• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
EzLink said:
Okay, Agalloch is just fucking incredible. I've never liked black metal before (and honestly I'm not entirely sure they are considered pure "black metal") but they are simply amazing.

So, if I've never been able to get into black metal before but love Agalloch, who else should I check out?

Try,

Ihsahn - The Adversary
Ihsahn - After
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Bathory - Hammerheart

Not exactly like Agalloch but represent Black Metal in a different guise.

EzLink said:
Okay, Agalloch is just fucking incredible. I've never liked black metal before (and honestly I'm not entirely sure they are considered pure "black metal") but they are simply amazing.

So, if I've never been able to get into black metal before but love Agalloch, who else should I check out?

They aren't like Agalloch, but you may want to give Primordial a shot based on the other bands you like.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
EzLink said:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ulver first two albums - Bergtatt - Et eeventyr i 5 capitler and Kveldssanger which were quite a big influence on agalloch. The first album is black metal with elements of folk, while the second is completely folk with no metal elements.

Could someone explain to me why I'm hearing about Watain concerts smelling like ass? :lol

Also, my quest to get into Agalloch is continuing, thanks to nobody on the internet ever shutting the fuck up about them. I dig this song "Not Unlike the Waves" off of AAtG quite a bit, along with "Falling Snow". I'm a sucker for delightfully smooth melody lines.

Also, am I crazy for having some of this stuff on this album remind me of Mandylion/Nighttime Birds era Gathering? I probably am.

Flynn said:
Nice pics. Did the stench add anything? I guess a sense of revulsion in your gut can put a good dirty spin on music.

The last time I saw them was at Deathfest, and they had huge fans going so your couldn't really smell anything. This week's show was pretty disgusting. Back before the smoking ban, I used to have to wash my hoodie after a concert because it smelled like smoke... I took a sniff of my hoodie yesterday and it smelled halfway between roadkill and an animal shelter. :lol

It really does add to the atmosphere though. I still recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
This was nicely done and some great choices on the music. Of course there will be lots of bickering and arguments over "what's what". :lol Lots of great obscure bands, especially the Canadian black metal ones.

My mind was kinda blown by the Greek stuff.

Flynn

Enosh said:
blackened crust :lol that's seriously a metal genre?

oh and awesome site, love all the little touches like visual kei being on an island made from hello kitty material :D edit: god dammit, should have read the thread to the end -.-

Blackened crust -- a genre of music and the most important part of your pan-seared Halibut.

EzLink

Banned
Does anybody else talk down on bands they've never really given a chance? Not really sure why I'm pondering this at the moment, but I am

For example, I've never given bands like Slipknot or Korn or Killswitch Engage or Epica or Leaves Eyes or Avenged Sevenfold or Dragonforce or Cradle of Filth any other number of bands a shot, yet that doesn't stop me from feeling like I need to exercise caution when taking the musical advice of people who are fans of these groups

What is up with this? The oddest thing is that, although I have no idea quite how I know that these bands are terrible without listening to them, I feel that this intuition has served me well and has kept me from wasting time on music I would hate

Can anyone else relate to this? Did I offend anyone by name dropping a band you like? (If so I apologize, I'm a little drunk :lol)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
EzLink said:
Does anybody else talk down on bands they've never really given a chance? Not really sure why I'm pondering this at the moment, but I am

For example, I've never given bands like Slipknot or Korn or Killswitch Engage or Epica or Leaves Eyes or Avenged Sevenfold or Dragonforce or Cradle of Filth any other number of bands a shot, yet that doesn't stop me from feeling like I need to exercise caution when taking the musical advice of people who are fans of these groups

What is up with this? The oddest thing is that, although I have no idea quite how I know that these bands are terrible without listening to them, I feel that this intuition has served me well and has kept me from wasting time on music I would hate

Can anyone else relate to this? Did I offend anyone by name dropping a band you like? (If so I apologize, I'm a little drunk :lol)

I've listened to them. Never liked them except Korn, and some of Drangonforce's earlier albums. But Cradle of Filth is fuckin shit..I've tried really hard to get into their music honestly however, nothing about their music is decent to be heard by anyone. It's just Halloween themed metal with cool art direction on their album covers.

EzLink said:

Well, I've been pretty good with not bashing bands I haven't heard as I've been getting older. If anything, once I've actually tried listening to a band it turns out I think sucks, I spew even more bile once they come up.

As far as the bands you listed, I actually had a very similar experience with Epica. Always thought they were pretty shit, and frankly I still don't really like their earlier albums but I like the new one quite a bit. Glad I gave it a shot.

Zeke

captive said:
ok be honest which gaffer is this? :lol

340x.gif
thats awesome I'd totally stop and buy a pizza if that guy was out front :lol

Okay GAFs I just finished watching Valhalla Rising and am looking for some Viking Metal outside of Amon Amarth!

Testify on behalf of your viking metal overlords! :D

Edit: Metal Map needs ability to zoom out. Damned metal head webmasters. >:|

El_Victor

Bootaaay said:
A band so metal, that the frontman and songwriter actually died from hypothermia in a snowstorm. Great band, one of the few black metal band I can stand listening to in longer intervals - not sure about what they do that others don't, but they just work for me.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
ACE 1991 said:
Does anyone have some good prog metal recommendations? I'm a huge BTBAM fan, would love some stuff on the harder side.

Dan Swano - Moontower
Atheist - Elements
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams

bounchfx

saw Watain in Montreal this friday... holy fuck, SO good. Everything about their setup was so awesome, except when they brought out dead shit, almost threw up on the spot I gagged so hard. it kinda evened out after 15 minutes but it lingered.. it lingered hard.

black anvil was pretty awesome too.

EzLink

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Well, I've been pretty good with not bashing bands I haven't heard as I've been getting older. If anything, once I've actually tried listening to a band it turns out I think sucks, I spew even more bile once they come up.

As far as the bands you listed, I actually had a very similar experience with Epica. Always thought they were pretty shit, and frankly I still don't really like their earlier albums but I like the new one quite a bit. Glad I gave it a shot.

I didn't mean to imply that I actually go around bashing them. For a while I was a musical elitist, but now for the most part I keep it to myself (or at least I'll be respectful about why I don't think the band is good, which, uh, is how it should have always been)

New Epica is actually good you say? Hmm, perhaps I'll check it out. I can always trust your taste it seems, we mainly like the same stuff

Also let me just say that this is by far one of my favorite threads on GAF. There have been countless links to songs posted by bands I've never heard of that I've absolutely loved. Whenever I have enough time, I'm going to systematically go through this thread and compile a big list. You all have introduced me to some great shit, and my metal taste has expanded tremendously from the days where I would ONLY listen to stuff like Blind Guardian and Ayreon and Angra and stuff. Love it

Flynn

I'm a recovering elitist who still backslides from time to time.

My recent interest in metal is part of that recovery. I had written the music off in the early '90s and pretty much ignored it until a couple of years ago. I'm sorry I did, because I missed out on the whole death metal movement.

I'm not sure, though, if I was capable at that age of being into metal and exploring electronic music at the same time. A lot of my identity was tangle up into what I was into and what I was against.

I'm way too old for that shit now. My identity is what it is and I don't really care about what people think or what the art I consume says about me. I wish I'd come to that point earlier in my life but there's still plenty of time to explore the stuff I missed out on.

That said, I still believe that there is such thing as actively bad music. If I see somebody who I think has tastes that ought to grow into better, more interesting stuff I'm not too shy to do whatever it takes to broaden their interests.

corkscrewblow said:
Then I guess try Liquid Tension Experiment. They're instrumental only but sooo good.
This is wierd, I used to listen to Petruccis solo-stuff quite abit back in the day but for some reason I've never heard LTE. Listened to a few songs now and I really like what I'm hearing. Not a fan of the overall sound since its almost too clean and precise for my tastes, but songs are great thus far. The first minute of Acid rain is some action-packed shit. :lol

Thanks!

Hex

Banned
Picked up my four tickets for Iron Maiden in Tampa in April.
Can not wait for this show.
Blind Guardian in December, Iron Maiden in April.
So good.

ACE 1991

Hey Metal GAF, what to help me with an English project?

I'm trying to find a good song about blood lust that not only says something meaningful and true about it, but that I can critically analyze. Lust for power works too. Sexual lust has already been covered.

I post in this thread every now and again, but I can't think of a song that isn't either one-dimensional nor disgusting :lol

Hex said:
Picked up my four tickets for Iron Maiden in Tampa in April.
Can not wait for this show.

Nice, I've got to wait until August before they play London :(

In other news, Judas Priest have announced their final ever world tour and are confirmed for the following festivals;

9th June Sweden Rock Festival, Sweden
11th June Sauna Festival, Finland
17th June Copenhell Festival, Copenhagen, Denmark
19th June Hellfest, Nantes, France
22nd June Gods of Metal Festival, Milan, Italy
25th June Graspop Festival, Belgium
23rd July High Voltage Festival, London, UK
5th August Wacken Festival, Germany

Totally going to see them at High Voltage, this years festival was great. Dream Theatre are the other headliner next year, although I'm not much of a fan.

Flynn

ACE 1991 said:

I'm trying to find a good song about blood lust that not only says something meaningful and true about it, but that I can critically analyze. Lust for power works too. Sexual lust has already been covered.

I post in this thread every now and again, but I can't think of a song that isn't either one-dimensional nor disgusting :lol

Have you considered War Pigs by Black Sabbath?

ACE 1991 said:

Slayer - Raining Blood
Slayer - At Dawn They Sleep
Slayer - Spill The Blood
Dismember - Sickening Art
Napalm Death - Siege of Power
Terrorizer - Coporation Pull In
Dark Angel - No One Answers
Dark Angel - Pyschosexuality

actually a lot of the later Dark Angel stuff deals with lust, power, suffering, etc...
find all lyrics on darklyrics.com

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hooooly fuck, the new Solefald album is out today! It's called Norrøn Livskunst and you can order it signed from here. I ordered the vinyl version of the album. Can't wait!

solefald.jpg

ACE 1991 said:

Hmmm. . . Not sure if applicable, but I dig these:

In Flames You Burn - Dream Evil
By My Side - Dream Evil

Technically about badass dudes in a badass war; but there's blood lust in them. Killin' f*ckers before you go down. YESSSS!

yacobod

Banned
Giant Robot said:
actually a lot of the later Dark Angel stuff deals with lust, power, suffering, etc...
find all lyrics on darklyrics.com

ya but none of them are actually as cool as....

THE CITY IS GUILTY
CRIME IS LIFE
SENTENCE IS DEATH
DARKNESS DESCENDS

ACE 1991 said:

Manowar has a ton of songs about blood lust in their early career, specifically the first 4 albums. They are very primal and to the point, and I'm not sure how much you can analyze lines such as "Kill without warning, for blood now I lust", or "Rip their flesh, burn their hearts, STAB THEM IN THEIR EYYYEEEESS!"... but hell it's worth a shot right? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom