• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Had a good time at the BG concert. Made it to the very front of the mosh pit and secured my spot front and center. Was pretty great being two feet away from Hansi and Marcus for the duration of the concert, though I was hit in the back of the head by crowd surfers a couple times and there was sometimes a lot of pressure on my body from the couple thousand people directly behind me leaning forward. But that's the nature of things.

The first opening act, Seven Kingdoms, had a female vocalist and the crowd was dead silent except for some pity claps when the singer asked for them. No one in the pit was even in contact with anyone else at this point. Just standing completely still. They weren't bad, the girl actually had a good set of vocal cords, but their audio mixing was off and the guitars were extremely muddy. And the band members looked like a D&D group gone horribly wrong +20 years, except for the vocalist girl in her tight silver pants. But hey, ASOIAF fans, more power to 'em.

The second opening act was Holy Grail, which had about five hardcore fans in my vicinity who were singing along with all of their songs and furiously headbanging, and everyone else got into them slightly more.

I was a little disappointed by War of Wrath + Into the Storm being replaced. But expected it. :( THE FIELD IS LOST. EVERYTHING IS LOST. THE BLACK ONE HAS FALLEN FROM THE SKY AND THE TOWERS IN RUINS LIE. :( I love that opener.

And they played two songs from Twist in the Myth, unfortunately. The audience got into them, but I don't know the lyrics to songs from that album except for Skalds and Shadows.

The crowd sang along with most of the entire songs SO LOUDLY it often drowned out the band. :lol

Great performance though, no complaints there.

Ceres said:
Sabaton and Accept will be opening for Overkill in NYC in April.
http://bestbuytheater.com/eventdetail.php?id=30021

This is supposed to be a rescheduled show so I don't know if this will be a tour package we'll see elsewhere.

Woah, that's a pretty solid show. I'm still not entirely sold on Sabaton in terms of recorded material, but I've heard they bring it live. Accept and Overkill are awesome and coming off of their best albums in years. Sounds like a good one to go to.

Flynn

corpserot said:
Saw them the other night in San Diego. They where just as excellent as they where at Deathfest this year, atmosphere was great too. Smelled like dead animals and my nostrils where black from the candles or whatever watain had going on.

A friend and I actually walked in an hour before the show to hang out at the bar, there was pretty much no one at the venue except crew,etc. but no one was stopping us from going in. So we get to the bar and Watain was just there having some drinks and watching Hercules in New York on the bar TV.

I was out of town when they played L.A. Would like to see them if only for the theatrical presentation, but they rock pretty hard too.

Somebody posted a picture of the band trapping pigeons for their show. I'll have to dig the image up.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Ceres said:
Sabaton and Accept will be opening for Overkill in NYC in April.
http://bestbuytheater.com/eventdetail.php?id=30021

This is supposed to be a rescheduled show so I don't know if this will be a tour package we'll see elsewhere.

It is a full tour. Sabaton would be a fun band to see live.

09.04.11 Orlando, FL
10.04.11 Ft Lauderdale, FL
13.04.11 West Springfield, VA
14.04.11 Philadelphia, PA
16.04.11 New York, NY
17.04.11 Montreal, QUE
18.04.11 Quebec City, QUE
20.04.11 Toronto, ONT
21.04.11 Detroit, MI
22.04.11 Chicago, ILL
24.04.11 Denver, CO
26.04.11 Seattle, WA
27.04.11 Portland, OR
28.04.11 San Francisco, CA
30.04.11 San Diego, CA
01.05.11 Santa Ana, CA
02.05.11 Ventura, CA
04.05.11 Salt Lake City, UT
06.05.11 Odessa, TX
07.05.11 Houston, TX

faridmon

I bought Inhuman Rampage a week ago. The worst Metal Album I have heard in long time. Too bad as Through the Fire and Flam ais quite good song.

faridmon

I have seen Childeren of Bodom around here and I think they have fallen from thier grace. A great Album, a better Album and then an awful cover songs Album and even worse Album is thier histrory which I am pissed at.

Ceres

Banned
sazabirules said:
It is a full tour. Sabaton would be a fun band to see live.

09.04.11 Orlando, FL
10.04.11 Ft Lauderdale, FL
13.04.11 West Springfield, VA
14.04.11 Philadelphia, PA
16.04.11 New York, NY
17.04.11 Montreal, QUE
18.04.11 Quebec City, QUE
20.04.11 Toronto, ONT
21.04.11 Detroit, MI
22.04.11 Chicago, ILL
24.04.11 Denver, CO
26.04.11 Seattle, WA
27.04.11 Portland, OR
28.04.11 San Francisco, CA
30.04.11 San Diego, CA
01.05.11 Santa Ana, CA
02.05.11 Ventura, CA
04.05.11 Salt Lake City, UT
06.05.11 Odessa, TX
07.05.11 Houston, TX

It's a full tour for Accept and Sabaton. Overkill is the NY date only.

faridmon said:
I bought Inhuman Rampage a week ago. The worst Metal Album I have heard in long time. Too bad as Through the Fire and Flam ais quite good song.

Valley of the Damned and Sonic Firestorm are good albums. I find IR to be their worst by quite a bit.

Also, that Accept/Sabaton tour is coming to Philly on my birthday, which is pretty sweet! I may actually go, we'll see. I adore Accept's new album. It's ridiculously good.

Edit: And on CoB, they have not been particularly good for a very long time now. I saw them 5 times in the span of one year a while back (they toured with EVERYONE, kind of like Blackguard now), probably right around the release of Hate Crew Deathroll and if that wasn't enough to burn me out on them, then their putrid releases since then surely have done the deed. It's a shame, because Something Wild through Follow the Reaper are all very good. Hate Crew Deathroll is ok, but the riffs started becoming too "chugga chugga" there.

Ceres

Banned
sazabirules said:
I knew that. I forgot to put that in my post.

K, just didn't want people to get confused ;)
They also happen to have a free date on the Friday of the NE Hardcore and Metal Fest so we might see them on that bill. Although bands tend to save a free date for NYC so they have a day to explore the city.

And Sabaton is a fun band to see live. They were awesome at PP last year.

faridmon

TheLastCandle said:
Valley of the Damned and Sonic Firestorm are good albums. I find IR to be their worst by quite a bit.
Yeah, I should have bought those instead. I just boutgh IH because of ''Through the Fire and Flames'' which was sort of worth it but wasn't as the same time.

Will try to buy those some other time.

Finally received the new Darkwater album "Where Stories End."

NeSHL.jpg

Next to Seventh Wonder's new album coming out next month, this was my most eagerly awaited prog-metal album. Darkwater only has one other album and if you like prog-metal in the vein of Dream Theater and Circus Maximus, I highly recommend you check them out. They are relatively unknown, even to Prog fans, but they definitely can hold their own. The first album has trademark progressive metal traits such as longer songs, instrumental breaks, weird time signatures, and proficient musicians that can play very well.

The new album is a nice step up. The production is better(not that the first album was bad) and the melodic style is back from the first release. Not sure if I like it more than the first album yet, but I still need to listen to it more, and it seems like a great entry into the prog metal world.

I know this thread is mostly filled with black metal fans, but I know theres one or two prog metal fans in this thread that may find this interesting. :D

faridmon said:
I have seen Childeren of Bodom around here and I think they have fallen from thier grace. A great Album, a better Album and then an awful cover songs Album and even worse Album is thier histrory which I am pissed at.
The covers album was merely an assorted listing of every cover they have recorded in their previous discography. They were usually just bonus' for singles or b-sides. Nothing too serious about it and it is nice to have some awesome and funny covers in one place without having to download them.

What albums are you referring to out of curiosity?

Flynn said:
I wish! Do you live in Europe?

Yeah, been living in Amsterdam for almost 2 years now. I missed RB last year, not this time, I already got my tickets! :D

Godflesh, finally I'll be able to see them! Playing the whole Streetcleaner album and Tiny Tears EP, no less! :)

Flynn

bytesized said:
Yeah, been living in Amsterdam for almost 2 years now. I missed RB last year, not this time, I already got my tickets! :D

Godflesh, finally I'll be able to see them! Playing the whole Streetcleaner album and Tiny Tears EP, no less! :)

I think Roadburn might be in my future, but not this year. I expect a full report from you.

bytesized said:

:envious:

ugghhhhhhh, last time i saw anything Justin Broadrick related was JESU a few years ago. Expect some faulty equipment and delays :lol

bounchfx

Flynn said:
Anybody seen Watain on this tour? I'm hearing they're up to some craziness.

going next friday to the Montreal show. pretty hyped!

also, saw Blind Guardian last weekend - was incredible. Really, really great set and audience participation.. by far one of the most epic shows I've ever been to and one of my favorite shows ever. shame they didn't play any Night at the Opera stuff live though. Still, incredible.

Flynn

Decibel's top 40 of 2010.

Decibel's Top 40 of 2010
1. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
2. Watain - Lawless Darkness
3. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
4. Dawnbringer - Nucleus
5. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
6. Torche - Songs for Singles
7. Ludicra - The Tenant
8. Thou - Summit
9. Nails - Unsilent Death
10. The Austerity Program - Backsliders and Apostates Will Burn
11. Castevet - Mounds of Ash
12. Immolation - Majesty and Decay
13. Sailors With Wax Wings - Sailors With Wax Wings
14. Coliseum - House With a Curse
15. Horseback - The Invisible Mountain
16. Kylesa - Spiral Shadow
17. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
18. Burzum - Belus
19. Atheist - Jupiter
20. Electric Wizard - Black Masses
21. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
22. Kvelertak - Kvelertak
23. Integrity - The Blackest Curse
24. Ghost - Opus Eponymous
25. Withered - Dualitas
26. Pivixki - Gravissima
27. Fear Factory - Mechanize
28. Unearthly Trance - V
29. Christian Mistress - Agony & Opium
30. Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle Part II
31. Deftones - Diamond Eyes
32. Father Befouled - Morbid Destitution of Covenant
33. The Body - All the Waters of the Earth Turn to Blood
34. Early Graves - Goner
35. Intronaut - Valley of Smoke
36. Decrepit Birth - Polarity
37. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
38. Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds
39. Lantlos - .Neon
40. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons

EzLink

Banned
I am happy to FINALLY be able report first hand just how kickass of a show Blind Guardian puts on!

Good god though, I have NEVER been in the midst of a crowd that was so insane. The fuckers in the crowd were absolutely nuts. I was towards the front, with only a couple of people between me and the rail in front of the stage. The very second they walked on stage I felt the weight of dozens of metal heads slam into my back and crush me against the person in front of me. This is how it was for the first five songs. To give you an idea of just how little exaggeration I'm using, if everyone in the crowd had been naked my dick would have been so far up the ass of the dude in front of me that he would have prayed for a quick and merciful death. I would have loved to back up, except I was facing a similar problem with a dick up my ass as well. I literally had to shove the person next to me aside just to have enough room to move my arm to throw the horns up. I eventually had to leave the crowd to get a drink and take a breather because I felt like I my internal organs had been irreversibly squished. But of course I fought my way back to the front (much to the dismay of all the people I had to "intimately" pass by in the process)

The setlist was absolutely flawless. Banished from Sanctuary, And then there was Silence, Lord of the Rings, Valhalla, Nightfall, almost all of my favorites were there. Of course Sacred Worlds and Wheel of Time were phenomenal too. And words can't describe the feeling I had while singing The Bards Song with the Bards themselves. Amazing

But yeah, biggest surprise was definitely that people were going crazier to songs about dragons and Lord of the Rings than what I saw from the crowd at, say, Metallica. And looking around the crowd, at least 70% of the people were singing every goddam lyric. I've never seen a band so loved by the audience... it was as if everyone there was as big of a fan as myself, something I really wasn't expecting

Also Hansi was great at introducing songs

"Hello, I'm Peter Pan, and I'm going to teach you how to Fly"

"What, you want me to stop talking and move on to the next song? I guess I'm used to people not wanting to hear what I have to say, because I was BORN IN A MOURNING HALL!"

"This next song is about Morgoth. He's tough, but we have 600 people here on our side. We need to beat the shit out of the bastard, otherwise we all may die when TIME STANDS STILL AT THE IRON HILL!" I was cracking up :lol

EzLink said:
Banished from Sanctuary, And then there was Silence

Jealous. So, so jealous.

Glad I'm not the only one a bit shocked by the intensity of the crowd on this tour. I'm no concert noob, but I didn't see it coming. I'm glad it was like that though, added to the experience. Then again, I was up front so I didn't have my dick up some dude's cornhole like you did. :lol

TheLastCandle said:
So, the Blind Guardian show was... FUCKAWESOME.

Just wanted to pipe in and say I was at the same show you were and everything you said was true. I was an amazing, unforgettable experience. So great to hear them live after being a listener for the better part of a decade.

EzLink

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Jealous. So, so jealous.

Glad I'm not the only one a bit shocked by the intensity of the crowd on this tour. I'm no concert noob, but I didn't see it coming. I'm glad it was like that though, added to the experience. Then again, I was up front so I didn't have my dick up some dude's cornhole like you did. :lol

I could not believe my luck when they started banished. One of my favorite songs of theirs, and one I was sure I wouldn't hear. Silence was tons of fun too, especially during the part towards the end where there is the happy sounding "oooohhhhh" going on. There was a big line of people, we all had our arms around each other and were hopping and skipping around like merry fools while singing that

Then right after Silence they bust out Wheel. What a great combo

You got to see Traveler in Time and Imaginations though!

Flynn

Phobophile said:
God most of those albums are fucking completely boring.

I can't speak to all of them, but I usually use stuff like this for exploring new records. Anything you like on there? I'm kinda crazy about the Agalloch record.

I like these:
6. Torche - Songs for Singles
16. Kylesa - Spiral Shadow
29. Christian Mistress - Agony & Opium
30. Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle Part II

Have this on order:
20. Electric Wizard - Black Masses

Have been circling this:
24. Ghost - Opus Eponymous

Phobophile said:
God most of those albums are fucking completely boring.

I'll admit that the only album on that list that I'm interested in hearing is the Enslaved album, but I think Decibel covers metal that I don't regularly listen to, so it's understandable.

Anyways, been listening to a lot of the new(ish) Angra. I REALLY enjoy it so far. I'd say it's their most progressive album yet, and has some really surprising moments. More to come on that later.

Decibel really likes Watain for some reason. Sworn to the Dark was #2 in 2007. I don't think either of them is really special

My favourites so far are:
1 Tryptikon - Eparistera Daimones
2 Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
3 Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
4 Melechesh - The Epigenesis

Other favourites:
Ihsahn - After
Alcest - Écailles de lune
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Negură Bunget - Vîrstele pămîntului
Immolation - Majesty and Decay

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
From Decibel's list, I like these ones:

1. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
8. Thou - Summit
9. Nails - Unsilent Death (one of the best sounding metal records I've heard in a long time)
11. Castevet - Mounds of Ash
13. Sailors With Wax Wings - Sailors With Wax Wings
15. Horseback - The Invisible Mountain
18. Burzum - Belus
33. The Body - All the Waters of the Earth Turn to Blood
34. Early Graves - Goner (probably wouldn't have heard of this band if the singer hadn't died when their van crashed -- bummer)
35. Intronaut - Valley of Smoke

Sailors With Wax Wings is probably in my top three or so of the year, but it's barely metal. And :lol at that Torche record being so high, it's pretty terrible.

yacobod

Banned
only new metal album i enjoyed this year was "circle the wagons" darkthrone, but i havent listened to a lot of new metal this year. the big releases from maiden and blind guardian were disappointments.

Mileena

Banned
my top 3 would probably be:
1. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void
2. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
3. Kalmah - 12 Gauge

Flynn

I love these lists, people. I thank you for your suggestions. And my Amazon mp3 shopping list thanks you.

Looking over the list I'm kinda surprised that Slough Feg and Salome didn't make the cut.

top 10 so far (though still havent heard the new: Atheist, Kylesa, Watain, and even Tryptikon)

1. Ihsahn - After
2. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
3. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
4. Skagos / Panopticon split
5. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
6. Castevet - Mounds of Ash
7. Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon
8. Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom
9. Burzum - Belus
10. Brann Barr - Sidh

4mnc9.jpg

O2Wqw.jpg

Went to see Watain last night in Cleveland. It was an amazing show. The stench was absolutely awful though, hahaha. Goatwhore put on a good show, and of course Watain was incredible. Only shitty thing: I bought a shirt, but dropped it accidentally while Watain was playing. I never found it, someone got a free shirt and I walked away empty handed. :/

Edit: If anyone is seeing them during the next three days in New York, Montreal, or Toronto, PM me. I want to see if I can still get one of those shirts. They are nowhere to be found online.

Flynn

Nice pics. Did the stench add anything? I guess a sense of revulsion in your gut can put a good dirty spin on music.

EzLink

Banned
Okay, Agalloch is just fucking incredible. I've never liked black metal before (and honestly I'm not entirely sure they are considered pure "black metal") but they are simply amazing.

So, if I've never been able to get into black metal before but love Agalloch, who else should I check out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom