• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
EzLink said:
Haha, Elvenking. Excellent melodies and music, but some of the most offensively ridiculous lyrics I've ever heard. For example, while Heathenreel is a good album, the very first track is about losing your virginity to an oak tree :lol

Not only are their lyrics pretty hilarious, I find Damnagoras to be just on the cusp of being an effeminate weirdo at all times. :lol Dude seriously sounds one step away from being in AFI or a post-hardcore band, and it's even worse on the new album. That said, somehow it just works and at least you can tell the guy sings with some passion.

EzLink

Banned
DrM said:
Damn, this stuff is good, headbanging like crazy

Hell yes! High on Fire has a really unique sound, but it is pure metal through and through.

Oh, and their bassist is Faramir. Here are a couple pictures I took at their show on Saturday:

DSCN2732.jpg

DSCN2743.jpg

DSCN2752.jpg

faramir.jpg

ACE 1991

Has anyone else listened to Bring me the Horizon's new album? I actually mostly dislike them as a band but this album is surprisingly good. Check it out.

1349 played a really good set. So did Triptykon. The venue was way too big for this show, it made it feel kinda empty. The show itself was amazing though.

MuesP.jpg

nE9TL.jpg

Lard

Banned
Captain Howdy said:
Going to see 1349 and Triptykon in a few hours! Can't wait, and my friend's band is opening the show. It's gonna be awesome!

I wanted to go to that in Toronto, and I had a midterm the next day. :(

Zozobra

Anyone else check out the new Intronaut?

I was a little put off by the cleaner vocals they introduced, mainly because they sound kind of forced, but this one has really grown on me after a few listens. Nothing can overshadow the awesome musicianship in the band it seems.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Zozobra said:
Anyone else check out the new Intronaut?

I was a little put off by the cleaner vocals they introduced, mainly because they sound kind of forced, but this one has really grown on me after a few listens. Nothing can overshadow the awesome musicianship in the band it seems.
Never been a huge fan of this band or anything like that, but I've enjoyed their albums, and the new one is no exception. I think it'll probably end up being my favorite of theirs. And I actually really like the clean vocals; I've always thought the singer's growls were pretty bland and weak-sounding, so I don't mind him mixing things up. If anything, it makes the harsh vocals hit harder when he goes back to them.

DangerStepp

ACE 1991 said:
Has anyone else listened to Bring me the Horizon's new album? I actually mostly dislike them as a band but this album is surprisingly good. Check it out.

Dude, me too! I didn't know anything about them until I saw them with Every Time I Die.

I hated them and I didn't get the obsession the 14 year old girls had out for them.

I didn't want to like it, however, their new disc "There Is a Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There is a Heaven Let's Keep It A Secret" is contender with Dillinger and As I Lay Dying's new albums for album of the year for me.

CassSept

That was fucking awesome. Really. While there weren't any incredible special effects like in big-scale concerts, the atmosphere more than made up for it.
The setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-guardian/2010/klub-stodola-warsaw-poland-33d50c1d.html
Their contact with audience is fantastic. They actually changed their setlist after the whole club chanted "Majesty! Majesty!" between few songs straight :lol (supposedly they planned Goodbye My Friend for that slot).
Overall, it was magical. And 5 encore songs! Jesus Christ :lol Lord of the Rings when everybody has already lost all hope!
The Bard's Song being sung by nearly a thousand people together! Singing "Valhalla! Deliverance!" for 5 minutes after the song ended to the outro of the song and later on drums solo :lol
Hansi was amazing too. Introductions to every next song were great, even if cliched. And everybody loved his constant jokes about how nobody likes him :lol (especially introducing Tanelorn. "Well he didn't have any friends either. Instead he killed everyone" :lol )

I'm so going to them the next time they come to Poland, no matter in which city. So awesome.

EzLink

Banned
CassSept said:
That was fucking awesome. Really. While there weren't any incredible special effects like in big-scale concerts, the atmosphere more than made up for it.
The setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-guardian/2010/klub-stodola-warsaw-poland-33d50c1d.html
Their contact with audience is fantastic. They actually changed their setlist after the whole club chanted "Majesty! Majesty!" between few songs straight :lol (supposedly they planned Goodbye My Friend for that slot).
Overall, it was magical. And 5 encore songs! Jesus Christ :lol Lord of the Rings when everybody has already lost all hope!
The Bard's Song being sung by nearly a thousand people together! Singing "Valhalla! Deliverance!" for 5 minutes after the song ended to the outro of the song and later on drums solo :lol
Hansi was amazing too. Introductions to every next song were great, even if cliched. And everybody loved his constant jokes about how nobody likes him :lol (especially introducing Tanelorn. "Well he didn't have any friends either. Instead he killed everyone" :lol )

I'm so going to them the next time they come to Poland, no matter in which city. So awesome.

Holy shit, that setlist is fucking excellent. Sounds like an absolutely amazing show, can't wait till I get my chance to see them!

Ceres

Banned
Epica and Blind Guardian are playing NYC the same weekend. I really want to go but it's going to be so hard to swing it as anything but a last minute trip and I'm afraid they might sell out before then.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think this is the first review of the new Agalloch album? Either way... HYYYYYYYYPE:
Where do you start reviewing something like this? After almost a month of continuously listening to this album I have to admit I am still in a state of shock. Having spoken with John Haughm over the course of this year, I was led to expect something very different, but the result succeeded all of my hopes or expectations. This here is without a doubt their bleakest, darkest, most sorrowful piece of music they’ve ever recorded. I’ve been struggling with it for weeks now, and it’s gotten to the point where I had to write this damn thing or I would have completely lost it. This album is so overwhelmingly depressing it’s literally been draining the life out of me, much like Ordo Ad Chao did over three years ago. But this is different, it’s not suffocating, you don’t feel like something is choking you for an hour. It’s not dark in a malefic way (Agalloch’s never been about that to begin with), but in a very..deeply melancholic, dismal way - and the more you sink in it the more liberated and at peace with yourself you feel, it almost becomes a healing experience.

Agalloch have returned to their roots. Light years away from Ashes Against The Grain, Marrow Of The Spirit takes a full turn and goes back where it all started. As much as I love their last album, this sounds like they wanted to run as far from that as possible: the sound is very harsh, it reeks of old, it has a primordial vibe to it that’s hard for me to explain. Imagine Paysage d’Hiver’s sublime landscapes meeting the rough, organic Nagelfar sound, mixed with the chronic depression and hopelessness on Bethlehem’s Dark Metal…Wrap all that up in the unmistakable Agalloch bleak, foggy weather and maybe, just maybe you can get an idea? I don’t know. One thing is certain, listening to this is like trying to understand what a deep, dense forest wants to tell you; except the sounds you hear don’t come from the trees but rather from deep underneath your bare feet. It’s asking you to dig thorough roots, soil and layers of rotten foliage - the deeper you go the clearer you can hear it. It’s an exhausting, draining day and night struggle, but you just know that the key to your very soul lies down there. And when you’ve finally reached it, when you’re finally holding it in your hands, one look around and you realize you’ve dug your grave with your bare hands. You’re finally at peace with everything and all, ready to lay your soul to rest in the one place you’ve always felt you belonged. And no damnit, I’m not high, this is what I’m getting.

Marrow Of The Spirit is an emotional rollercoaster that will take your breath away and with time will feel like the inner journey you’ve always waited to embark on. Like all of their previous works, it’s not an album for everyone, but this one in particular is actually quite difficult to get in to, and at times I get the feeling that there’s a certain artistic intention to willingly throw you off, as if it’s saying you have to want to get this, look deeper, earn it.
http://transylvanianhungerrr.blogspot.com/2010/10/agalloch-marrow-of-spirit-review.html

rexor0717

CassSept said:

They played Turn the Page live. I would literally sacrifice animals to hear that song played live. It it my absolute favorite song of all time.

MickD

Haven't really been in to metel since the 90's but holy shit just got the Bring me the Horizon. WOW. Anything else like this?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Seraphis Cain said:
Amazingly hyped for the new Agalloch. Just...indescribably hyped.

Also, Black Metal-GAF, have a listen to this. Absolutely love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMtN2qBXzE

Shame he's only done the one demo as of right now. I'd love to hear more stuff from him.

Eh, DSBM. I fucking LOVE black metal but DSBM just doesn't do it for me 95% of the time.

Watched the Megadeth/KK vid over the weekend, really cool stuff! It was kind of funny how you could hear people in the crowd muttering "Marty" when Dave said he was bringing up a former guitarist.

So, I'm not entirely sure if this has been brought up yet in this thread, but I did a quick search and it yielded no results so here we go.

There's this Metal Cruise thing taking place next year called the 70000 Tons of Metal cruise which is a 4 day round trip cruise from Miami to Mexico that is featuring 40 bands. At first, before most of the bands were announced it seemed to look like some sort of joke. But now, with only 6 slots remaining, it looks so god damned awesome that I would give my left foot to go. It's almost like they asked me personally to make up half of the bill, because it matches up so well with my taste in metal. And yesterday's announcement almost made my heart skip a beat. Not because I'm excited, but because I'm just completely furious and jealous that I can't go. This is the best metal show for ME that I've ever seen.

Oh what's the announcement you ask? BLIND. GUARDIAN. On a cruise ship. ::dies::

http://www.70000tons.com/artists.htm

fallout

A buddy of mine is going on the 70000 Tons of Metal cruise. He and his girlfriend have had tickets for months and I'm really jealous. The price is pretty reasonable, too ... considering what you're getting out of it. I hope they turn it into an annual event.

Chorazin

MickD said:
Haven't really been in to metel since the 90's but holy shit just got the Bring me the Horizon. WOW. Anything else like this?

There are a few guys in the thread that said they liked it, hopefully they answer you.

But maybe you can explain why it seems their fanbase is entirely young teenage girls? It's so weird for the little bit of their music I've heard on Sirius....

fallout said:
A buddy of mine is going on the 70000 Tons of Metal cruise. He and his girlfriend have had tickets for months and I'm really jealous. The price is pretty reasonable, too ... considering what you're getting out of it. I hope they turn it into an annual event.

It's VERY reasonable. I'm just so annoyed that I didn't know that the line-up was going to be this good when this thing was announced. My ass would have been saving since then had I known. All the cheap cabins are gone, sadly.

I've never seen so many bands I like in one place before. I'm pretty sure this appeals to me even more than any euro festival line-up has, at least in recent memory.

EzLink

Banned
Oh god. Looking at the lineup for the metal cruise is giving me the same sinking feeling I get whenever I think about the fact that I will never see Led Zeppelin live

Amon Amarth, Tyr, Dark Tranquility, fucking Nevermore, Testament, Finntroll, Ensiferum, and of course Blind Guardian! Goddam. The only band missing is Alestorm, and that's only because they would be the absolute perfect fit for the setting.

Fuck you life and your lack of providing me with enough money to do whatever I want :mad:

Ceres

Banned
The cruise isn't that bad but it is kind of overpriced. You're being charged at the bare minimum $666 + $249 for a cruise that typically starts costing around $400 with taxes included. So you're paying around $500 for tickets that are buried under room costs. Even more if you're not going with a quad or want a nicer room.

Chorazin

EzLink said:
The only band missing is Alestorm, and that's only because they would be the absolute perfect fit for the setting.

Oh man, seeing them live on a ship would be so awesome. They were crazy enough on land when I saw them!

faridmon

OK, lads, please reccomend me a good Metal band that is coming to London this year. For a gid of course. I missed dark Tranquility own and i am bloody depressed by it. Is there any other bands that are coming over.

Apocalptica are coming but never heard any of thier music. opnion on them?

vatstep

Korranator said:
Holy fuck, this album is gonna slay.

Anyone who's into death/doom stuff like Ulcerate with a heavy dose of avant-garde weirdness added to the mix should really check out the new Ehnahre album, which just came out on Crucial Blast. I posted about them in here a couple years ago when their debut came out, and they've amassed a respectable following since then, but I think they're still criminally under-appreciated. They're one of the very few good metal bands in Boston these days (where I'm from), so I feel somewhat obligated to let people know about them. You can stream the first song and clips of the others here.

Zozobra

vatstep said:
Holy fuck, this album is gonna slay.

Anyone who's into death/doom stuff like Ulcerate with a heavy dose of avant-garde weirdness added to the mix should really check out the new Ehnahre album, which just came out on Crucial Blast. I posted about them in here a couple years ago when their debut came out, and they've amassed a respectable following since then, but I think they're still criminally under-appreciated. They're one of the very few good metal bands in Boston these days (where I'm from), so I feel somewhat obligated to let people know about them. You can stream the first song and clips of the others here.

Oooooh, featuring members of Kayo Dot? I'll definitely have to check these guys out.

Flynn

Christian Mistress was pretty damn cool. If you're one of those people who wished Metallica stuck to the Kill 'em All vibe you should check them out. These guys (and gal) are seriously devoted NWOBHM revival.

Their opener Gypsyhawk wasn't half bad either.

Didn't have the patience for much of Thrones, I dig that kind of stuff and will give anybody who has played with Melvins my attention, but I had an hour and half drive ahead of me so I bailed during the first drone.

EzLink

Banned
The fuck, there is new Dream Theater material? And it's apparently so bad that another band is bashing it on facebook? How did I miss this!

EDIT: Can't find anything about new DT online either!

EzLink said:
The fuck, there is new Dream Theater material? And it's apparently so bad that another band is bashing it on facebook? How did I miss this!

EDIT: Can't find anything about new DT online either!

What is this all about now? I need details, man!

vatstep

Stereogum posted a song from the new Agalloch album... I'm gonna try to hold off listening to it as I want to listen to the album as a whole when it comes out. Profound Lore should have it up for sale in a couple of weeks.

http://stereogum.com/560291/hear-ag...h-john-haughm/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

Profound Lore also has the new Salome album for sale as of today, another release I'm really psyched about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom