• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
EzLink said:
Still not digging the new album? Has it grown on you at all yet, or still too early to tell?

Khan is a stunning vocalist

It is too bad he gets sick quite often. His voice was perfect though when I saw Kamelot live.

EzLink said:
Still not digging the new album? Has it grown on you at all yet, or still too early to tell?

Still giving it time to sink in, my friend. I don't think it's bad, I'm just stuck comparing it to The Black Halo, Karma, and Epica, which are three of my favorite albums. It has time to grow on me. :D

-Eddman-

Holy fucking shit, Avantasia is coming to Mexico this december with Kai Hansen and Michael fucking Kiske. Shit, I never thought i would see the day when my favorite singer ever and one of my favorite guitarists ever were together again in the same stage AND in my country.

Can't wait :D

-Eddman- said:
Holy fucking shit, Avantasia is coming to Mexico this december with Kai Hansen and Michael fucking Kiske. Shit, I never thought i would see the day when my favorite singer ever and one of my favorite guitarists ever were together again in the same stage AND in my country.

Can't wait :D

I am so ridiculously jealous of you right now! LUCKY! :D

Nah, seems like you guys in Mexico get screwed out of a lot of concerts, so I'm happy for you. But I'd be even happier if that bill came a few thousand miles north. :D

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Next year's ProgPower USA lineup:

Friday:

Creation's End
Voyager
Eldritch
Mob Rules
Arcturus
Sanctuary

Saturday:

Haken
While Heaven Wept
Red Circuit
Labyrinth
Dream Evil
Therion

It looks to be a great lineup. I'm not familiar with many of the bands but I would love to go if I had the opportunity. Wasn't Arcturus split up for years?

Korranator

Is this thread dead or something?

Friggin Death Spell Omega is coming out with a new release in November and not a word is mentioned in here.

2010paracletus.jpg

Paracletus

Final piece of the trilogy release date Nov 8th.

Outlaw

Banned
EzLink said:

I have listened to the album at least 10 times and still don't like it. I do like the first song, The Great Pandemonium, but the rest don't. It's not that its a bad album but it's so different that the previous ones. Also, a lot of songs sound the similar. The guitars are just hidden some where way behind all the synths and choirs with the exception of maybe 2 songs. Not only that but Roy's voice is annoying since its using so many different effects and it's the whiniest it has ever been. It was said that this was supposed to please both old and new fas, new being Ghost Opera fans, of the band. Well, there is nothing in this album that resembles the old Kamelot. Just go back to 4th Legacy, Karma and Epica. This album sounds nothing alike and is no where near as good as them. Yeah, it's a good album and maybe new fans will like it better than the old ones but this is not the Kamelot sound i fell in love with. I'm going to put it away for a while, maybe I'll like it better next time I hear it but right now, I am very disappointed.

P.S Get rid of Oliver Palotai, he's obviously injecting too much of his influence since he joined kamelot. First Ghost Opera now this.

Zozobra

Korranator said:

Friggin Death Spell Omega is coming out with a new release in November and not a word is mentioned in here.

Paracletus

Ooooh, did not know about this, I look forward to hearing it.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Korranator said:

2010paracletus.jpg

Paracletus

They're no longer on Norma Evangelium Diaboli. Season of Mist is waaayyy less kvlt. :p

corkscrewblow said:
oh shit The Sword has a new album? I'm getting on that asap.

Their new album is exactly what I expected; shallow, trite, overproduced, with forgettable vocal melodies, but it's waaaaay better than their shitty 2nd album. It doesn't meet the energy of Age of Winters, but the album's still catchy and full of saccharin-sweet hooks, which makes this the perfect background metal. I like working out to this or driving with it.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
EzLink said:

It's not Khan at all; it's the music behind Khan that pretty much ruins everything. That's why I hate Poetry for the Poisoned with a passion. I loved The Black Halo album but everything after that was decent (ghost Opera) then crap (PftP). The only song that I liked from Ghost Opera was "Rule The World".

EzLink

Banned
Dang, sucks that none of you guys are feeling the new Kamelot. It is a lot different but I can never resist masterful vocals mixed with heavy, progressive guitar work. The more I listen to it the more I like it, and the more I think it will end up ranking just below The Black Halo for me

To be fair though, I've only heard Epica, Black Halo, and Ghost Opera. Maybe if I was a long time Kamelot fan that enjoyed their entire discography I would share in the disappointment, but as it is I think their new direction is a lot more enjoyable

Also the four part title track song is really fucking awesome

EzLink

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Anybody listen to the new Angra album? It's about as good as their last one, which is not that great.

This is probably my favorite track from it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV57OE4oBzc

You think so? I actually really like it. I think it's quite a bit better than Aurora, but it took me about 10 or so listens before I got to that point. It was a pretty slow burner for me but now I can't get enough of it

And yes Spirit of the Air is rad

EzLink said:
You think so? I actually really like it. I think it's quite a bit better than Aurora, but it took me about 10 or so listens before I got to that point. It was a pretty slow burner for me but now I can't get enough of it

And yes Spirit of the Air is rad

I do like it. It's just that this one and the last one are disappointing after the brilliant Temple of Shadows.

Ceres

Banned
Got back from Atlanta late last night.

Michael signing for Kamelot was AMAZING. If you're not familiar with Circus Maximus, know that Michael has a specular voice and while missing Roy's stage presence, he's actually able to keep his voice better than Roy can in a live setting these days. Hell, the first time Circus Maximus played at Progpower, I overheard someone call him Roy Khan Jr on the way to get food. And Tommy Karevik of Seventh Wonder came out and did EdenEcho. The guy's voice is just as amazing live as it is on CD. Seeing SW twice over the weekend including an acoustic performance of One Last Goodbye! ffffffff. I had chills up my spine.
Also, Charlotte from Delain came out and did The Haunting and they even had the male backup singer, Jake, do Forever. He and Elize, the female backup vocals, are from the band Amaranthe which I will make sure to check out now. And Marco came out for Delain's set to do The Gathering and Control the Storm.

So what I'm trying to say is, I am so fucking tired right now after this week.

Also, we were talking about not going next year because we want to do a trip to Japan or Australia. Well, then Therion got announced and they're going to be performing a special 2 hr set as their only stop in the US (for a long time to come most likely). Now it's a can't miss show again.

Lineup for next year:

Friday:

CREATIONS END
VOYAGER
ELDRITCH
MOB RULES
ARCTURUS
SANCTUARY

Saturday:

HAKEN
WHILE HEAVEN WEPT
RED CIRCUIT
LABYRINTH
DREAM EVIL
THERION

Ceres

Banned
Some photos from Friday night. Haven't transferred the Saturday ones off my iPhone yet. Lights were extremely warm most of the night and people were overzealous with the smoke during certain bands so not the greatest photos but not bad for a cellphone. I used the hipstamatic app a lot.

Illusion Suite:
cwvDm9asA3Lw9aMmAbl5etGTAg

Blackguard:
ry%3D400

Seventh Wonder:

Tyr:

Kamelot:
cwvDm9asA3Lw9atmQbl5etGTCg

Ceres said:
Got back from Atlanta late last night.

Michael signing for Kamelot was AMAZING. If you're not familiar with Circus Maximus, know that Michael has a specular voice and while missing Roy's stage presence, he's actually able to keep his voice better than Roy can in a live setting these days. Hell, the first time Circus Maximus played at Progpower, I overheard someone call him Roy Khan Jr on the way to get food. And Tommy Karevik of Seventh Wonder came out and did EdenEcho. The guy's voice is just as amazing live as it is on CD. Seeing SW twice over the weekend including an acoustic performance of One Last Goodbye! ffffffff. I had chills up my spine.
Also, Charlotte from Delain came out and did The Haunting and they even had the male backup singer, Jake, do Forever. He and Elize, the female backup vocals, are from the band Amaranthe which I will make sure to check out now. And Marco came out for Delain's set to do The Gathering and Control the Storm.

So what I'm trying to say is, I am so fucking tired right now after this week.

You bastard! Just kidding.

But damn I really want to see seventh wonder live. Mercy Falls is one of my favorite prog albums of all time. I just wish progpower wasn't just a one location thing. :/ SW has a new song up + video on their website. Can't wait until the new album this fall!

Also, this is probably old news to most of you, but I finally got Fear Factory's newest "Mechanize." Its pretty good and its growin on me. I like it better than Trangression but I'm not sure if it beats archetype. I gotta listen it more.

saw SLEEP last night in San Francisco.
BY FAR the best show I've ever seen in my life. Opened up with Dopesmoker/Jerusalem which went on for about 20 minutes, then non-chalantly into Holy Mountain stuff, all coming back and ending it with Dopesmoker/Jerusalem seamlessly. I think they did a cover of Ozzy's Over The Mountain as I was walking out, but i was completely out of it by then.

3549038056_1bec864b97_z.jpg

Giant Robot said:
BY FAR the best show I've ever seen in my life. Opened up with Dopesmoker/Jerusalem which went on for about 20 minutes, then non-chalantly into Holy Mountain stuff, all coming back and ending it with Dopesmoker/Jerusalem seamlessly. I think they did a cover of Ozzy's Over The Mountain as I was walking out, but i was completely out of it by then.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/3549038056_1bec864b97_z.jpg]

Fuck yes. One of the best shows I have seen in years. Absolutely mind blowing. (Saw them in Chicago last Thursday.)

Flynn

Captain Howdy said:
Fuck yes. One of the best shows I have seen in years. Absolutely mind blowing. (Saw them in Chicago last Thursday.)

They played at FYF but the show was too exhausting for me to last. I hope they come back to L.A.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Giant Robot said:
Damn, sounds awesome. I'm bummed they didn't come to Boston. I went down to NYC to see Sunn O))) & Boris, and Sleep played the night before AND after, but I just couldn't afford to take another day off of work.

hie

EzLink said:
Wait Sleep is still active? Didn't they reform as High on Fire?

No. Just Matt Pike went on to form HoF. Al Cisneros and Chris Hakius (bass & drums) went on to form Om.

Ialokin

Some recent youtube discoveries I have made (I'm taking the genre from the youtube descriptions):

Nefertum (Symphonic Black):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLcZSdLOBgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g2nFj5wVH4

Amogh Symphony ((Instrumental) Progressive Death):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2i413V-AA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLZ8xx_hiWA

Mencea (Progressive Groove Death):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkw6dYA1z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4bSQx0Sa28

Myndsnare (Progressive Thrash / Death):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmjwHXIbo64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SuOrteqTg

Inner Sanctum (Thrash / Death):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_cgZnWor8

Hydrodjent (Ambient Groove Metal):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QgfGZyPuYs

Apparently India has a ton of great metal I've never heard of before.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Captain Howdy said:

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

I can't believe I missed this. I fucking hate work.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Just heard the leaked Therion album. All I can say is that Mats Levén is missed. He's voice was fuckin good on gothic kabbalah, but he left. anyways, new album returns to its pure opera metal roots with few singers just like in gothic kabbalah. it's not bad, but i finally thought that Therion would include a full string orchestra mixed with metal like Septic Flesh's communion album. oh well...so im gonna give this album another spin before I purchase it on amazon.

Manics

Banned
Just getting into Opeth, after following Steven Wilson's travels and learning about his involvement on some of their albums. Any other metal bands that are similar?

Manics said:
Just getting into Opeth, after following Steven Wilson's travels and learning about his involvement on some of their albums. Any other metal bands that are similar?

depends what era of Opeth you're into. They've been sounding like Porcupine Tree for the majority of their career now.

Manics

Banned
Giant Robot said:
depends what era of Opeth you're into. They've been sounding like Porcupine Tree for the majority of their career now.

Heard the two newest albums and now listening to Blackwater Park. Love the changes from metal to acoustic and growling vocals to clean, so jarring on some songs.

Hex

Banned
Slow period for shows but not terrible.
Jon Oliva's Pain tomorrow (Savatage was one of the bands that got be into metal) and then Blind Guardian in December.

Thought for a few minutes about doing a Gwar show but I really do not think I could go through it anymore and I od not think I have honestly listened to an entire album in quite a while.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Giant Robot said:
!!!

sounds promising. It better deliver, unlike the last pos album 'Elements'

Does not compute. Elements is a masterpiece.

Anyhoo, new Agalloch album dated!

AGALLOCH - Complete New Album/West Coast Tour Imminent
Pacific Northwest dark metal legends AGALLOCH have completed work on their fourth full-length entitled “Marrow Of The Spirit”, the follow-up to 2006’s “Ashes Against The Grain”.

agalloch_coverart_250.jpg

Where the three predecessors to “Marrow Of The Spirit” (namely “Pale Folklore”, “The Mantle”, and the aforementioned “Ashes Against The Grain”) all differ from each other, the same can be applied with the new album as “Marrow Of The Spirit” is unlike anything AGALLOCH have ever produced before. This is also the first album to feature new AGALLOCH drummer Aesop Dekker (also in Profound Lore acts LUDICRA and WORM OUROBOROS) and features guest appearances by cellist Jackie Perez Gratz (GRAYCEON, GIANT SQUID, ASUNDER, AMBER ASYLUM), Jeffrey Neblock (VINDENSANG), and Nathan Carson (WITCH MOUNTAIN, TWO-TON BOA, SUNN 0)))).

Recorded and mixed on analog through the means of exquisite vintage gear within the months of July and August in Portland, Oregon at Audible Alchemy Studios with (FAUST guitarist) Steven Wray Lobdell and mastered and manifested in San Francisco, California at Trakworx Studios with Justin Weis (LUDICRA, SLOUGH FEG, HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE) the six time-stretching songs that encompass “Marrow Of The Spirit” each come across as their own distinct identities amongst themselves. At over an hour in length, “Marrow Of The Spirit” is AGALLOCH’s darkest, bleakest, most dense, detailed and aggressive album to date and in turn is the most accomplished album of their career.

To officially be released in North America Nov 23th through Profound Lore Records, tracklisting for “Marrow Of The Spirit” goes as follows:

1. They Escaped The Weight Of Darkness [3:41]
2. Into The Painted Grey [12:25]
3. The Watcher’s Monolith [11:46]
4. Black Lake Nidstang [17:34]
5. Ghosts Of The Midwinter Fires [9:40]
6. To Drown [10:27]

WEST COAST TOUR WITH ALLERSEELEN ANNOUNCED

In accordance with the release of “Marrow Of The Spirit”, AGALLOCH have announced a West Coast tour with Austrian industrial/neo-folk/martial ambient act Allerseelen. The tour begins on Dec 17th in AGALLOCH’s hometown of Portland, Oregon which will also serve as their record release show. The dates with Allerseelen go as follows:

December
12/17 – Portland, OR @ Berbati’s Pan (w/Aerial Ruin)
12/18 – Seattle, WA @ Neumo’s (w/Alda)
12/21 – Los Angeles, CA @ tba
12/22 – San Francisco, CA @ Great American Music Hall (w/Dispirit)

tumblr_l4fzy4p2gi1qcu022o1_500.gif

Witchfinder General said:
Does not compute. Elements is a masterpiece.

I liked maybe about 3 songs off that album. The recording was a mess. They were way too stoned when they made that album. Clearly heavily influenced by Tony Choy at the time, while the THREE guitarists took a step back....i dunno it was just an awkward album for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom