's not very good. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=---I2YHzyAI (requires age verification, contains images of self-mutilation)

EDIT: beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom