• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Metal GAF: I've been listening to Testament lately (thanks Brutal Legend) and I absolutely love them. I have "The Formation of Damnation", and it's seriously one of my favorite true metal albums since Judas Priest "Painkiller" - although I'm sure many will disagree since it's the band's latest release. Anyways, I've listened to a bunch of their older songs and like them too...question is, with 11 records, which is usually regarded as the favorite?

I'd like to dive in and discover the band in full, where do I start?

Fxp

AlphaSnake said:
Metal GAF: I've been listening to Testament lately (thanks Brutal Legend) and I absolutely love them. I have "The Formation of Damnation", and it's seriously one of my favorite true metal albums since Judas Priest "Painkiller" - although I'm sure many will disagree since it's the band's latest release. Anyways, I've listened to a bunch of their older songs and like them too...question is, with 11 records, which is usually regarded as the favorite?

Start with The New Order, The Ritual and Low.

Fxp said:
Start with The New Order, The Ritual and Low.

seriously The Ritual for a Testament album???

Although The Legacy is my favorite and most thrashiest, it might be hard for a newcomer Testament fan coming off of Formations. Formations is probably closer to The Gathering. The first two albums The Legacy and The New Order are considered their classics. The follow up Practice What You Preach was a lil dry, although their most popular one.

You might want to pick up First Strike Is Still Deadly. It contains re-recordings of The Legacy and The New Order material, i think by the same producer of the last few albums (Andy Sneap)

EschatonDX said:
bHfpc.jpg

Did I miss something? Burzum dead? Or just riffing on the song title?

ACE 1991

I've been on a lamb of god kick as of recently, (totally psyched to see them at mayhem fest this summer :D) does anyone have any recommendations of bands with a similar sound?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
AlphaSnake said:

The Gathering is my favourite album of theirs.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
The title of the forthcoming Blind Guardian album is "At the Edge of Time". The long awaited follow up to "A Twist in the Myth" will be released in late summer 2010.

From their Facebook page. :D

DrM said:
The title of the forthcoming Blind Guardian album is "At the Edge of Time". The long awaited follow up to "A Twist in the Myth" will be released in late summer 2010.

From their Facebook page. :D

Saw this earlier. Absolutely can't wait for it, especially if the song they performed "live" (lol) in Sacred 2 was a taste of what's to come.

EzLink

Banned
DimmuBurgerKing said:
Saw this earlier. Absolutely can't wait for it, especially if the song they performed "live" (lol) in Sacred 2 was a taste of what's to come.

See, that actually almost scares me. Sacred is a cool song, but its just more ANATO/ATITM stuff. Which is a good style definately, but I think they could make really awesome stuff if they explored a little bit more with their sound

Regardless I have no doubt that it will be my album of the year

Melchiah

I Am the Black Wizards by The Emperors (Trve Kvlt 1960s surf rock):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJje-yH-8dA

In 1959 Chip Ihsahn and Rocky Samoth met on the beach in California. They shared a love of crude reverb units, surfing, smoking illicit substances and driving cars with fake wood on the sides. The soon formed a surf band which had a variety of name changes including The Dark Devices, then The Xerasias, then The Embryonics. The group soon evolved into the now well-known band The Thou Shalt Suffers. Soon, however,Rocky Samoth began to write surf music music outside of The Thou Shalt Suffers, and together with Chip Ihsahn and a new bass player called Woody Mortiis (later of his own eponymous band The Mortiises), The Emperors was formed.

The Emperors toured with fellow surf group The Cradle of Filths, and after this tour the band ceased wearing surf clothing; they stated that it was becoming a trend and losing its original significance and symbolism. In the autumn of that year, the police began to investigate the murder of Clint Euronymous of The Mayhems, naming Varg 'Kenneth' Vikernes (of The Burzums) as a suspect; this investigation eventually led to the incarceration of Rocky Samoth for arson, and of Walter Faust for the murder of Magne Andreassen.

Aske

That's awesome. There's a Burzum one too...

Dunkelheit first featured on the Burzums' legendary surf LP Filosofem (literally "Surf's Up" in English) recorded on a low budget in the back of a surf shop in Bergen, California using an Edison Phonograph, the cheapest instruments available to Varg and other awesome gadgets to get that famously warm Trve Kvlt sound of sand, sun and surf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oisc4CZeAI&feature=related

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So as far as Testament, I listened to Demonic - liked it! Finishing up with First Strike - loved it! The Gathering is up next.

Oddly enough, Testament's guitar riffs are much like what I usually doodle out. I really relate to their style, so I've naturally gravitated towards the band. I love them.

Those surf-covers were awesome. Especially Dunkelheit.

In other news, second track off of Lantlôs .neon is available: http://www.last.fm/music/Lantlôs/+videos/+1-U47qH94RutU

That Youtube-account is chock full of great stuff. I don't know who it is, but they have connections because they always seem to be first with new European Shoegazy Black Metal stuff.

The Lantlôs song is pretty brilliant. I still think pulse/surreal is the best Lantlôs track period, the buildup is intense, but this is great stuff too. I'd heard that the album has leaked (got a few plays on last.fm), but I'm trying to pace myself as I've already ordered the LP.

So the new Nevermore is all over Youtube now.

It's...god damn. It's so good. It's pretty obvious that they haven't put out an album as a full band in 5 years. Sounds very different than TGE. More texturally diverse. After Loomis's solo album I had expected this to be a nonstop shred fest but as a guitarist he sounds completely different, like he finally got all the built up shred in his system out, and his solos feel dramatically more song oriented this go around. Whereas before his shred solos and his melodic solos were always distinctly different, he seems to have merged them with incredible success. Every solo rips, and every solo sings. His signature diminished/chromatic leads do make a brief return, but it's so much more tasteful than typical.

For anyone thats a fan of the band, and anyone that's a guitarist...you should know that there is a deluxe version of the cd coming out with mixes of some of the tracks with no vocals or with no guitar in order to make tabbing and the requisite youtube guitar wankery that comes along with every new nevermore cd easier to do. I believe it's also leather bound or something like that, though i might be wrong about that. Great collectors item for fans of the band.

I'll finish this post with an awesome video of Jeff playing one of the greatest metal riffs ever. The Chorus riff from Born.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpIRAZB-hXQ

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
WHOAguitarninja said:
So the new Nevermore is all over Youtube now.

It's...god damn. It's so good. It's pretty obvious that they haven't put out an album as a full band in 5 years. Sounds very different than TGE. More texturally diverse. After Loomis's solo album I had expected this to be a nonstop shred fest but as a guitarist he sounds completely different, like he finally got all the built up shred in his system out, and his solos feel dramatically more song oriented this go around. Whereas before his shred solos and his melodic solos were always distinctly different, he seems to have merged them with incredible success. Every solo rips, and every solo sings. His signature diminished/chromatic leads do make a brief return, but it's so much more tasteful than typical.

For anyone thats a fan of the band, and anyone that's a guitarist...you should know that there is a deluxe version of the cd coming out with mixes of some of the tracks with no vocals or with no guitar in order to make tabbing and the requisite youtube guitar wankery that comes along with every new nevermore cd easier to do. I believe it's also leather bound or something like that, though i might be wrong about that. Great collectors item for fans of the band.

I'll finish this post with an awesome video of Jeff playing one of the greatest metal riffs ever. The Chorus riff from Born.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpIRAZB-hXQ

Sweet. I better keep a lookout for the vinyl release. Is Andy Sneap mixing this one?

EzLink

Banned
New Nevermore!

Just got into the band a couple weeks ago but damn I'm excited.

I'm going to listen to all of their albums in order before giving their new one a listen. I'll start tonight :D

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's kind of sad Europe gets the album before us. I'll probably preorder this album sometime soon. I like what I heard from it.

wRATH2x said:

Excel were one of the obscure bands. I remember hearing a song that I liked, but i think was a demo. The albums kind of sucks. Split Image i think was their only album i actually heard in full.

wRATH2x

Banned
Giant Robot said:
Excel were one of the obscure bands. I remember hearing a song that I liked, but i think was a demo. The albums kind of sucks. Split Image i think was their only album i actually heard in full.
Yeah well I heard good things from some people, and since they don't have a huge discography I'd like to get into them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just read a recent interview with Agalloch. Guess they're going to be recording the new album this summer.

Can't fucking wait. Best band ever. It's been FAR too long since Ashes Against the Grain, though The White was a fantastic EP as well.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Seraphis Cain said:
Just read a recent interview with Agalloch. Guess they're going to be recording the new album this summer.

Can't fucking wait. Best band ever. It's been FAR too long since Ashes Against the Grain, though The White was a fantastic EP as well.

Cool. I just ordered a copy of the White E.P. from a seller on Amazon.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Seraphis Cain said:
Awesome. Glad to know there's other Agalloch fans on GAF (though I know of two others, members Folorium Viridium and, fittingly, Agalloch).

And Agalloch are DEFINITELY my favorite band: http://www.last.fm/user/SeraphisCain :D

Very nice, although you haven't heard Agalloch until you've heard it on vinyl.

Also, check out my thread "The Official GAF: Listen to your entire music collection. No skipping!" as I've reviewed my entire Agalloch collection amongst others. You should join in.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Witchfinder General said:
Very nice, although you haven't heard Agalloch until you've heard it on vinyl.

Also, check out my thread "The Official GAF: Listen to your entire music collection. No skipping!" as I've reviewed my entire Agalloch collection amongst others. You should join in.

Heh, I don't think that's something I could do, but it's nice to see a fellow Age of Silence fan as well. Wonderful album, Acceleration is.

Saw Fozzy yesterday and they were pretty damn awesome.

The opening act was a band called Nightvision from here in the UK, they play a nice brand of hard rock with groove metal influences (reminiscent of Ugly Kid Joe) and put on a damn good show in their short set. Check them out if you get the chance.

http://www.nightvision1000.co.uk/

Next out was Halcyon Way from Atlanta, USA - while Nightvision's sound was pretty much perfect, Halcyon Way's set suffered from the guitars being almost totally lost in the mix. However, the bassist was kick ass and provided some nice death metal style backing vocals, but the main singer really killed it for me - there was just something about his voice, it didn't seem to mesh at all.

The final support act was a group called The Joker's from Liverpool here in the UK. To me they sounded like Led Zeppelin meets AC/DC, and although I usually don't enjoy seeing bands that ape 70's groups quite so much, I was won over by their stage presence and general excellence. The singer's got a bunch of charisma, they put on a great set and really won the crowd over who were eating out of the palm of their hand once they played a cover of 'Communication Breakdown' to finish.

Finally, Fozzy hit the stage and Jericho got a huge reaction. I'm not the biggest fan of Fozzy, but i'm always open to seeing anybody live and i'm glad I did. Chris Jericho is such a fantastic frontman, he's got a ton of charisma and stage presence, his vocals remained powerful throughout and when he's up on stage you can really tell he's enjoying every single minute of being there. Hope it doesn't take them another 5 years to come back, i'd gladly go see them again.

An incredibly sad day. It sounds morbid as fuck, but I have absolutely been dreading this for a while now.

He is to me, probably the closest thing to a living legend that I can think of. Just in incedible musician, singer, and he gave so much to the fans.

Fuck. Blasting all of Holy Diver right now, and then I'm switching to Rainbow.

wRATH2x

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
An incredibly sad day. It sounds morbid as fuck, but I have absolutely been dreading this for a while now.

He is to me, probably the closest thing to a living legend that I can think of. Just in incedible musician, singer, and he gave so much to the fans.

Fuck. Blasting all of Holy Diver right now, and then I'm switching to Rainbow.
Same here, I kept hoping that he would prevail and live on. Really devastated right now.

I'll be playing Dio till I get it out of my system, the man has had like a long career with many different bands just giving us all sorts of classics. The man was amazing and he will be remembered fondly.

Damn I miss him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom