• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Victor

I know you kvlt black metal squirm at the name, but the new Dimmu Borgir album is out and, surprise surprise, I think it's actually quite good. I've only heard the "singles" with Dimmu before, and I like those but whenever I try to listen to their albums from start to finish I get bored.

Well, I do get bored with this release too, but I just love the orchestral elements. They are really, really good. The self-titled song could have been a power metal song (the chorus screams Rhapsody), though. But since I love me some power metal...

Solid release, anyhow. But they are really leaving their black metal roots with every release.

I heard the song "Gateways" off the new Dimmu Borgir, and I thought it was fucking awful. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who loved the band up through PEM, and kinda liked the albums after that. I could barely sit through the song. They are officially dead to me now, after years of listening to them.

El_Victor

Captain Howdy said:
I heard the song "Gateways" off the new Dimmu Borgir, and I thought it was fucking awful. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who loved the band up through PEM, and kinda liked the albums after that. I could barely sit through the song. They are officially dead to me now, after years of listening to them.
Try listen to this, it's more straight forward, "undiluted metal":
http://soundcloud.com/nuclearblastrecords/dimmu-borgir-born-treacherous
But if you think that's awful too then stay away. Dimmu Borgir is basically industrial gothic metal. They have more in common with Rammstein than Immortal by now.

Zozobra

I love everything that Enslaved has released, but I'm finding 'Axioma Ethica Odini' is sooooooo much better than 'Vertebrae'. Glad they've brought back a bit more heaviness on this album.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Zozobra said:
I love everything that Enslaved has released, but I'm finding 'Axioma Ethica Odini' is sooooooo much better than 'Vertebrae'. Glad they've brought back a bit more heaviness on this album.

I love everything Enslaved has done up to and including Below the Lights, but after that they became predictable and dull. Hopefully the new album is a return to form.

EzLink

Banned
Holy shit? Apparently High on Fire has been touring, they are coming to a venue about 30 minutes away from me next Saturday and tickets are only $15. I've been listening to Snakes for the Divine a shit ton lately, so this is awesome news

Seriously, SftD is a goddam spectacular album. Nearly perfect, and a huge step up from Death is this Communion

In fact, can I get some recommendations for similar sounding bands? I've never really gotten into the whole doom metal scene, but if there are other bands as good as HoF I'd definitely be interested

EzLink

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Here's a few stoner/doom/progressive bands that sound similar to HoF, I guess;

Black Tusk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn7sQ2mImLA
The Sword - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL7ndxWgW5A
Orange Goblin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlGW6SPKDVo

I was already a fan of the sword, but the other two bands sounded good, particularly black tusk. Will definitely check into them further, thanks!

Also does anyone know anything about Torche and Kylesa? Those are the two bands HoF is playing with, and I've never heard of them before

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
EzLink said:
I was already a fan of the sword, but the other two bands sounded good, particularly black tusk. Will definitely check into them further, thanks!

Also does anyone know anything about Torche and Kylesa? Those are the two bands HoF is playing with, and I've never heard of them before

Both are better than the band you're going to see.

EzLink

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Both are better than the band you're going to see.

:lol :lol :lol

Maybe so! If that is true then $15 is a steal for what sounds like a helluva show

Can you link me to a good song from each band plz?

EzLink said:
:lol :lol :lol

Maybe so! If that is true then $15 is a steal for what sounds like a helluva show

Can you link me to a good song from each band plz?

Torche - Mentor
Torche - Charge Of The Brown Recluse
Torche - Pirana
Torche - Healer

Kylesa - Unknown Awareness
Kylesa - Hollow Severer

Torche is fucking awful now. I have no idea what their setlist is nowadays, but when they came around for their first album/ep, it was fucking awesome.

Kylesa will be fucking fun to watch. 2 drummers, awesome chick guitarists.

CassSept

Fuck yes, it seems that Blind Guardian is playing Wheel of Time on every show in their current tour :D :D :D

Has anybody been to BG concert before? How are they live?

Chibrou

CassSept said:
Fuck yes, it seems that Blind Guardian is playing Wheel of Time on every show in their current tour :D :D :D

Has anybody been to BG concert before? How are they live?

Terrific :)
Just saw them this week in paris.
The track list as i remember it :

Sacred worlds
Welcome to dying
Valhala
imagination from the other side
Born in a mourning hall
past and a future secret
fly
this will never end
bard's song
punishment divine
Wheel of time
Voice in the dark
traveller in time
nightfall
Mirror mirror
Time stands still at the iron hill

The sound was just correct but the audience is like another member of the band, every chorus feel so epic, hansi has a great energy and his voice is perfect.
I'm just disapointed that "and then there was silence" hasn"t made the setlist.

Hellcrow

Anyone got any other songs that are similar to Through Silver in Blood by Neurosis? Punishing, repetitive but interesting all the way through.

Hellcrow said:
Anyone got any other songs that are similar to Through Silver in Blood by Neurosis? Punishing, repetitive but interesting all the way through.

Isis - Celestial (The Tower)
Rosetta - Project Mercury
Cult Of Luna - Dark City, Dead Man (this is a long song, but the last half is amazing)

imo, Cult Of Luna is the most interesting out of all of them.

and behold....
GODFLESH - Like Rats
GODFLESH - Streetcleaner

the ultimate in crushing, mechanical, brooding atmosphere. One of my favorite bands of all time.

the new Melechesh, The Epigenesis is out :D
epigenesis.jpg

Middle Eastern themed 'folk' black metal, it's a great successor to the really good Emissaries. Also recommended to people who don't like black metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxXqnQvS0DY

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have to say, for a bad made up of 20-22 year old kids, Black Tide is all sorts of awesome. Their debut album is basically Kill 'Em All, very 80s inspired down to the vocals and lyrics. And ironically, they have a perfect cover of "Hit The Lights" on their album, which even Lars Ulrich loved. Hah.

I saw them perform live with Bullet last week, and they're a very tight band for being so young.

Warriors of Time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9mo7rFWLbY

Shockwave:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPq4rHdNjSA

Nisa65

Giant Robot said:
and behold....
GODFLESH - Like Rats
GODFLESH - Streetcleaner

the ultimate in crushing, mechanical, brooding atmosphere. One of my favorite bands of all time.

A mate of mine is a big Godflesh fan and he's roped me in to going to see them in Glasgow later this month. I've only ever listened to Selfless and that was about 15 years ago. Can't complain though as I've roped him into seeing Dillinger Escape Plan during the same week.

Nisa65 said:
A mate of mine is a big Godflesh fan and he's roped me in to going to see them in Glasgow later this month. I've only ever listened to Selfless and that was about 15 years ago. Can't complain though as I've roped him into seeing Dillinger Escape Plan during the same week.

prepare for something to go wrong at a Godflesh show :lol
Their re-union show a few months ago was disastrous and cut short. Many times because the drum machines break.

faridmon

I keep listening to Fiction and Damage Done all the time. I wish i knew more awsome Metal Albums like that In Melodic Death Metal genre :(

EzLink

Banned
faridmon said:
I keep listening to Fiction and Damage Done all the time. I wish i knew more awsome Metal Albums like that In Melodic Death Metal genre :(

Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God is pretty spectacular, as is Eluveitie's Slania

I highly recommend both

Nisa65

Giant Robot said:
prepare for something to go wrong at a Godflesh show :lol
Their re-union show a few months ago was disastrous and cut short. Many times because the drum machines break.

My mate told me there was "technical difficulties" the last time he saw Jesu as well, apparently Broaderick's laptop crashed mid set.

faridmon

EzLink said:
Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God is pretty spectacular, as is Eluveitie's Slania

I highly recommend both
Yeah, I remember you recommending them to me :lol

Will buy the next time I pop up to HMV.

Alright well, I know there is a handful of prog metal fans in here. One of my previous posts from a few months ago, I listed a bunch of prog metal bands since I think EzLink wanted some suggestions. Anyway one of them was Darkwater, a relatively unknown prog metal band that is kind of a mixture between Circus maximus and Dream Theater. Very good band if you like prog metal.

Anyway, they are set to release their 2nd album "Where Stories End" next month November 23rd for US and November 12th for Europe.

rWK14.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/darkwaterofficial

There are some sample clips from the new album and the player on the site has a bunch of full length songs from the first album. I would suggest giving them a listen if you like prog metal. May require a few listens(as do a lot of prog metal) to really get into it.

EzLink

Banned
Lionheart, you made some excellent recommendations earlier, I'll definitely check that album out once it hits stores. Sounds promising

hie

AlphaSnake said:
I have to say, for a bad made up of 20-22 year old kids, Black Tide is all sorts of awesome. Their debut album is basically Kill 'Em All, very 80s inspired down to the vocals and lyrics. And ironically, they have a perfect cover of "Hit The Lights" on their album, which even Lars Ulrich loved. Hah.

I saw them perform live with Bullet last week, and they're a very tight band for being so young.

Warriors of Time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9mo7rFWLbY

Shockwave:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPq4rHdNjSA

Sounds more like old Motley Crue than old Metallica to me...

Listening to the new Elvenking album "Red Silent Tides" right now. I'm about half-way through and I actually enjoy it much more than I thought I would based on what I had heard.

It would definitely appear that this band is losing the urge to beat you over the head with their folkyness and trading it in for poppy hooks and huge choruses. Which is totally fine if you can do it well, and so far they do a solid job of it. It's very clear this isn't the same band that made Heathenreel though.

EzLink

Banned
Haha, Elvenking. Excellent melodies and music, but some of the most offensively ridiculous lyrics I've ever heard. For example, while Heathenreel is a good album, the very first track is about losing your virginity to an oak tree :lol

Blackheim

Giant Robot said:
unmistakable Atheist sound. Sounds like a heavier Unquestionable Presence with some obvious Elements influence thrown in. But where's the bass lines??? That was a huge sound to Atheist.

Yeah, the bass seems to be following the guitar half the time and the drums the other half. It's not really doing a lot aside from that, which it still sounds good but, it seems to be somewhat buried when the bass isn't hitting high notes.

Doesn't matter much to me really, it's still an impressive song and I need to get that CD pre-ordered soon...

Ceres

Banned
I haven't kept up with this thread but I believe this hasn't been posted.

Regarding Timo Tolkki of Stratovarius fame who went on to form Revolution Renaissance after falling out with those guys. We already knew he was delusional but apparently he's also turned into a scam artist.

Timo Tolkki: Metal's Milli Vanilli
"The guitar playing is fierce; it sounds like someone set Timo's shirt on fire and he's playing as if his life depends on getting some point across" - Jens Johannson (Stratovarius)

"Aggressive, progressive, dark and powreful solos and trying to say: hey I'm a guitar god. And I like that" - Raziel SR (Stratoforum)

"Tolkki should win a prize for the 'best solos of the year'!! ALL the solos are SPECTACULAR!! Much better technique than on the Stratovarius days" - Vinicius (Revolution Renaissance group on ORKUT)

Musicians and fans all over the world were blown away by Revolution Renaissance's new album "Trinity" out September 24th 2010 on Napalm Records. Among the reviews, the new guitar solos by Timo Tolkki attracted enthusiastic words. But those who were touched by his virtuosos cannot imagine what lies beneath the making of this record.

What is about to unfold is one of the biggest scandals in music industry since Milli Vanilli's lip-syncing episode was unmasked in the nineties.

The guitar hero cheated on his loyal fans. Tolkki also betrayed his former bandmates. He got credit for the amazing solos that he NEVER composed nor played during the "Trinity" and "Age of Aquarius" sessions.

In July, two months before the release of "Trinity", Tolkki told the other members from RR that he wanted to put the band to rest. After his announcement, the co-producer of the album, Santtu Lehtiniemi, got in touch with the rest of the band and revealed the truth. The guitar solos recorded in Finland were performed by him, Santtu. It's a scandal when the band leader is someone who has been ranked by Guitar World magazine as one of the 50 fastest guitar players of all time.

Mixed emotions took place in Tolkki's former bandmates' hearts. Despite the frustration about being fooled artistically and economically, they got excited about Santtu Lehtiniemi's true talent and chose to move on together.

You can view it here:
http://www.revolutionrenaissance.net/

Done copying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom