• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vespasian said:
I keep dipping in and out of this thread, but I recently discovered Technical Death Metal. For those that are already partial to solid death metal, a few of these bands are definitely worth checking out:

Necrophagist - Seven

Gorod - Disavow Your God

Son of Aurelius - Facing the Gorgon

Hope these bands keep some of you entertained for a while :)

not much of a wankfest, but some of the earlier technical death metal stuff:

Atrocity - Godless Years
Atheist - Piece Of Time
Cynic- Pleading For Preservation
Disincarnate- Entranced

Cryptopsy kinda made it fun again Cryptopsy- Slit Your Guts

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hydranockz said:
How fucking wrong I was!!!

:O

Thanks for posting this! I'm not much of a fan of Children of Bodom, but Amon Amarth & Ensiferum? Too good to pass up. Next year's already looking awesome gig-wise;

Rob Zombie
Kyuss Lives!
Children of Bodom
Enslaved

Fuck yeah.

lopaz

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
White Wizzard are pretty fun. Holy Grail are a band basically made up of ex-members of WW and I find them to actually be better. You should check 'em out!

Aye, I know of their work. Some utterly fantastic songs by them, especially 'Call of Valhalla', but WW still edge it for me :p . I'm just loving this whole trad revival thing atm, here's another couple great examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-9lA5ubxKU - Wolf, Hail Ceasar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9mo7rFWLbY - Black Tide, Warriors of Time

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Seraphis Cain said:
Anyone else listening to Gallowbraid's debut EP, Ashen Eidolon? It's SO FUCKING GOOD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjrCiq7aiVI

Seriously.
Started listening to it today. It is indeed amazing - feels very reminiscent of agalloch with it's own unique touch.

Also started listening to that Casevet album that was mentioned a few posts back. And it's pretty damn good as well.

Witchfinder General said:
I don't know what's more annoying; that this got canceled or that I only heard about the festival now considering that I WORK in Newtown.

Bleh.
So strange to hear it get shut down in an area such as Newtown though.
Newtown, the area which the venue is located at for non-Sydney gaf, has a strong reputation for its alternative street life. People of various ethnicities, sexual orientations, and subcultures all intermingle openly in the one suburb.

Seraphis Cain said:
Anyone else listening to Gallowbraid's debut EP, Ashen Eidolon? It's SO FUCKING GOOD.

Seriously.
The Ashen Eidolon EP is great, though a bit too similiar to Agalloch's "Ashes Against the Grain". Title track is badass though

Zero Hero

I've never heard of Deathspell Omega until the past couple pages of this thread. I'm horrified yet spell bound by the beauty of the music. I've never heard anything like it and that is why this is my favorite thread on gaf. :D

Drinking a Bornem Triple in anticipation of leaving for the Blind Guardian concert. Relax, it's not my turn to drive. :D

I'll post a review with set list tomorrow.

EzLink

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Drinking a Bornem Triple in anticipation of leaving for the Blind Guardian concert. Relax, it's not my turn to drive. :D

I'll post a review with set list tomorrow.

YES! Have fun with the Bard's tonight my friend. Can't wait to hear about it

Whoa, a metal thread, where has this been all my life?

Seraphis Cain said:

Seriously.

This is quite awesome, it sounds like Agalloch except more upbeat to the point of quasi power metal in the middle before the female vocals kick in. Too bad the lead singer sounds exactly like John Haughm, he should do more to differentiate his sound.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
NEOPARADIGM said:
Hey so can somebody flip me some Ministry recommendations? Like, what are their best (read: most popular) 3-5 songs?

Danke.

1. Revenge
2. Revenge
3. Revenge
4. Revenge
5. Revenge

Am I trolling, or do I genuinely like that song? You decide.

So, the Blind Guardian show was... FUCKAWESOME. :lol

Actually managed to grab front row almost center. Dude that was front center was an immovable object for the entire set and had a good foot and 150 or so pounds on me, so I was screwed with people trying to plow me out of the way instead of him, but I held strong, even while having to make sure my wife didn't get killed by crowdsurfers. I don't do floor much in my old age (26) but it was so worth it for this.

First off, I'll say this was definitely the most physically demanding power metal show I've ever been to. Usually the crowd is more the "stand and headbang and fistpump" type at these shows, but there was an endless flood of crowdsurfing, especially when Blind Guardian played something like Majesty or Mirror Mirror.

The Openers were good, which was a relief because I had to sit through an hour of Leaves' Eyes last time BG came to town. The first band was a female fronted power metal band from Florida called Seven Kingdoms. They look to be really young and I'd say they have to learn a bit of showmanship but I thought they were pretty darn good. Sounded like an Early Edguy/Iced Earth hybrid with midrange powerful vocals supplied by the smallest singer I've ever seen. She was probably 4'10". Sounded really cute talking in between songs too. :lol I believe they played 4 or 5 songs, all off the new S/T album, with the last one being around 8 minutes. I definitely enjoyed them.

Holy Grail were VERY fucking good. They made up for Seven Kingdoms' lack of showmanship, as they were fucking all over the place during the set. They played stuff off their new album "Crisis in Utopia", and one song that I couldn't recognize but it had some killer vocal harmonies. The singer has also perfected the "hold the orb and scream like a banshee" move. I love that.

Blind Guardian were just outstanding, the crowd was losing their fucking shit during the entire set. Tons of sing-a-longs and fist pumps all around. It's hard for me to really put in words how good it was, so I won't really. :lol Hansi was def in rare form though in terms of talking to the crowd. As it was the first date they were all suffering from jetlag, but it really didn't matter as they were still on point. Hansi made a joke at some point after someone apparently threw a rag with some money in it on the stage (I don't know either) and Hansi was like "Ahhh american currency is in here! Too bad it's not worth anything anymore!" which was followed by a massive "OHHHH" from the crowd. :lol

Blind Guardian Set List
Sacred Worlds
Welcome to Dying
Born in a Mourning Hall
Nightfall
Fly
Time Stands Still
Traveller in Time (I think this was my song of the set, I love TFtTW)
This Will Never End
A Voice in the Dark
Lord of the Rings
Imaginations from the Other Side

Encore:
Wheel of Time
The Bard's Song
Valhalla
Majesty
Mirror Mirror

Don't want to get too riled up, because I don't want to gush like a fanboy, so I'll just say if you go you will not be disappointed! Fucking best live band ever. :D

yacobod

Banned
Traveler in Time, looks to be the highlight of the concert
Valhalla, majesty, welcome to dying are nice

too bad they don't have banish from sanctuary, time what is time, or lost in the twilight hall in the setlist though

maybe they add in one of the above mentioned songs and cut out some of the fat from that set list

El_Victor

yacobod said:
Traveler in Time, looks to be the highlight of the concert
Valhalla, majesty, welcome to dying are nice

too bad they don't have banish from sanctuary, time what is time, or lost in the twilight hall in the setlist though

maybe they add in one of the above mentioned songs and cut out some of the fat from that set list

Those two has been played, I heard Twilight Hall in Sweden.

I would have been happy to have seen Banish from Sanctuary or The Last Candle, but sadly can't always get what you want.

I know quite a few people probably won't be happy with Fly being in the setlist but it got a VERY good crowd reception, so there you go.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Any tips on how I should handle my valuables? Was going to rubber band my wallet+phone, but if the crowd's gonna be aggressive as TheLastCandle indicated should I pick up a wallet chain or something?

EviLore said:
Any tips on how I should handle my valuables? Was going to rubber band my wallet+phone, but if the crowd's gonna be aggressive as TheLastCandle indicated should I pick up a wallet chain or something?

You should be totally fine, man. The concert, while pretty intense for a power/traditional metal show was about on par for the average rock/metal show. Every venue is different though, but if the people are as rowdy at your show as they were at mine, prepare to dodge crowdsurfers like there is no tomorrow. :D

Slayer or Municipal Waste this was not, so you need not worry about getting punched in the skull. I hope.

yacobod

Banned
EviLore said:

nothing to worry about really, the best recommendation i can give you is to tie your shoes if you plan on getting in there, or wear boots if you think you are going to get stepped on quite a bit

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
yacobod said:
nothing to worry about really, the best recommendation i can give you is to tie your shoes if you plan on getting in there, or wear boots if you think you are going to get stepped on quite a bit

Yeah I'm going to wear boots.

Sonki.

Banned
Showing off my bands new 12''LP.

150576_458020791993_649096993_6156575_5366651_n.jpg

If anyone wants one - message me. I can hook you up with a download if you want as well.

CassSept

Ah, NA leg started? Damn, I envy you all who have yet to see Blind Guardian live :( It's been over a month and I still remember how fuckawesome the concert was. Majesty, Valhalla and Mirror Mirror were the songs that riled the crowd up the most as far as I remember. The set was pretty great, though I'm sad they went with The Quest for Tanelorn (one of my least favourite BG songs). But overall, it's an exhilarating experience. Sing-a-longs during ballads were amazing too.

That also reminds me, it's nearly 4 months since the initial leak and I have listened to Wheel of Time at least once every single day :lol

Blackheim

The End Records is having a decent sale, currently it stands at 60% off of select titles. Supposedly the discount will increase next week too. Good time to pick some stuff up. There's a lot to sort through but, there are some really good albums on sale: Sale Here

rexor0717

I knew I'd find some people hating on post-Nightfall in this thread. I really want to go see them when they come to San Francisco, but I have a final that day, and the next day. Plus I have no way to get there. Damn.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Blackheim said:
The End Records is having a decent sale, currently it stands at 60% off of select titles. Supposedly the discount will increase next week too. Good time to pick some stuff up. There's a lot to sort through but, there are some really good albums on sale: Sale Here

99% garbage but I did order Perfect Pitch Black by Cave In and Katorz by Voivod, both on vinyl for $25 including shipping to Australia.

Pretty fucking cheap.

Blackheim

Haha, yeah there's a lot there I have no interest in. One man's garbage though...

I picked up the last Fall of the Leafe album and Confessor - Sour Times. I'll have another look next week or so and see if anything else gets added that I want to grab.

SnakeXs said:
There's nothing heavy about Blind Guardian.

I'm not even sure what "heavy" means these days, it seems to vary. They aren't heavy in a crushing, Sabbath way that is fo sho. It doesn't really fit into their power/speed + Queen sound.

corpserot

Flynn said:
Anybody seen Watain on this tour? I'm hearing they're up to some craziness.
Saw them the other night in San Diego. They where just as excellent as they where at Deathfest this year, atmosphere was great too. Smelled like dead animals and my nostrils where black from the candles or whatever watain had going on.

A friend and I actually walked in an hour before the show to hang out at the bar, there was pretty much no one at the venue except crew,etc. but no one was stopping us from going in. So we get to the bar and Watain was just there having some drinks and watching Hercules in New York on the bar TV.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
DieNgamers said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSj589WmS0
The latest Cathedral album is a bit hit and miss but I really like tunes like this one! The first 3 songs on any Cathedral always seem to be my favourites. :)

It's actually a great album, only let down by the lack of cohesion in the songs. The best track is Journey Into Jade which is the band singing about their musical past and using their album names in the lyrics, ala Megadeth's Victory.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
TheLastCandle said:
I'm not even sure what "heavy" means these days, it seems to vary. They aren't heavy in a crushing, Sabbath way that is fo sho. It doesn't really fit into their power/speed + Queen sound.

Psst, he was calling BG lame.

Phobophile said:
Psst, he was calling BG lame.

Aww, well that's a shame. :lol

Anyways, I'm thinking some Primordial today at work in anticipation of the new album almost being complete. The Gathering Wilderness is a great album, and I can't wait to see what they bring with the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom